RESULTS: High IQ Bowl (2/16/2008) (Greensboro, NC)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
pakman044
Rikku

RESULTS: High IQ Bowl (2/16/2008) (Greensboro, NC)

Post by pakman044 »

Last Saturday, the 2008 High IQ Bowl was held at Grimsley High School in Greensboro, NC. The competition format is a bifurcated format, with all teams playing a qualifying round in seperate rooms of 80 tossup/bonus questions. The eight highest scoring teams advanced to a head-to-head single-elimination playoff.

The results are available at http://www.patrickking.com/ncata/2008results/highiq/

Playoff results:

Quarterfinals
1. Grimsley (892) d. 8. Page (698), 212-39
5. Walter Williams (785) d. 4. Jordan (821), 150-76
2. Western Guilford (839) d. 7. Northwest Guilford (750), 116-37
3. Early College at Guilford (823) d. 6. Greensboro Day (783), 142-58

Semifinals
Grimsley d. Walter Williams, 160-119
Early College at Guilford d. Western Guilford, 160-119

Final
Grimsley d. Early College at Guilford, 167-115

Patrick King
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Can someone explain to me how the scoring works in this thing?
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

DrakeRQB wrote:Can someone explain to me how the scoring works in this thing?
Well it's been 5 years now since I played at this competition, but I remember SOME of the details. Most of the details are available in the rules handbook they mail out to registerring teams though.

If you go back in time a little bit, you might remember that High IQ Bowl used to be televised by WGHP-8 in High Point, perhaps as recently as 2001, so much of the format is still reminiscent of the TV legacy.

In the morning, each team plays a preliminary round. There's only one team per room, no buzzers (but you still have to race your hand to answer a tossup, and can't confer on tossups). There are 80 tossup questions that are read, one at a time in an untimed format. If the team playing alone gets it right, they get a bonus (a bonus that allows conferring as is typical). If they get it wrong, the next tossup is read.

After all the preliminary rounds are complete, the 8 teams that scored the highest advance to the afternoon single elimination playoff. The playoff games are played in 2 timed halves, with buzzers, in tossup/bonus format.

So what about the scoring? I don't remember that anymore. In the results in the initial post though, the numbers in parentheses are the preliminary round totals, and the scores at the end of the line are the actual game scores. When you go through 80 tossups, you'll certainly rack up a LOT more points than a regular game of course!

In addition, there are quite a few quirks to the format that I remember (and a few they've relaxed on). Each team has to bring an "attestor" who is a scorekeeper for another team in a preliminary round (and recently, each team has been required to bring a preliminary round moderator too).

Originally, everyone on the team (including the attestor) HAD to be seniors WITH NO EXCEPTIONS. A couple years ago they relaxed the attestor rule to allow juniors, and now allow up to 2 juniors. In addition, the competition used to only allow North Carolina teams; now Virginia teams are allowed. But residential schools are still forbidden from competing (you'll never see NCSSM or St. Mary's there for that reason).

Patrick King
bdavery
Lulu

High-IQ scoring

Post by bdavery »

Tossups are 10 points each; bonuses are 1 or 2 parts, worth even numbers from 12 to 18 points, based on difficulty. (I wrote 60% of the questions this year after several years of writing the current events/pop culture category only, so I know that much; as far as rules/procedures onsite, I defer to others.)
Bryce Avery
President, Avery Enterprises
http://www.averyenterprises.net/blog
rchschem
Yuna

Re: RESULTS: High IQ Bowl (2/16/2008) (Greensboro, NC)

Post by rchschem »

bdavery wrote:Tossups are 10 points each; bonuses are 1 or 2 parts, worth even numbers from 12 to 18 points, based on difficulty.
I never liked this part--one team's difficulty is another's strength, and some question writer assigning "difficulty" is completely arbitrary. Yes, it's possible to get a bunch of QB people in a room and get them to generally agree on difficulty (and that's often a very soft "generally agree"), but that doesn't mean that what's generally more difficult will necessarily be. Just score the bonuses all equally and let player ability sort it out. A good team will win without the bonuses of being better at answering more difficult questions, just because better necessarily means they will be better at answering more difficult questions.

Eric
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
bdavery
Lulu

Post by bdavery »

I could live with making bonuses all the same value (say, 15 each). I don't know if the organizers adjusted my point levels, but since there are only 4 bonus levels and bonuses are 1 or 2 parts only, establishing a fairly clear cutoff is pretty easy. Most disagreements in a knowledgeable committee would be between one level and the next one above it (as opposed to, say, someone thinking a 12-point question should be worth 18).
Bryce Avery
President, Avery Enterprises
http://www.averyenterprises.net/blog
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Why is it that you don't see many of these teams at local NC tournaments? I've seen Greensboro Day, but none of the other teams ring a bell.

It's like our QUEST, where us (James Island), Academic Magnet, Stratford, and Goose Creek are the only teams that compete outside of that meet.
Joe
James Island '10
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

Walter Williams and, I think, Page used to be fairly active back in the early '00s; I don't know why they've dropped off recently.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Early College of Guilford is a new joint, and they definitely have class as they are coming to the RTO. :) I haven't seen WW at an event since a Tar Heel Cup a few years ago. I can't say why so few teams from the Triad area seem to be interested in our types of events (more typical quiz bowl). Raleigh Charter hasn't been to a Hi-IQ in forever because we hadn't had 4 seniors at once. Maybe now that the senior thing is listed we can do it.
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

scquizbowl wrote:Why is it that you don't see many of these teams at local NC tournaments? I've seen Greensboro Day, but none of the other teams ring a bell.

It's like our QUEST, where us (James Island), Academic Magnet, Stratford, and Goose Creek are the only teams that compete outside of that meet.
Many of these teams are local Forsyth/Guilford County teams that come out for just High IQ Bowl, although with some persuasion, you can get them to come to one or two other competitions, and sometimes they just prefer to go to competitions they've had good experiences with.

I've seen Walter Williams at Tar Heel Cup in previous years (my stats archive shows they were there in '06). They also do National Science Bowl, and they were at last Saturday's National Ocean Sciences Bowl regional in Morehead City. They were at Red & White Bowl in '06 as well.

Page doesn't really come out for much that I know of, but my glance at last weekend's Greensboro Science Olympiad regional shows they were there.

Jordan-Matthews has come up for stuff now and then; they've been to a few High School Celebrity Shoots.

Even though there's still a group of teams that are becoming more "regular" at tournaments in NC, there are still a lot of schools that are regionally isolated. Figuring out who was actually at the Onslow County Rotary Challenge last weekend would probably yield another group of teams that we don't see very often either.

Patrick King