Illinois '07-'08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:
BGSO wrote:Their hotshot freshmen Arjun who is still IMO too young to be as dominant at varsity as he is at JV.
Age has nothing to do with ability. While this Arjun may or may not be good enough to be a great varsity player as a sophomore, I know I was good enough my sophomore year to beat most Missouri teams and to play close with some others. Also, Keith from RM definitely qualifies as a dominating sophomore last year, no?
Agreed. The question is not "Is he too young" but "Is he good at quizbowl." As 6 of this year's top 25 players were sophomores, it seems that ability and age are not necessarily associated.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
BGSO
Tidus

Post by BGSO »

Very true, what if I said I don't think his skills have matured enough, is that better?
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

BGSO wrote:Very true, what if I said I don't think his skills have matured enough, is that better?
Better, but "he lacks depth of knowledge" or "he's not yet that good at Quizbowl" would be better.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Before we all jump on BGSO, he makes a good point. I played against Arjun at least twice this year in the afternoon rounds, and there were times where he looked unbeatable, and times when he hardly touched the buzzer. Some of this inconsistency can be blamed on his freshman/sophomore lack of experience that BGSO is talking about. That said, he is a major bright spot for the future of Fremd scobowl.
BGSO
Tidus

Post by BGSO »

JohnGlerum wrote:Before we all jump on BGSO, he makes a good point. I played against Arjun at least twice this year in the afternoon rounds, and there were times where he looked unbeatable, and times when he hardly touched the buzzer. Some of this inconsistency can be blamed on his freshman/sophomore lack of experience that BGSO is talking about. That said, he is a major bright spot for the future of Fremd scobowl.
I agree 100% although he will most probably dominate on the JV circuit I don't think he is ready to make the jump to Varsity and keep that same level of domination.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

JohnGlerum wrote:Before we all jump on BGSO,
I couldn't agree more ... we should be jumping on John Glerum.

Why? No reason .....
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:Age has nothing to do with ability.
But age has a LOT to do with experience, and experience has a LOT to do with ability. Age directly, no. There are certainly some fantastic underclassmen. But since even they get better with age, the best players tend to be older ones. There are of course exceptions, Sir Dees.
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

soooooooooooo
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Sooooo...who (besides us) is planning to go to the U of I Early Bird on October 13?
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

I'm fairly sure Auburn's going.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Who is planning on sending frosh/soph teams to the Fremd Tournament on October 27th?
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

David Riley wrote:Sooooo...who (besides us) is planning to go to the U of I Early Bird on October 13?
New Trier is.
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

jonah wrote:
David Riley wrote:Sooooo...who (besides us) is planning to go to the U of I Early Bird on October 13?
New Trier is.
That's terrific! If someone from New Trier could shoot me an e-mail and make it official at your convenience, I'd really appreciate that.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Loyoa plans to send two teams to Fremd.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

I intend to bring a team of Barrington kids to Fremd, which represents BHS's first foray into the non-conference tournament arena at either level. K. Palmer told me he'd send the invite to the attention of our varsity coach. Any idea when I should start asking him if he received it? The reason I ask is because I'd hate to assemble my team and have them practice for a tournament that they wind up never attending because I wasn't vigilant...
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matt Bardoe
Lulu

Fremd F/S

Post by Matt Bardoe »

Latin will probably attend the Fremd F/S tournament with one team. I haven't received anything yet, and I wouldn't expect to for a couple more weeks.
BGSO
Tidus

Post by BGSO »

I would do it, especially being in 211 (I'm in 214) we really don't get much exposure to other teams from outside our district (minus the quad). Fremd is a great chance for players to see that there is life outside of the MSL, and proves to be a great experience.

IMO
actoftheapostle
Lulu

Post by actoftheapostle »

SIVster716 wrote:I'm fairly sure Auburn's going.

are we going siva?
i can probably ask you cos you're right next to me. but i'm too lazy to.
are we going to ultima siva?
Michael Jiang
(Rockford Auburn High School 2005-2009)
(Princeton University 2009- )
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

To any Loyola Academy students who read this forum
:

Even though the power is back on, we will not have practce this afternoon since we don't have school. The powers that be would clobber me if I dared host such a thing. We will have practice Thursday (study from 3:15-4 [be on time!!!], then regular practice till 5). We now return you to our regularly scheduled program...maybe we should work out a phne tree to allow for future emergencies??
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Hah... that's two posts in a row of teammates and coaches from the same school talking to each other.

Back when I was your age, we used this forum to talk to the OTHER schools.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

cornfused wrote:Back when I was your age, we used this forum to talk to the OTHER schools.
Don't you just wish it was legal to beat senior citizens wth their canes?
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

cornfused wrote:Hah... that's two posts in a row of teammates and coaches from the same school talking to each other.

Back when I was your age, we used this forum to talk to the OTHER schools.
Why in my day, we didn't have these fancy forums! We had postal mail, and by golly, we liked it!
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

[quote="StPickrellWhy in my day, we didn't have these fancy forums! We had postal mail, and by golly, we liked it![/quote]

Weeeeee LOVED it!
DigitalRosh
Lulu

Post by DigitalRosh »

Any preseason rankings yet?
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

DigitalRosh wrote:Any preseason rankings yet?
Yeah, some people posted their projections a few weeks ago... consensus was Auburn #1, with the usual suspects to follow.

