Alabama '07-'08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matthew D
Yuna

Alabama '07-'08

Post by Matthew D »

With last season coming to a close, I have started to think about next year and which teams will do well next year.
As the usual case for the last 3 years, I see Brindlee Mountain doing will with both the A and B teams, I am not totally sure about the JV team as of yet.
Russellville will do well, with the twins and Joe.
Hoover seems like they made a splash with their JV team but I have not seen the play as of yet.
Vestavia might come back to playing better this year, I know that they have some new freshmen that would make great additions to the team
The status of Indian Springs is going to be in question till someone sees them out playing, I really hope that we do see them play.
While CCA played well the times I saw them last year, they didn't seem to make as big of an impact as they have in years past. This might change
As for my team, I will know in the next coming weeks. We added 9 new freshmen to my returning group of 6 that are now sophomores. I know I have some talented folks but this first year as a high school team didn't go as well as we wanted to go. I do think that we will regroup and with a bit of luck have a very good season this coming year.

What teams are in the "mix" for you this year
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Brindlee Mountain shouldn't lose a single match to any team in Alabama this coming year. That's not to say that they won't, but they shouldn't.

I think ISS is out of the game. From what I understood, after Bob Cooper retired, no one was willing to take over.

Scottsboro will be much tougher this year, especially in JV tournaments.

Hoover is pretty good. I expect them to be in the top 4 again.

If Grissom ever took the game seriously, they would be a beast. However, it seems that their players always have too many irons in the fire to really dedicate themselves to quiz bowl.

Who else????

ASFA will be pretty good as usual. LAMP will be competitive... Buckhorn will be good.

But, as biased as I am, if I had to predict a team to dominate Alabama, I would have to pick Brindlee Mountain. If here in their senior year this group can finally overcome the mental blocks that have always plagued them, then I think they will be the favorites for both NAQT and ASCA titles.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Lee, is Don coming back to ASFA next year? I had heard rumors that he was retiring from coaching... and I did forget LAMP and how I did that is beyond me..
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

Russellville should be good, but how good, I don't know...I'm thinking they need to be in the top 6 or in contention for the top 6 next year

Brindlee Mountain is loaded, if they put it together next year, it's over.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Matthew D wrote:Lee, is Don coming back to ASFA next year? I had heard rumors that he was retiring from coaching... and I did forget LAMP and how I did that is beyond me..
The only person from whom I heard any rumors about Don retiring was you... So, you probably know more about that situation than I do. The Birmingham area losing both ISS and ASFA (or at least their coaches) would be have an enormous impact. But, like I said, I don't know anything about Don retiring. If he does, hopefully ASFA will be able to find a new coach. However, Don Chatman is one of those coaches who can never be replaced. There are few coaches that I personally admire more than Don.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

I think everyone in Alabama should mark Lee's remarks about his team "should not lose to a team from Alabama" this coming year. Great locker room motivating words! :-)

Hey, Lee et al, I am hoping to bring my team to tuscaloser on August 25 so we can lose to Brindlee Mountain also! :-)
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

jrbarry wrote:I think everyone in Alabama should mark Lee's remarks about his team "should not lose to a team from Alabama" this coming year. Great locker room motivating words! :-)
Somehow I don't think there are enough teams in Alabama who read this board to make it really come back and bite him. Maybe you should print flyers and pass them out at tournaments, so they get the exposure they deserve. ;)
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Good Lord! I just said that they shouldn't lose to an Alabama team. I didn't say that it was impossible. I didn't even say it was unlikely. I'm just saying that when you consider that this same team has been playing together for 7 years, that we have graduated a total of 1 starter in the past three years (Myles Teston in 2005), that this is their senior year, and that most of the teams that have historically been competitive in Alabama either graduated their best players or have ceased to exist, then it's only fair to say that Brindlee Mountain shouldn't lose to a team from Alabama this year.

That certainly doesn't mean that I am guaranteeing that we will beat Brookwood in Tuscalossa, etc. I hope we do... but I'm not bold enough to say that we will.

