Announcement: Sword Bowl Mirror at OU - 2/2/2008

Old college threads.
DVader
Wakka

Announcement: Sword Bowl Mirror at OU - 2/2/2008

Post by DVader »

The Oklahoma Academic Team will be hosting a mirror of UTC's Sword Bowl Tournament on February 2nd, 2008, a week after the main tournament and the same day as the Drake mirror. It is going to be a standard mACF-style tournament with the question difficulty aimed at novice players although all college students are eligible to compete. More information about the packet style and format can be found in UTC's post here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4653.

Scheduling: Registration will be at 8:15 AM, and the tournament will begin at 9. The length of the tournament will depend on the number of teams showing up, but it should last until at least 3 PM.

Format: We will play a round robin followed by a playoff to determine the champion. Tentatively there will only be one division, but that is subject to change if enough teams register.

Fees: Similar to Drake's mirror, our base fee is $60, and we will have the following discounts:
Additional Teams: Additional teams from the same school can attend for $50 each.
Travel: -$5 for teams traveling 150 to 300 miles and -$10 for teams traveling more than $300.
Buzzers: $5 per buzzer set, $10 max per team.
Minimum fee: $40 for a first team, $30 for additional teams.

Location: The tournament will be held at the University of Oklahoma Physical Sciences Center in Norman, OK. It is the place we usually hold our tournaments if you have been here before. If not, it is the tall, off-white building that resembles a blender on the far northwestern side of campus off of Elm St. Free parking is available in the Catlett parking garage across the street.
A campus map can be found here:
http://visit.ou.edu/vc_campus_map.htm

Contact: I, David John Gagne, will be the main contact and TD for this tournament. Please contact me at djgagne [at] ou [dot] edu if you are planning to attend or have any questions.

EDIT: Additional tournament information can be found at our team's website: http://www.ou.edu/student/okacf/swordbowl.html.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Teams Confirmed so far:
UTD (2 teams)

If anyone else is interested in attending, please let me know as soon as possible.
Last edited by DVader on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Due to Tulsa cancelling their registration just prior to the registration deadline and no other teams other than UTD expressing an interest in attending the tournament, we have decided to cancel our mirror of Sword Bowl. With only two teams from one school attending, we feel that there is not enough gain to justify the time and expense it would take to hold it. However, if you or your team wanted to attend this tournament but for some reason has not contacted me about it, please email me at djgagne [at] ou [dot] edu or post a reply to this thread before midnight tonight, and I will reconsider the cancellation.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma