Ben Cooper Memorial Fall Invitational at GDS (12/15/07)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ieppler
Rikku

Ben Cooper Memorial Fall Invitational at GDS (12/15/07)

Post by ieppler »

Georgetown Day School will be hosting the Ben Cooper Memorial Fall Invitational on 12/15/07 at the Georgetown Day High School Campus in Northwest Washington, DC. This will be an NAQT tournament. All teams are invited to attend. We will be using packet IS-72, with geographic exclusivity for Maryland and DC. We are working on securing geographic exclusivity for Virginia. Games will be timed if we can find enough timers. There will most likely be 6 preliminary round games, and playoffs will be held for the top teams. The number of teams qualifying for the playoffs will be determined by the number of teams in the tournament. Trophies will be provided for the top 3 teams, along with an award for the top individual scorer in the preliminary rounds. Registration will take place between 8:00 am and 8:50 am, with games beginning at 9 am. A light breakfast will be provided.

The fees are:
$60 for the first team
$50 for each additional team
-$10 per working buzzer system
$15 for the full question set (all 15 packets in the NAQT set, not just the ones used in the tournament)

GDS is located 3 blocks from the Tenleytown Metro Station on the Red Line, at 4200 Davenport St., NW. Free parking is available on campus. There are a number of restaurants in the area for lunch. For more information or to register, please email Ian Eppler at [email protected]. For more information about NAQT, visit http://www.naqt.com. The preliminary field is 48 teams, but that may be increased depending on interest and available resources. The registration deadline is December 8th. We hope to see you there!

Edited to confirm IS-72
Last edited by ieppler on Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

I hope the playoff seeding won't be messed up like last year!! jk
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

I don't know if you get to choose the set or not, but i'd personally recommend IS-72. Cause otherwise Gonzaga won't be able to come b/c that set is being used at princeton in october.
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
TheNuttyHopper
Lulu

Post by TheNuttyHopper »

We're trying to get IS-72, but they aren't sure it'll be ready in time for our tournament.
Last edited by TheNuttyHopper on Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lauren Feldman is a better history player than Dan Puma like I'm the Grand Witchdoctor of Timbuktu."
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

NUTMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

Cause otherwise Gonzaga won't be able to come b/c that set is being used at princeton in october.
Ditto for Whitman.
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

We will be using IS-72.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

awesome
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

Ian, I really wish we could come to this, but we're pretty committed to the CSI right now.

We'll try to make it next year though man.
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

E-mail invitations were sent out today. Mailed invitations will be sent out sometime next week.
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

2-month field update:
Gonzaga (DC)
Blake (MD)

Obviously, we still have plenty of space available. Send your registrations to [email protected].
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

Bump and field update:
Banneker (DC) x3
Bishop Mcnamara (MD)
Blake (MD)
Montgomery Blair (MD)
Centennial (MD) x3
C.H. Flowers (MD)
Gonzaga (DC)
Edmund Burke (DC)
Herndon (VA)
JEB Stuart (VA) number of teams is tentative
Mercersburg Academy (PA) x2
Pikesville (MD)
Richard Montgomery (MD) x2 or 3 (Feldman, I hope you're telling the truth...)
St. Anselm's (DC) x2
St. Maria Goretti (MD)
Stuyvesant (NY)
Thomas Jefferson (VA) x4
Tucker (VA)
Walter Johnson (MD) number of teams is tentative
Westlake (MD)
Whitman (MD) x2
Wilson (DC)

Tentative:

Expressed Interest:
Howard (MD)
Kellenberg (NY)
Perry Hall (MD)
Last edited by ieppler on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

TJ people that read this board:
Can the person responsible for tournament registration contact me at [email protected] ASAP?

Thanks,
Ian
Robbie Ram
Wakka

Post by Robbie Ram »

Any more field updates for this tournament?
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

Here is a field update. I will continuously update the field in this post.

Archbishop Spalding (MD) x1
Banneker (DC) x3
Bishop Mcnamara (MD)
Blake (MD)
Montgomery Blair (MD)
Centennial (MD) x3
C.H. Flowers (MD)
Gonzaga (DC)
Edmund Burke (DC)
Hayfield (VA)
Herndon (VA)
JEB Stuart (VA) number of teams is tentative
Marshall (VA) x2
Mercersburg Academy (PA) x2
Perry Hall (MD)
Pikesville (MD)
Richard Montgomery (MD) x2 (Feldman, I hope you're telling the truth...)
Robinson (VA)
St. Anselm's (DC) x2
St. Maria Goretti (MD)
Thomas Jefferson (VA) x4
Tucker (VA)
Walter Johnson (MD) number of teams is tentative
Westlake (MD)
Whitman (MD) x2
Wilson (DC)