As for making fliers or whatever to motivate other teams, I seriously don't think that there are too many teams in Alabama that give enough of a crap about this game to get fired up no matter what I say.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

LOL.. well Tuscaloosa should be an interesting day to say the least...
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

quizbowllee wrote:As for making fliers or whatever to motivate other teams, I seriously don't think that there are too many teams in Alabama that give enough of a crap about this game to get fired up no matter what I say.
Wow, the bulletin board material just keeps coming!

Or are you trying indirectly to improve the level of QB play in Alabama? ;-)
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

I was just pickin' at Lee. He is a good guy and his team(s) are very formidable.
Ditzy Blonde
Lulu

Post by Ditzy Blonde »

I sure do wish you people could spell...TUSCALOOSA should be a great tournament...Actually, it's THE UNIVERSITY of ALABAMA...Anyway, Lee, I do expect Brindlee Mountain to do well this year, but you must admit that your comment, even to those of us whom are up and comers, to be ready to take you out...You know how much we love you guys at Brindlee Mountain and only want the best for you, but, we want to win and are continuing to get better...also, watch out for your Junior High....I think we might take them out, again!!!!
Mrs. D!!!

P.S. I hope you have a great 1st "Daddy's" day!!!!!
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Believe me, it is tuscaLOSER!
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Nice Attitude you have there Rick...
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

Hey Coach Henry, ive heard that from time to time brindlee mountain scrimages agianst snead states quiz bowl team and i was just wondering about it sense ill be on there team this coming semester?
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Hey Coop.. hit me up with an email, I have a question to ask you
[email protected]
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Cooper98 wrote:Hey Coach Henry, ive heard that from time to time brindlee mountain scrimages agianst snead states quiz bowl team and i was just wondering about it sense ill be on there team this coming semester?
Yeah, we try and get together with Snead a couple of times a year for practice. Snead is where I played, so I also try to help them out as much as I can. This year I actually have a huge number of seniors, so I will also be looking at these opportunities for Vann to do some scouting. Some of the kids on my team really need scholarships.
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

So what is everyone's opinions on how the William R. King will go down? It seems we've managed to attract a good amount of out of state teams, though some are very highly successful. What is the prediction? An Alabama for the win?
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

geekjohnson wrote:So what is everyone's opinions on how the William R. King will go down? It seems we've managed to attract a good amount of out of state teams, though some are very highly successful. What is the prediction? An Alabama for the win?
I think that we at Brindlee Mountain lost a lot of respect after our very disappointing showing at Nationals this past year... I feel bad because a lot of that is my fault. I made some risky choices in splitting my teams that contributed to their less-than-expected showing.

That being said, I'm hoping that we'll be able to show up in Tuscaloosa and take down Dorman. Dorman seems to be most people's favorite to win at least one National title this year. My teams are pretty fired up, especially my seniors. They made a lot of noise as freshmen and sophomores but sorta fizzled in their junior year. They're ready, though, to kick it back into high gear and prove themselves.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not bold enough to guarantee a 1st-place showing at William R. King; but, we're gonna do our best to derail the Dorman train.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Well I am going to take my group of Freshman and Sophmores in with the hope that we will do well. My bunch is pretty much untemptered when it comes to playing against high powered competation above JV level, so all I can say is we will see...
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

quizbowllee wrote:
geekjohnson wrote:So what is everyone's opinions on how the William R. King will go down? It seems we've managed to attract a good amount of out of state teams, though some are very highly successful. What is the prediction? An Alabama for the win?
I think that we at Brindlee Mountain lost a lot of respect after our very disappointing showing at Nationals this past year... I feel bad because a lot of that is my fault. I made some risky choices in splitting my teams that contributed to their less-than-expected showing.

