NT Varsity III (12/15/07) at New Trier (Winnetka, IL)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
leapfrog314
Wakka

NT Varsity III (12/15/07) at New Trier (Winnetka, IL)

Post by leapfrog314 »

New Trier’s Third Annual Scholastic Bowl Varsity Tournament will be held December 15, 2007 at New Trier High School in Winnetka, Illinois. The questions are written by Aegis Questions, Inc., a company closely affiliated with this tournament since its inception.

This year, however, we will be changing formats from standard Illinois to "modified ACF" format. Rounds will be untimed, there will be negs but no powers, and bonus parts will bounce back. Bonuses will consist of three 10-point parts. Like Illinois format, however, teams will consist of up to five players, and each round will have 20 tossup/bonus pairs.

We have not decided yet how to handle the category distribution with regard to math (especially computational math), but will announce this when we get there.

Before play begins, we will thoroughly explain the rules for any teams unfamiliar with the format. There will be five morning preliminary matches in round robin pools, followed by lunch. Lunch is provided to all teams, whether or not they qualify for the afternoon, and will be included in the cost of registration. Qualifying teams will go on to three single-elimination rounds.

Registration is $60 per team (not per school). It is expected that each school will bring at least one working buzzer system. Let us know if you can’t bring any, or if you can bring extras.

This year we have affiliated our tournament with PACE NSC. The teams that finish in the top four of our tournament will qualify to attend the PACE NSC to be held May 31-June 1, at George Mason University in Fairfax, VA.

We hope you will consider attending our tournament. See you in December!

Carlo Angiuli, Tournament Director
Nick Matchen, Tournament Director

Contact us on the board, or at [email protected].
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

So is there some kind of early field update?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Stained Diviner
Auron

Schools from which I have gotten an email from the coach or a form in the mail:
Bloomington (1), Carbondale (1), Culver (2), Fremd (2), IMSA (1), Loyola (1), Maine South (2), Moline (1), Saint Patrick (1), Stevenson (2), Wheaton Academy (1), Wheaton North (2), Wheaton Warrenville South (1)

That's 18 total teams, with the only out-of-staters being our neighbors to the East from Culver. This is very early, and I expect the field to double in size.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)

Huh, that's weird, Mr. Allen said he was going to email you over a month ago.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

I'm fairly sure we at Auburn are going.
Stained Diviner
Auron

The deadline is still a few weeks away, so it doesn't matter whether or not somebody has contacted me yet. If somebody is interested, they should contact me sometime in November.
David Reinstein
BGSO
Tidus

Post by BGSO »

SIVster716 wrote:I'm fairly sure we at Auburn are going.
Same with Buffalo Grove, I'll talk with our coach tom.
BGSO
Tidus

Post by BGSO »

Field update?
Stained Diviner
Auron

Field update here. NKC will not be there.
David Reinstein

Yeah, our coach decided he didn't want to drive to Chicago and refused to buy plane tickets (even though I'm pretty sure we have the budget...).

BGSO
Tidus

Post by BGSO »

Has question distribution been decided yet?
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

And what's the status on moderators?
Stained Diviner
Auron

I don't know the answer to BGSO's question. The answer to cornfused is that we need them--see you in two weeks.
David Reinstein
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

ReinsteinD wrote:I don't know the answer to BGSO's question. The answer to cornfused is that we need them--see you in two weeks.
You've got Kristin and me down, right? Also, if you haven't yet, talk to BJ Houlding (he's on the certified moderator list for contact info) - he might be able to drive in.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

I'll be there for sure, then.
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Do you still have space open? I might be able to bring a team from Northmont (OH) if you have the space. I will need to confirm with my students this afternoon.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Assuming that Mr. Reinstein has space, you buckeyes are more than welcome! We need (thirst for?) new blood! :smile:
Stained Diviner
Auron

Mr. Riley is correct. We'd be happy to have you.
David Reinstein
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Go ahead and sign us up. Is there an entry form or roster sheet that I need to fill out? Also, can I bring payment the day of the event. You can email me off-list at [email protected]

