DACQ Weekend of Quizbowl Goodness: BYO Dagger (3/15/08) @GMU

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

DumbJaques wrote:Ok, since we're less than a month out, I'm distributing the field into Division I and Division II groups. If your team is in the wrong group, let me know ASAP.

If your team has a variable number, please get back to me to confirm (Governor's School, Charter). I think we'll cap the field at 26 for Division I and 20 for Division II.
If national qualification determines division, Gov B has qualified for PACE but not NAQT.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
GameTheory
Lulu

Post by GameTheory »

TJ B is Div I.
First Chairman
Auron

Mason Alert system

Post by First Chairman »

Recent incidents on college campuses have resulted in the creation of multiple alert systems to notify students about any emergency situations. (As I type this, the entire DC area goes on weather alert.)

To allay any fears that could come up with students, parents, or faculty, I encourage all attendees for the weekend of quiz bowl events in March or May/June to register with the Mason Alerts system: https://alert.gmu.edu/register.php . Please elect to receive notifications in the "Campus Visitor" group.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
GameTheory
Lulu

Re: DACQ Weekend of Quizbowl Goodness: BYO Dagger (3/15/08) @GMU

Post by GameTheory »

I don't know if my first post showed...but is Saturday's tournament a PACE Qualifier for Div II?
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Both divisions of both days will each function separately for qualification purposes, I believe.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

PACE qualification can be earned with qualifying performances for either Saturday or Sunday team play, but each event counts separately (if Generic High School A wins both events, they canNOT claim an automatic spot for Generic B unless Generic B makes the top 4 on either day). Div II final four get automatic bids to the NSC, as would Div I (if they did not already earn those bids).

NAQT qualification can only be earned on the NAQT set. I presume both divisions' top 15% earn automatic bids.

Of course, I guess if you wind up qualifying in Div II on Saturday, ideally we'd move you up to Div I on Sunday... but we'll let you all discuss that. Since we don't have as many teams in the D2 group, that might be a logistical issue, especially if we are talking about switching out rosters. (Rosters?)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

To clarify the ambiguity next to our line, Wilmington Charter is bringing 1 team.
flylikeaneagle
Lulu

Post by flylikeaneagle »

If this isn't too late, Centennial is planning on coming. We will confirm by March 4th. We will be playing Division II and we can bring as many as 6 buzzers. But, we will have to confirm from our treasurer.
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Seton Hall Prep would like to bring one Division-1 team and one or two Division-2 teams. I will follow-up with an e-mail tomorrow.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

If this isn't too late, Centennial is planning on coming. We will confirm by March 4th. We will be playing Division II and we can bring as many as 6 buzzers. But, we will have to confirm from our treasurer.
It's never too late. Seriously, to everyone, we have more than enough room so if you want to come/add another team, please feel encouraged to do so. Also, bringing 6 working buzzers would rule.
Seton Hall Prep would like to bring one Division-1 team and one or two Division-2 teams. I will follow-up with an e-mail tomorrow.
The more, the merrier. Are any of the other NY/NJ teams (Kellenberg, Bergen, Bloomfield, etc.) interested in joining us?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

As the cap of a Div II team, I think that switching teams up on Sunday would present some logistical issues if nothing else... besides, we registered Div II for a reason. >_>
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

As the cap of a Div II team, I think that switching teams up on Sunday would present some logistical issues if nothing else... besides, we registered Div II for a reason. >_>
Nobody is going to be forced to switch. If we have a scheduling quirk that allows teams a team to switch, I'll be open to it, but I don't anticipate anyone really wanting to switch at this point.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Diet Chuck
Lulu

Post by Diet Chuck »

This is sort of off-topic, but TJ is looking for a team to play football with during the tournament weekend. We'll do anywhere from a 3v3 to a 11v11. Just a warning to all teams interested: we are frighteningly adept at both catching and passing the ball, and we've got lightening quick reflexes. I'm gonna call out some teams in particular: DORMAN (I know you guys got some game under those stolid exteriors), WHITMAN (Come on guys. Make us earn those Gobstoppers), and GOV (Anant you ain't nothin but a marshmellow son).

