Pirates v. Ninjas I : DACQ Weekend of Quizbowl Open Doubles

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Pirates v. Ninjas I : DACQ Weekend of Quizbowl Open Doubles

Post by DumbJaques »

This is the official tournament announcement for the Saturday evening event mentioned in the DACQ Weekend of Quizbowl Goodness thread. In order to justify my recent weaponry purchases as business expenses, this tournament has been christened "Pirates v. Ninjas" and appropriate prizes will be distributed.

As mentioned, this tournament will take place following the first tournament of the WOQ on Saturday. It will almost certainly take place in the same general area at George Mason that the main tournaments will take place, and will probably begin very shortly after the first tournament's conclusion. We will make every effort to finish the Saturday tournament early, so that we can finish this event as soon as possible. We're hopeful this tournament won't run that late, and hope is a beautiful thing.

Eligibility: This is an open tournament in the sense that players needn't attend the same high school; players must still attend a high school. However, if some coaches want to hop in and play in a separate bracket and we have the staff for it, we can always do that too. Of course, teams can be composed of players from the same school, but that definitely isn't a requirement. Players can also play solo if they so desire.

If you would like to play with someone not from your team but don't know anyone in particular, you can email me and register as a free agent. When you do so, please specify the areas you're best/worst at and I'll try to pair you accordingly.

Format: Games will likely be played on sets of 20 tossups (definitely no bonuses, but depending on the field that number might go up or down slightly). The questions will, barring any problems, come from the University of Maryland/University of Michigan college tournament that runs in January. While this set might be discussed on the board, it isn't being posted/sent to anyone who might play at this tournament before March 15, so I'll just be taking out any tossups that are discussed before then. Security should not be an issue.

Since I have no idea what the field will look like, I will hold off on announcing a structure for the tournament. It could be anything from round robin to pick a number, win the tournament. You'll just have to wait and see.

Cost: A flat rate of $15/person will be assessed for the event. We'll get you as many games as is really possible before people refuse to stay any later.

Email me at [email protected] to register. When we near the date I'll post a field update.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
rchschem
Yuna

Re: Pirates v. Ninjas I : DACQ Weekend of Quizbowl Open Doub

Post by rchschem »

DumbJaques wrote: "Pirates v. Ninjas"
Hee-hee.

Eric
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

An update about Sunday's event: We're trying to get IS-74. In addition to getting IS-74, we're hoping Solon can switch sets for their tournament. Please be aware of which set we're using if you're planning on attending. I'll keep things updated as we progress. Thanks for the teams who have registered so early - it really helps us out logistically.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

So it's just over two months until tournament time and, despite the fact that I personally know like 15 people who are going to do this, I have zero registrations. Please register to me. If you've got a teammate, one registration for both of you is fine. If you don't have a teammate and would like to enter our matching pool, send me your information as well as two subjects (in order) that you consider yourself to be well-versed in as well as two (in order) which dominate you, and we'll do our best to match you with a good partner. If I don't know you and you want to put something in about your style (speed buzz:power ratio, accuracy, ability to annoy people), feel free. But register.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Since I'm too lazy to write an e-mail: please register me and michael w. (unless he changed his mind, in which case he should tell you).

Also, are the questions going to be MLK/TIT? I think some hs kids (gonzaga and whitman?) are playing, but I guess that's their loss.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

About that...

If someone from that high school team playing at TIT can actually confirm with me they're playing, that would be most appreciated.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

I'll definitely be playing; whether or not I'll have a partner or need one is as yet unknown.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I am investigating other (and probably more appropriate) questions. Specifically, I'd probably like to use the Minnesota UG tournament set, so I'm trying to get a hold of Andrew.

Also, depending on attendance at this event, I'm heavily considering opening it up to coaches. If people have opinions on this (and if there are coaches out there who would want to play, particularly), shoot me an email.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

DumbJaques wrote:I am investigating other (and probably more appropriate) questions. Specifically, I'd probably like to use the Minnesota UG tournament set, so I'm trying to get a hold of Andrew.
Keep in mind that if you do this, you'll have to find moderators who are not collegiate players, as we will be running this set at VCU on (probably) March 29. Also, since Minnesota is running on March 29, I would be quite surprised if the set were available on March 14.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Yeah, I sort of just realized that noted person me would like to participate at that tournament. Hmm.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
catsasslippers
Lulu

Post by catsasslippers »

