Mirror: Matt Cvijanovich Memorial: 3/1 at St. Olaf

Old college threads.
Warsprite
Kimahri

Mirror: Matt Cvijanovich Memorial: 3/1 at St. Olaf

Post by Warsprite »

I'm proud to announce that St. Olaf will be mirroring the Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Tournament on March 1st.

For details regarding the tournament, I refer you to the original announcement:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewto ... vijanovich

For those of you that have never been to a tournament at St. Olaf, we are located at 1500 St. Olaf Avenue in Northfield, MN, just south of Minneapolis/St.Paul.

-Dan
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

AWESOME.

Are you going to require Packet submission? If so, are there deadlines/discounts?
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

Will this tournament (and the other mirrors) require packet submission?

I looked at the official announcement, and I couldn't find anything about packet submission requirments.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Hey,

We don't require packet submission from individual teams attending mirror sites. However, any packets that are submitted from a mirror team's site count against the number of packets they have to submit to me to mirror it. So, perhaps they'd be willing to offer a discount to you for not having to write one of their packets.

Trygve Meade
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

Has anyone signed up for this tournament, or gotten any more details about it?

I e-mailed the person who started this thread (Dan), and he e-mailed me back, telling me that he was studying abroad, and he told me to e-mail someone else that I haven't heard back from.

If anyone has more information, that would be awesome.
Brendan Byrne

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Minnesota will be sending at least one team.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

If anyone has a contact for St. Olaf, I'd appreciate the email. My email is [email protected], so if you're the Olaf contact, or if you know who it is, please email me there.

Andrew
giaquint
Kimahri

Post by giaquint »

Ok so everyone interested in coming to the St. Olaf mirror you will want to contact me. My e-mail is [email protected]. I don't have a full team list or anything like that but if more teams get back to me I can post one here. As for pricing I do not have the specifics but it should end up being about $60 per team with discounts if you bring buzzer systems or more than one team.
Thats All I have now but will keep you posted on further developments. Hope this solves some of the confusion.
cheers,
Nik
giaquint
Kimahri

Re: Mirror: Matt Cvijanovich Memorial: 3/1 at St. Olaf

Post by giaquint »

Ok, so I have the final info for the St. Olaf mirror!
The fee will be $50 per team -5 per buzzer system or additional team. We already have all the buzzers we need so if you have not already told me you are bringing them don't worry about bringing any. We will begin at 9:00 am in the science center, room 280. The teams will total 8, 3 from Carlton, 3 from UMN, 1 from Drake, and 1 home team. The best place to park is in front of Buntrock.
I think that is everything, see you Saturday,
Nik
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

If you're looking for a place to post the stats: http://tc.scobo.net/tc/tcapp/new.aspx is that site I was telling you about.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

I figure people might be interested in knowing what happened with this tournament so I will post stuff I can remember.

There were seven teams, so we played a full round robin. After the round robin the standings were:

1. Minnesota A 6-0 (Andrew Hart, Matthew Hart)
2. Minnesota B 5-1 (Rob Carson, Gautam Kandlikar)
3. Drake 3-3 (Brendan Byrne)
4. Carleton A 3-3 (Andreas Stoehr, Austin Bell, Larry Rolen, one other person whose name I don't know)
5th or 6th Minnesota C 2-4 (Michael Wright, Chris Carter, Gaurav Kandlikar)
5th or 6th Carleton B 2-4 (Nathan White, Nathaniel Snell, Emily Kawaler, Marc Boyce)
7. Minnesota D 0-6 (Alex Friedman, Carsten Gehring, Mitu Ramgopal)

After that we split into the top 3, and bottom 3. Minnesota D had some people who left, so they were dissolved into Minnesota C.

In the top bracket Minnesota A and Minnesota B finished 7-1. Drake finished 3-5. I don't know what happened in the lower bracket.

The top scorer was Andrew Hart. I was second, and Michael Wright was third. I think the next three in some order were Rob Carson, Gautam Kandlikar, and Andreas Stoehr.

Apparently there were not any packets left after ten rounds, so we didn't play a final. Minnesota said they would play off the tie in practice after all the mirrors and after the packet set is released. Regardless, a team from Minnesota won the meet.

Thanks to St. Olaf for a well run tournament.
Brendan Byrne

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I can add a couple of clarifications:

Minnesota C, with Carsten Gehring, went 2-0 in the bottom bracket to win it (or, rather, to tie in record with Carleton A). The top six scorers after all eight games were Andrew Hart with 100 ppg, Brendan with 90-something ppg (I think), Michael Wright with 70-something ppg, and Andreas with 50-something ppg, followed by Gautam and I, who both managed to go 43/6 for 50 ppg.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
giaquint
Kimahri

Post by giaquint »

Results are now (belatedly) posted at http://results.scobo.net/stolaf. Thanks to everybody who came, hope you had a good time.