Illinois '07-'08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

So where is "SHE" attending high school? I recall she had a few options before her...
Sorry Chuck, just can't help with the Voldemort references! Assuming she continues her scholastic bowl career, you'll know her name soon enough.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

BarringtonJP wrote:So where is "SHE" attending high school? I recall she had a few options before her...
Sorry Chuck, just can't help with the Voldemort references! Assuming she continues her scholastic bowl career, you'll know her name soon enough.
She's attending Streator High School. I would definitely give the team a few years before they start to turn heads. For some reason, a lot of strong junior high school players/teams from the area (Northlawn '06, '02, & '01) have faded into high school mediocrity. After all the work put in, I'd hate to see that be the case.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Just last week, a cross-country coach and I were talking, as he tried to make me believe that downstate Illinois schools own the IHSA, and that the Chicago area schools have had their power eroded piece by piece. I didn't believe him.

In unrelated news: the IHSA is pursuing an investigation into hosting competitive bass fishing:

http://www.ihsa.org/announce/2007-08/2007-10-09.htm
the return of AHAN
Auron

Yep. And I'm first in line to take on that coaching position at BHS. Think of THAT title appended to my e-mails:

BHS Math Dept.
Varsity Bass Fishing Coach
Middle School Scholastic Bowl Coach

As you see, of course, I'd continue with scholastic bowl, unless varsity bass fishing State Series interferes, of course! :lol: :lol:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Tegan wrote:downstate Illinois schools own the IHSA
ha!
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

JohnGlerum wrote:
Tegan wrote:downstate Illinois schools own the IHSA
ha!
Yeah, we'll see how "ha" it is when the Loyola rowing team is disbanded so that the sculls can be fitted with outboards and coolers, and the pep band makes room for a banjo section.

And when they ask for a sponsor ..... well I reckon there aren't too many staff members at L'yola with home addresses south of the Mason-Dixon Line ..... like from ... oh, I don' know ..... LOUISVILLE!

It'll be a darn shame when you guys can't go to a tournament because Coach Riley is leading the Ramblers to a Bassmaster fishoff.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Tegan wrote: It'll be a darn shame when you guys can't go to a tournament because Coach Riley is leading the Ramblers to a Bassmaster fishoff.
As Buddy Holly says, "That'll be the day...."
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

I'm a bit curious, though. How would a bass tournament be self-supporting?
the return of AHAN
Auron

STPickrell wrote:I'm a bit curious, though. How would a bass tournament be self-supporting?
Corporate sponsorship and TV rights, of course! That or the schools that start competitive bass fishing sell their buzzer systems to finance the team rods, reels, and tackle boxes.

I say we take up a collection and send one of these to the IHSA offices:
long link to image
Jeff Price
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Keep in mind that self-supporting refers only to the IHSA. That is, the right number of schools would pay $100 each and the right number of companies would donate equipment and volunteers to cover the IHSA's costs to administrate the tournament. It doesn't take into account the fact that the individual schools that choose to compete would lose money.

I think that, if the goal is to involve students who normally are not involved, that the IHSA could do much better with video gaming or poker. How about we do none of the above and call it even?
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
the return of AHAN
Auron

ReinsteinD wrote:Keep in mind that self-supporting refers only to the IHSA. That is, the right number of schools would pay $100 each and the right number of companies would donate equipment and volunteers to cover the IHSA's costs to administrate the tournament. It doesn't take into account the fact that the individual schools that choose to compete would lose money.

I think that, if the goal is to involve students who normally are not involved, that the IHSA could do much better with video gaming or poker. How about we do none of the above and call it even?
WAIT! You mean I could be the varsity POKER coach instead? SWEET!!!! :lol:
Jeff Price
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

BarringtonJP wrote:
ReinsteinD wrote:Keep in mind that self-supporting refers only to the IHSA. That is, the right number of schools would pay $100 each and the right number of companies would donate equipment and volunteers to cover the IHSA's costs to administrate the tournament. It doesn't take into account the fact that the individual schools that choose to compete would lose money.

WAIT! You mean I could be the varsity POKER coach instead? SWEET!!!! :lol:
Next time I'm in Illinois, I'll call you on that bet.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

ReinsteinD wrote:Keep in mind that self-supporting refers only to the IHSA. That is, the right number of schools would pay $100 each and the right number of companies would donate equipment and volunteers to cover the IHSA's costs to administrate the tournament.
Several years ago, the IHSA discontinued the practice of charging schools for entering tournaments. Each state series has a budget, and then isaugmented by sponsorship. Currently, only a few state series are sponsored (football basketball, maybe volleyball). This step was taken because a number of schools could no longer afford to pay the annual entry fees. The Advisory Committee for Scholastic Bowl has repetedly asked for the $50 annual fee to be reinstated to cover expenses; perhaps cover a new venue, etc. This has been repetedly denied by IHSA administration.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

How was Ultima?
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Trevkeeper wrote:How was Ultima?
Auburn, Stevenson, Loyola, IMSA, respectively
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Ultima yesterday. Please send any comments/compliment/complaints to me c/o [email protected].
the return of AHAN
Auron

Does anyone have a copy of an IHSA Scholastic Bowl match scoresheet available as a pdf or other printable format?
Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
The ad hoc frosh/soph coach of BHS
Jeff Price
Stained Diviner
Auron

http://www.ihsa.org/activity/scb/2006-07/scoresheet.pdf

Please read the note on the bottom. If you are doing this as a last second emergency, then print the pdf. If you are doing this on a regular basis, then buy the book from IHSSBCA.
http://www.ihssbca.org/
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
the return of AHAN
Auron

Thanks David. I'm in a weird position, as I'm going to get compensated on an "as-needed" basis, so I have no budget of my own. Add that to the fact that our varsity coach isn't even an association member himself, so I don't know what he uses, or even if he keeps score, to be frank. I don't know if it'd be cricket for a frosh/soph coach to join when the varsity coach does not.
Do you know if I can buy the scorebook without joining the IHSSBCA?
Jeff Price
Stained Diviner
Auron

Yes. Just fill out the membership form and leave the membership part blank.
David Reinstein
the return of AHAN
Auron

Fremd Frosh/Soph Results (10/27/07):

1st: Stevenson A
2nd: Fremd A
3rd: Naperville North
4th: Latin School

Quarterfinalists: Loyola, Fenwick, Barrington, Wheaton North

The questions (Academic Initiative, I believe) were well-written, but seemed to be pretty difficult for kids who have been in high school for only 2-14 months. We actually had a clean sheet on both colmuns (to borrow the English soccer term) in the 2nd half of round #2 in our match, and I heard similar stories from other coaches.
Jeff Price
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

I think it's time for some Solo chatter
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

OK, I'll begin. The solo is always a good deal and a lot of fun. The competition is strong (and no out of towners this year) with the usual suspects--Ahmad, Brown, Gauthier, et al. Kudos to Mr. Reinstein in advance for all of his hard work; this is a MAMMOTH undertaking!
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

That's not chatter. That's chitchat.

prediction: Gauthier, Brown, Sundaram, and Fast, are probably locks for the finals.
Jain, Verity, Ahmad, Jiang, Someone from among the Stevenson players, Sido, Greenthal, Cohen, Irving and Ngo round out the rest of those who have a chance to make the finals, but will have to fight it out among themselves and those aforementioned powerhouses.
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

Who exactly is Verity? I feel like I've heard his name before and that he's on the Loyola team, but I don't know his first name or who he is.
JIrving
Lulu

Post by JIrving »

It is going to be a hard, but fun time this year. I, and the rest of the WN team, am really looking forward to it.
Last edited by JIrving on Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

mlaird wrote:That's not chatter. That's chitchat.

prediction: Gauthier, Brown, Sundaram, and Fast, are probably locks for the finals.
Jain, Verity, Ahmad, Jiang, Someone from among the Stevenson players, Sido, Greenthal, Cohen, Irving and Ngo round out the rest of those who have a chance to make the finals, but will have to fight it out among themselves and those aforementioned powerhouses.
I agree with your first four, definitely. And I think Ben Cohen is very nearly a lock for the finals as well.
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

SIVster716 wrote:Who exactly is Verity? I feel like I've heard his name before and that he's on the Loyola team, but I don't know his first name or who he is.
Mike Verity, he was our captain last year (this year too).
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

[quote="mlaird"]... and Fast, are probably locks for the finals.

Is Bloomington coming... I don't remember seeing them on the spreadsheet.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Fast won't be there.
David Reinstein
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

And Hunter missing out makes the other SS guys look a bit stronger...
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

I can't remember from last year... how many people are in the finals?
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I believe 9
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

JohnGlerum wrote:I can't remember from last year... how many people are in the finals?
It is nine...and why does Charlie know this!?
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I know lots of things that surprise people.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Deesy Does It wrote:I know lots of things that surprise people.
I'll vouch for this ..... though after a while it gets a lot less surprising.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

The ethics discussion on juniors playing freshman/sophomore events has been moved to Special Discussions at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewto ... fef03ba9d9 .
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Will Run PACE for Reese's wrote:The ethics discussion on juniors playing freshman/sophomore events has been moved to Special Discussions at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewto ... fef03ba9d9 .
In light of this, I'll go back to Solo.

Other than the usuals, I think Verity, Friedman, and HF's #1 (can't remember name) might be some dark horses for the final 9.
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

I predict Gauthier will be morning champion. Somebody unexpected will win the Desperation Shot. The other seven finalists will be known names, but some known names will not make the finals.

And of course, Dewey will handily defeat Truman.
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

From Lincoln-Way East:

1. Wheaton North A
2. Naperville North
3. Wheaton Warrenville South
4. Lincoln-Way East

Also made it to playoffs: Bradley-Bourbonnais, Fremd, Naperville Central, and Wheaton North B
actoftheapostle
Lulu

Sterling F/S

Post by actoftheapostle »

Anyone have the results from Sterling f/s?
Michael Jiang
(Rockford Auburn High School 2005-2009)
(Princeton University 2009- )
JackGlerum
Tidus

Re: Sterling F/S

Post by JackGlerum »

actoftheapostle wrote:Anyone have the results from Sterling f/s?
Laird texted me saying that Loyola beat Auburn by 5 in the finals.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Full Results from Sterling F/S:

1.) Loyola
2.) Auburn 'A'
3.) Lasalle-Peru
4.) Byron
5.) Geneseo
6.) Bettendorf
7.) Orion
8.) Moline

Top Scorer was Zahed from Auburn 'A', followed by Christian from Loyola.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Congrats to Mr. Brad Fischer
David Reinstein
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

And the future Mrs. Brad Fischer, of course.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

ReinsteinD wrote:Congrats to Mr. Brad Fischer
:w-hat:
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

mlaird wrote:And the future Mrs. Brad Fischer, of course.
Yes indeed. Congratulations.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

IF they announced their engagement, one could have AT LEAST posted here....all we got were congratulations. One might then well ask, for what?

But....

CONGRATULATIONS :grin:
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Thanks! :) I would have posted some sort of announcement if we'd thought of it. I think Facebook has pretty much usurped that position :)
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

Congrats! All the best to both of you!
Brigette Demke, ex-Maine South