DACQ Weekend of Quizbowl Goodness: BYO Dagger (3/15/08) @GMU

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

DACQ Weekend of Quizbowl Goodness: BYO Dagger (3/15/08) @GMU

Post by DumbJaques »

This is the formal announcement for the much-discussed DACQ Weekend of Quizbowl I: BYO Dagger, which will occur on MARCH 15, 2008 at George Mason University, thanks to the very appreciated assistance of Dr. Chuck.

This event, as previously stated, will consist of multiple competitions. The two primary tournaments will occur on Saturday and Sunday, while side competitions will occur on Friday and Saturday evenings. A registration will cover both main tournaments, while the two side events will likely be $5-15 per person (as they are individual and not team-based in nature).

Tournaments:
Saturday: Saturday's tournament will almost certainly use questions from the 2008 University of Illinois Novice Collegiate Tournament, perhaps with some minor editing by DACQ. We expect the set to be very appropriate for high school play. Matches will consist of twenty tossups with thirty-point bonuses. We are still formulating the exact structure of the competition, but teams will be guaranteed at least ten total rounds of play, some of which will be prelims and some of which will be playoffs. Of course, not all teams will make the playoffs, but rounds will be played out for consolation teams who wish to play (which I hope will be everyone). Prelims will almost certainly be swiss-paired, and while playoff format hasn't been set, it will NOT be single-elimination. The point of this tournament is to bring together great teams from all over the country, and we're going to give teams as much of a chance to play each other as possible.

Sunday: This tournament will be run on NAQT IS questions (the set will be announced as soon as NAQT gets back to me on specifics). The structure will probably be similar to the Saturday tournament. I'm hoping to secure enough timers to have timed games, but if that proves impossible we'll likely read some number of tossups per game (20-24). As with the Saturday tournament, teams will be guaranteed a high number of games.

Both of these tournaments will feature two divisions. Teams that have qualified for NAQT or PACE nationals, or finished in the top four of any tournament in the 2007-08 season, must play in Division I. Any other teams are free to play in Division II (though they may play DI). There are no restrictions on individual players as to who may play in what division or anything like that. The purpose of the divisions is to offer teams the maximum number of games against like competition.

In addition, there will be a literature tournament (singles or doubles) organized and written by Ted Gioia on Friday evening. Registration will go through Ted, and I'll let him make his own announcement.

There will also be a doubles tournament (on normal academic questions, similar to the ones played in the first main tournament) on Saturday evening following the first tournament. This tournament will be covered more extensively in a separate announcement, but will be "open," meaning players are free to form teams of two with players from any high school.

Eligibility:
This is a high school (or middle school, if there's interest) tournament; teams participating in the Saturday and Sunday main tournaments must be composed of players from the same high school (beyond that, there are no restrictions). Doubles tournament teams may attend any combination of high schools.

Cost:
Base Fee (covers both main tournaments): $200
Functional, stable buzzer system: -$10/system (must be used at both events)
Functional, stable reader: -$10 (must be used at both events).
Second team from the same school: -$25
Third+ team from the same school: -$50
Late Registration (after February 1): +$25 (please register early, we expect a field that will cause considerable logistical challenges)

This cost is higher than standard tournaments, but we believe the cost is warranted due to the high number (20+) of guaranteed games against great competition, and the fact that this event provides two tournaments in one. Essentially, we hope to offer a field and play experience comparable to nationals at about half the cost.

Directions, a schedule, and hopefully information on a package deal we will try to arrange with a local hotel(s) will be announced later on (hopefully sooner rather than later for the third).

Please email me at [email protected] to register (the sooner the better, if you're sure you're going to come). Feel free to post your interest/confirmed attendance in this thread, where I will also keep an updated field. Also please feel free to contact DACQ with any questions or comments regarding the event - we always want to hear from you.

If your team is unable to make both days but is interested in attending one of the tournaments, please email me and we'll try to work it out.

Trophies:
The trophies at this tournament will be really, really cool. Look forward to them.

Oh, if anyone is disturbed by the morbidity of our tournament subtitle, it's merely an Ides of March - Caesar assassination allusion. We absolutely do not endorse bringing weapons to this event, although awarding some scary-looking individual prizes has not been ruled out.

Hope to see you there!

Chris Ray
President, DACQ
Last edited by DumbJaques on Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Visitor information for George Mason University (Fairfax campus) can be found at http://www.gmu.edu/fairfax/ . Hotel info for those coming far away is http://www.gmu.edu/welcome/hotel.html . (If you happen to be flying in, Dulles is the closest airport followed by Reagan National.)

More info forthcoming as time creeps closer. (I just hope I didn't schedule something in conflict with OAD, but I haven't heard back.)

Unless otherwise mentioned, all national qualifications are in play. Depending on the response, we may also do a split-power field like we did last year. This is meant to be a rehearsal run for PACE Nationals. (Obviously special-themed events are not covered for nationals qualification.)

If you would like to be entertained, the Patriot Center is next door, and I believe Ringling Brothers & Barnum & Bailey is in town that weekend.

I'll also wait a bit to reserve rooms for Friday evening and Saturday evening until I get an idea of how many rooms are needed. But except for a common meeting venue, most of the classrooms have been reserved for two main 60-team events.

It's not official registration, but join the Facebook event.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey, I've come to the conclusion that the running field deserves its own post instead of a tiny spot at the bottom of the original announcement. So, here it is.

DACQ WOQ Field:

Dorman (SC) 2 teams
Georgetown Day School (DC) 2 teams
Stuyvesant (NY)
Robinson (VA)
Hunter (NY)
Maggie Walker Governor's School (VA) 2-4 teams
Walt Whitman (MD)
Wayzata (MN)
MLK Magnet (TN)
Gonzaga (DC)
Eden Prairie (MN)
Ward Melville (NY)
E.C. Glass (VA)
Thomas Jefferson (VA) 5 teams
Chattahoochee (GA) 2 teams
Wilmington Charter (DE) 1-2 teams
Saint Stephen Saint Agnes (VA)
Blake (MD)
Mercersburg Academy (PA)
Stone Bridge (VA) 2 teams
Walter Johnson (MD)
Garfield Heights (OH)
Liberal Arts and Sciences Academy (TX)
New Trier (IL)
State College (PA) some number of teams - please confirm?

I know numerous teams are committed to coming and have their hearts set on waiting until the proverbial (or in some cases, literal) last minute to register. I would encourage early registration instead for two reasons: 1) You will definitely not be charged the $25 late registration fee, and 2) The more impressive the field officially becomes early, the harder it will be for those out of town teams who are on the bubble about attending to resist the tournament, and I know we're all interested in bringing a great a field as we can to the tournament.
Last edited by DumbJaques on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

you the man chris ray
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I've been looking into the hotel situation, and it seems there are a number of good places within a few miles of the campus (Best Western, Comfort Inn, and Holiday Inn, all in Fairfax, seem like the best bets). More importantly, if for some reason your team will be staying at the hotels but won't have a car, a 50 cent bus service runs from all these locations to the GMU campus, so transportation won't be an issue.

I think we'll be going with Best Western as our group package hotel for this event (I think this will allow you to get rooms for about $95). When we have confirmation and info on this, it will appear in this thread (as well as a separate WOQ page on the DACQ website). Our field is progressing quite nicely, so send in those inquiries/registrations.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Quoted from the DACQ discussion thread (let's simplify things and make posts about this tournament in this thread):
I would love to go, but my team (along with some other NY teams) would be slightly depleted because of New York's Science Olympiad state competition. Also, my coach doesn't really like to do out of state trips, so basically we only go to LIFT and the Hills West Tournament, so that would be preventing us. I might try to muster my own team from those that are left and have one of our parents drive, like I did to go to the Yale FaCT.
You can count on us to offer any support you might be able to sue for such a venture (which team are you from, incidentally?), so feel free to drop me an email if there's anything we can do. That goes for any other interested parties as well.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Devon13
Lulu

Post by Devon13 »

I'm on the same team as Ian, and we're most definitely interested. If we can save money on hotel, even better.