Of course, if you don't want to play us, that's perfectly fine as well (scrubs). But if you do, email me (Mohit) at [email protected] or Bali at [email protected].
Mohit Iyyer
TJ 2008, WUSTL 2012
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Calcium Deficiency wrote:This is sort of off-topic, but TJ is looking for a team to play football with during the tournament weekend. We'll do anywhere from a 3v3 to a 11v11. Just a warning to all teams interested: we are frighteningly adept at both catching and passing the ball, and we've got lightening quick reflexes. I'm gonna call out some teams in particular: DORMAN (I know you guys got some game under those stolid exteriors), WHITMAN (Come on guys. Make us earn those Gobstoppers), and GOV (Anant you ain't nothin but a marshmellow son).

Of course, if you don't want to play us, that's perfectly fine as well (scrubs). But if you do, email me (Mohit) at [email protected] or Bali at [email protected].
If I'm not on crutches, wait even if I am on crutches, I will destroy all of you. I'm thinking 11v 1.
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
GameTheory
Lulu

Post by GameTheory »

[/quote]

If I'm not on crutches, wait even if I am on crutches, I will destroy all of you. I'm thinking 11v 1.[/quote]

Actually, I bet you could. Still, we take you on any day son. By the way, what you think of that Maryland game? Ogleby at the buzzer. Very disappointing.
The Infanta
Wakka

Post by The Infanta »

In response to Chris, probably not, mainly because GMU's, well, far. But if this changes, I'll let you know.
Marisol Brady (they/them)
Kellenberg Memorial HS '09
University of Delaware '1X
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Nice Avatar, dude (I mean Game Theory, not whatever random blind people.)

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Could we get some times for this, or at least a good guess as to the opening meeting time? (and sorry if I missed it above)

Thanks.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Despite the seeming unyielding onslaught of teams randomly adding or dropping, here is the relevant info:

We will start registration at 7:30 am. Registration will run until 8:15, and we will be having a rules meeting then. Let me put emphasis on this: This weekend is running on a tight schedule. We will be starting at 8:30 whether teams have arrived or not - I normally hate to do stuff like this but since we've got the evening event and everything I think it's necessary. It's early, I know, but most of the teams seem to be staying at the hotels and we've got a lot of quizbowlin to do. So again: This tournament goes off at 8:30. Bummer.

We are meeting (any time there's a large-auditorium meeting) at the enigmatic entity known as Lecture Hall 1, which Dr. Chuck tells me is located next to Fenwick library. I invite ETC to post some more details about the actual buildings, getting around GMU, parking, etc. since he is far more qualified to do so than I am.

We currently have 23 teams competing in Division I and 16 teams in Division II on Saturday after a last-minute drop. For Sunday, we will have 22 teams in Division I and 13 teams in Division II. I'm not exactly sure what this will mean. I will probably endeavor to form some kind of scab team to compete both days - it won't necessarily be the same scab team.

On that note: If you want to bring along an extra student or two, we will probably need to form some kind of a scab team, so we'd appreciate it and you can get them some experience. The scab team would almost certain be playing in Division II.

Here is what I hope the schedule will be:

Prelims: Card-swap system swiss pairing:
Round 1: 8:30 - 9:15
Round 2: 9:15 - 10:00
Round 3: 10:00 - 10:45
Round 4: 10:45 - 11:30
Round 5: 11:30 - 12:15
Round 6: 12:15 - 1:00
Lunch: 1:00 - 1:45

Playoffs: We will rebracket into power brackets of four along quadrants of a 16-team single-elimination tree. That is, the groups will be seeds 1,8,9,16, seeds 2,7,10,15, seeds 3,6,11,14, and seeds 4,5,12,13. These teams will play round robins within their bracket. This means that everyone in Division II makes the playoffs Saturday. The bottom Eight teams will be placed into a consolation bracket in Division I, where they will also play round robins for this portion of the tournament. Anyway,

Playoffs Round A:
Rebracketing and Announcements: 1:45-2:00
Round 7: 2:00 - 2:45
Round 8: 2:45 - 3:30
Round 9: 3:30 - 4:15

Playoffs B: There will then be another rebracketing, where the top seeds of each bracket are put in another bracket of four, the 2 seeds in another, and so on. For the bottom 8 Division I teams, the same thing will happen except that the top 2 will be put into the top bracket and the bottom 2 will go into the other.

Rebracketing and Announcements: 4:15 - 4:30
Round 10: 4:30 - 5:15
Round 11: 5:15 - 6:00
Round 12: 6:00 - 6:45

If a team has cleared the field (that is, it has a 2+ game advantage), that team will be declared the winner. Following ACF rules, we will play either a final or an advantaged final if teams are within a game. To restate: If Team A is 11-1, and Team B is 9-3, Team A has won the tournament. If Team A is 12-0 and Team B is 11-1, there will be an advantaged final in which Team A has to win one game and Team B has to win two. If both teams are 11-1, there will be a one-game final.

