How do YOU fundraise?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

How do YOU fundraise?

Post by TheCzarMan »

We had our biannual dodgeball tournament tonight. Before expenses it brought us in 1,000 bucks, after paying cops and such it was 650, but still good.

How do you guys fundraise for your teams?
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Not to sound snarky, but what about hosting a quizbowl tournament? And this could be an interscholastic event or even an intramural.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Host quizbowl tournaments. Actually, that's what I bet 90% of the answers will be.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

NoahMinkCHS wrote:Not to sound snarky, but what about hosting a quizbowl tournament? And this could be an interscholastic event or even an intramural.
There is nothing wrong with fundraising outside of tournaments.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Go to the Watts and sell coke and Post Mortem CDs.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

TJ runs tournaments and solicits the school Academic Boosters for funding. They get lots of money from parents sending them money and some of it trickles down to every academic competition club. It's pretty sweet.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

leftsaidfred wrote:
NoahMinkCHS wrote:Not to sound snarky, but what about hosting a quizbowl tournament? And this could be an interscholastic event or even an intramural.
There is nothing wrong with fundraising outside of tournaments.
Oh, no, I wasn't saying there was. I think anything a team can do to raise money is great if the players and coaches are willing to put in the effort. Dodgeball was an interesting idea. But the poster asked how we raise money, so I answered.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

NoahMinkCHS wrote: Oh, no, I wasn't saying there was. I think anything a team can do to raise money is great if the players and coaches are willing to put in the effort. Dodgeball was an interesting idea. But the poster asked how we raise money, so I answered.
Oh okay, cool.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

I meant outside of the obvious. We host an academic tournament every year (In March) but that alone doesn't sustain our program, not to mention it isn't as profitable. So we host 2 Dodgeball tournaments to supplement.
Bigfoot isn't the pr
Wakka

Post by Bigfoot isn't the pr »

Middle School tournaments can garner money and early interest in the team.

When you host a tournament, buying alot of pizza/soda/snacks is a good way to earn extra money. A lot of teams really don't want to travel to get food, so having some there is nice.

Also, your instructor can sell the rest of the food out of their closet/classroom/what-have-you in a black market fashion, assuming your administration frowns upon that practice.
Rob Poirier
CSW 07'
President of University of Delaware Academic Competition Club
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

Aside from hosting tournaments, I set up candy sales last year. We pull in between 30-50 dollars per day, and we've actually forced the vending machine company to increase their prices to make up the lost revenue.

Plus, I get to look like a drug dealer, carrying around the black suitcase-like buzzer case of candy.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Didn't anyone say Krispy Kremes?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

The problem with holding a tournament is that some areas are simply saturated with tournaments and that the HS quizbowl economy needs outside sources of money.

I don't think that quite applies to New Jersey though, from the volume of results I've seen
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
JLai
Lulu

Post by JLai »

At Norcross, we hosted a Students v. Teachers academic team event. It consisted of the AP and IB teachers and our regular team. Basically we played two games with two regular naqt packets(make sure you've never heard the answers). Ticket prices were for 3 dollars a person and it takes about an hour to run. This event can generate around 300 dollars or more. Its pocket change compared to tournaments but it helped us pay for nationals. So yeah... hope that helps.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Kids at your school payed to watch something like that? You lucky son of a gun.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

TheCzarMan wrote:Kids at your school payed to watch something like that? You lucky son of a gun.
If I remember my high school philosophies well, $3 was a small price to pay to get out of class for awhile.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Ah, we wouldn't be able to do this during school. After school only events.
Bigfoot isn't the pr
Wakka

Post by Bigfoot isn't the pr »

TheCzarMan wrote:Ah, we wouldn't be able to do this during school. After school only events.
Perhaps the teachers can offer extra-credit? Also, if they really chat it up and make a spectacle of it I am sure they could attract decent audiences.
Rob Poirier
CSW 07'
President of University of Delaware Academic Competition Club
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

Extra credit works. Period.
Brigette Demke, ex-Maine South
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Make a studs of quizbowl calendar. Months with 31 days feature Charles Dees, the rest, Chris Ray.

I'd be down. But Matt Weiner and Dan Passner really deserve the summer months.

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Setting something up where people exchange cash for extra credit? Sounds like a great idea! What possible problems could arise?

You could always do a calendar using highlights from my football career - December could be this time when I accidentally kicked my quarterback in the balls and then got him tossed from the game when it became. . . apparent. . . that he wasn't wearing all of his equipment. I think I have the game film, surely we could extract a calendar-worthy still of him clutching his groin in agony and screaming obscenities at me.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

I'm pretty interested in this dodgeball tournament idea.

a) who all competed? students from your school, teachers, students from other schools?

b) why were there cops?

c) what about like liability waivers and things of that nature? how did you get around it?

d) thats a ridiculously awesome idea.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

SaiemGilani wrote:I'm pretty interested in this dodgeball tournament idea.

a) who all competed? students from your school, teachers, students from other schools?

b) why were there cops?

c) what about like liability waivers and things of that nature? how did you get around it?

d) thats a ridiculously awesome idea.
A) 16 teams of 5 students, all from our school. In spring there will be a teachers team though.

B) Our school requires 2 officers as security at after school events.

C) Permission slips are handed in along with money.

D) It's been going on for I don't know how long.

If you need more information just email me at theczar1724 at gmail dot com
saskwatch1991
Lulu

Post by saskwatch1991 »

ummm here at Eastside in Taylors SC we sell lollipops from the Ozark Delight Lollipop company, they sell these suckers in boxes containing several bags of lollipops (60 suckers in each bag) they come in insane flavors, we sell them for 50 cents a piece, and we make a killing, on top of that, when you buy from Ozark Delight Lollipops, they make an agreement with your team or club or whatever to only allow your group to sell them at your school, so no other organization within your school can steal your fundraiser.
rleavitt
Lulu

Chinese Auction

Post by rleavitt »

We had no funding last year, so to raise $ for a registration fee to go to a tournament we threw together a Chinese auction.

Each of my players had to donate something (movie tickets, old Playstation games, etc) and I went to a couple friendly businesses in town who donated some items. We sold tickets at the school's Talent Show and made enough to go to our tournament. It was easy and lasted only a few hours. I've also seen splitting up the tickets for the students to sell (to their families, etc) before the drawings.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

If one of the players, one of their parents, or the coach is a competent investor, existing funds can be sunk in Google stock for profit. (Alternatively, you could give your petty cash to your team's best poker player...)

But seriously, the best way to do this is by hosting a tourney of some sort
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

SwissBoy wrote:If one of the players, one of their parents, or the coach is a competent investor, existing funds can be sunk in Google stock for profit. (Alternatively, you could give your petty cash to your team's best poker player...)

But seriously, the best way to do this is by hosting a tourney of some sort
Yeah, no one around here has a bank account with enough money to start investing google stock.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

I was kidding. Google stock is probably hitting a bubble anyway.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

We're planning to have a student/faculty game soon. You can pay three dollars to watch the teachers trounce us.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again