Announcement: ACF Fall North at Minnesota, Sunday November 4

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Announcement: ACF Fall North at Minnesota, Sunday November 4

Post by theMoMA »

The University of Minnesota will be hosting the ACF Fall North region on Sunday, November 4th. NAQT is hosting a juniorbird tournament called Tartan Tussle at Macalester on Saturday the 3rd. We strongly encourage all interested teams from the Tartan Tussle to play ACF Fall, and there will be a discount for teams playing both tournaments.

Here's the fee chart:
Base fee: $110
Buzzer discount: -$5
Moderator discount: -$10 (up to 3 moderators)
Tartan Tussle discount: -$20
Minimum Fee: $60

Packet submission is required, as laid out here. Packet fee schedule:
Submitted by September 1: -$50
Submitted by September 15: -$20
Submitted by September 29: $0
Submitted by October 6 +$20
Submitted by October 20 +$50
No packet submitted by October 20: Dropped from tournament
Submit packets to ekwartler at gmail dot com

Registration will open at 10:00am in the Mississippi Room on the third floor of Coffman Memorial Union, located at 300 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis MN 55455.

Please email ottox131 at umn dot edu or [email protected] if you have any questions. We can help you out with hotel and transportation questions, financial issues, or anything else. We really want anyone who wants to play to be able to, so if there's a problem make sure to let us know so we can work with you to solve it.

And please let us know as soon as possible your commitment to attend our region's ACF Fall tournament by sending an email to ottox131 at umn dot edu. And get working on those packets!
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I know Drake is coming to this because they've submitted a packet. Who else is coming to this mirror?
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Notre Dame is sending a team
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Wouldnt the UIUC site make more sense for Notre Dame?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

IIRC, many of them are going to the ND/Navy game that Saturday.
Duke Togo
Lulu

Post by Duke Togo »

3D Lemmings, Location: Notre Dame wrote:Notre Dame is sending a team
DaGeneral wrote:IIRC, many of them are going to the ND/Navy game that Saturday.
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Duke Togo wrote:
3D Lemmings, Location: Notre Dame wrote:Notre Dame is sending a team
DaGeneral wrote:IIRC, many of them are going to the ND/Navy game that Saturday.
What are you confused about, Duke? The game is on Saturday, the tournament is on Sunday.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Lawrence will send one team - we're playing the Tartan Tussle, too.

Mileage discounts? Yes? No? Appleton to Minneapolis is just under 300 miles...
Last edited by Maxwell Sniffingwell on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

You got one together? Do tell.
Brigette Demke, ex-Maine South
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

I will later.

So who's coming so far?
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Here's what I have so far:

3 Carleton
2+ Minnesota
Drake
Lawrence
Notre Dame
Mount Mercy

Still waiting to hear from a couple schools. Notably, Macalester and ISU might send teams. It's also possible that I forgot to mention some, in which case I'll update this later.
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

3 Carleton
2 Minnesota
Drake
Lawrence
Mount Mercy
Wayzata
Michael and Sam and friends

Three Carletons instead of four, and Notre Dame dropped. After a brief chance that Mac could come, they've now dropped. However, two high schools have entered the fold, and we'll have 11 teams.
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

I am not sure if Wayzata is going to attend, as Mitu hasn't contacted me about what's going on tomorrow morning and I'm guessing if we did attend it would just be Mitu and I. I really would like to attend, but if Mitu doesn't give me any confirmation I don't want to show up tomorrow without a team and play by myself again like at Titanomachy.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
robertjameson
Kimahri

Mike and Sam?

Post by robertjameson »

Who are Mike and Sam and friends? Mike Pitera and Sam Caldis? Because that would be awesome!
"Laborare est orare"
-Rule of St. Benedict.

"A rule, which, in speculation, may seem the most advantageous to society, may yet be found, in practice, totally pernicious and destructive." -David Hume.

Somehow I doubt that considering there is a Mike and a Sam on Eden Prairie.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

I believe that would have been Michael Wright from Eden Prairie and Sam Peterson from Chaska, but now it's looking like it will be Michael, Igor from EP, (Mitu) and myself making up a team.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

I am assuming Andrew will post stats soon, but I figure I would provide a quick recap for people who are interested.

There were ten teams at this tournament. The tournament was won by Minnesota B (Rob Carson, Gautam Kandlikar, and Bernadette Spencer). The second place team was Drake (Brendan Byrne).

Third, fourth, and fifth place went to a high school team consisting of players from Eden Prairie and. Wayzata High Schools, Minnesota A, and Carleton A in some order that I don't know.

After the preliminary rounds there were four teams with a 7-2 record. After a playoff between the top 5 teams Minnesota B and Drake were in the championship game. Minnesota had a one game advantage because they had one fewer loss. Drake won the first game, and lost the second game.