That being said, I'm hoping that we'll be able to show up in Tuscaloosa and take down Dorman. Dorman seems to be most people's favorite to win at least one National title this year. My teams are pretty fired up, especially my seniors. They made a lot of noise as freshmen and sophomores but sorta fizzled in their junior year. They're ready, though, to kick it back into high gear and prove themselves.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not bold enough to guarantee a 1st-place showing at William R. King; but, we're gonna do our best to derail the Dorman train.
Nice to see Lee Henry back in full bravado.

But, to paraphrase Guy Tabachnick, I'll eat my hat if brindlee Mountain beats Dorman.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:
quizbowllee wrote:

Nice to see Lee Henry back in full bravado.

But, to paraphrase Guy Tabachnick, I'll eat my hat if brindlee Mountain beats Dorman.
What kind of sauce would you like with your hat?
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

This is an NAQT A event, right? I don't imagine it has all that much to do with how teams compete on nationals questions. Still, I'll be interested to see the results. If Lee's right and BM is ready to realize its potential, they'll be a very serious team.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

DumbJaques wrote:This is an NAQT A event, right? I don't imagine it has all that much to do with how teams compete on nationals questions. Still, I'll be interested to see the results. If Lee's right and BM is ready to realize its potential, they'll be a very serious team.
Yeah... This "A" set will be interesting. I'm fairly certain that with many of the top teams at this tournament luck will play a big part. I'd be willing to bet that the answers are going to be known by pretty much every team, so buzzer speed, confidence, and luck will be huge factors. This might be for the best for us. Confidence and aggression were the two things that really held us back at Nationals. I'm hoping that they have grown up some and will play tough on these easy questions.

Other than that, though, you are likely correct: performance on "A" packets will not be a very accurate indication on how these teams would perform against one another on tougher questions. It might even allow for some pretty huge upsets. Even the mid-level teams in the field will likely know all of the material.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

I really rather NOT play an A set. And alabama was not lkisted as using an A set originally. I was going to change and come to Scottsboro instead, but that set will be used in my County Championship on September 29.

In all my years of doing this activity, I have never had a team compete in August. This Saturday should be interesting.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

jrbarry wrote:I really rather NOT play an A set. And alabama was not lkisted as using an A set originally. I was going to change and come to Scottsboro instead, but that set will be used in my County Championship on September 29.

In all my years of doing this activity, I have never had a team compete in August. This Saturday should be interesting.
Yeah, I was a little bummed about it being an "A" set also... I think this is going to be more "buzzer race" than anything. But, hey, it's a tournament and some great teams are going to be there. It should be fun regardless.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

Since this thread has been for over two weeks, I figured I'd try and resurrect it a little.

Any predictions for Scottsboro this weekend? I'm not sure about the playoff format (or the prelims for that matter), but here are the teams that will be in attendance:

Scottsboro (2)
BMHS (4)
Russellville (2)
Covenant Christian (1)
Buckhorn (2)
MLK (1)
Ezell-Harding (2)
Lincoln County (2)
Walton (2)
Hoover (2)
Randolph (1)
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

MLK will win.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

format is going to be two pools for the varsity and one for the jv
Followed by single elimination playoff from the top 2 from each pool counting the JV pool and then two wildcard teams based off ppg...

I think it will be a good day and honestly, there are at least 4 teams that could do very very well at the tournament...
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:MLK will win.
This bold prediction has turned out to be true. What a shock.

Seriously though, I was genuinely surprised that MLK lost to, not Brindlee Mountain A, but Walton A (and from looking at the stats, it doesn't appear that Walton played particularly brilliantly in that game, either). Granted, MLK did neg five times, and these were A-levels, so I guess that goes a fair way toward explaining the loss.

Brindlee Mountain A actually posted a higher PPG than MLK in prelims, which has to bode well, but neither team put up stats that screamed "amazing" IMHO. I can definitely understand not seeing incredibly dominant wins, because A-level questions certainly increase the frequency of buzzer races (by a great deal, it seems to me), etc. etc, but the bonus conversion definitely seemed lackluster. But that's merely from a quick perusal of the stats - perhaps someone who saw the "big games" could offer more penetrating analysis.
Doug
Brandeis '17
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

From what I understand MLK posted much more impressive statistics in the playoffs. . . it certainly seemed like the three new starters were working some kinks out in the first few games, but all posted non-negligible stats, which I think bodes very well for the team.

