CSI II (12/15/07) @ Cave Spring HS (Roanoke, VA)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
kamikaze
Rikku

CSI II (12/15/07) @ Cave Spring HS (Roanoke, VA)

Post by kamikaze »

I am happy to announce the 2nd annual Cave Spring Invitational (CSI) will take place at Cave Spring High School in scenic SW VA. Roanoke, to be exact. We've scheduled our tournament for December 15, 2007. I understand that it's close to many school's winter breaks and there's a possibility of snow but we'll make it worth your time.

The format of the untimed match will be in three rounds:
Round 1: Lightning Round - short questions, usually one or two sentence clues
Round 2: Category Round - a directed round with bouncebacks
Round 3: Pyramid Round - tossups with non-related bonuses (similar to NAQT style)

* They are in-house questions however they will be edited, once again, by the illustrious Shawn Pickrell, editor of the VHSL questions.
* We are planning on five prelim rounds with a single elimination playoff for now. However, depending on how many teams show up, we may be able to pull off a double-elimination like last year.
* It looks like we are keeping the audio and visual questions and bonuses. It seemed to go over well last year.
* We're giving out hardware for the top THREE (last year it was top two) teams as well as individual awards. Yes, a special award still goes to the individual with the most negs.
* NEW THIS YEAR! We're planning on doing a mini-tournament for Coaches ONLY! Yes, coaches, you too can play for fame, prizes and glory! Don't worry... your round will not interfere with your coaching duties. More details forthcoming...

Costs: $50 for the first team from each school
$40 for each subsequent team (no limit)
$15 for a hard copy of the question sets, $10 for an electronic copy
-$10 per working buzzer system
-$5 for early registration (November 14, 2007)

We will take registrations up until December 13th. If you want more specific information about the tournament, lodging, format or if you want to register your team(s), you can e-mail me at csquizbowl <at> yahoo <dot> com. My team and I look forward to meeting you all. Thank you.

Bob Powers
Academic Team Coach & Tournament Director
Cave Spring High School
Last edited by kamikaze on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mknupp
Lulu

Post by mknupp »

This is a GREAT tournament. We went last year and had a very good experience.

Matt Knupp
Russell HS, KY
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

We're going on overnight trips the two weekends prior, so I don't know if we can do a third straight trip. I'll run it by the team.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

I'll probably have a team or two there... It was an enjoyable experience last year. It was very well done, especially considering it was a first event. I would expect it to only be improved this year.

Matt Beeken
Auburn HS
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

One of my teammates thought he remembered last year's tournament being a PACE qualifier...so, two questions: 1) Was it? and 2) Is it this year? Gov also had an awesome time last year.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

1) I don't think we advertised last year's tournament as a PACE qualifier. We never got permission to do so... but 2) we did this year. I got the go ahead to bill our tournament this year as a PACE qualifier. Added bonus. I hope MWGS comes back to defend their title!

* Also, we've got some more details on the mini-coaches tournament. First, it'll be open to all adults associated with the teams, so if chaperones and parents want to play, they can. In the morning, they'll have a worksheet when you register and a certain amount of time to work on it (no help from their teams though). The players with the highest scores will compete in a small buzzer round at the end of lunch and before the playoffs and awards ceremony. Top adults will receive prizes/trophies (we're looking into a couple of things right now).
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
(2022 - ?) Tournament Director, Blacksburg HS
(2021 - 2022) Scholastic Bowl coach, Eastern Montgomery HS
(2005 - 2020) Scholastic Bowl coach, Cave Spring HS
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Awesome. MLWGS is definitely interested in coming; we just don't have a number of teams set yet.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

yes! This was probably one of my favorite tournaments from all of last year. I'm pretty sure were going to be there with a lot of teams like last year.
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

For those of you who may be traveling and want hotel accommodations, I managed to get a deal with the Quality Inn Tanglewood. Call (540) 989-4000 and tell them you want a hotel for the "CSI". Rates are $59 per room (comes to $67.19 after tax), which is fairly cheap and it's a hotel close to our location as well as 81/581/460 and some local restaurants and a mall. They have some double rooms that you can stuff kids into it, if you want, and have some amenities. If you have any problems with reserving rooms, contact James Justis at the same number.

If you were wondering why the change in hotels from last year, the Holiday Inn is packed and couldn't offer us the same rate or doubles. They have the Alonzo Stagg bowl game going on the same weekend. Don't worry... it's only the NCAA Division III Championship so the city will not be packed. :P The Quality Inn is further down the road from the school but if you're looking for a place to sleep, it'll do the trick.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
rallred
Kimahri

Post by rallred »

Harnett Central HS would like to send 1 team. How do we register? Also, how far is it from Raleigh, NC ? Thanks
Rodney Allred
School Counselor/Quiz Bowl Coach
Harnett Central High School
Angier, NC

"Our chief want in life is someone who will make us do what we can" Ralph Waldo Emerson
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Please fill out the following form at http://members.cox.net/kamikaze1/CSILetter.doc
Once you're done with that, send the form to the following e-mail address: csquizbowl <at> yahoo <dot> com.

