Annals of SCIENCE!

Old college threads.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Annals of SCIENCE!

Post by BuzzerZen »

I hereby decree that this document is now part of the quiz bowl canon. The 2009 NSC will take place at the Ice Wall.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

TOM EGAN, TEAR THIS ICE WALL DOWN

:mad: :mad: :arminius: :mad: :mad:
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

Make sure you watch out for the Alice Cammel Spiders -- they are the size of cammels but have 8 legs and walk like a spiders.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Idiots. On the other side of the Ice Wall is another Ice Wall.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Marchbanks wrote:Make sure you watch out for the Alice Cammel Spiders -- they are the size of cammels but have 8 legs and walk like a spiders.
I read that as Alice Camel Toes the first time...
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Marchbanks wrote:Make sure you watch out for the Alice Cammel Spiders -- they are the size of cammels but have 8 legs and walk like a spiders.
And, apparently, as many as 12 humps.

So go, Alice, go.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

a bunch of complete ninnyhammers wrote:The sun and moon, each 32 miles in diameter, circle Earth at a height of 3000 miles at its equator, located midway between the North Pole and the ice wall. Each functions similar to a "spotlight," with the sun radiating "hot light," the moon "cold light." As they are spotlights, they only give light out over a certain are which explains why some parts of the Earth are dark when others are light. Their apparent rising and setting are caused by optical illusions.
I love it.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

There's no way that site is not a joke. I refuse to believe that anyone could believe in a flat earth. On the other hand, people sure are dumb, so who knows.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

grapesmoker wrote:There's no way that site is not a joke. I refuse to believe that anyone could believe in a flat earth. On the other hand, people sure are dumb, so who knows.
I believe that you are two-dimensional in the most literal sense. Prove me wrong, science boy.
Fred Morlan
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

leftsaidfred wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:There's no way that site is not a joke. I refuse to believe that anyone could believe in a flat earth. On the other hand, people sure are dumb, so who knows.
I believe that you are two-dimensional in the most literal sense. Prove me wrong, science boy.
I mean, I know I'm probably taking what's clearly supposed to be a farce a little too seriously, but the problem is that with the advent of the Internet, I've become unable to distinguish clever farce from actual beliefs. It's like sometimes, you go to a site that looks like landoverbaptist and then you find out it's not a joke; a little bit of me dies inside.
Jerry Vinokurov
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

grapesmoker wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:
I mean, I know I'm probably taking what's clearly supposed to be a farce a little too seriously, but the problem is that with the advent of the Internet, I've become unable to distinguish clever farce from actual beliefs. It's like sometimes, you go to a site that looks like landoverbaptist and then you find out it's not a joke; a little bit of me dies inside.
True, too true. The best solution is to probably always treat it like a farce, as loudly as possible.

Just messing with you, Jerry.
Fred Morlan
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

grapesmoker wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:
Website seriousness ambiguity is the main reason I stick to Coast to Coast AM for my "holy shit these people really believe these things!" enjoyment. A paranoid, meth-addled trucker's voice tells no lies.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Dolemite wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:
Website seriousness ambiguity is the main reason I stick to Coast to Coast AM for my "holy shit these people really believe these things!" enjoyment. A paranoid, meth-addled trucker's voice tells no lies.
I need to find out if there's still a local station that carries that, but I'm definitely not going to search for that at work.

"Uh, Fred, we see here that you spent time on the Coast to Coast AM web site. We can't legally have a policy against employing absolute morons, but since it does impair one's performance..."
Fred Morlan
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I have to say, Coast-to-Coast is incredibly entertaining sometimes. All the time.
Jerry Vinokurov
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

The educated stupid do not seek the Cubic Wisdom. They believe the Lie of ONE.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

leftsaidfred wrote:TOM EGAN, TEAR THIS ICE WALL DOWN

:mad: :mad: :arminius: :mad: :mad:
I could do one ice wall, but Dr. Reinstein says there are two. Everyone knows that to take down both would allow all of our water to run off the Earth into the void. Why would I doom the world to that.

Though I have often wondered .... if the world is so flat, then why do we celebrate Columbus Day?

Oh yeah ...... the mafia! Never mind.
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Q: "Why do you guys believe the Earth is flat?"

A: Well, it looks that way up close.
CASE. CLOSED.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Just admit it already: If you were dumber than a monkey, you would think the Earth was flat too.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Oh great... now we've insulted the intelligence of monkeys on this board. Don't we know that a thousand of them help to write and edit hundreds of qb questions every year at exploitative wages?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Will Run PACE for Reese's wrote:Oh great... now we've insulted the intelligence of monkeys on this board. Don't we know that a thousand of them help to write and edit hundreds of qb questions every year at exploitative wages?
I thought those were dwarves, who mined for questions.
Fred Morlan
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

No, no, no! It's goblins and they only mine bonuses, because the tossups grow on trees and probably aren't present in the bonus mines.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:No, no, no! It's goblins and they only mine bonuses, because the tossups grow on trees and probably aren't present in the bonus mines.

MaS
That was stupid of me. Thanks for the correction Mike.
Fred Morlan
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Q: "What is the motive behind this conspiracy?"

A: The motive is unknown although it is probably money.
No wonder I'm getting creamed in the market. My money's tied up in Round Earth companies!
:sad:
Q: "What's underneath the Earth?" aka "What's on the bottom?" aka "What's on the other side?"

A: This is unknown. Some believe it to be just rocks, others believe the Earth rests on the back of four elephants and a turtle.
FOOLS! Even scientists in ancient Greece knew that the Earth rests on the back of a turtle, which rests on the back of another turtle, which was on another turtle, which was on another turtle, etc. Which, of course, is where we get our concept of infinity. Jeez, I could do so much better as President of the Flat Earth Society. For starters, I would marshall Reinstein to act as commander of the snowmoblie-riding, helicopter-flying, Ice Wall Defense Forces, and Egan would be in charge of intelligence services. Ernest Shackleton would've never returned if Reinstein & Egan had been in charge! They'd have finished the job! :twisted:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------