Tentative:
Flint Hill (VA)
Howard (MD)
Last edited by ieppler on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

Also, if you are in the DC area and are interested in moderating for this tournament, email me at [email protected]. We will give you the packets, breakfast, and lunch.
TheNuttyHopper
Lulu

Post by TheNuttyHopper »

Due to various issues, this tournament will not be timed. Instead, it will be 20/20.
"Lauren Feldman is a better history player than Dan Puma like I'm the Grand Witchdoctor of Timbuktu."
fzhang
Lulu

Post by fzhang »

Do the top 15% qualify for nationals in an untimed format?
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

Yes.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

It doesn't really affect me, but I feel the need to point out that I'm pretty sure the vast majority of NAQT tournaments around the country use untimed formats, not to mention even more modified formats like those without powers and negs, and the modified sets/speed checks they use. If none of these formats were qualifiers, then NAQT would have a horrible draw to the HSNCT.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Bugsy
Lulu

Post by Bugsy »

Considering that there have been predictions of an ice storm this weekend, how will you let us know if the tournament is canceled or delayed? Is there a number we could call?
TheNuttyHopper
Lulu

Post by TheNuttyHopper »

I'll let Ian tell you some method of letting you guys know, but I would say it is very unlikely that the tournament will be affected, as the current forecast is no precipitation until 3:00, when a wintry mix may start. In parts of Virginia, it looks like it may just rain, and it doesn't look any worse in areas like Frederick/Hagerstown etc than it does in DC.
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

[ETC: EDITED OUT because a phone number was listed and the tournament has already been held.]
Bugsy
Lulu

Post by Bugsy »

Thanks for letting me know.
See you Saturday!
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

After 7 prelim rounds, the standings were:
1. Whitman A
2. RM A
3. TJ A
4. Gonzaga A
5. WJ
6. TJ B
7. Blake
8. Banneker A
9. Whitman B
10. RM B
11. St. Anselm's A
12. Blair
13. TJ C
14. Centennial A
15. TJ D
16. St. Anselm's B

The top scorers were:
1. Daichi Ueda, WJ-105 ppg
2. Dan Puma, Gonzaga A-85.71 ppg
3. Keith Jaimeson, RM A-70.83 ppg

Stats are available at http://gdsitsac.eppfam.com/FALL_individuals.html
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

Before I go out to eat, I want to congratulate TJ on their win in an exciting final and thank the GDS staff for a well-run tournament.
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

A-Ha Whitman A 7.0 28 7 12 140 3.07 2.33 430 61.43
Shantanu is the Beast of Beasts, God among mortals. I've seriously never seen that kind of power to tossup ratio.

Ian did a very good job as tournament director. NAQT questions still suck.
Also, I would like my neg prize.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

Final results:
1. TJ A
2. Whitman A
3. RM A
4. WJ
5. TJ B
6. Whitman B
7. Gonzaga A
8. RM B
9-16: Blake, Banneker A, St. Anselm's A, Blair, TJ C, TJ D, Centennial A, TJ D, St. Anselm's B

The TJ A-Whitman A final was one of the best quizbowl games that I've ever seen. TJ A was down by 45 going into the last tossup, and powered the last tossup and 30ed the bonus to force a tie-breaker. They got the first two tie-breaker tossups to clinch the game. The final score was 370-365. If there is interest, I can find the score sheets from the other playoff games on Monday and post the scores. I also have pictures from the Walter Johnson-Gonzaga A game and the final that I will post in a suitable place at some point. I apologize for any inconvenience that the delays caused. I hope that everyone had a good time, and that you attend future GDS tournaments.

I just noticed that Shantanu alone had more powers than all but 4 teams in attendance today.

I'm still working on the neg prize...hopefully, it will be worth the wait :grin:
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

Special thanks to Dr. Chuck, Steve Yang, and John Gilbert for reading and helping with logistics.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

I concur; the final was probably the closest tournament final in the DC area for a couple of years, and very exciting.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Well run tourney- really enjoyed it.
Congrats to TJ, Whitman et al.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Diet Chuck
Lulu

Post by Diet Chuck »

aestheteboy wrote:
A-Ha Whitman A 7.0 28 7 12 140 3.07 2.33 430 61.43
Shantanu is the Beast of Beasts, God among mortals. I've seriously never seen that kind of power to tossup ratio.

