Gauging out-of-state interest in an HS trash tournament

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

EDIT: EPIC II 2008

I am from outside of MN, but I would like to attend this tournament in Eden Prairie, MN
No votes
I would like to attend this tournament if it is hosted closer to home (please respond with specifics)
100%

Total votes: 3

Gautam
Auron

Gauging out-of-state interest in an HS trash tournament

Post by Gautam »

Good evening.

First of all, I will assume this is the appropriate place for this thread since there isn't really a forum for HS-trash tournaments. Anyway, there has been some discussion taking place in the Minnesota Comparisons thread about a HS level pop-culture tournament in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. EPIC II (name me with my title, yay) will be hosted by Eden Prairie HS on the 23rd of February, 2008.

The questions for this tournament will be house-written, and edited by a set of very competent people, so you can certainly expect very good questions at this tournament. It will be a standard tossup/bonus style, with pyramidal questions. Also, this year we are emphasizing post-1995 material, and you can expect about 50% of the questions to be about this time-period.

I am helping to coordinate the pre-tournament stuff, but the TD is Kirk Walton, who is the coach of Eden Prairie. I graduated from EPHS last year, so I'm kinda helping them out this year.

I want to see whether or not teams from outside of MN are interested in attending this tournament. The second option (about it being held closer to home) brings about the possibility of mirroring this tournament elsewhere. From what it looks like, this tournament coincides with tournaments in Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois, etc. However, if people want to play this EPIC set, and can't come to MN for whatever reason, mirroring would be a good idea. I know this sounds slightly ambitious for a tournament that is only being run for the second time, but we've started working pretty early on this and we hope to produce a solid and well-written set for this event.

A full announcement will be made soon whenever the final details (i.e. fee structure, etc.) are elucidated. In the meantime, however, please don't hesitate to ask for more info. Freelance questions are always welcome, and would be extremely appreciated. Email me if you're interested. I can be reached at gkandlikar atsign gmail dot com and I will forward any questions to the TD if I can't answer them.

--Gautam Kandlikar
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
pblessman
Rikku

Mirror at Culver Academies

Post by pblessman »

I would consider running a mirror to this tournament at Culver Academies in Indiana some time in Feb-May 2008... Going to MN right now is pribably out of the question for us
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I'm sorry, but unless Eden Prairie is also planning on holding some kind of academic tournament in conjunction with the trash tournament, I think it's really unrealistic to expect quizbowl teams to travel to Minnesota for it.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Bigfoot isn't the pr
Wakka

Post by Bigfoot isn't the pr »

I do like attending any Trash tourney but MN is a bit of a drive from DE. Perhaps College Park? They seem to be quite the center for Trash on the east coast.
Rob Poirier
CSW 07'
President of University of Delaware Academic Competition Club
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Charlie, your point is well taken. There are teams from Wisc and Iowa that show up at MN meets, and there I don't really have any of their contact info, so I am hoping some of them browse this forum. I guess that is another reason why I'm asking if teams would like to have a tourney closer to home.

--Gautam
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

We wanted to attend, but it's a long drive from Cleveland, through winter snows, we really can't afford plane tickets, and it's nowhere near the lakes.
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

Well, Garfield is hosting a trash tournament on October 13th, it might be an easier drive for some people.
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

YOUR NAME HAS BEEN MARRED
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White