Funny Covers

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Funny Covers

Post by Trevkeeper »

Are there are any covers of songs that make you laugh out loud? Parodies such as stuff by Weird Al excluded, of course.

The two I can think of are Boyz-N-The-Hood by Dynamite Hack and a certain Ben Folds version of a Dr. Dre song (I'm not exactly sure on the language rules in the off topic forum, so...yeah).
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

The Gourds' version of Gin n' Juice.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Jessica Simpson's cover of "These boots are made for walking," except the original makes me laugh even more it's so bad.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:Jessica Simpson's cover of "These boots are made for walking," except the original makes me laugh even more it's so bad.
You should check out the Operation Ivy version.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

The Bloodhound Gang's cover of Along Comes Mary by The Association is catchy on its own, but in the context of the rest of the album it's hilarious.

And of course, there's always Eric Cartman's cover of Come Sail Away by Styx.

Youtube links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sywxzJDeKV4 (BHG)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOWK7Tam01M (Cartman)
Last edited by No Sollositing On Premise on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

The Ben Folds cover of "Bit**** ain't Sh**" (just in case) is a funny idea, but to me the song ends up being kind of sad and beautiful sung straight-faced as a piano ballad. The end where the narrator (?) has to "uncock his sh**" and blast his little cousin is rendered tragic!

Best "Boots Are Made for Walkin' Cover" has to be the one by Crispin Glover, recorded right about the time he almost kicked Letterman in the face.

Also fun is the Hayseed Dixie full album of bluegrass covers of AC/DC songs, which work as novelty bits and as good pickin. They've also done Dark Side of the Moon.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Let's not forget Leonard Nimoy's cover of Proud Mary from the Golden Throats album, and Joshua Rifkin's arrangements of Beatles songs in The Baroque Beatles Book.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Graveworm's cover of REM's "Losing My Religion" is horrible enough to make me laugh.
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

In case anyone has not yet seen it, Alanis Morissette's take on My Humps is pretty spectacular. Take that in whatever context you choose.

Otherwise, I'd say anything by Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine, although that may be too close to Weird Al territory.
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Rocket Man? Can I get a William Shatner anyone?
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

You can say "Bitches Ain't Shit" in the off topic forum, as it's an actual song title. I mean, c'mon people, we admins check context and such.

To contribute: Jebediah Parker's "Hey Ya."
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Just wait til October 16....

for ... Yo! Indie Rock Raps

you can check out a preview at myspace .... http://www.myspace.com/yoindierockraps

my favourite is the preview of Max Bemis of Say Anything covering Old Dirty Bastard's "Got Your Money" .... it's gonna be some awesome stuff when released
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

leftsaidfred wrote:You can say "Bitches Ain't Shit" in the off topic forum, as it's an actual song title. I mean, c'mon people, we admins check context and such.

To contribute: Jebediah Parker's "Hey Ya."
Hey, Fred:

It's Obadiah, not Jebediah, though the singer looks a lot like Jebediah Springfield.

Rodrigo Y Gabriela's version of Stairway to Heaven makes me smile, because it might actually mean Stairway to Heaven will make it into Guitar Hero III.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

haha .... i could see them doing that

i also like the "one" cover
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

leftsaidfred wrote:You can say "Bitches Ain't Shit" in the off topic forum, as it's an actual song title. I mean, c'mon people, we admins check context and such.

To contribute: Jebediah [sic] Parker's "Hey Ya."
I forgot about the Obadiah Parker version of "Hey Ya," that is a pretty decent song. I was amazed that that cover actually found its way onto Jeopardy.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

styxman wrote:Hey, Fred:

It's Obadiah, not Jebediah, though the singer looks a lot like Jebediah Springfield.
!!!

The Internet has failed me like never before, then. Apologies for the screw up.

Also, I want to bring up Alien Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal", Ben Folds Five's live cover of "Champagne Supernova", Cake's "I Will Survive" and the acts Vanilla Fudge and Richard Cheese & Lounge Against the Machine.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

leftsaidfred wrote:Also, I want to bring up Alien Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal"
Amen. Add to that The Ataris' "Boys of Summer" and Disturbed's "Land of Confusion". What the hell is it with the '80s and punk covers?

I would love to see a modern version of "We Are the World", while we're throwing out laughable cover projects.

Eric
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

DeisEvan last night wrote:anything by Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine
leftsaidfred this morning wrote:Richard Cheese & Lounge Against the Machine
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

The Blues Brothers performing Rawhide
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

Really surprised to see a couple of mentions of "These boots are made for walkin'" without anyone bringing up the version by The Fixx, which is actually quite good.

I echo the Richard Cheese comments. Tough to name a favorite, but "Me So Horny" has to be up there.