As we hear more info, we'll keep in touch.

Thanks,
Devon
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

We have confirmed the use of NAQT IS-74 for this event.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

DumbJaques wrote:We have confirmed the use of NAQT IS-74 for this event.
Let's just hope it doesn't turn out to be a gawdawful piece of sh*t, a la IS-70.
Doug
Brandeis '17
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

My hope in selecting the final IS set of the year is that it will be slightly more up to standard in terms of difficulty, and perhaps there will be time to correct some of the issues of the packet used a few weeks ago, if indeed the problem is endemic to all IS sets instead of just that one.

I'd also like to note that since we're essentially running two tournaments (our division I and division II fields), this tournament is an excellent place to qualify if you have not already done so, since all those who have will be playing in division 1. Schools looking for b or c team qualifications also have a good shot at this event.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Devon13
Lulu

Post by Devon13 »

Devon13 wrote:I'm on the same team as Ian, and we're most definitely interested. If we can save money on hotel, even better.

As we hear more info, we'll keep in touch.

Thanks,
Devon
We now have 3 (if not 4) members for our squad (and some much needed chaperones). Though we still have 4 months until the ides of March, it seems Ward Melville will be attending.

I'm aware that many tournaments offer a discount for schools that travel far distances. Mapquest has us at 300+ miles away and any discount would be much appreciated as we students will be paying for all expenses out of pocket. We're glad that you are trying to get a discount on the hotel rooms, and we thank you for your organization and look forward to competing.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

So, one of the things we've been thinking about is how we'll structure prelims and playoffs to maintain our goal of having teams play the maximum number of games against like opponents they wouldn't really have a chance to play otherwise. There are a few possibilities right now (feel free to add your own, I suppose), and I'd like feedback from interested teams:

Option 1: 7 swiss-paired prelim rounds followed by rebracketing into six-team round robin brackets (top bracket, second, third, etc.) based on prelim record. Teams play a full round robin within their bracket and advance to an advantaged final if needed (that is, if teams are within a game of each other record-wise).

Pros: It gives teams full round robins in their group of six and (hopefully) enough prelim games to establish which bracket they really belong in.
Cons: This schedule takes twelve rounds pre-final, which is more than I really wanted to have. It also leaves only six teams in contention for the final after the prelims, so in a sense only six teams make the playoffs, which I'm not crazy about.

Option 2: 5 prelim games (either bracketed or swiss paired, likely the latter). Afterwards, the top 16 teams are power bracketed into groups of four based on quadrants of a 16-team playoff bracket. That is, seeds 1,8,9,16 are together, as are 2,7,10,15/3,6,11,14/4,5,12,13. Teams play full round robins within these brackets, and the winners of each breacket advance to a semi-final/final series.

Pros: 10 total rounds, not counting tiebreakers. I'm not sure if that's such a great thing, but running late would be pretty bad. Gives something of a balance between round robin, prelim, and elimination games. Again, I'm not really sure that's such a good thing, I really don't like this plan.
Cons: Not as many games, particularly not as many round robin games. Mixing round robin and games that become single elimination can cause a team with an inferior record to win the tournament on a single game, which I am not a fan of.

Option 3: A variant on option 2. Just like in option 2, five prelims and rebracketing into the brackets of four. However, there would also be a second rebracketing (winners of each bracket go into a new top bracket, etc.), and another round robin of three games. If a team clears the field by two games, they win outright. Otherwise, an advantaged final situation will go into effect.

Pros: Gives six round robin games without eliminating all but six teams from contention after just a few prelim rounds. Makes total record count and avoids problems associated with option 2.
Cons: Takes 11 rounds pre-finals. That's probably doable, but two rebracketings might be a bit hectic. Other than that I don't see any major drawbacks - this is my favorite option.

Let us know what you think, and please, if you're thinking about coming, let us know (even if it's not a formal registration). Having an idea of team attendance is something that can't happen too soon.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Option 3
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Personally, I would like as many games as possible, even if the tournament runs late. If this is the Saturday event, it would make sense since a lot of teams would probably lodge some where close to the venue. (It would be a little problematic for teams far away but not far enough to warrant getting a hotel).

I like option 1. It gives the least number of "wasted" game, i.e. the most games with like opponents. Option 3 would be good too, but I worry that games like 1v16, 1v9, 2v10, 2v15 would be more lopsided than would be desirable. (If there are at least 16 very good teams in attendance, which is possible, I guess option 3 would be the best).
On the other hand, for option 1, only the first few games in prelims would be "wasted" since after round 4 or so, swiss-pairing should match teams with similar skills, and the final round robin should also be very close.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

I'm inclined to support Option 3, as it allows teams to come to play against the best of competition, and prevents a good team from being eliminated by an early-day fluke. However, Option 1 also seems pretty good to me.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

I'd say Option 3, as it offers teams that underperform in the prelims a chance to advance to the finals. Given the field at this tournament, even 1 vs. 16 games are likely to be competitive.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

I'd prefer option 3 but am not against the other two.
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Dr. Barnes has wondered if there is any interest for a mini-workshop on question-writing. I'm not sure exactly when we would put in a didactic session, but I would be happy to have a "coaches workshop"/"social" so that we don't pull too many people away from staffing the Lit Singles (if we do this on Friday) or other events that could go on that weekend.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I'm not really sure how much time there is for another event. I don't think we have the staff to run it concurrently with the Saturday evening event, and I'm sure teams won't want to stick around late Sunday evening. Running it against lit singles is a possibility, but not one I'd really like to do since I'm not sure how many staffers we'll have. I suppose if lit singles only has like 10 interested participants we might be able to do that, but we'll have to wait and see. Maybe this would be best as our new addition for next year?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't you want around 128 teams to have 7 Swiss-paired rounds work out nicely, as in your Option 1? Given that, I like your options 2 and 3, and have considered implementing such a format for our spring tournament to provide more games since we don't do Friday night rounds as in the fall. We'll have to see how it goes for you guys and maybe follow suit.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

If you're going to have that many teams (in the 128 range or even anything considerably above 64), it seems like you might want to minimize the number of times you would have to rebracket. The mere process of rounding everyone up and compiling stats in an accurate way is bound to take probably 30-45 minutes each time you do it. You may be able to get away with doing the first one over lunch, though.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

vandyhawk wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't you want around 128 teams to have 7 Swiss-paired rounds work out nicely, as in your Option 1? Given that, I like your options 2 and 3, and have considered implementing such a format for our spring tournament to provide more games since we don't do Friday night rounds as in the fall. We'll have to see how it goes for you guys and maybe follow suit.
Somehow, I think that this tournament will have a small but excellent-quality field. 128 teams seems unlikely to me.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Somehow, I think that this tournament will have a small but excellent-quality field. 128 teams seems unlikely to me.
I will be thoroughly horrified if I have to find readers for 128 teams. Jeez. However, I don't expect the field to be small - I anticipate around 64 total. The division II field in particular is drawing a lot of interest from local teams since it enables national qualification out of a field that only allows non-qualified teams. A lot of B/C team interest has also been shown for that division. Since there are already about 15 teams signed up for Division I, with absences including a few teams I'm certain will sign up, it's possible the DI field will be limited to 20-25, but hopefully the DII tournament will boast at least that many. I'll take this opportunity to again remind coaches that the WoQ DII tournament is a great way to qualify a second or third team for nationals, and we offer discounts for those teams.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

By "small", I meant "small relative to 128"
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

SwissBoy wrote:
vandyhawk wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't you want around 128 teams to have 7 Swiss-paired rounds work out nicely, as in your Option 1? Given that, I like your options 2 and 3, and have considered implementing such a format for our spring tournament to provide more games since we don't do Friday night rounds as in the fall. We'll have to see how it goes for you guys and maybe follow suit.
That was my point in saying that 7 Swiss paired rounds wouldn't work out too well.
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

i will be there. chris i expect a limo.
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
kpillai
Lulu

Post by kpillai »

what's the field now? If there's still room TJ would like to sign up, for an undisclosed number of teams (as of now).