Thanks- looking forward to it.
Stained Diviner
Auron

I just sent you an email. You're in!
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

The distribution will be lit, math, science, and social studies 4/4; and fine arts and miscellaneous 2/2. About half of the math will be computational.
David Reinstein
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

We're still looking for moderators and staff, as well. We can't pay you in money, but we can pay you in Lou Malnati's pizza.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Trevkeeper wrote:We're still looking for moderators and staff, as well. We can't pay you in money, but we can pay you in Lou Malnati's pizza.
And Lou Malnati's pizza is sufficient payment. Mmm, deep dish.
Stained Diviner
Auron

The basic information for our tournament, which most of you got earlier, is at the end of this message.

We are trying to arrange to have a moderator for each match. We currently have 18 moderators to cover 19 rooms, so there might be some matches for which the coaches have to share moderating duties, but we will provide moderators for most matches. If you have former players or extra coaches willing to help out, let us know. Don't let us know about somebody unless you think that they would be a high-quality moderator.

The question distribution for our tournament will be standard for Illinois: Each match will consist of 20 tossups and 20 bonuses and will consist of four of each in the categories Literature, Math, Science, and Social Studies, and two of each in Fine Arts and Miscellaneous. Additionally, it will be five-on-five, which is normal here in Illinois. The time limits on tossups will also be what we are used to, allowing up to ten seconds after a tossup and thirty seconds after a computational tossup for students to ring in, and allowing students three seconds to answer once they are recognized. The matches will not be timed—we will get through 20 questions in each match. If we are running behind, we might shorten rounds 3, 4, and/or 5 down to 16 questions, but we hope that we won't have to do so.

There will be some differences between our format and standard Illinois format, however, which we hope will help students learn more about national and college formats. We also hope to attract teams from other states to our tournaments, and we will have teams from Indiana and Ohio next week.

One difference is that if a student buzzes in while a tossup is being read and gives an incorrect answer, their team will lose five points. The penalty only applies if the moderator is still reading and for the first team to buzz in.

There will be big differences in the bonus questions. The bonuses will be worth 30 points each and will generally consist of three parts (worth ten points each). The bonus parts will be read one part at a time rather than all at once. Once a bonus part is read, the controlling team has five seconds to answer it. If they haven't answered within the first four seconds, the moderator will prompt for an answer, and they must answer within one second of the prompt. Anybody on the team can answer, and the first answer stated in the direction of the moderator will be accepted as the team's answer. (Answers directed towards teammates will be considered conferring, which is allowed on bonuses.) Different parts can be answered by different team members. If a bonus part is answered incorrectly, the moderator will give the other team three seconds to give their answer. The second team will not get a one second warning. If the bonus part involves computation, the first team will be given a total of ten seconds rather than five seconds. The computations will be written so that ten seconds is a reasonable amount of time for each part.

If you want to practice with questions that have bonuses formatted similarly to ours, you can use sample questions from NAQT, which can be found at http://www.naqt.com/samples/

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

David Reinstein

>>>

This message is going out to all teams that are registered and paid for the New Trier Varsity Scholastic Bowl Tournament on 12/15. The current field is: Auburn (2), Bloomington (1), Buffalo Grove (2), Carbondale (2), Culver (2), Evanston (1), Fenwick (2), Fremd (2), Highland Park (1), Hoffman Estates (2), Homewood-Flossmoor (1), IMSA (1), Leyden (1), Loyola (2), Maine East (1), Maine South (2), McHenry (1), Moline (1), Northmont (1), Saint Patrick (1), Stevenson (2), Wheaton Academy (1), Wheaton North (2), Wheaton Warrenville South (2), Winnebago (1), and Woodstock (1). The field probably will grow a little bit between now and the tournament. The website, which contains questions from the past two years, is: http://nths.newtrier.k12.il.us/activiti ... rsity.html

Please arrive between 8:00 and 8:30 the morning of the tournament. Bring a working buzzer system. Though we will have bonus questions written in the college style, the tournament is 5-on-5. We are located at 385 Winnetka Ave in Winnetka—the New Trier near the Lake, not the New Trier near the highway. You can follow the directions to the Winnetka Campus at http://www.newtrier.k12.il.us/informati ... mpuses.pdf

Let me know if your status changes regarding increasing or decreasing your number of teams. It is easy for us to make changes a full week before the tournament, but it is difficult the week of the tournament.

