The judge

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
BGSO
Tidus

The judge

Post by BGSO »

Does anyone have pics of "the judge" buzzer system? I heard so much about it at ACE and wanted to know if its really warranted.
Bigfoot isn't the pr
Wakka

Post by Bigfoot isn't the pr »

The Judge seems to be the mainstay of a lot of college teams. Not so much high school. My team (Charter School) has two judge and trust me, they are pretty good. They have five buzzers which makes practice easier. But they are tough as nails. The company that makes them is really good on quality control too. My coach has sent them back multiple times when a piece became broken for a minimal (if any) fee.

I highly recommend them
Rob Poirier
CSW 07'
President of University of Delaware Academic Competition Club
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

I also like the Judge, as it seems to be the only buzzer system that we've used that I haven't accidentally broken over prolonged use.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I have two also and they survive my junior high who haven't quite figured out that you don't have to slap the buzzer to death to make it go off...
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

The Great Buzzer System Tradeoff:

1. All buzzer systems other than the Judge have components that will gradually fail.

2. All buzzer systems other than the Judge are superior to the Judge.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

BuzzerZen wrote:The Great Buzzer System Tradeoff:

1. All buzzer systems other than the Judge have components that will gradually fail.

2. All buzzer systems other than the Judge are superior to the Judge.
In regards to number one, the Knot that we have has been pretty reliable. I think the center console had to be fixed like three years ago, but we've had absolutely no problems since then. I might even be so bold to say that the system is as reliable as the Judge.

The SVBZ buzzers on the other hand kind of all broke after about two months of using them. Even the new reinforced onces aren't really holding up. At least they have a warranty.

By the way, please don't buy a judge. They suck to play on. I'd rather paly on broken SVBZ's than on a judge system.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

What the hell is wrong with you people? The judge is the best buzzer system on the planet.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

theMoMA wrote:What the hell is wrong with you people? The judge is the best buzzer system on the planet.
If you mean all planets other than Earth ... oui.

I played the Judge at UIUC ..... it was all I knew until I became involed in the high school level ..... I'm with Buzzer Zen on this one.
The Logic of Scientific Disco
Wakka

Post by The Logic of Scientific Disco »

We use The Judge, and I kind of like it, though it can get a little annoying--the pedals are really not bad for buzzing once you get used to them. We've got a new system on the way, though, so that, if nothing else, we can impress the freshmen with nice buzzers.

And anyway, there's nothing more fun than taking The Judge through security at an airport...
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I do believe that my bunch at Brindlee Mountain might be the only team ever to cause a Judge to break in less than one year simply by using it... They could destroy anything. Most new buzzer systems last less than a month before we have to repair...
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

I love the judge.

I once played it as a foot buzzer, in fact.
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Joe Wells likes the judge; hence, you can reasonably conclude it's in your best interest to stay the hell away from it.l

Seriously, don't buy the judge. I don't know what school you're at or whatever, but if you get the judge there's a tiny little chance I might have to play one more game on the judge if I ever attend a tournament it's used at. I'm just not willing to accept those kinds of odds.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

At the last Penn Bowl UNC brought two Judges they knew were broken, resulting in clap-bowl games. So yeah, the Judge obviously isn't indestructable. Also in close calls I've seen cases of lights flashing on both the red and green side, providing for much hilarity and question replacement.

Bottom line, buy an SVBZ dude, it's the cheapest thing out there and if it breaks it's repaired (and updated) for free, except for shipping.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

I'm just curious- why do those who hate the judge hate it so much?

It may not be good as many of the Zeecraft buzzer systems (admittedly awesome), but I think that it's a perfectly serviceable system.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I love The Judge, but it might just be because I associate it with some of the best tournaments I ever played. I don't understand the vitriolic hate for The Judge that some people had. I think we did get unlucky and get a lemon when we ordered one.
Philip Marschall
Lulu

Post by Philip Marschall »

Bad things about The Judge:

1. The buzzing motion is completely unnatural.

2. Every buzzer is attached to one another, so if one person accidentally knocks their buzzer or even the extra fifth buzzer on the ground, everything else comes down with it.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Philip Marschall wrote:Every buzzer is attached to one another, so if one person accidentally knocks their buzzer or even the extra fifth buzzer on the ground, everything else comes down with it.
This reminds me of another couple of problems.

1) A problem can affect every buzzer on the system beyond the point of the problem. So, instead of one buzzer going out, often 3 or more will die at once.