EDIT: Also Option 3.
Keshav Pillai
TJ '08, Vanderbilt '12
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Yeah, we're nowhere near our cap (right now I think it's 64?), but if it ends up looking like more than that we need to know because of rooms/readers. Hence, my repeated encouragement to sign up. We'd love as many TJ teams as you'd like to send, so as soon as you get an idea of what kind of number you guys are leaning towards (1-2, 3-4, 5+, whatever), let me know.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

DumbJaques wrote:Yeah, we're nowhere near our cap (right now I think it's 64?), but if it ends up looking like more than that we need to know because of rooms/readers. Hence, my repeated encouragement to sign up. We'd love as many TJ teams as you'd like to send, so as soon as you get an idea of what kind of number you guys are leaning towards (1-2, 3-4, 5+, whatever), let me know.
I'm guessing Maggie Walker might bring 2-4.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Chris,
It's also December. I don't even think we've really hit the teams in the local northern Virginia area because they're not on this list. Hopefully that would change, but it is December. Few people think about registering until January or February.

That said, I think we have to make fliers to send out with registration info.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Chris, Chattahoochee will plan on bringing 1-2 teams up as well. Please pencil us in. Thanks.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Chris, Chattahoochee will plan on bringing 1-2 teams up as well. Please pencil us in. Thanks.
Done. I'm definitely looking forward to having you guys. With you guys, the Dorman squads, and MLK, I'm glad to get such a strong (and decently sized) contingent from the south. I'm hopeful a few of the other strong GA/SC teams will consider coming up as well, though I know it's not a cheap trip.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

New Trier is still very interested; we're working out some logistical issues at the moment.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Outstanding - I'd all but written you guys off given the stuff you had going on in close proximity to those dates. If there's anything I can do to help you guys work out accommodations, transportation, schedueling, etc., let me know.

On a similar note, to everyone: A few out of town teams are ending up needing to get hotel rooms for some combination of people such that they have spaces available in some of the rooms (one or two people left over in a room, a person alone in a room for gender reasons, etc.). If you fit this bill and are interested in partnering up with another team in a matching situation, feel free to email me sometime around late December (please know the specifics of your situation). I'm not sure how practical it'll end up being, but if we can save you some money by putting you in touch with each other, we'd like to.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

We're also probably coming, w/1-2 teams.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Thanks to the students and staff at the GMU Freshman Center, I have a small brochure (PDF format) with a list of restaurants around the Fairfax campus. If you would like this brochure, please let me know.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

You don't need 128 teams for a 7-round swiss paring bracket, but it would be optimal. You'd just have a couple of cases in which teams play each other with a one-game differential. I know that TJ is doing a seven-round card system with 48 teams.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

We're a month away from the late registration deadline, and there are about 15 teams who have committed to me verbally but haven't actually signed up. Please register asap so we can get an idea on readers and logistics. If you register late and do well, my dog might eat your trophy. Also, check out our field update.

An important note: If your team hasn't sent me an email stating how many teams, buzzers, and readers your bringing, you aren't officially registered (you will receive a very special invoice when you've registered officially). Notably, any team that is not Dorman has not had their registration finalized. . . so yeah, email me.

Also, to teams that have expressed some interest (including Kellenberg, Seton Hall, Centennial, Hammond, PH and the Baltimore contingent, Midwest teams, and others): I'd like to hear from you, even if you plan on not coming, or what I can do to convince you/help you out if you're on the fence.

And if you're interested in the doubles event, get registering for that too.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Shantanu will win triple crown over the weekend. I think Dorman will be able to take him down in one event (NAQT or Lit). I honestly can't imagine his losing on college questions, however.