Interested to see how IMSA holds up this year myself.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Teams or individuals?
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

David Riley wrote:Teams or individuals?
David! You play nice when you're in the sandbox with the other children!
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

David Riley wrote:Teams or individuals?
I will say ranking individuals would be interesting.
DigitalRosh
Lulu

Post by DigitalRosh »

Teams.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

JohnGlerum wrote:Interested to see how IMSA holds up this year myself.
I second... for the obvious reason of the this factor
Matt Bardoe
Lulu

League Recruitment

Post by Matt Bardoe »

If any one is looking or knows a team in the Chicago Area (particularly North and Northwest areas) that is looking to join a league, the Metro North League is looking for new teams. Currently, we have 9 teams (Roycemore, Notre Dame, Carmel, St. Viator, St. Pat's, Driscoll, Latin, St. Ignatius, and Whitney Young) and each team plays each other twice over the course of 4 meets. Please contact Matt Bardoe at the Latin School of Chicago, [email protected] for more information.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Re: League Recruitment

Post by Tegan »

Matt Bardoe wrote:If any one is looking or knows a team in the Chicago Area (particularly North and Northwest areas) that is looking to join a league, the Metro North League is looking for new teams. Currently, we have 9 teams (Roycemore, Notre Dame, Carmel, St. Viator, St. Pat's, Driscoll, Latin, St. Ignatius, and Whitney Young) and each team plays each other twice over the course of 4 meets. Please contact Matt Bardoe at the Latin School of Chicago, [email protected] for more information.
A year ago ..... I might have had a taker on that .... :twisted:

I don't know any other good Catholic/private/independent schools in that neck of the woods. :wink:
mlaird
Tidus

Re: League Recruitment

Post by mlaird »

Tegan wrote:I don't know any other good Catholic/private/independent schools in that neck of the woods. :wink:
Not gonna happen.
Matt Bardoe
Lulu

Post by Matt Bardoe »

We would be glad to have public schools as well. So don't limit your thoughts in anyway. :grin: We would also welcome any schools that might want to just get started with a team.

Matt
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Matt Bardoe wrote:We would be glad to have public schools as well. So don't limit your thoughts in anyway. :grin: We would also welcome any schools that might want to just get started with a team.

Matt
Seriously .... a year or two or three ago, when I was coaching, I might have entertained a conference schedule like the one NMSBL runs. The fact is, I think all of hte public schools are in conferences or leagues.

The only thing I can think of: about a year ago, the old Suburban Prairie Conference broke up .... I'm not a million percent sure that they all got into leagues again .... you might start there ....

The Suburban Prairie was ginormous ..... it stretched out to Kaneland in Kane County all the way down to Evergreen Park and south of there. I know Evergreen Park joined SICA which is now the South Suburban Conference.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

A revised schedule of tournaments for the year is available at http://www.ihssbca.org.

A few new tournaments have been added, particularly in the central part of the state. If you know of any others, please email me at [email protected].
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Laird, I laugh at your picture! What a joke!

Go Cubs!
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

JohnGlerum wrote:Laird, I laugh at your picture! What a joke!

Go Cubs!
Rich nor' sider from Kenilworth is getting ready to use his platinum card to purchase a jumbo can of whoop butt .... I don't know what's worse ... insulting Coach Laird or backing the Cubs.

Actually, backing the Cubs is worse.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Tegan wrote:Actually, backing the soon-to-be-playoff bound Cubs is amazing.
Fixed.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

"Guzman on the hill. Stoney, ya spell that backward it's...Namzooog."
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Alas, I will never hear the end of the "Kenilworth" insults. Mr. Laird is the man, but I cannot defend his poor choice in Chicago baseball teams.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Hey guys, it's Jim Thome :(

Be nice to Jim Thome. If you can't like and cheer for Jim Thome, then you can't like baseball either.
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

leftsaidfred wrote:If you can't like and cheer for Jim Thome, then you can't like baseball either.
Ha!
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Remember: He who laughs last, laughs at the Cubs.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Am I the only one on this board who likes both the Cubs AND the Mets?
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

David Riley wrote:Am I the only one on this board who likes both the Cubs AND the Mets?
No. But the Cubs first.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

I assume most Cubs fans, myself included, like the Mets. If you like the whole all-success-all-the-time attitude in Yankeeland, then why are you a Cubs fan?
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

No no no no no. Even myself, as a Sox fan, know that it is physically impossible to like both the Cubs and the Mets. 1969? Come on. Ron Santo won't even go to Shea Stadium to do broadcasts there.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

mlaird wrote:No no no no no. Even myself, as a Sox fan, know that it is physically impossible to like both the Cubs and the Mets. 1969? Come on. Ron Santo won't even go to Shea Stadium to do broadcasts there.
Sorry Matt, some of us don't remember that year.
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

Back in my day, the Illinois board discussed quizbowl. Ah, how things have changed.