As for tiebreakers: Qualification for playoffs is record, points per game, points per bonus. After the first rebracketing, if teams within a bracket are tied for a seed, there will probably be a 10-question playoff for the spot.

As for the doubles tournament, it will occur either at 8:00, or 8:30 if we go to final rounds. These times are tentative, and if we run early or behind will be altered. An announcement will be made following the second rebracketing.

One final thing: This is a weekend of quizbowl. Please do not leave after the prelims, or after the first playoff round. Our whole concept is providing teams with lots of games, and our whole schedule relies on people sticking around. You'll be playing the next day anyway, so it would be awfully lame to skip out and show up bright and early Sunday morning. Also, with all due respect to the greater George Mason area, it ain't Disney World. So please stick around.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Well, I will pitch my professional website's information for visitors at http://prehealth.gmu.edu/visit/index.html , which has links to general directions to campus and a map of the Fairfax campus (http://www.gmu.edu/welcome/Directions-to-GMU.html).

The following refers to the map at http://www.gmu.edu/departments/infoserv ... smap07.pdf . Please print.

Parking: best place would be the Mason Pond parking lot. Find the pond on the map and see the parking structure next to building "74." Lecture Hall is Building "16," and Robinson Hall is building "24" (building B) and 23 (building A). I'll try to point out the rest of the buildings as needed, but most of the game rooms are in those two buildings.

If you're bringing in a bus or cannot fit into the parking garage, "free" parking is the remote corners of Lot K. In theory, they can ticket you, so warning for everyone on that. Mason Pond is much closer, even if it may cost you $8 for the entire day on Saturday. However, the lots apparently no longer get actively patrolled after 5pm Saturday, so you can park anywhere Saturday and Sunday. That said, if you get here early enough, hopefully the free parking will suffice; I don't know if there are any big programs going on that day.

I am checking on the on-campus food situation in the Johnson Center; it will likely not be as hopping compared to regular school hours. McDonald's, Elie's Deli (sandwiches), and a Dunkin Donuts are in University Mall across from Braddock Road from the campus (Braddock and Roanoke River Road, southwest corner just off-campus, south of Lot K). It's probably 10-20 minutes from center of campus by foot.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Robbie Ram
Wakka

Post by Robbie Ram »

Pin-tailed Manakin wrote:NAQT qualification can only be earned on the NAQT set. I presume both divisions' top 15% earn automatic bids.
NAQT HS NCT qualification is now a moot point, since the HS NCT field is already completely filled (with a waiting list forming as well).

So, if you haven't already qualified for the NAQT HS NCT, registered, and had your registration confirmed, it won't matter where you finish in either division of the BYO Dagger, since you basically are locked out of that tournament at this point (other than being "waitlisted")!

Bummer, eh?
Michael P. Campana
Coach/sponsor, Quiz Bowl Club
Mark Twain Middle School
Alexandria, VA
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Robbie Ram wrote:
Pin-tailed Manakin wrote:NAQT qualification can only be earned on the NAQT set. I presume both divisions' top 15% earn automatic bids.
NAQT HS NCT qualification is now a moot point, since the HS NCT field is already completely filled (with a waiting list forming as well).

So, if you haven't already qualified for the NAQT HS NCT, registered, and had your registration confirmed, it won't matter where you finish in either division of the BYO Dagger, since you basically are locked out of that tournament at this point (other than being "waitlisted")!

Bummer, eh?
However, many of the reserved spots for state champions will go to teams already on the list, and last year they did expand the field to accommodate all interested teams. So, while I have nothing to do with NAQT and there's never any guarantees, history suggests that those interested in HSNCT should make sure they qualify and will be able to participate if they do.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Will the schedule be the same Sunday as Saturday?
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Will the schedule be the same Sunday as Saturday?
I hope so, but teams continue to drop at an unstoppable pace, so who knows.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

Gonzagapuma1 wrote:
Calcium Deficiency wrote:This is sort of off-topic, but TJ is looking for a team to play football with during the tournament weekend. We'll do anywhere from a 3v3 to a 11v11. Just a warning to all teams interested: we are frighteningly adept at both catching and passing the ball, and we've got lightening quick reflexes. I'm gonna call out some teams in particular: DORMAN (I know you guys got some game under those stolid exteriors), WHITMAN (Come on guys. Make us earn those Gobstoppers), and GOV (Anant you ain't nothin but a marshmellow son).