I'm also very lazy but Douglas Y. and I (Nina C.) would like to play as a team.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Ok, here's the venerable running field update. I tried to make up funny names for your teams but they were either too offensive or not offensive enough. So instead, you will be named after various figures I admire from Chinese history:
Cao Cao's Machiavellian Jerks:: Nina Charap and Doug Yetman
Prince Ai of Qi's Lecherous Usurpers: Henry Gorman (Wilmington Charter) and Ian Eppler (Georgetown Day School)
Sima Qian's Castrated Historians : Daichi Ueda (Walter Johnson) and Cody Simons (MLK)
Sima Guang's Non-Castrated Historians: Shantanu Jha (Walt Whitman) and Adam Marshall (Walt Whitman)
Shen Kua's Inventions that Never Work: Quint Carr (Maggie Walker) and Dan Puma (Gonzaga)
Liu Che's Hilariously Inaccurate Census Takers: Albert Bayer (Liberal Arts and Sciences Academy) and Cyrus Bordbar (LASA)
Kang Youwei's Hopeless Idealists: Prashant Raghavendran (LASA) and Navonil Ghosh (LASA)
Duke of Zhou's Laughably Unappreciated Efforts: Dan Humphrey (Garfield) and Guy Tabachnik (Hunter)
Ma Su's Poorly Chosen Bathroom Breaks: Robert Sidol (New Trier) and Ben Cohen (New Trier)
Huaiyi's Scorned Arsonist Lovers: Keshav Pillai (TJ) and Phil Graves (TJ)
Tai Shan's Violent Birth Collisions: Mohit Iyyer (TJ) and Felix Zhang (TJ)
Zheng He's 7-Foot Tall Eunuchs: Bali Gupta (TJ) and Raza Mir (TJ)
Gun's Terrible Flood Controllers: Will Sido (New Trier) and Sam Solomon (New Trier)
Liu An's Intoxicated Geographers: Dallas Simons (MLK) and Naren Tallepragada (TJ)
Dan of Yan's Publicly-Drawn Secret Assassination Plans: Tom Smilack (TJ) and Brian Terrill (TJ)
Zhu Yuanzhang's Flamboyant Headgear: Graham Lobel (TJ) and Alex Deluca (TJ)
Wendi's Monogamous Civil Reformers: Joe Wells (Garfield) and Nathan Jose (LOT Academy)
Yuan Shikai's Beiyang Army: Matt Jones (GDS) and Philip Gasperetti (GDS)
Yuan Shikai's Beiyang Air Force (just pigeons): Alex Nutman (GDS) and Gary Willis (Stone Bridge)
Shang Tsung's Mortal Kombatters: Tyler Smith (LASA) and Greg Tito (Maggie Walker)

Stand-by teams:
Mehdi (Penn) and Jesus (Liberty U)
Andrew (Stanford) and Albert (Princeton)
Last edited by DumbJaques on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

If you don't name a team "Ma Su's Mountaintop Campers" I'll be sad.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

wow...why do we have to be the inventions that never work. thanks...

EDIT: Mitu and i are a single entity
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

Will free agents be assigned teams once a good match is found or will those teams be created closer to WoQ time?
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I'm going to wait about a month to give the field time to grow and to let people pair up on their own if they want.

Also, I'm officially opening this event to coaches, since some of you will be there anyway. Note that this is coaches (or parents, I suppose), not necessarily "whoever chaperons." In particular, this really just means that if you currently or very recently played college quizbowl you cannot play in this tournament even a little bit.

Brian Jamieson can play this tournament for -$10.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Bump for field update. If you're playing, let me know.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

strifeheart wrote:If you don't name a team "Ma Su's Mountaintop Campers" I'll be sad.
:sad:
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Jonah Greenthal and Ben Cohen from New Trier would like to be a team.
Diet Chuck
Lulu

Post by Diet Chuck »

Yo TJ has some pairs finalized with more coming later

As of now:

Keshav "Muttiah Muralitharan" Pillai with Phil "I want to have kids with the Empress Theodora" Graves

Mohit "Brown Mamba" Iyyer with Felix "Ling Ling the Panda" Zhang (stop eating the bamboo furniture)

Bali "Bambale Mbulatale Emmanuel Osby" Gupta with Raza "Aloo McTikki" Mir
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Diet Chuck wrote:Yo TJ has some pairs finalized with more coming later

As of now:

Keshav "Muttiah Muralitharan" Pillai with Phil "I want to have kids with the Empress Theodora" Graves