2) These are VERY hard to work on because the wires are run parallel to one another and wrapped in a plastic that can't be removed. You have to cut the plastic cover, solder the wires, and repair with electrical tape.
Bigfoot isn't the pr
Wakka

Post by Bigfoot isn't the pr »

quizbowllee wrote:
Philip Marschall wrote:Every buzzer is attached to one another, so if one person accidentally knocks their buzzer or even the extra fifth buzzer on the ground, everything else comes down with it.
This reminds me of another couple of problems.

1) A problem can affect every buzzer on the system beyond the point of the problem. So, instead of one buzzer going out, often 3 or more will die at once.

2) These are VERY hard to work on because the wires are run parallel to one another and wrapped in a plastic that can't be removed. You have to cut the plastic cover, solder the wires, and repair with electrical tape.
Just send it back to whoever makes them. They'll repair it for free (or a minimal fee)
Rob Poirier
CSW 07'
President of University of Delaware Academic Competition Club
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

Gonzaga's broken the lights on our Judge before. I dont know how. Maybe Father.
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

gonzagaeagleahy wrote:Gonzaga's broken the lights on our Judge before. I dont know how. Maybe Father.
They may burn out. We have one on our Judge that we refer to as "the developmentally delayed buzzer," as it sounds, but doesn't light.
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

The grabbing motion of buzzing with the Judge is much more reflexive and much more natural than the thumb- or index-pushing that Zeecrafts require. A stick with a button on the end of it is a really uncomfortable thing to push quickly.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

I'm waiting for a story from someone who had to take The Judge through an airport...
The Infanta
Wakka

Post by The Infanta »

Marisol Brady (they/them)
Kellenberg Memorial HS '09
University of Delaware '1X
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

I cannot stand a Judge system. I had one once and it was the least dependabe system I have ever owned. Plus my kids complain every time we use one oin a tournament, which, fortunately, around here is not often.

Give me an Anderson system because it is cheap and durable and they fix it quickly and cheaply when needed. I have 4 of them and my oldest one just now needs fixing, after 6 years of use.
mhanna
Lulu

Post by mhanna »

My Anderson system lasted a year. But, to their credit, I shipped it back and Anderson repaired the system quickly and inexpensively. I hesitate to send my Zee Craft for repairs. Eventhough the system is expensive, it is extremely delicate and the wiring appears to become brittle. We went from 16 working units down to eight over time. My vote is for the Anderson system.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

I love my NEDs.

Sure, you have to replace 20% of the buzzers annually, but who else gives you TWO VOLUME SETTINGS? Huh?

TJ players--can I get a amen?

Eric
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

rchschem wrote:TJ players--can I get a amen?
Amen!
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

rchschem wrote:I love my NEDs.

Sure, you have to replace 20% of the buzzers annually, but who else gives you TWO VOLUME SETTINGS? Huh?

TJ players--can I get a amen?

Eric
We never even had to replace ours. I thought they were easily one of the best systems I ever played on.

We had a judge-like system in our first match at GSAC this year, and the moderator told me off for trying to use it as a foot pedal. Not my best match.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

MahoningQuizBowler wrote:I'm waiting for a story from someone who had to take The Judge through an airport...
I've flown with a Judge at least 4 or 5 times, both checking it and carrying it on, and never had a problem. I don't think we've ever even had to plug it in to demonstrate what it does. Then again, I suppose a bunch of quizbowlers don't really look terribly threatening...
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

When I played Matt Keller he pulled out a gun and said "If you answer that Mohism tossup imma blow your brains out" and then he plugged in bombs to the judge buzzers on my side so we'd blow up the next time we buzzed in. True story.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

And it doesn't help that the cords are so short. You have to sit really close to the moderator and the other players.
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

Post by mceschermaniac4 »

We have a Judge and we really enjoy it. Its really good because we practice during homeroom (a random 25 minute free class right after lunch) and before our coache's next class can come in we can pack it up in a snap. Although it is kinda wierd buzzing in, you get used to it pretty quickly. It does tend to break if you slam on it or keep hitting it when someone has already buzzed in.
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Steroid McBlooddoper wrote: In regards to number one, the Knot that we have has been pretty reliable. I think the center console had to be fixed like three years ago, but we've had absolutely no problems since then. I might even be so bold to say that the system is as reliable as the Judge.
I wouldn't be quite so quick there...I had to have the whole thing refurbed in the summer of 04. It wasn't just the console, there were several dead buzzers as well - including the mythical A1.