As for the distance between here and Raleigh, I've been there for Raleigh Charter's tournaments a couple of times now. It's really never taken me more than 3 hours (and that's with me getting lost... I'm sorry but your roads and signs need some work). If you guys have any difficulties with the file or any other questions, feel free to shoot out an e-mail at the previous address or post a response on the board. Thanks.

EDIT: Fixed link to the registration letter
Last edited by kamikaze on Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Bump with a field update (10/31):

Registered teams:
Honaker (2 teams)

Expressed interest:
Collegiate
Maggie Walker
Raleigh Charter (NC)
William Byrd
Auburn
Hidden Valley
Harnett Central (NC)
Blessed Sacrament Huguenot
Russell (KY)
Parry McCluer
Rappahannock County

* Also, we have a report on prizes for the inaugural Coaches Challenge (open to all adults in connection with participating schools; no fee necessary). You will be playing for trophies AND gift certificates to various major chain restaurant and places.
* Letters of invite (both hard and electronic copy) will go later this week. Happy Halloween to you all BTW.

EDIT: Updated the updated field update
Last edited by kamikaze on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
mknupp
Lulu

Post by mknupp »

I could not get to the link to register. Russell would like to enter 2 teams. Can you email me the form so I can file the PO? My email is [email protected]

Thanks
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Bump with a field update (11/12)... remember, early registration deadline ends Wednesday, November 14th.

Registered teams:
Honaker (2 teams)
Parry McCluer (1 team)
Collegiate (1 team)
Maggie Walker (4 teams)
Bassett (1 team)
Lebanon (2 teams)
Eastern Montgomery (1 team)
Rappahannock County (2 teams)
Auburn (2 teams)
TW Andrews (NC) (2 teams)

"Foot in the door": (got space reserved, just waiting on the official registration form to come through)
Harnett Central (NC) (1 team)
Russell (KY) (2 teams)

Expressed interest:
Raleigh Charter (NC)
William Byrd
Hidden Valley
Blessed Sacrament Huguenot
Bath County

EDIT: Updated the field update
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

Rappahannock County High is beginning to set up logistics for our bus trip down there. We're three hours away, and we were wondering, at what time will we need to be there in order to check-in?
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Registration, breakfast, and the qualifying for the Coach's Challenge is pretty much happening any time between 8:00 to 8:45. A introductory meeting will be held and then our first round is probably going to go off at 9am. Here's also another field update with like less than 3 weeks to go:

Registered teams:
Honaker (2 teams)
Parry McCluer (1 team)
Collegiate (1 team)
Maggie Walker (4 teams)
Bassett (1 team)
Lebanon (2 teams)
Auburn (2 teams)
Blessed Sacrament Huguenot (2 teams)

"Foot in the door": (got space reserved, just waiting on the official registration form to come through)
Russell (KY) (2 teams)

Expressed interest:
William Byrd
Hidden Valley
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Well, with less than a week to go... here's another field update. Not bad considering... 13 schools with 24 teams representing 4 different states. I was hoping someone from WV would come so we could make it five but oh well. If anyone from Harnett Central reads this board, I need to know if you're still coming and how many buzzers you're bringing.

Registered teams:
Honaker (2 teams)
Parry McCluer (1 team)
Collegiate (1 team)
Maggie Walker (4 teams)
Bassett (1 team)
Lebanon (2 teams)
Auburn (2 teams)
Blessed Sacrament Huguenot (2 teams)
Russell (KY) (3 teams)
Happy Valley (TN) (1 team)

Expressed interest:
William Byrd
Hidden Valley
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

Unfortunately, as a result of the end of the world blizzard, our superintendent will not allow us to be in attendance tomorrow. While I am not happy about this decision, I guess I have to live with it. Oh well.
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

OK... looks the like the tournament is still on. The weather for our area is not as bad as it seems with the only nastiness being a late afternoon icy rain at 40%.

Anyhoo, we are also making adjustments to our schedule to possibly get you out of here well before 4, possibly even 3 (maybe sooner). We're thinking about cutting a prelim round to get to playoffs sooner. We are doing our best to try to trim the fat and get you out of here ASAP.

If you find that you don't want to risk your team's life, I can understand (sort of :P). Anyway, you can contact me via this message board, at either csquizbowl <at> yahoo <dot> com ... . I'll be checking all three until registration tomorrow morning.

We're looking forward to seeing you here. Thanks.