If I'm not on crutches, wait even if I am on crutches, I will destroy all of you. I'm thinking 11v 1.
puma and I can take you all
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

PACE NSC qualification is still open. Unless I get a mad run of 20-30 registrations before the weekend.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

Will there be any math computation this weekend?
Nick
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Will there be any math computation this weekend?
Only me computing new schedules every time a team last-minute drops.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

So I was procrastinating, as always, and ranking the attendees based on Byko's list.
Dorman A 1
Whitman 4
TJ A 5
Dorman B 11
Wilmington Charter A 12
Stuyvesant 16
Chattahoochee A 17
James Island 18
MLK Magnet 19
New Trier 20
Maggie Walker A 21
Gonzaga 25
Garfield Heights 27
Hunter 29
Walter Johnson 35
Seton Hall A 56
---playoff cutoff---
GDS A 60
TJ B 79
LASA 119
Robinson 130
Maggie Walker B 137
Whitman B 201
St. Anselm's 214
Edit: (fixed accordingly)

Needless to say, an extremely strong field . . . I hope we make the playoffs.
Last edited by aestheteboy on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

aestheteboy wrote:LASA ??
LASA is what's currently listed as Lyndon Baines Johnson A. Like LAMP (in Alabama), they've split off from the school itself, as LAMP used to actually be Sidney Lanier High School before there was a division that produced the Loveless Academic Magnet Program (at Sidney Lanier High School). Likewise, the Liberal Arts and Sciences Academy has done the same at LBJ High School in Austin. I've gotten some more results from them that have not yet been entered (we'll see if I have time to get them in this week), but that should at least give you something to chew on there for now.

Robinson is definitely the one in Virginia--Robinson (NC) will be at NCOAST this weekend, which I still need to finish editing.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Here is, I hope, the final fields for Saturday and Sunday. Please don't drop.

Please.

SATURDAY

Division I: 22 teams
Dorman A
Dorman B
GDS A
Stuyvesant
Hunter
Maggie Walker A
Maggie Walker B
Whitman
MLK Magnet
Gonzaga
TJ A
TJ B
Chattahoochee A
Wilmington Charter A
Walter Johnson
Garfield Heights
LASA
New Trier
James Island
St. Anselm's
Whitman B
Richard Montgomery A

Division II: 16 Teams
E.C. Glass
TJ D
TJ E
Chattahoochee B
Saint Stephen Saint Agnes
Blake
Mercersburg Academy
Stone Bridge A
Stone Bridge B
L.O.T. Academy
Centennial
Howard
Robinson
TJ C
Langley
Scab Team

SUNDAY

Division I: 22 Teams
Dorman A
Dorman B
GDS A
Stuyvesant
Hunter
Maggie Walker A
Maggie Walker B
Whitman
MLK Magnet
Gonzaga
TJ A
TJ B
Chattahoochee A
Wilmington Charter A
Walter Johnson
Garfield Heights
LASA
New Trier
James Island
St. Anselm's
Whitman B
Richard Montgomery A

Division II: 14 Teams
E.C. Glass
TJ C
TJ D
TJ E
Chattahoochee B
Blake
Mercersburg Academy
Stone Bridge A
Stone Bridge B
L.O.T. Academy
Centennial
Howard
Robinson
Langley

Thanks to RM for joining at the 11th hour and rounding out the field, and for TJ C for switch-hitting and allowing us to avoid having byes. You guys rule.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Hi, I'm Ian from Ward Melville, and I'm pretty sure we're not going to be there. The person that was going to go from our team (he was unable to get the rest of us into it, some had Science Olympiad) ended up having Model UN, and we probably will not be able to get team and money together in time anyway. I would have let you know sooner, but last time I saw the field update we were not included in it. You should probably contact him (Devon) to make sure. I'll send you an e-mail with his e-mail address.