The company did a great job of cleaning it up and making it the Knot we all know (and love) today. It's been sturdy since then though, from what I can gather. Cable ties are your friend.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Our own Knot has majority dead buzzers now. A1 died, like, years ago (probably due to me using it and dropping it all the damn time...) It's a useful system due to long cords and lots of buzzers, but it's cumbersome to operate or transport and (at least in my experience) somewhat fragile.
Actually, that brings me to a point. The Judge is far and away the easiest system to set-up, take down, and transport (jokes about airport security aside,) which are often overlooked. To me, those are perhaps even more important than its legendary durability. Finally, relative to other buzzer systems, I've had a much easier time getting for and paid much less for repairs on the Judge.

Later,
MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Ugly
Lulu

Post by Ugly »

I've used the judge before, and it made my palm itch. But to each his own.
Jamie Ding
Grosse Pointe North High School 2009
Princeton 2013

This signature is superior to itself.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Hey so I just found out that we have up to $1200 of school money to spend on a buzzer system. What is the most ludicrously expensive buzzer system out there?
Mike Bentley
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Pimp Mike's Buzzer System
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Personally I would get a couple or three moderately priced systems.. they are handy when you are doing tournaments or need to carry extra teams..
The Goffman Prophecies

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Hey so I just found out that we have up to $1200 of school money to spend on a buzzer system. What is the most ludicrously expensive buzzer system out there?
You could get at least two more knots with that much dough.
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

I really, really dislike the Judge. You really have to jam the darn "gas-pedal" system to make it work, and, as mentioned before, if one goes down, it takes the rest with it. I understand that there's a trade-off between ease of use and durability, but I just don't like it. It's clunky.

The buzzer system we have [which, regrettably, I forget the name of] is actually pretty decent. The buttons aren't too sensitive or too tough, and the only problem we've had is broken tips. We occasionally have worse problems, but our coach is an electrician by trade, so it's all good.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

I don't care much for The Judge myself, it's too, as said before, 'clunky' and those pedals are hard to buzz easily.

I am quite partial to The Officiator myself...
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

GoffManProphecies wrote:
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Hey so I just found out that we have up to $1200 of school money to spend on a buzzer system. What is the most ludicrously expensive buzzer system out there?
Out of curiosity, where would one purchase another Knot from? I looked online for "QuizWizard" and couldn't find anything.
Mike Bentley
The Goffman Prophecies

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:
GoffManProphecies wrote:
Out of curiosity, where would one purchase another Knot from? I looked online for "QuizWizard" and couldn't find anything.
I believe it is the QuizWizard II - Google corrected me and produced this link after searching for "Quiz Wizard II"

http://www.c-e-d-inc.com/products.htm

This is the same place that we purchased our system from originally, and the place where I got it serviced. I suspect that this is the only readily locatable source for them.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

So we're going to be buying at least one new buzzer system sometime soon. Does anyone have any recomendations?

I'm not getting any new SVBZs as even when restored they haven't been very reliable.

I'm not getting a Judge, because they suck.

Zeecraft is a possibility, but the cords are a little annoying and it's perhaps a bit pricey.

And I think one Knot is more than enough for a team.

I'd prefer to have a buzzer that doesn't require too much setup, is reliable and durable, and doesn't make annoying sounds.
Mike Bentley
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:I'd prefer to have a buzzer that doesn't require too much setup, is reliable and durable, and doesn't make annoying sounds.
The name of the system you want rhymes with Jhe Tudge.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

The best system I have played is the Buzzersystems.com one, but those are expensive.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Trevkeeper wrote:The best system I have played is the Buzzersystems.com one, but those are expensive.
Thanks.
ImmaculateDeception wrote:The name of the system you want rhymes with Jhe Tudge.
No thanks.
Mike Bentley
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

If you get those strobe light buzzers I'll never come to a Maryland tournament again.
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Going to tourneys is interesting just to see the variation of buzzers brought. We'll always have at least one Judge [referred to by some of the younger members of the team as "those gas-pedal buzzers"], the more traditional buzzers [Black, square red button, green or red light on the buzzer], perhaps one of those trigger buzzers [you know, the ones with the lights on the case and simple triggers with the buttons on top], and then the obscure one. The worst one I've seen was a bunch of connected buzzers that all "easily" packed into a thin yellow case. It was a nightmare to put away.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again