Results: Marvin Lee Aday Open, UNC-Chapel Hill, 3/1/08

Old college threads.
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Results: Marvin Lee Aday Open, UNC-Chapel Hill, 3/1/08

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

UNC-Chapel Hill's Carolina Academic Team is pleased to announce that we will be hosting the Marvin Lee Aday Open on Saturday, March 1, 2008. The MLA Open will be a mirror of UIUC's Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament.

This will be a CUT-style tournament, intended to appeal to quiz bowl players of a variety of skill levels. Click here for more information on the CUT-style format and what team sizes your club's players qualify for. If your team does not have significant NAQT experience but has played in several ACF tournaments, contact me and we'll figure out an appropriate parallel. Grad students may play on solo teams, but due to the difficulty level of this tournament we'd much rather have y'all as moderators (see below).

Tournament specifics will depend on how many teams register, but we'll be holding this somewhere on UNC's main campus and doing some sort of round-robin with re-bracketing. We'll ideally be playing somewhere from 10-12 rounds.

Pricing information:

Solo team: $45
Two-man team: $55
Four-man team: $80

Working buzzer set: -$5 (no limit)
Competent moderator: -$10 (no limit, and since our registration limit will be fairly directly related to the number of moderators we get, please bring your grad students if you can)
Half-packet by February 1st: -$10 (13/13 from the distribution found here; only available to the first five teams who request it)

Minimum costs: $30/$40/$55

Registration deadline: February 22nd. We may have to set a cap on teams (depending on reader availability), but we'll try to put that up well before we reach said cap.

If you wish to register or have any other questions, you can contact the tournament director (me) at [email protected]. Thanks, and we hope to see you at Chapel Hill this March!

-Brice Russ
Carolina Academic Team

(Thanks to the admin who deleted my last post. We had a quite literal last-minute scheduling crisis that I expected to be resolved much less quickly than it actually was. On that note, thanks also to Trygve for the assistance he's already provided in getting this off the ground.)
Last edited by Red-necked Phalarope on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

So for CUT eligibility, will the results of the upcoming (this Feb.) SCTs and invitations count in this tournament?
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

That's a good question. I'm going to say no, because hosting a tournament between SCT and ICT causes some of the CUT rules (e.g. freshmen who can't play Div II) to get a bit murky. I also forget exactly when ICT invitations were sent out last year, but some teams might have to change their setup at the last minute, which would be inconvenient for everyone involved. If anyone wants to argue otherwise, though, I'll definitely be willing to listen to them.
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

So we've had a few teams express interest so far, but I haven't heard back from a lot of the usual suspects I would have suspected might show. Does school really start that late for everyone else or is there some other reason people are holding off? Let me know.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

School does start late for some people, plus there is that tournament at Columbia the same day, so a lot of people in the greater DC area need to have discussions in person with their teammates regarding which event they wish to attend.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Yeah, we'll have to wait until the semester starts to figure out what we're going to do. It's likely that at least our A Team will be going to Columbia, but I'm not sure yet if other people will be going to this tournament.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Yeah, I figured that CUWAIT would probably steal most of the prospective teams from Maryland northward when I saw their announcement. Splitting DC-area teams between the two based on experience would be an interesting idea, though--and would mean your younger players wouldn't have to write as many questions. (We haven't had anyone let us know they're writing a half-packet yet, so those opportunities are definitely still open.)
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Field update as of 2/20:

William and Mary
South Carolina (x2)
Maryland (x3-4)
Duke (x2)
Eric Kwartler
VCU (x1-2)
Wake Forest (x1-2)

Expressed interest:
Winston-Salem State
NC State
Last edited by Red-necked Phalarope on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Two more notes, after which I'll really stop bumping this for a while:

1) Thanks to the fine folks at UIUC, we are now able to extend the half-packet submission deadline to February 7th. This gives teams who have yet to officially register or submit a packet more than a week to submit 13/13 of your choice. Although packets must be blind between teams, we heartily encourage older players who are moderating/not attending to help attending squads with their question-writing.

If a team wants to write a full packet, contact me and we'll figure something out. The final registration deadline, in any case, remains February 22nd.

2) Given the general level of interest and staff levels, I'm going to cap this tournament at 16 teams for scheduling and other purposes. If I get a sudden influx of interest at some point, I'll consider raising this limit, but I'd really prefer not to be stuck with 17 or 19 teams and have no house teams available to even out the schedule.

See the post above this for updates on registered and interested teams.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'm a little confused about packets. Does every team going to this tournament have to write a packet?
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Oh, nevermind, I just read the other thread where it said mirror teams weren't required to submit packets.

Anyways, Maryland will likely be sending a team of around 4 newer players and then at least one solo/double team of more experienced players. So put us down for 2 teams at the moment.
Mike Bentley
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Yeah; although questions were highly appreciated, submitting a half-packet was completely optional and the final absolute deadline was about three days ago, in any case. My apologies for the confusion.

Glad to hear Maryland'll be coming. If y'all's contact for this tournament is going to be someone besides you, let me know so I can make sure to include them in my updates.
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Re: Announcement: Marvin Lee Aday Open, UNC-Chapel Hill, 3/1/08

Semi-final field update:

William and Mary
South Carolina A
South Carolina B
Duke A
Duke B
VCU
Wake Forest A
Wake Forest B
NC State
Eric Kwartler
Maryland A
Maryland B
Maryland C
UNC Gregory House

If you have an extra team that wants to join between now and around Thursday, let me know and I'll put them in the 14-slot. Most of the relevant information should be in the e-mails I sent out to the registered teams, but contact me if you have any further questions.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Live updates will be available at http://www.taftqb.com/t/mlao for those who are curious. Also, we dropped back down to 10 teams.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Maryland A, consisting of Chris Ray and Brittany Clark, defeated VCU's Evan Adams and Andrew Alexander 460-30 in a one-game championship to win the Marvin Lee Aday Open. Chris was also the top scorer and took home the neg prize, an LP of Meat Loaf's Dead Ringer. In a scrimmage game held after the championship, VCU (+ Matt Weiner) took on The World (Eric Kwartler, Chris Ray, Eric Douglass and Mike Bentley) and won 375-240. Full statistics from the round-robin can be found at http://www.taftqb.com/t/mlao/teams/standings/.

I want to take the time to thank all the people who helped make this tournament run ten times more smoothly than it would have otherwise. Thanks to Matt Weiner, Bryn Reineke and Julie Grondin for moderating, as well as everyone on Carolina Academic Team. Eric Douglass not only moderated excellently (using, ultimately, 3 different laptops and being the only person without a scorekeeper for a few rounds), but saved my hide for the second straight tournament I've TDed by writing a large quantity of questions (as did the rest of USC) on pretty short notice. Thanks, finally, to Trygve Meade and everyone who wrote freelance questions; this tournament obviously would have been impossible without all of y'all's help. If I'm forgetting anyone, my sincere apologies.

These questions will not be free for discussion until after March 15th, but we're looking for feedback to better the packets for the next two tournaments. Contact me or Trygve with any comments.

Thanks all,
-Brice Russ
TD, MLAO
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Also, I have to give the thumbs-up to Taft as a stat-entering device. It's pretty hard to beat free, but if you're looking for an easy way to provide live updates and upload stats from multiple sites, this is definitely what you want. There were a couple minor bugs I found when setting up and editing teams, but when it came to running the tournament proper I don't think there was a single problem. I didn't hear anything but good things from the moderators about it, though if any players or other people involved with this tournament have feedback, I'd be interested in hearing it.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13