The top scorer was Brendan Byrne and the number two scorer was Michael Wright. Other people in the top 8 in no order were Greg Peterson, Richard Leavelle, Andrew Bockover, Gautam Kandlikar, Rob Carson, and Andreas Stoehr.

This was a really fun tournament. I enjoyed playing 14 rounds and I definitely got my money's worth.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

bjb87 wrote:Other people in the top 8 in no order were Greg Peterson, Richard Leavelle, Andrew Bockover, Gautam Kandlikar, Rob Carson, and Andreas Stoehr.
I (Greg Peterson) was #3, Gautam and Rob were 5-6 respectively. I think Andreas was 7, but I'm not sure about the other two.
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

It was a fun tournament, even if we had to play 14 matches well into the night. :lol:

You had to pay yourself, Brendan?
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Hey, I'd like to thank everyone for sticking around. I think Brendan got the results mostly right above, so I will post stats without further ado.

full stats (playoff forfeits were added for only the top three teams)

I'm pretty sure that one of the games between Drake and Minnesota 2 wasn't inputted...if that was the case, I will remedy that ASAP.
Last edited by theMoMA on Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

There's a few little mistakes - for instance, one of Emily Koenig's TUs actually belongs to Richard Wanerman... but the major mistake is...

Wasn't Mount Mercy at this tourney?

Otherwise, the stats are good.

Other than the choice of start time, an incredibly smoothly-run tourney. Thanks to Andrew et al.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Can someone please explain to me how Wayzata had more tossups, a higher bonus conversion, and more total points than Carleton in the same number of games, and yet finished with 13 less ppg than Carleton?
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

cvdwightw wrote:Can someone please explain to me how Wayzata had more tossups, a higher bonus conversion, and more total points than Carleton in the same number of games, and yet finished with 13 less ppg than Carleton?
I think the 42 negs would do it. Chris Ray would be proud.

Edit: they didn't have more total pts - just more bonus pts.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Okay, I figured it out. Carleton's Team Detail lists 10 games in which they scored 3035 points. Wayzata's Team Detail lists 12 games in which they scored 3485 points. So, are those games missing, or forfeit wins that didn't get added to the "team detail" page?
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

vandyhawk wrote:
cvdwightw wrote:Can someone please explain to me how Wayzata had more tossups, a higher bonus conversion, and more total points than Carleton in the same number of games, and yet finished with 13 less ppg than Carleton?
I think the 42 negs would do it. Chris Ray would be proud.

Edit: they didn't have more total pts - just more bonus pts.
Uh either way it doesn't add up. let us say every 2 negs effectively cancel 1 tossup. (i.e. -10 + 10 = 0)... then, Wayzata/EP hs team had 122- (42/2) = 101 Effective tossups. By similar logic, Carleton had 109 - (18/2) = 100 Effective tossups. So, negs aren't the cause?

I don't know what might be the cause. "human error"? :wink:
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

Carleton A left before the tournament was over, and I believe they played ten games and were 7-3 when they left. They therefore forfeited their last two games, but since they forfeited the games they did not accumulate any stats for those games.

Mount Mercy was at the tournament but left after three or four rounds. After they left I believe they were essentially removed from the tournament stats and teams that were supposed to play them had a bye. I played them in the second round and won, but that game did not end up counting. I feel that Andrew did the best thing by just erasing all the games they had played, because it would be unfair for some teams not to play them because they wouldn't have the chance to accumulate stats.

I believe that both Drake and Minnesota 2 beat Carleton in the playoffs by default because Carleton left. If those games count as wins then the final standings should have Minnesota 2 with an 11-3 record and Drake with a 10-4 record. One of the championship rounds was not inputted and Andrew said he would fix that when he gets a chance. Drake beat Minnesota 2 340-200 that round, but it doesn't affect who won the tournament or the rank of the teams at the tournament.
Brendan Byrne

STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

bjb87 wrote:Mount Mercy was at the tournament but left after three or four rounds.
:w-hat:
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

ACF = impossible, obviously.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE

I would love to know if they played the team of high schoolers.

Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

Deesy Does It wrote:I would love to know if they played the team of high schoolers.
It says on the schedule that Mount Mercy was scheduled to play the high school team in round four and they left after round three of four, so I don't know if they played the high school team. I don't know why Mount Mercy left, but hopefully the tournament didn't turn them against quiz bowl.

Also, that was a pretty good high school team as evidenced by the fact they averaged over 20 points per bonus and nearly 300 points per game.
Brendan Byrne

theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Forfeits screwed up the PPG for some reason, so I manually added them by editing the html standings file to make the results shake out right. Once I get that missing Drake/Minnesota game (assuming it matters enough to people), I'll update the standings further.

And sorry for the late start time. Unfortunately, the building at which we host our tournaments doesn't open until 10:00 on Sunday mornings, and because we wanted to give teams who played in Tartan Tussle the ability to play Fall, we hosted on Sunday.

-Andrew