Also I don't know if I actually sent you an e-mail or not but WJ would like to register a team.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Any chance of using the NAQT College Sectionals set on Sunday instead of 74? I suspect there would be a few less buzzer races.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Chris, I told you GH will be coming, but you were waiting to send me an invoice based on what you do for the NAQT set... I'm just saying so because you haven't listed us on the field list.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
closesesame
Wakka

Post by closesesame »

aestheteboy wrote:Shantanu will win triple crown over the weekend.
Someone must believe Shantanu is a thoroughbred horse...
Naren Tallapragada
TJHSST '09
MIT '13
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Chris, I told you GH will be coming, but you were waiting to send me an invoice based on what you do for the NAQT set... I'm just saying so because you haven't listed us on the field list.
Yeah, sorry, you're added. If anyone else is coming and not on the list please let me know (and everyone else needs to send me official registrations. . . rarrrgh). I could have sworn I posted multiple replies in this thread right before hsqb went down, but whatever.
Any chance of using the NAQT College Sectionals set on Sunday instead of 74? I suspect there would be a few less buzzer races.
I responded to NAQT's offer over a week ago and have yet to hear back. I'd like to use Div II as I think it would simplify things for a number of teams and perhaps encourage some different teams to attend. I'll update as soon as I have information.

EDIT:

Ok, we are definitely using Division II SCT for this event, rather than IS-74.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

New Trier will be attending.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

DumbJaques wrote: EDIT:

Sucks for UVA...
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:
DumbJaques wrote: EDIT:

Sucks for UVA...
From what I understand, the tournament was canceled before we announced this anyway.

If your team still has a range of numbers (and your teams rhyme with Shmomas Shmefferson, Shmovernor's, Shmilmington Shmarter, and Shmattahoochee), please confirm the number for me. For everyone else who hasn't done so, let me know how many buzzers/readers you're bringing.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Since there's so much complaint about the SCT set (from what I've seen at the college section), I have a proposal: why not throw away all the bad questions (and/or, even, adjust the distribution . . .) and use less sets but with better questions? I think this would infringe the official NAQT rule, but the teams playing in the qualified bracket probably qualified for nationals anyway. You could use the official set for the non-qualified bracket so that those teams have the chance to qualify.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Ok, since we're less than a month out, I'm distributing the field into Division I and Division II groups. If your team is in the wrong group, let me know ASAP.

Also, if you haven't registered, please do so. I'm liable to close registration pretty soon, so please contact me even if you don't have all the details.

Division I:
Dorman A
Dorman B
GDS A
Stuyvesant
Hunter
Maggie Walker A
Maggie Walker B
Whitman
MLK Magnet
Gonzaga
TJ A
TJ B
Chattahoochee A
Wilmington Charter A
Walter Johnson
Garfield Heights
LASA
New Trier
James Island
St. Anselm's
Seton Hall A
Whitman B

Division II
Ward Melville
E.C. Glass
TJ C
TJ D
TJ E
Chattahoochee B
Saint Stephen Saint Agnes
Blake
Mercersburg Academy
Stone Bridge A
Stone Bridge B
L.O.T. Academy
Centennial
Seton Hall B Sat
Seton Hall C Sat
Howard
Robinson

Right now we have 24 teams in Division I and 16 or 17 in Division II, depending on Seton Hall C's presence. I think we'll cap the field at 26 for Division I and 20 for Division II. If you'd like to add a B or C or D or E or F team, there are plenty of Division II spaces free.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

It's not likely that I'll have the same students (or even the same number of students) available on each day. Is it possible to enter the events separately? If not, would it be allowable to realign teams between the two days?
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

That's perfectly fine. It doesn't matter unless anyone is ineligible for DI , in which case it's fine but I just need to know so we can put you in the right division. Just enter normally and don't worry about it, basically.

Oh, one more thing: If you insist on using Pseudonyms for this tournament I'm also going to need your real names. if you screw up the stats a la TJ at HSNCT 2 years ago and create freak stats I will find you.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE