Alabama '07-'08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

well i mean funding we arent hurting for but people wise we are but i agree with you lee your loaded team will greatly benefit the team next year : :grin:
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

Not to discount your experiences at the 2-year schools and receiving quiz bowl scholarships, but let me provide some unsolicited advice:

1) You guys are smart enough and well educated to succeed not only at a two-year college, but also at any 4-year public school in Alabama, and also any major university or college in the country. I've seen it - I'd put up the breadth of knowledge you guys have against almost any high school graduate in the country (and yes this includes those elite privates and public magnets).

2) Quiz bowl is fun, but frankly folks, you should not choose a school based on quiz bowl prowess, unless you intend on choosing quiz bowl as a career. It is an extracurricular activity, no more, no less. It will not score you points with your employer. It will not help you get into graduate schools of any kind. Go to the place that will best support your future career and academic interests, not to the place that will best support your quiz bowl interests.

3) If money is an issue, apply to these schools and find out what kind of financial package they're offering. I know of a kid who grew up in a broken home with no telephone, yet was able to go to Harvard and not pay a cent, and now is at a top law school - it was a complete surprise to her, but not her advisors and our teachers, who told her to aim high. Granted this is not your situation, but more and more top "expensive" schools are making it their mission to equalize the costs of education so that people don't have to make the choice between publics and privates.
(Hell, if any of your students get accepted to Harvard, but can't pay, I'll donate!)

Anyways, this is all unsolicited, so feel free to ignore these ramblings (of an elitist), but there's something to be said about not selling yourself short, or at least investigating other opportunities that might better serve your interests.
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

QuizBowlRonin wrote:Quiz bowl is fun, but frankly folks, you should not choose a school based on quiz bowl prowess, unless you intend on choosing quiz bowl as a career. It is an extracurricular activity, no more, no less. It will not score you points with your employer. It will not help you get into graduate schools of any kind. Go to the place that will best support your future career and academic interests, not to the place that will best support your quiz bowl interests.
LIES!
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:
QuizBowlRonin wrote:Quiz bowl is fun, but frankly folks, you should not choose a school based on quiz bowl prowess, unless you intend on choosing quiz bowl as a career. It is an extracurricular activity, no more, no less. It will not score you points with your employer. It will not help you get into graduate schools of any kind. Go to the place that will best support your future career and academic interests, not to the place that will best support your quiz bowl interests.
LIES!
:w-hat:
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Sorry, Jason, but you sort of hit a nerve with me and I might have over-reacted a bit. But, I stand by my original statement that I have no regrets at all. I didn't go to Snead for quiz bowl, that was something I just happened into while there. I had full scholarships to Alabama, UAH, UAB, Auburn, and A&M. I chose Snead because it made the most sense to me at the time. It might not look as impressive on a resume, but I know that I learned a lot there and always felt like the faculty cared about me. I'd put their English and Social Studies departments against any four-year school's in Alabama and I guarantee they'd stack up. At any rate, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I guess. I just don't feel like my education suffered at all because I attended a 2-year community college, and I don't think that my students' will either.

That being said, I am in no way pressuring my students to go there - that is a decision that they have made on their own. I will support all of them regardless of where they choose to attend and will personally do everything in my power to assure that they get the best financial incentives wherever they go.

Sorry I called you an elitist...
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

quizbowllee wrote:Sorry, Jason, but you sort of hit a nerve with me and I might have over-reacted a bit. But, I stand by my original statement that I have no regrets at all. I didn't go to Snead for quiz bowl, that was something I just happened into while there. I had full scholarships to Alabama, UAH, UAB, Auburn, and A&M. I chose Snead because it made the most sense to me at the time. It might not look as impressive on a resume, but I know that I learned a lot there and always felt like the faculty cared about me. I'd put their English and Social Studies departments against any four-year school's in Alabama and I guarantee they'd stack up. At any rate, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I guess. I just don't feel like my education suffered at all because I attended a 2-year community college, and I don't think that my students' will either.
Lee, while I accept and am trying to understand your personal reasons for attending one school over another, I frankly cannot agree a priori that your degrees from Snead and Athens State, regardless of the "true quality" of the teaching, are going to get you as far as a degree from a four-year institution - forget comparisons to major research universities. You may be gainfully employed within the state of Alabama or in your hometown. You may not, however, receive the attention your job application elsewhere or your graduate school application deserves when compared to a graduate from a flagship state or private research university. I simply cannot encourage students to close off their options (or at least make extremely difficult the achievement of those options) by aiming low.

For example, the vast majority of students at UAB's medical school in my entering class are straight graduates from 4-year schools from the UA system, Auburn, Samford, BSC, and out of state privates. I could think of only a few from other 4-year publics, and maybe a couple (out of ~160) that received their Associates Degree. Bias against good applicants with associates degrees? Maybe. But perhaps the quality of the education one received isn't as good as one suspects when if comes to standardized entrance exams? (Bobo may have better perspective on this as a professor of science at Bevill State). I have no statistics and data to back up this claim, but I do rely on my own observations of my fellow students. There are also plenty of confounding factors that I'm not going to get into.

I think your students are obviously talented and have the capability to become excellent physicians, lawyers, professors, or whatever they desire to be. They've competed against the best in the country and have nothing to be ashamed of when compared to elite publics and privates. If there is a difference, it is the perception of others (including those in this state) that students educated in "backwater" Alabama are ill prepared for college and those who received a college education there are ill prepared for competitive graduate schools or for jobs outside the state. Unfair as it may seem, few solutions exist other than to go elsewhere.
That being said, I am in no way pressuring my students to go there - that is a decision that they have made on their own. I will support all of them regardless of where they choose to attend and will personally do everything in my power to assure that they get the best financial incentives wherever they go.

Sorry I called you an elitist...
It's possible that I am an elitist from your perspective, but if so, I have nothing to be ashamed of, if the goal is to encourage your students to apply widely and consider each offer carefully.
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

i didnt mean to start a huge debate lol
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

Cooper98 wrote:i didnt mean to start a huge debate lol
This is as much your fault as it was Helen of Troy's.

Quiz bowl has been one of the greatest things in my life. It's given somewhere to shine in school. I'm no football, basketball, baseball, soccer, or lacrosse (God how I want to be a lacross player, though) player, and being part of a competitive force in quiz bowl has given me a sense of belonging. I guess I am trying to hang on too much to my high school life and friends, but I've been playing with my teammates for 7 years now. I'm going to stay with them as long as I possibly can. While I know that I don't want to make a career out of quiz bowl, I also don't want to just give it up after high school. I know for a fact Snead has a team. I don't want to go to another school who "has a program," only to find out that said "program" is nothing more than an apathetic professor and one other player. Mr. Scott has been very enthusiastic about quiz bowl and that's why I love this game so much. If I didn't have a coach that cared as much as Lee does, I wouldn't be anywhere close to as good as I am at this game, nor would I be anywhere near as competitive as I am.

I thank you for the encouragement Jason, but I've made my choice. Even though quiz bowl doesn't have alot to do with psychology/psychiatry, I will continue to compete as long as my career will let me.
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

AndyBrindlee Mountain wrote:
Cooper98 wrote:i didnt mean to start a huge debate lol
This is as much your fault as it was Helen of Troy's.

Quiz bowl has been one of the greatest things in my life. It's given somewhere to shine in school. I'm no football, basketball, baseball, soccer, or lacrosse (God how I want to be a lacross player, though) player, and being part of a competitive force in quiz bowl has given me a sense of belonging. I guess I am trying to hang on too much to my high school life and friends, but I've been playing with my teammates for 7 years now. I'm going to stay with them as long as I possibly can. While I know that I don't want to make a career out of quiz bowl, I also don't want to just give it up after high school. I know for a fact Snead has a team. I don't want to go to another school who "has a program," only to find out that said "program" is nothing more than an apathetic professor and one other player. Mr. Scott has been very enthusiastic about quiz bowl and that's why I love this game so much. If I didn't have a coach that cared as much as Lee does, I wouldn't be anywhere close to as good as I am at this game, nor would I be anywhere near as competitive as I am.

I thank you for the encouragement Jason, but I've made my choice. Even though quiz bowl doesn't have alot to do with psychology/psychiatry, I will continue to compete as long as my career will let me.
Fair enough. Remember though that the purpose of college is not to play quizbowl.
Last edited by QuizBowlRonin on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

QuizBowlRonin wrote: Lee, while I accept and am trying to understand your personal reasons for attending one school over another, I frankly cannot agree a priori that your degrees from Snead and Athens State, regardless of the "true quality" of the teaching, are going to get you as far as a degree from a four-year institution - forget comparisons to major research universities. You may be gainfully employed within the state of Alabama or in your hometown. You may not, however, receive the attention your job application elsewhere or your graduate school application deserves when compared to a graduate from a flagship state or private research university. I simply cannot encourage students to close off their options (or at least make extremely difficult the achievement of those options) by aiming low.
Jason, damn... You know I consider you a friend and always look forward to conversing with you on the rare occasions that I see you, but I've got to say that this is pretty insulting. Telling me that I "aimed low" is - ironically - a pretty low blow.

First, I knew that I wanted to be a teacher. Athens State has the best Teacher Education Program in the state. I know this for a fact. I have a lot of teachers in my family and personally know many, many administrators who tell me often that they would rather have a graduate from Athens State than from any other school - including Alabama and Auburn. So, in that regard, I don't think I aimed low at all.

I have one student on my team who plans to be a teacher, and I have advised him to follow in my footsteps, knowing that he will become gainfully employed thereafter.

Also, most of the kids on my team plan to move on to 4 year colleges. Right now I know of one planning to attend Georgia Tech and another plans to attend Florida. I'm sure others will go to UAH, Alabama, etc. I seriously hope that the fact that they chose to attend a 2-year school prior to transferring to one of these universities isn't going to taint their resumes too much.

Finally, I realize that you don't know my students personally - and I don't want to air too much of their personal situations in a public forum. However, suffice it to say that they are truly remarkable in the hardships many of them have overcome. They tell me things that they don't even tell each other. But, many of these kids will be the first in their families to EVER attend any college at all. Furthermore, some of them are in situations that require that they stay close to home in order to help support their loved ones. So, while I have no doubt that any one of them could excel at absolutely any college that they choose to attend, I don't think that telling them that they are "aiming low" is productive at all. All that does is tarnish what, for many of them, is a dream-come-true of going to college at all.

SIGH... I don't want this to turn into a flame war or anything and I certainly don't want it to affect our friendship, but I get very defensive about these kids. I've coached many of them since they were in 5th grade, and they have confided in me and looked up to me for all of these years. So, I tend to have a "Papa Bear" mentality. I just want you to understand where I am coming from here.

-Lee
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

quizbowllee wrote:Jason, damn... You know I consider you a friend and always look forward to conversing with you on the rare occasions that I see you, but I've got to say that this is pretty insulting. Telling me that I "aimed low" is - ironically - a pretty low blow.

First, I knew that I wanted to be a teacher. Athens State has the best Teacher Education Program in the state. I know this for a fact. I have a lot of teachers in my family and personally know many, many administrators who tell me often that they would rather have a graduate from Athens State than from any other school - including Alabama and Auburn. So, in that regard, I don't think I aimed low at all.

I have one student on my team who plans to be a teacher, and I have advised him to follow in my footsteps, knowing that he will become gainfully employed thereafter.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear - my first paragraph of comments above is not meant to demean your particular accomplishments or criticize your choice of schools to attend - I'm only speaking in general terms of choice of school for any particular major. Athens State may as well have the best education program in the state, but might a particular student be more wise to choose a different institution for premed? engineering? prelaw? And not only that, the best institution that would help acheive that goal (as you have done with Athens State)? Also, what happens if said particular student would change his/her mind (as often occurs), and thus should choose an institution that is better at more things? For your student interested in teaching, who is to say, as well, that an application to a top education program elsewhere i.e. Peabody in Nashville or Teacher's College @ Columbia should at least be submitted, just to see what happens?

Again, my original point is not that I personally believe that your particular educational decisions, nor the decision of anyone who decides to attend a 2-year school will lead to one being unable to be employed. My point is that doing so you WILL limit your options, regardless of whether or not such limitations are fair or not, nor whether or not you're deserving of better. If one's goal is graduate from Harvard Law School or from UAB's School of Medicine, I would not recommend a 2-year school. If that's not your goal, then forget what I said. But again, there's nothing that tells me that your students are not capable of doing either.
Also, most of the kids on my team plan to move on to 4 year colleges. Right now I know of one planning to attend Georgia Tech and another plans to attend Florida. I'm sure others will go to UAH, Alabama, etc. I seriously hope that the fact that they chose to attend a 2-year school prior to transferring to one of these universities isn't going to taint their resumes too much.
I hope so too, but I guess my personal observations and experiences do not bear this out. Again, I point out that here in Alabama, you'll do fine, but go elsewhere they'll give you a quizical look. Hell, even UAB which receives so much in-state attention for its medical school, is a virtual unknown when I talked to several physicians on the west coast - these biases are not exclusive to 2-year schools in Alabama.

I'm probably also overestimating the bias against associates degrees just because so much of the evaluation in premed (only) relies on classes taken in the first two years of undergrad. In other fields the situation may be different.
Finally, I realize that you don't know my students personally - and I don't want to air too much of their personal situations in a public forum. However, suffice it to say that they are truly remarkable in the hardships many of them have overcome. They tell me things that they don't even tell each other. But, many of these kids will be the first in their families to EVER attend any college at all. Furthermore, some of them are in situations that require that they stay close to home in order to help support their loved ones. So, while I have no doubt that any one of them could excel at absolutely any college that they choose to attend, I don't think that telling them that they are "aiming low" is productive at all. All that does is tarnish what, for many of them, is a dream-come-true of going to college at all.
It's not for me to judge what personal hardships that your students have gone through, only that I (and I'm sure others) recognize their talent, and that even through those hardships, there are opportunities for them even at elite institutions. For example - a plethora of scholarships and loan forgiveness programs exist for talented first-generation college students. The need to stay close to home is something I can't address. But simply saying that attending any college when they might do even better and do greater things is, to put it bluntly, a waste of potential, especially when said opportunities may cost LESS than your best offer from any hypothetical state school. Not to mention that these schools may offer a strong quiz bowl program as well...

Bottom line is to at least apply widely and find out what options you might have.
SIGH... I don't want this to turn into a flame war or anything and I certainly don't want it to affect our friendship, but I get very defensive about these kids. I've coached many of them since they were in 5th grade, and they have confided in me and looked up to me for all of these years. So, I tend to have a "Papa Bear" mentality. I just want you to understand where I am coming from here.

-Lee
You're right, this is really none of my business, so this will be my last pontification on the subject.
Last edited by QuizBowlRonin on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Jason, if you are talking to individual that don't know about UAB's medical program could it be that they are misinformed on one of the top research medical schools in the US? I mean seriously, if you look at the different rankings for schools, U of A business school ranks extremely high every year, UAB's medical school does also.. so that seems to me that they share the same bias that comes out most people from the north and west, that people from the South are slow talking idiots and don't seem to know that is up or down.. now that has been some of my personal observations born out of my 42 years on this planet interacting with people from all over the United States and other countries..
As for the 2 year colleges in Alabama, yes there are some problems at them but there are also some damn fine teachers that are there to teach and make a difference in the lives of people that will go on to 4 year universities and do very well. I did that route due to money constraints and then went on to get my MA from Alabama...
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

(This message was deleted to prevent Google crawler recording. It was also way off-topic.)
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

So, who all is making the trip to Hoover next weekend to attend the first ASCA tournament of the year?
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Scottsboro will be there with our two teams..
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

If there's a JV division, which I think that there will be, it will probably be another showdown between BMHS and Scottsboro. If Matt could post a list of teams that will be there, if such a list exists, then maybe we could make some predictions.
Last edited by AndyShootsAndyScores on Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I got the list of the pools as of last week but I talked to Josh today and he told me that there have been at least 4 more teams. Personally from the list below, I see LAMP, BMHS, and IS in the finals in no particular order. Not going to comment on the JV division... for now

Varsity (14 teams)
LAMP
Brindlee Mtn. (2)
Hartselle
Altamont (2)
Russellville (2)
Ohatchee HS
ACA Tuscaloosa
Indian Springs
Northridge
Southside
Springville

JV (10 teams)
LAMP
Brindlee Mtn. (2)
Holy Spirit
Hartselle
Scottsboro (2)
Ohatchee
Northridge
Springville
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

I didn't see alot of talent other than David last year from LAMP, but they'll still be decent like they are every year. ISS beat our B team at UTC, who beat Chattahoochee (spelled wrong I'm sure) at the same tournament, so they're obviously still good. I don't know if Southside managed to find someone to replace Matt (?). If so, they could make a playoff run. Hopefully, both our teams will bring our A game and we could see a BM A v. BM B finals.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

AndyShootsAndyScores wrote:So, who all is making the trip to Hoover next weekend to attend the first ASCA tournament of the year?
Wait--you mean they got rid of the fun tournaments this season? How sad! :wink:
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Byko wrote:
AndyShootsAndyScores wrote:So, who all is making the trip to Hoover next weekend to attend the first ASCA tournament of the year?
Wait--you mean they got rid of the fun tournaments this season? How sad! :wink:
No. The fun tournament still exists. We just don't go and don't consider it a tournament.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

The sad part was there were about 32 teams at the fun tournaments..
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

I think we all know that the ASCA Fun Tournament is where all the fun is at.
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

they dont have anyone to replace matt i can assure you WE beat them at district last year unless matts brothers on the team then maybe but i doubt it

AndyShootsAndyScores wrote:ISS beat our B team at UTC, who beat Chattahoochee (spelled wrong I'm sure) at the same tournament, so they're obviously still good.
I believe that very similar logic was used to name Dunbar B the 2007 national champions.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Deesy Does It wrote:
AndyShootsAndyScores wrote:ISS beat our B team at UTC, who beat Chattahoochee (spelled wrong I'm sure) at the same tournament, so they're obviously still good.
I believe that very similar logic was used to name Dunbar B the 2007 national champions.
Valid point, but I still stand by what I said.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Deesy Does It wrote:
Also, didn't you jokingly use it to name Pensacola National Champion?
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Deesy Does It wrote:
There's a pretty big difference in using this logic to say that Indian Springs is a "good" team and saying that Dunbar B is the "best" team. For one thing, the ISS is "good" will hold up.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Nice to see comments from people that have not see the team in question play. Andy's logic is not flawed in this case, the seemed to done a fairly good job...
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Matthew D wrote:Nice to see comments from people that have not see the team in question play. Andy's logic is not flawed in this case, the seemed to done a fairly good job...
His conclusion may or may not be true. Regardless, the fact that a conclusion is true does not necessarily make the logic used to derive it a sound one.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

So moving back to the land of on topic discussions..
Have we had any more additions to the field at Hoover?
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

aestheteboy wrote:
Matthew D wrote:Nice to see comments from people that have not see the team in question play. Andy's logic is not flawed in this case, the seemed to done a fairly good job...
His conclusion may or may not be true. Regardless, the fact that a conclusion is true does not necessarily make the logic used to derive it a sound one.
Although my logic may be imperfect, it is still seemingly true. After all, a horse is a horse, of course...
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Fun...

Uh... Brindlee Mountain will do good at Hoover. ISS will be the toughest competition in varsity for us.

JV will be yet another tossup between one of the Brindlee Mountain teams and one of the Scottsboro teams.
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

HIT^3 Tournament Participants

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

A couple of notes about the HIT^3 tourney, just FYI:

1) The tourney is ASCA-style, as previously noted.
2) Questions have been provided by an outside source, not written in-house.
3) Pool sizes and setup have not been determined yet, but I'm leaning toward three pools. That would be 6 rounds of play guaranteed. Playoffs would then be three rounds, with the top 2 from each pool advancing plus two wild cards. 9 rounds starting at 9:00 AM, with an hour for lunch, should allow us to finish by 4:30 PM.

The JV will play two pools of five, then all teams will be seeded into a single-elimination bracket with 2 play-in games. This should ensure that JV finishes roughly at the same time as varsity.

We will be keeping individual scores as well in the varsity pools for an all-tourney team.

4) The following are the teams currently registered. We may have a last minute addition or two, but this looks pretty final.