Thank you,
David Reinstein
New Trier HS
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Northmont dropped out and is being replaced by McHenry B.
David Reinstein
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Morning results: teams advancing to the afternoon are as follows:
Wheaton North (5-0)
Rockford Auburn A (4-1)
Stevenson A (4-1)
Carbondale A (4-1)
Loyola A (4-1)
Maine South A (4-1)
Buffalo Grove A (3-2)
Wheaton-Warrenville South A (3-2)

Within a particular record, there is no significance to the order.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Quarterfinals:
Wheaton North 435, Buffalo Grove 135
Auburn 460, Wheaton Warrenville South 195
Maine South 370, Carbondale 240
Loyola 285, Stevenson 260

Semifinals:
Wheaton North 345, Loyola 255
Auburn 440, Maine South 90
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

1st Place: Wheaton North 295, Auburn 275
3rd Place: Maine South 240, Loyola 195

Thanks to a lot of great moderators: Angiuli, Bianchi, Binder, Fischer, Greenthal, Hedden, Houlding, Jameson, Laird, Laudermith, Matchen, Peterson, Poulos, Sido, Solomon, Sorice (with a haircut), Svetlichnaya, Strey, and Wehrman.
David Reinstein
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Hear hear. It just goes to show that one can have pyramidal questions and not run overtime if one has a cadre of knowledgeable moderators. . . and they weren't even paid!
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

I honestly could not recognize Sorice sans flowing locks until I heard his trademark subcontrabass voice.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

David Riley wrote:Hear hear. It just goes to show that one can have pyramidal questions and not run overtime if one has a cadre of knowledgeable moderators. . . and they weren't even paid!
Though I'm sure lunch helps. :) Good call! I know it's early, but do other coaches concur with this sentiment? Is this what is needed to start turning the tide towards more pyramidal-style question events?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Will Run PACE for Reese's wrote:
David Riley wrote:Hear hear. It just goes to show that one can have pyramidal questions and not run overtime if one has a cadre of knowledgeable moderators. . . and they weren't even paid!
Though I'm sure lunch helps. :) Good call! I know it's early, but do other coaches concur with this sentiment? Is this what is needed to start turning the tide towards more pyramidal-style question events?
I am so firmly entrenched in the camp that feels that ACF style bonuses as opposed to Illinois bonuses are the real difference in match length. At the RVC NAQT tournament, we had all matches (after some hiccups in round 1) going 30 minutes max. with moderators who had never done NAQT before - some who had never moderated before! I think that if the Decemberist had had a moderating crew along the lines of NT Varsity (the best crew I've ever seen assembled), it would have been closer to 20, but still. 45 minutes for a 20/20 Illinois match has always and will always be A: the expected match length and B: entirely too long.

When Illinois switches to ACF format (hopefully sooner rather than later), we'll start seeing 6 morning matches (20/20) pretty much everywhere. It's the bonuses, not the extra text.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Ah say, it's time for a secession! :grin:
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Will Run PACE for Reese's wrote:
Wait a minute. I'm runnning a pyramidal-style middle school event on March 15th in Barrington. Is all I really need to do to get people to moderate is offer free lunch? Am I wasting my $60/person I hand out to the moderators??? :shock:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stained Diviner
Auron

Pay your moderators. We're able to get away with not doing it because our team moderates instead of plays and because we have the tournament while colleges are on Winter Break, allowing us to recruit our alums and students from nearby schools who have played at the tournament in the past few years.

Even so, we really should pay our moderators and probably will up the entry fee at some point in the future to do so.
David Reinstein