Florida tournaments

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
hardeecoach
Lulu

Florida tournaments

Post by hardeecoach »

Help! Tournaments in Florida seem to be in utter chaos. Rickards has cancelled-- will it reschedule? Exactly what date has the Southfork tournament been changed to? When is the UF tournament- officially? Are there any more tourneys out there (besides St.Leo on Feb. 15th) that are scheduled before the CAC in April?

I have registered and unregistered for buses, field trip forms have been completed and withdrawn, hotel rooms have been reserved and cancelled. It makes it really difficult to plan, especially when our school system wants funds requested as much as two to three weeks in advance.

Is there anybody out there that can post some of this info in a coherent form?
tomburr
Lulu

Post by tomburr »

We are waiting on official word from the University of Florida tournament to figure out what is going on. We really were trying to have a good tournament after UF Spring and before CAC, but the interest still doesn't seem to be there. (besides you all)
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

I found this message on the UF College Bowl forum; it was posted on the 12th (of February, that is). I have no idea whether it's accurate. ...

"As of now, we are planning to hold the tournament on the 22nd of March. We wished to do the 1st, but there were too many other events going on here that took precedence over us and prevented us from getting enough rooms. The 8th and 15th are impossible dates due to our Spring Break. In the next few days, I will consider the possibility of the 29th because I have heard that South Fork is doing a tournament on the 22nd. I will post some updates as they become relevant.

---Justin Byrd

Tournament Director"
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05
hardeecoach
Lulu

Post by hardeecoach »

I think that once all the dates settle in, we can get enough teams up to make Southfork a viable tournament. If we are waiting on UF to set their date, as soon as they do, I'll help pass the word if you would like! USF Collge Bowl is hosting a tournament for College teams AFTER CAC that we will probably attend, but we would like to get in as much practice through competion as we can before State.
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

FSU has expressed interest in holding a tournament, and is currently asking for open dates.

Honestly, I would really really not like for the UF tournament to be on the 29th. It is the state tournament, and most of the pan handle teams would not attend due to spring break. In addition, it is the same date as the UF Math Invitational. That'll affect total attendance, rather than significant attendance.

I've been asking around, and I don't think that any of the Tallahassee teams are all that interested in taking a bus down to south fork, namely because we're all pretty broke. Largely due to the canceling of our tournaments. It isn't looking too great.

March 15th is an impossible date for the Panhandle teams because of our county tournament.

March 1st is now an open date.

March 8th is currently an open date, technically, though I don't quite remember what the conflicts with it were.. there may have been personal conflicts with it, so it is probably an open date. Rickards would not attend with full teams.

I do not believe the Rickards tournament will be able to reschedule, to be perfectly honest. The state of affairs of our organization isn't so hot. I am not entirely sure that they will be able to handle having a single tournament in the following years.

So essentially we have run across the same problem. Not enough teams are interested in traveling 7 hours to south florida. There are a plethora of tournaments available, but not enough teams interested in doing them. Also, the recent problem of the UF tournament not having the ability to get the rooms they need to have a tournament. I honestly don't believe it is the college bowl organization's fault to a large degree.

What weekends do we have left to have a tournament... there is the

choctaw tournament on the 23rd,
no tournament on the 1st,
no tournament on the 8th,
march leon county tournament on the 14th-15th,
march 22nd with south fork and UF,
march 29th with possibly the UF tournament,
april 5th is open,
april 10th-12th is the state tournament,
and then nothing HS level?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Just wondering since I know many other people read this board... we have these PACE sets from Bykowski and Weiner that are circulating. Have we gotten a set down to Florida? Would anyone (cough Valencia cough FSU cough UF cough) be interested in running at least one of those sets?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

They were used at the Gulf Coast tournament in Pensacola on the 2nd.

It was a pretty good set, I have to say.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

There's a second set that Matt Weiner is writing that will be available later in the year for use wherever.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
bjorkchop
Lulu

Re: Florida tournaments

Post by bjorkchop »

If it's between Easter weekend (March 22) or the beginning of many high schools' spring breaks (March 29) -- my team and I would prefer the latter.

Or to lobby for another option -- what about mid-April? Because of breaks and chaperoning issues that others have mentioned, I would rather wait until the weekend of April 19 -- after CAC (which Miami-Dade can't even field a team to) -- which would allow adequate time for the hosts and any interested teams to their logistics squared-away.

Steve Frappier
Advisor, Ransom Everglades School
Steve Frappier (he/him)
The Westminster Schools (GA), 2015-
Ransom Everglades School (FL), 2006-15 | 2014 Florida NASAT coach
WUSTL, 1996-2006
"This is not ... the salad ... of my people!" -M. Cho, Revolution
tomburr
Lulu

Post by tomburr »

Well, the problem with that is that some teams have already gone through the process of requesting date changes on forms and whatnot from their school boards for the 22nd. After hearing that it is "most certainly" going to be on that date, I would be very disappointed were it to change again.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Did the NAQT state qualifier happen in Florida?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I'm pretty sure it's on March 29th at UF
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
tomburr
Lulu

Post by tomburr »

Yeah, a message on the UF quizbowl forum places the date at the 29th. After making 3 school board reservations now, it better not change again.

The South Fork Tournament will be canceled due to a lack of interest.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Thanks guys. I didn't see any results posted yet, so I wanted to make sure that my info was correct - aaaaaaaaaand of course it wasn't.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
hardeecoach
Lulu

Post by hardeecoach »

Honestly, I think we could have gotten enough teams up for a Southfork tournament if we had gotten UF to settle on a date sooner! Please don't give up on the idea... even if you can't work it out for spring, plan one for the fall. If you host it, they will come.
Peggy Saddler
Coach, Hardee Senior High
Wauchula, Florida
tomburr
Lulu

Post by tomburr »

Any news on the statistics/full results?

Ransom beat us (South Fork) in a pretty intense match to win the whole thing, with Eastside "C" (more about that later) and Pensacola playing off for third.
m00s3l0v3r
Kimahri

Post by m00s3l0v3r »

Eastside C? It is surprising that a "C" team did so well..
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

Was anyone else pretty disappointed with that NAQT set? I have a feeling some of that had to do with a little bit of UF editing, but I could be wrong. I would be pretty interested in having a different set at the FSU tounament.
Saiem Gilani
Florida State '12, '1X
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

tomburr wrote:Any news on the statistics/full results?
Yes - any news?
Fred Morlan
tomburr
Lulu

Post by tomburr »

The pairwise results are on naqt under "Florida State"

http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=2415