Mohit "Brown Mamba" Iyyer with Felix "Ling Ling the Panda" Zhang (stop eating the bamboo furniture)

Bali "Bambale Mbulatale Emmanuel Osby" Gupta with Raza "Aloo McTikki" Mir
Awesome.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

DumbJaques wrote:Ma Su's Poorly Chosen Bathroom Breaks
:grin:
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
closesesame
Wakka

Post by closesesame »

Alrighty, so here's another for you:

Naren "is on Jeopardy! tomorrow" Tallapragada (TJ) and Dallas "was actually born in Houston, wtf?" Simons (MLK)
Naren Tallapragada
TJHSST '09
MIT '13
Diet Chuck
Lulu

Post by Diet Chuck »

Some more kids from TJ would like to sign up:

Jacob "stoppin' traffic" Kohn and Josh "Grandmaster Gimchee" Hahm
Tom "those things on my head ain't snakes" Smilack and Brian "watch out for my musical saw" Terrill
GraHAM "Lobel Laureate" Lobel and Alex "wurr my ds at" Deluca
smilack
Kimahri

Post by smilack »

What Mohit meant to say was:

Tom "Internet Jesus" Smilack and Brian "Xanatos" Terrill
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Ok, so we're less than a month away and I'm going to announce a 30-team cap. We're pushing 20 now so if you want to play, let me know ASAP. If we hit 30 and your name hasn't been added as a team or a free agent, you should be very sad indeed.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

Chris, I sent you a facebook message registering my team, Joe "Vanilla Thunder" Wells, and Jack "White Lightning" Wells.
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

Chris, I emailed you with another team from GDS. Just in case you didn't get it, the players are Matt Jackson and Phillip Gasperetti, both from GDS.
First Chairman
Auron

Mason alert thread

Post by First Chairman »

Recent incidents on college campuses have resulted in the creation of multiple alert systems to notify students about any emergency situations. (As I type this, the entire DC area goes on weather alert.)

To allay any fears that could come up with students, parents, or faculty, I encourage all attendees for the weekend of quiz bowl events in March or May/June to register with the Mason Alerts system: https://alert.gmu.edu/register.php . Please elect to receive notifications in the "Campus Visitor" group.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
closesesame
Wakka

Re: Pirates v. Ninjas I : DACQ Weekend of Quizbowl Open Doubles

Post by closesesame »

The name's Tallapragada, not Tallepragada. You spell it just like you say it.

I'm trying to avoid doing homework (by perusing the hsqb forums, of course), so what better way to do that than to complain about an all-too-common misspelling of your surname?
Naren Tallapragada
TJHSST '09
MIT '13
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Since my partner surreptitiously decided to leave me, I am looking for a new partner. If anyone's willing to play with me please e-mail (izumickk at hotmail.com), IM (aestheteboy), or facebook (Daichi Ueda) me. Thanks.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Our field has no been set at 20 teams. If new teams want to join, we will probably be requiring at least 2 full teams at a time. Here's the general plan:

Four prelims, played in four brackets of five. The top 16 teams will advance to a single-elimination playoff, with people invited to play for final placement in consolation. The four teams that don't make the playoffs will be welcome to stay and scrimmage, and possibly to jump back into the consolation playoffs is someone else gets tired and goes home. The finals and the semi-finals will probably be played as 40-tossup games, while all other games will be 20 tossups.

We will be starting at a time announced during the day Saturday. I sincerely hope it will be by 8:30, and since tossup-only games should go quickly, I don't imagine this taking more than a few hours. But I would make sure you can stay kind of lateish.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

My brother Jack dropped and is being replaced by Nathan Jose.
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

Can Daichi, Puma, and I be a team? Thanks, cause I know you will say yes
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

wowitsquinthaha wrote:Can Daichi, Puma, and I be a team? Thanks, cause I know you will say yes
yah same for meee, andrew yaphe, and matt weiner
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
fzhang
Lulu

Post by fzhang »

Jacob Kohn and Joshua Hahm from TJ can no longer play, because of conflicting plans. Sorry.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Again, a reminder for the questions... if you want me to copy them, it might be a bit tough to do it, but I can try if you email them to me tonight. I'll try to get them to the printers by 1pm so I can pick all the q's up Friday on time... Otherwise you'll have to pay your own way with the Kinko's on Main Street, Fairfax.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
fzhang
Lulu

Post by fzhang »

We'd also like to replace the duo we dropped with another pair:
Siddharth Hariharan (TJ) and Peter Lee (TJ)