CBCT 2007 at UCI on 11/10/2007

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
r.g.anderson
Lulu

CBCT 2007 at UCI on 11/10/2007

Post by r.g.anderson »

Players and coaches,

The College Bowl Club at UCI is pleased to present CBCT 2007 on November 10, 2007, at the University of California at Irvine.

Webpage (with announcement details) can be found at

http://www.clubs.uci.edu/qbc/CBCT2007/CBCT2007.html

If you have questions, please contact me at r.g.anderson "at" gmail dot com.

Ray Anderson
College Bowl Club at UCI
r.g.anderson
Lulu

Post by r.g.anderson »

This announcement is also posted at the socalHSquizbowl listserv on Google Groups. If you are a SoCal player or coach, I would encourage you to join this new, centralized listserv for all HS quizbowl happenings in Southern California. If you want to join, please search for the group on Google Groups, or email me at the address above, and I will add you.

Ray Anderson
College Bowl Club at UCI
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

UCI has reached its cap for this tournament. We are endeavoring to find ways to raise the cap so we can accommodate all interested teams. If you read this board and are interested in attending but haven't signed up yet, I suggest you e-mail the TD (Ray) as soon as possible.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Quick results:

Rancho Bernardo A went undefeated (12-0) to win the tournament. Arcadia A finished second at 10-2 (losing both games on the last or second-to-last tossup, I believe) and Rancho Bernardo B finished third at 9-3. Stats will be on the UCI Quizbowl website once Ray has enough time to finish all the stats. Congratulations to all teams that came, and thanks for dealing with our attempts to correct for 3(!) no-shows.
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

I wanna say thanks to the staff at UCI. Besides the no shows, it was a very smoothly run tournament. Our team could not believe how quickly the tournament was over with. Moderators were good too (though for some reason i could not score at all with one moderator, nothing on him of course) It was very enjoyable, and thanks especially for the trophies and the books!
ntan
Lulu

Post by ntan »

thanks for a well run tournament. this particular set of packets was also quite enjoyable to play with
r.g.anderson
Lulu

Post by r.g.anderson »

cvdwightw wrote:Quick results:

Rancho Bernardo A went undefeated (12-0) to win the tournament. Arcadia A finished second at 10-2 (losing both games on the last or second-to-last tossup, I believe) and Rancho Bernardo B finished third at 9-3. Stats will be on the UCI Quizbowl website once Ray has enough time to finish all the stats. Congratulations to all teams that came, and thanks for dealing with our attempts to correct for 3(!) no-shows.
Full stats can be found here:

http://www.clubs.uci.edu/qbc/CBCT2007/C ... dings.html

20 teams showed up, so the top three teams above qualify for HSNCT.

Thanks to all the teams who showed up and made CBCT great. Thanks also to the quiz bowl club at UCLA for providing moderator assistance.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I am most disappointed to see that, despite the recent efforts by the qb community to improve his question writing/subway molesting ability, Hard Gay couldn't quite hit the 220 ppg mark for this tournament. Sei Sei Sei indeed.

Some of the people who are planning to do yet another incarnation of Reservoir Dogs pseudonyms for their next tournament might want to instead consider adopting the monikers of disturbing Japanese television personalities, a title I came ever so close to holding. I am still searching for a tape of the commercial for our Japan game that calls Chris Higgins "the beast of science" and shows a gorilla picture next to him, if you have it (I'm looking at you, Daichi), please contact me.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
r.g.anderson
Lulu

Looking for Troy HS from Anaheim, CA

Post by r.g.anderson »

Hello,

I am looking for at least one member from Troy HS in Anaheim to contact me at r.g.anderson at gmail dot com. Troy was one of the no-shows at our CBCT tournament about a month ago, and we have some unfinished business with this particular club. I've repeatedly tried to email their contact person who registered for the tournament (Brady Yoon) but have not received any response; it would be to the club's benefit if someone got in contact with me. If you know an active member of this particular HS club, I would greatly appreciate it if you could notify them of this message.

Thanks, and have a great day.

Ray Anderson
TD - CBCT 2007
College Bowl Club at UCI
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

we have some unfinished business
Damn.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

No one wants to go to PACE from this event? Are you UCI folks going to give this team "the business"???
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
ntan
Lulu

Post by ntan »

i didnt know teams could qualify for pace from this event (if it is in fact possible). as far as i know, i dont think there have been any pace-affiliated events in the area sadly. the format and the questions always sorta intrigued me a little
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

PACE qualification consists of the TD notifying me that they want their tournament to qualify for the NSC. While there is a preference for toss/bonus formats, it need not be run in PACE format. We just request that the entire tournament have preliminary play (meaning the entire tournament is not single elimination).

Post hoc qualification is also possible.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
r.g.anderson
Lulu

PACE qualifying

Post by r.g.anderson »

Will Run PACE for Reese's wrote: We just request that the entire tournament have preliminary play (meaning the entire tournament is not single elimination).

Post hoc qualification is also possible.
The tournament had a preliminary round, reseeding into two top brackets of six (and two bottom brackets of four), and reseeding play. I believe I posted results already. If not, they can be found here. UCI would be fine with post-hoc qualifying for PACE, but we may be running a Spring event explicitly for PACE (you would have to check with Dwight Wynne on that as I'm not TDing a fourth tournament in a year).
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

No problem. Let me know if there are any teams that would be interested.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Dr. Chuck:

Yeah, we'll do post-hoc qualification, especially since it looks like given our twenty-team field we'd be able to qualify a team or two that got shafted out of HSNCT qualification by the no-shows. Speaking of which, how would you handle a fourth-place tie for qualification (and if you say head-to-head, we can't break based on head-to-head since the teams split their games)? We don't do any kind of elimination-style tournaments here so we inevitably have ties like this happen.

Also, we're looking into running a separate PACE qualifying event in spring, although when PACE tried that late qualifying thing last year UCLA got a total of 1 interested team, so I'll check around and see if any of the NAQT tournaments in the winter want to qualify for both HSNCT and NSC.