Also, this tournament didn't us A questions, it was normal NAQT, so perhaps slightly lower bonus conversion isn't that unusual. It also appears that MLK faced a significantly stronger prelim schedule than BM did. I wish stats had been kept from the playoff games, but there you are.

I'm more inclined to chalk that random walton loss up to inexperience, a bad packet, etc (and people on MLK not named Dalllas going 0/3). If the other 3 can continue to improve, MLK will be a different team by nationals than most people had predicted.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I talked to Dallas right after the loss to Walton, and not taking anything away from Walton, Dallas said, "I just had a bad game.", which I totally believe. The 1st round he posted 155 points which was pretty impressive.
Brindlee Mt did a very good job. It was kinda of interesting to see on the match with Hoover in the semifinals, Mark Morris stepped up and contributed the most points for the team.
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

DumbJaques wrote:Also, this tournament didn't us A questions, it was normal NAQT, so perhaps slightly lower bonus conversion isn't that unusual.
In that case my point is moot, because 22+ PPB on a normal IS set isn't too shabby.
Doug
Brandeis '17
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Methinks some of y'all are too quick to think MLK's loss to Walton was flukish. Perhaps Walton is a good team. Walton usually is a good team, in my experience.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I have to say that Walton is a good team but Dallas was a one person wrecking crew yesterday. To give Walton their due, they did win the match with them but I think it was a combination of a bad game by Dallas and really good play by Walton, which they did the entire day.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Matthew D wrote:I have to say that Walton is a good team but Dallas was a one person wrecking crew yesterday. To give Walton their due, they did win the match with them but I think it was a combination of a bad game by Dallas and really good play by Walton, which they did the entire day.
At the end of the day, a win's still a win.

Great tournament, lasted too long, but there's not alot you can do about that. It seems to me that the questions have gone down a little bit in difficulty. I don't know if that was just me or what, just felt like it wasn't as hard. Congratulations to MLK, we'll see you at UTC.

Speaking of which, who all from the Land of Dixie is going to attend UTC on the 29th? I know BMHS is bringing somewhere between 2-4 teams and Scottsboro will probably bring two teams, but is anyone else planning on going?
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Geez,
Andy I had you out of there by 4:30 or there abouts because I was all packed up and back at the house by 5:15... but the 30 minute delay on starting did cause a little bit of a set back time wise...
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Geez,
Andy I had you out of there by 4:30 or there abouts because I was all packed up and back at the house by 5:15... but the 30 minute delay on starting did cause a little bit of a set back time wise...

I hope people don't really consider ending at 5:00 pm to be lasting too long. . . at least, not anyone planning to attend the Weekend of Quizbowl.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

AndyBrindlee Mountain wrote:It seems to me that the questions have gone down a little bit in difficulty. I don't know if that was just me or what, just felt like it wasn't as hard. Congratulations to MLK, we'll see you at UTC.
They seem easier because you don't suck as much as you used to, dufus.
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

I think it bodes well for MLK that they only lose when Dallas negs 5 times. Funny thing is he only negged 8 times total in the prelims.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Here's all I know about the playoffs:

Round One:

MLK vs. Ezell-Harding JV: MLK wins 495-110
Brindlee Mtn. A vs. Brindlee Mountain C: Brindlee Mountain A won by a lot.

Round Two:

MLK vs. Walton A: MLK wins 295-205
Brindlee Mountain A vs. Hoover A: Brindlee Mountain wins 325-235

Consolation:

Hoover A vs. Walton A: Walton wins

Championship:

MLK vs. Brindlee Mountain A: MLK wins 410-260
dsimons
Lulu

Post by dsimons »

Just want to say thanks to Scottsboro for a great tournament on behalf of MLK. We had a lot of fun and there was good competition.