Varsity (19 teams):

Hartselle
Brindlee Mtn. Varsity (2)
LAMP Varsity
Altamont (2)
Russellville (2)
Ohatchee HS
ACA Tuscaloosa
Indian Springs
Northridge
Southside
Springville
Mountain Brook
Briarwood
Greenville
St. Clair Co.
Cullman

JV

LAMP JV
Brindlee Mtn. JV (2)
Holy Spirit JV
Hartselle JV
Scottsboro JV (2)
Ohatchee JV
Northridge JV
Springville JV

I'm disappointed that some of the other AL schools couldn't come, but apparently 10/13 is a fall break weekend for some and a major band event for others.
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

On a different note we had our first tourney at snead we went 3 and 4 not bad considering 3 of the 4 players had only held a buzzer in there hands for 1 practice prior to that but i have high hopes, and also you really are right Lee college bowl is great i like it 10 times better than high school.
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

Hey, who ended up winning the tournament at Faulkner by the way?
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

Chipola Gold i beleive they beat faulkner in a close game
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Who is in charge of the Indian Springs Academic Team these days? I heard Dr Bob has retired from coaching.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Their assistant coach form last year took over. All I rememer is that he's French-ish.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

My thoughts on Alabama: LAMP will go through serious rebuilding (only two returning from last year) but still will be competitive, ISS and Hoover are championship contenders, and Brindlee Mountain is the team to beat.

As for the Hoover tournament: BMHS, Indian Springs, LAMP as top three in Varsity division. LAMP as champion in JV Division.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

DZ_LAMP wrote:As for the Hoover tournament: BMHS, Indian Springs, LAMP as top three in Varsity division. LAMP as champion in JV Division.
While this is just going to look like a "Our team is better" bias, I think BMHS's JV team will beat LAMP. I've played against LAMP's JV and I've obviously played against our's. The finals will probably be Scottsboro v. BMHS with LAMP in 3rd.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

AndyShootsAndyScores wrote: our's.
What exactly is this word?
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

GiveMeBrindleeOrDeath wrote:
Our's, the plural form of "our." It's obvious that to make anything plural, you add an " 's." I figured that an English mind of your status would know this rule of grammar.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

AndyShootsAndyScores wrote:
GiveMeBrindleeOrDeath wrote:
Our's, the plural form of "our." It's obvious that to make anything plural, you add an " 's." I figured that an English mind of your status would know this rule of grammar.
what . . . ?
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

It's possible he may be kidding?

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE

I hope it's possible.

AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

I feared that my sarcasm in that statement would not come across as strong as it should have.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Abridged results from the HIT:

Varsity

1st - BMHS A
2nd - Russelville A
3rd/4th - LAMP/Indian Springs (not sure on the placing)

JV

1st - Northridge
2nd - LAMP

I'm not sure if there were 3rd and 4th places in JV. Questions were quite off the wall on most occasions, but not hard. Tournament got started very late and ended late, but still a well-run tournament.

Our pool consisted of us, LAMP, ISS, Russelville B, and one other team I can't recall. LAMP beat ISS by 5, ISS beat us on a tie-breaker, and we beat LAMP by about 100, leaving all 3 of us with a 3-1 record. I have no idea how they divided the brackets, but they ended up even. I don't know how they do it, but Russelville has earned a reputation for knocking out the team we're most worried about in their semifinals match, and then playing us in the finals and coming up short. If they can fix their problems with choking in the finals, they can definitely be an awesome team.

And of course, now it's time for me to admit how wrong I was in predicting that LAMP JV wouldn't make it to the finals. Neither Scottsboro A nor BMHS, my two picks for the finals match, made it. My b.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

There was no playoffs for the JV
it was a 3 way circle of death for 2nd place between
Scottsboro, BMHS JV A, and LAMP JV and Lamp got it on PPG
Sara
Kimahri

Post by Sara »

jrbarry wrote:Who is in charge of the Indian Springs Academic Team these days? I heard Dr Bob has retired from coaching.
Dr. LaCasse
ISS '09
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Results from Buckhorn:

Varsity:

1st - Brindlee Mountain (8-0)
2nd - Randolph
Semi-Finalists: Grissom and Spain Park

Junior Varsity:

1st - Randolph