[ETC: Removed telephone number.]
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Looks like we had a good showing. 17 teams managed to make it and we got them out of here without incident (I hope). I hope you guys make it back to wherever you're coming from and here are the final standings:

1. Maggie Walker A
2. Collegiate
3. Russell A
4. Maggie Walker B
5. Russell B
6. Honaker A
t7. Auburn A
t7. Maggie Walker C
9. Russell C
10. Lebanon A
t11. Bassett
t11. Honaker B
13. TW Andrews A
14. Auburn B
t15. Eastern Montgomery
t15. Lebanon B

Top individuals:
1. Ryan Thompson, Russell A, 78.75 PPG (also Neg King)
2. Katie Rabalais, Russell B, 53.75 PPG
3. Greg Tito, Maggie Walker A, 51.25 PPG
4. Sarah Angelo, Maggie Walker A, 47.5 PPG
5. Red Jaguar, Collegiate, 45 PPG
t6. Andrew Goodfellow, Maggie Walker A, 40 PPG
t6. Alan Chang, Maggie Walker C, 40 PPG
8. Jordon Van Dyke, Honaker A, 38.75 PPG
9. Cameron Orth, Maggie Walker B, 37.5 PPG
10. Olmec, Collegiate, 30 PPG

Top 4 Coaches:
1. Marvin H. Ballard, Eastern Montgomery, 60 pts
2. Matt Knupp, Russell, 45 pts
3. Bob ?, Maggie Walker, 15 pts
4. Dr. John Barnes, Maggie Walker, 10 pts
5. Joe Johnson, Bassett, 10 pts (but lost the tie breaker to #4)

Congratulations to Maggie Walker for winning our tournament for a second straight year in a row as well as those who participated. We all hope everyone enjoyed themselves and had a good time. Hopefully, the weather hasn't been too much trouble on your drive home. All the individual stats will be posted after I have a few drinks and take a nap.
Last edited by kamikaze on Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Maggie Walker made it home safely and had an awesome time. One suggestion I would make though, would be to work on your distribution a bit and also to try to eliminate repeats where possible. Okay, so that's two suggestions. But you may find them helpful, as your program is still pretty new. The tournament itself was well run, lunch was well organized, and you guys did an excellent job of getting us out in a timely fashion. Repeats can be hard to catch (several got through at our tournament and we were on GSAC XV), but if you set up a distribution and then make packets from a master answer list it makes life much easier. The format and audio/visual were also pretty cool and definitely make your tournament distinctive.
Sam L,
PACE
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:Maggie Walker made it home safely and had an awesome time. One suggestion I would make though, would be to work on your distribution a bit and also to try to eliminate repeats where possible. Okay, so that's two suggestions.
I will claim some/most of the blame there, as I did not get the edited packets to Mr. Powers in time. I'm not sure if he had much time other than to make the changes I suggested, and I'm not sure I caught all the repeats.
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

Alright, I definitely agree that distribution needs to be changed quite a bit as it may have greatly affected some rather important games if some questions were a bit more balanced and/or academic. I would say that repeats are probably not worth worrying about as they're bound to happen, but one avoidable error was certainly a focus on biographical clues and overall questions on people. A focus on some works or even characters could separate real knowledge from people who have read the life stories of authors. And one final vent: difficulty could probably have greatly increased on early clues in the pyramidal round to let people who have real knowledge about topics avoid buzzer races; for example, the most difficult author was still very recognizable to all and was a lightning round question.
So I am not misunderstood here, I did enjoy my day but did actually prefer the inaugural version, possibly because the tournament is one of the most accessible to new and building teams.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

a focus on biographical clues and overall questions on people
he really hates that...
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

wowitsquinthaha wrote:
a focus on biographical clues and overall questions on people
he really hates that...
Because it's frustrating. It doesn't test lit knowledge. However, I'm not above admitting that in my early career as a QE (meaning this summer) I had a lot of the same problems. I was just fortunate to have guidance from some older players and get that worked out this summer in time to fix everything up for GSAC. I also agree that this is an excellent tournament for building/new teams, as our three freshmen and one sophomore C Team last year was able to do quite well (5th place). The difficulty level is definitely more accessible to younger/newer teams than some other tournaments. However, I do agree that harder clues need to be placed at the beginning of the pyramidal toss-ups.
Sam L,
PACE
mknupp
Lulu

Post by mknupp »

Russell made it home fine. We had to drive throught rain, but no snow/sleet.

We enjoyed the tournament quite a bit. I would encourage any team who has not been to CSI to try to make it next year. It is well worth the trip.
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

We have the results finally figured out and formatted and what not: http://members.cox.net/~kamikaze1/2007Stats.xls

Hard copies were given out. Those of you who did not attend but sent money ahead of time, you will be getting your refunds after the new year. Finally, the electronic copy of the questions will be sent out in a few days as well with the copy of the statistics.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School