I think that parts many statements regarding the Walton game hold true. Yes, we did play very poorly, but they definately took advantage of that and capitalized on their chances.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

dsimons wrote:Just want to say thanks to Scottsboro for a great tournament on behalf of MLK. We had a lot of fun and there was good competition.

I think that parts many statements regarding the Walton game hold true. Yes, we did play very poorly, but they definately took advantage of that and capitalized on their chances.
Dallas is a man of few words. But - like Silent Bob - when he speaks, he speaks true.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

To make a quick observation about Alabama teams:

Hoover is better than I expected them to be. They gave us a hell of a time in the semi-finals, jumping to a 100+ point lead immediately. Andy was having a bad round, but thankfully Mark came alive and helped us battle back to victory.

Covenant Christian was also pretty good.

From what I've seen, Hoover is going to be our biggest challenger this year.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

quizbowllee wrote:Covenant Christian was also pretty good.
They are a good team. They played us close and gave us our lowest score in the prelims. What surprised me, however, was who they lost to. While they beat Ezell Harding, whose 2 losses went to BMHS and CCA, they dropped one to BMHS and one to Walton B. While I really have no room to talk, being from a school who probably has lost the most ridiculous games ever, it still amazed me how they did it. Despite this, I can see them placing top 6 in ASCA and possibly top 4 in NAQT.

Hoover's the best I've seen them. They'll probably make top 4 in NAQT and definitely top 6 in ASCA.

Those are the only teams I've seen so far that have impressed me. Although, we've yet to attend an ASCA tournament, so I don't know what quite to expect from Grissom, Cullman, Vestavia, ASFA, or Bob Jones.
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

I have a question for all yall coaches and players alike do you happen to know anyone who has done quiz bowl or shown interest in it that currently goes to snead state because we are really hurting at the moment for people to play for some reason i dunno what it is laziness perhaps but if you can think of anyone please let me know so i can hunt them down and implore upon them the need to play on our team
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Cooper98 wrote:I have a question for all yall coaches and players alike do you happen to know anyone who has done quiz bowl or shown interest in it that currently goes to snead state because we are really hurting at the moment for people to play for some reason i dunno what it is laziness perhaps but if you can think of anyone please let me know so i can hunt them down and implore upon them the need to play on our team
I can't help you out this year, but I know that a lot of my seniors are planning to play at Snead next year. So, Snead should be stacked after this year. My suggestion is to hold out for a year and do the best that you can. My second year at Snead, we only had three regular players and one who just went to tournaments when he could. We did well, though.
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

quizbowllee wrote:I can't help you out this year, but I know that a lot of my seniors are planning to play at Snead next year. So, Snead should be stacked after this year. My suggestion is to hold out for a year and do the best that you can. My second year at Snead, we only had three regular players and one who just went to tournaments when he could. We did well, though.
Guys! Think 4-year college! You can do it!
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

QuizBowlRonin wrote:Guys! Think 4-year college! You can do it!
As off-subject as this is, I'd like to say that I have NEVER for one second regretted my decision to go to Snead over a 4-year school. I had full rides to pretty much any school considering my GPA and ACT scores.

I had more fun at Snead than any other time in my life. I also learned more. Snead has an awesome faculty and staff and is a caring environment. I would've stayed there if they had upper-level courses.

Also, Snead - unlike most colleges - offers full scholarships for Quiz Bowl and the administration is actively involved in Quiz Bowl and publicizes the team's accomplishments as well as paying for all expenses - including food - at tournaments.

I'm sorry I'm not as much of an elitist as others, but I'd rather my students go where they feel comfortable and where their contributions to academic competition will be appreciated and recognized. When was the last time that happened at UAB?
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

I also have never regretted going to Faulkner for two years. As with Snead, Faulkner had a faculty and administration that supported our team immensely, with a budget that we will NEVER see at UA, or anywhere else, save Chicago. I like quizbowl at the 4 year, but the experience of traveling with a team, plus coach, with everything payed for, plus money on per-diem, made me love quizbowl at the two year level. It is something I would recommend to anyone.