Yo check this one
GDS STATISTICS wrote:11 Sean Connery Thomas Jefferson A Pettitte 6.0 19 3 6 120 2.38 3.17 285 47.50
PHILIP GRAVES FEASTS ON POWERS

Also we did not like the questions very much. But the tournament was very well-run and the moderators were alright (some of them seemed new to the game but got better as the rounds went on) ty
flylikeaneagle
Lulu

GDS TOurnament

Post by flylikeaneagle »

Hey, great tournament! I really enjoyed it, even though the school took forever and a day to get to. I like it a lot!
Anupama Badami
Centennial High School
Tournament Director 2009-2010
kpillai
Lulu

Post by kpillai »

Congrats to Ian and the rest of the GDS team for a well-run and organized tournament

Also, amazing grats to Whitman A for a really tense final. Seriously that is probably the most exciting game I've played in in the past 4 years. Also my guess is that you would have won if it weren't for a few screwy bonuses (ANSWER REDACTED).

I hate seismographs.

fredit to remove reference to a NAQT question
Last edited by kpillai on Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keshav Pillai
TJ '08, Vanderbilt '12
closesesame
Wakka

Post by closesesame »

I concur wholeheartedly with Keshav that this was a well-run tournament on Ian's part and also that the final against Whitman was absolutely spectacular. Seriously, after so many games from which you almost become indifferent to this repeating canon of quizbowl questions, the game with Whitman reminded me why quizbowl is exciting and fun. Five-point finals are awesome. And big kudos to the guys from Whitman, wonderful show (and nice Santa hats).

I have to say I liked a lot of these questions. <edit> Lots of stuff that I liked that showed up consecutively </edit>. The quarterfinals were also much to my liking. Anywho, great job everyone!
Last edited by closesesame on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naren Tallapragada
TJHSST '09
MIT '13
kpillai
Lulu

Post by kpillai »

Also, not to detract from Daichi's (ig)noble achievement in receiving the neg prize, but I believe my pal JOSHUA HAHM a.k.a Jeff Goldblum a.k.a The Fly had 13 negs as well -- unless I'm completely wrong, which very well may be. In any case, congratulations to Daichi (and maybe Hahm) on his/their amazing achievement, and I hope the neg prize is ridiculously awesome :chip:
Keshav Pillai
TJ '08, Vanderbilt '12
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Hey everyone - don't forget that if you're discussing a tournament that has questions that'll be reused at a different site in the future, do avoid discussing answers and/or subjects of those questions until they're used everywhere.

Thanks!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Hopper wrote:I just noticed that Shantanu alone had more powers than all but 4 teams in attendance today.
You know, he could probably beat about all but 4 teams singlehandedly. Same with the honorable Phil Graves.
Megalomaniacal Panda on Absinthe
Wakka

Post by Megalomaniacal Panda on Absinthe »

aestheteboy wrote:
Hopper wrote:I just noticed that Shantanu alone had more powers than all but 4 teams in attendance today.
You know, he could probably beat about all but 4 teams singlehandedly. Same with the honorable Phil Graves.
I'm pretty inconsistent on NAQT packets, but with a few qualifications, I think the above statement could apply to a lot more people than me and Phil - you, Adam, and Dan among them.

It's worth saying that Ian did an excellent job with this tournament - he and all of the staff deserve our gratitude for getting things running so smoothly.

I thought that this set was a considerable improvement over the past three NAQT sets I've played (68, 70, 69A). Or, at least, the first seven packets and the finals one were. This is not to say I thought all that highly of the set; it suffered from the usual NAQT symptoms, with ridiculous subject distribution, similarly absurd answer choices, and disproportionately difficult bonus formats like lists (in some cases combining more than one of those problems) all making multiple appearances. The problems were just markedly less pronounced than in past sets.

Also, the final against TJ was among the best games of quizbowl I've had a chance to play. You guys thoroughly deserved that win, congratulations.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Kudos to GDS, this was a well-run tournament. As to the questions... NAQTs seem to be having more science than I remember in the past, but I'm thankful that the terrible pop-culture/random shit that we saw so much of at last year's Nationals seems to have declined in amount.
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

kpillai wrote:I hate seismographs.
Don't worry about it. I almost said (EDIT: something much more ridiculous) before I decided against it. That was another funky answer choice, (whatever it was).

Is mentioning non-answers okay?
Last edited by Stat Boy on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Technically, but if it in any way, shape, or form suggests the real answer that's a problem, so perhaps this isn't the best place to do it.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

Someone left a Smartrip card in the forum at some point during the day. If it belongs to you, email me and I'll return it to you somehow.
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »