Talk about lit singles

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Talk about lit singles

Post by theMoMA »

For the most part, I was really happy with how the set turned out and how the tournament ran. My heart was warmed to hear positive responses from such a disgustingly talented field.

Major thanks to the question writers, especially Dave Letzler, who wrote nearly a quarter of the set. Special thanks to Ted Gioia and Dennis Jang for pitching in near the end when it was most needed. Thanks also to Chris Borglum, Chris Ray, Eric Kwartler, and Quentin Roper for your excellent questions. Thanks to Rob for staying up and helping me finish, and to Trygve and Rob for reading.

I'd like to hear any feedback you have, but I'm especially curious to hear thoughts on difficulty and distribution.

Thanks again to everyone who wrote, staffed, and played.

Andrew
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Did anyone convert Lu Xun
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

This was a fantastic tournament.
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

This was an incredibly well-written tournament, and a blast to play. Andrew and the other people who helped write the questions did an outstanding job.
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

DumbJaques wrote:Did anyone convert Lu Xun
There was a Lu Xun TU in the CO lit singles so anyone who played/wrote/edited that may have.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Not much to say except that I really enjoyed this set every bit as much as I enjoyed the previous lit singles. Excellent job to everyone involved, and congrats to Jon for his stellar performance.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Awesome.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Is this set going to be made available to the public?
yoda4554
Rikku

Post by yoda4554 »

Lu Xun was far, far from the hardest thing in the set. I'm curious to know if the harder-end stuff--e.g., Anne Finch, The Mandrake, Richard Eberhardt, Leucippe+ Clitophon--was converted, though stats seemed to suggest that most games had relatively few dead tossups.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

yoda4554 wrote:Lu Xun was far, far from the hardest thing in the set. I'm curious to know if the harder-end stuff--e.g., Anne Finch, The Mandrake, Richard Eberhardt, Leucippe+ Clitophon--was converted, though stats seemed to suggest that most games had relatively few dead tossups.
Anne Finch went dead in my room; I've never heard of her. I don't remember if Eberhardt was gotten or not, but think it was. Mandrake was definitely answered.
Jerry Vinokurov
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Yeah, my recollection is that, among my own games, I think all those things except Leucippe and Clitophon were converted. Weiner may have even powered The Mandrake and definitely won a buzzer race among himself, Jerry and me for it. I mean, the field at this thing was pretty good.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:Yeah, my recollection is that, among my own games, I think all those things except Leucippe and Clitophon were converted. Weiner may have even powered The Mandrake and definitely won a buzzer race among himself, Jerry and me for it. I mean, the field at this thing was pretty good.

MaS
I think the round when that came up was the second round between my team and Seth's team, but yeah, people playing here knew stuff.
Jerry Vinokurov
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Eberhart went dead in my room, much to my disappointment, but Jonathan got Silent Snow, Secret Snow, and Rom pulled The Mystery of Marie Roget. Seth got Mandragola relatively early as well. I was quite happy with how the sixes were converted, especially since many of them were pet topics of mine.
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

The set is available there...sorry if I promised you I'd email it and forgot. I've had quite a few requests for such things lately.

Thanks again to all the writers, staffers, and competitors for making this an enjoyable tournament.

Andrew