Others: Don Ho's cover of "Shock the Monkey" is legendary, and I'm partial to "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" by Lesley Gore.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

rchschem wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:Also, I want to bring up Alien Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal"
Amen. Add to that The Ataris' "Boys of Summer" and Disturbed's "Land of Confusion". What the hell is it with the '80s and punk covers?
I guess you haven't seen "Punk" Goes '80s (notice the elitist quotation marks) or pretty much the entire Me First and the Gimme Gimmes Catalogue.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

rchschem wrote:Amen. Add to that The Ataris' "Boys of Summer" and Disturbed's "Land of Confusion". What the hell is it with the '80s and punk covers?
If you're going to include Disturbed, you should include "Shout 2000", their cover of a Tears for Fears song that frankly isn't good.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Steroid McBlooddoper wrote: I guess you haven't seen "Punk" Goes '80s (notice the elitist quotation marks) or pretty much the entire Me First and the Gimme Gimmes Catalogue.
My cave is too deep for such to penetrate.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Bill Buckner wrote:Rocket Man? Can I get a William Shatner anyone?
That's Mr. Tambourine Man.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Nickel Creek does a great live cover of Britney's "Toxic."
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

E.T. Chuck wrote:
Bill Buckner wrote:Rocket Man? Can I get a William Shatner anyone?
That's Mr. Tambourine Man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbv6r_tKnE
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Coelacanth wrote: I echo the Richard Cheese comments. Tough to name a favorite, but "Me So Horny" has to be up there.
Ah, but his Baby-Got-Back-as-a-mambo is so good. I also recommend that classic easy swing chart, "She F***ing Hates Me."

Also, My Chemical Romance doing "Under Pressure" and (this is actually quite good) Miles Davis's cover of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time."
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Speaking of "Time After Time," I quite enjoy the Quietdrive version that was recently released.

I don't think the Cake version of "I Will Survive" is *that* funny, but clearly the thread is now encompassing all covers instead of just funny ones. Really, the song is more weird than funny.

Also, I've only heard the Oasis version of Champagne Supernova. I'm sort of lukewarm on Oasis, I think.

Speaking of Oasis, though, has anyone ever heard what their lead singer said about Nirvana? I practically fell out of my chair laughing after I saw it on the Wikipedia article on Grunge.
Tidus

One more: I don't know if it exists in mp3 form, but I heard this awesome rendition of Freebird by Blues Traveler awhile ago - that is one bitchin' harmonic solo.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

William Shatner is good music. Alanis' cover of My Humps is akin to Tori Amos' cover of Nirvana's Teen Spirit.
Bigfoot isn't the pr
Wakka

Post by Bigfoot isn't the pr »

StPickrell wrote:William Shatner is good music. Alanis' cover of My Humps is akin to Tori Amos' cover of Nirvana's Teen Spirit.
I prefer the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain's rendition (of Smells Like Teen Spirit)
Rob Poirier
CSW 07'
President of University of Delaware Academic Competition Club
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

This is slightly tangential, but there are some funny covers/funny ideas for covers in this video.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I did some research and found this. I think it's assessments are off in several cases, but You Shook Me All Night Long by Celine Dion deserves mention--I don't laugh at the actual performance, just the whole idea of it.

American Pie by Madonna deserves mention because it made me cry.

I think Shatner's greatest effort was Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

DeisEvan wrote:
DeisEvan last night wrote:anything by Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine
leftsaidfred this morning wrote:Richard Cheese & Lounge Against the Machine
Pffffft, like I have to read threads. I actually just run 100 parachute accounts.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

So, was Celine Dion listening to AC/DC one day when she was like "this song needs some cowbell?" The guitar player does nail the tone pretty well though.
Canadajin
Lulu

Post by Canadajin »

I think that Justin Timberlake's cover of "Rehab" by Amy Winehouse was pretty sub-par (and hilarious at that).
ktour84
Lulu

Post by ktour84 »

Do any of the American Idol performances count? That's a goldmine for funny (and awful) covers.
The Best:
William Hung "She Bangs"
Guy from S3/S4 auditions "Like a Virgin" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0mSmAnSLvU

Legit covers
Fountains of Wayne "Baby One More Time"
Celine Dion "I Drove All Night"
Panic at the Disco "Karma Police"
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

If anyone can find the faked Louis Armstrong cover of "Oops I did it again" that would be cool, as that was a great cover.
Tidus

Most of Bob Ricci's music falls into Weird Al / parody territory, but he does one amusing cover - he takes the instrumentation and melody from Bowling for Soup's 1985 and uses the lyrics from the Beach Boys' Kokomo. It's amusing.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

ReinsteinD wrote: I think Shatner's greatest effort was Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.
At the Oscars, you get Celine Dion. At the Saturn Awards, you get this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN3MGN899yE

This practically is a cry for help or intervention. I think James Doohan slapped him a few times after this. He deserved it.
StPickrell wrote:William Shatner is good music.
Speaking of a cry for intervention .......

The answer to the original question is anything by William Shatner.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

A "rare bootleg" one of my friends gave me is an 8-minute long cover of "Like A Virgin" by Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson. I think that qualifies as funny. In the 2nd half, it even manages to throw in a Reservoir Dogs quote.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

Canadajin wrote:I think that Justin Timberlake's cover of "Rehab" by Amy Winehouse was pretty sub-par (and hilarious at that).
Personally, I would like to see Britney Spears cover that song, considering how it's quite appropriate.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
RSido
Lulu

Post by RSido »

I don't think it's ever been tried, but Sean Connery singing "Oops I did it again" would be somewhat hilarious.
Robert Sido
New Trier '08, Delaware '12