Edit: I just spoke with Devon (he walked by me in the library before he left on his field trip to NYC), and he said that he can't do it. Sorry for the late drop by him and our school.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Blake should be able to bring a scab player or two.
Isaac Hirsch
Never Gonna Play Again
fzhang
Lulu

Post by fzhang »

Oh cool is TJ C back to Div II on Saturday? That would be excellent.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Are the question sets included in the fee?
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Questions will be going for $15 for one and $25 for both.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

DumbJaques wrote:Questions will be going for $15 for one and $25 for both.
Seriously?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

Good luck.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Skate or Die wrote:
Seriously?
QFT
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I wasn't actually sure what the current practice was with regards to this (I remember questions usually going for about $20). Eh, that's fine, the fee is steep already, we'll go ahead and give out the Saturday questions (pending permission from Trygve) for free (although likely in electronic form). As for the NAQT stuff, NAQT is charging us a bit extra per team because it's sectionals, so I think we'll try selling those for $10.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Blake should be able to bring a scab player or two.
If you can confirm that, we would actually need them for Saturday, not Sunday, as we've temporarily added a team to the field. Let me know.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

My team needs lots of rides. Let me know if you can help drive us from Dulles to Hampton Inn Fairfax City very very late Friday night, from Hampton Inn Fairfax City to the tournament Saturday morning, back to the hotel Saturday evening after Doubles, and/or to Dulles after the Sunday tournament. Four students and one coach. [email protected].
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey everyone,

My cellphone recently went for a swim, so I am now reachable at 240-750-3343. Call me if you're running late, have any questions, or have any emergencies. If you call Saturday morning to drop out of the field, I'd suggest making it a long distance call.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Unfortunately, we were not able to procure the extra transportation [besides Mr. Caulfield's small-mobile] and will not be able to bring scab players.
Isaac Hirsch
Never Gonna Play Again
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Please remember that registration ENDS at 8:15 (and starts at 7:30). Also, we will be having a scab team in division II on Saturday only.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I heard this rumor that Whitman beat TJ 2 games in a row in an advantaged final and that Dorman A got third and Wilmington Charter got 4th.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

I confirm that rumor. Anyone who witnessed the mini-match (v. Dorman) and the finals can testify that I was not crazy after all about my assessment about Shantanu - playing with extremely competent teammates, he still scored about 75% of all the tossup points for Whitman. It almost seemed as if he could singlehandedly beat TJ and Dorman.
5-8 were Dorman B, MLK, Chattahoochee and WJ. Dorman and MLK were 2-1, Chatta and WJ were 1-2, but I don't know how PPG played out.
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

STATS! STATS!
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Brief Results:

After a six-round prelim and six total games of playoffs (with one rebracketing), TJ A emerged with the top record at 10-2. Whitman A and Dorman A were both 9-3 (Wilmington Charter was 8-4, and occupied the final spot in the top bracket, thus clinching a fourth-place finish). As per our announcement, a one-game advantage cannot outright with the field, so we had to resolve it. We had a total of 40/40 available in the forms of two Mike Sorice packets. We decided that since we needed to break the tie between Dorman and Whitman, as well as ensure that two games could be played in an advantaged final format between TJ and the winner, we would play a 10/10 playoff of Whitman vs. Dorman, and two rounds of 15/15 for the winner and TJ.

Whitman A defeated Dorman A in the 10-question minigame by a score that I believe was in the vicinity of 200-135 (Dave has the exact scores from this round. Whitman A then won both games against TJ (again, scores pending) to secure the championship.

Stats and trophies will actually be awarded tomorrow before play begins on the Second tournament, since most people opted to go home while the finals situation was resolved.

The division I field of the tournament ran very smoothly. There were problems with the Division II second playoff bracket that took the form of an avalanche of teams leaving randomly without telling anyone, telling us but still leaving while they were part of a round-robin bracket, packing up their buzzers when the rooms were still in use, and, once again, leaving randomly and not telling anyone. These problems were compounded by the fact that we were struggling to create a new schedule for Division II during the re-bracketing (owing two two teams not showing up this morning at all), and it caused some further delays.

Basically we are trying to sort through the stats of games that broke apart from their intended round robin brackets, games that apparnetly didn't occur, and games that seemed to involve one or more coaches playing as third teams. I'll post the stats (that is, I'll have someone who does such things) post them when we can best resolve these issues.

I"ll save most of this for discussion, but I just want to say I am absolutely overwhelmed with the quality of players at this tournament, You guys are seriously good, and a real testament to how serious, competitive, and legit quizbowl is gaining tremendous strength in the high school community. If you think you might fit this description, I'd encourage you to attend the University of Maryland.

I also want to say that the Doubles event didn't take place quite as planned since the main tournament finished around 9:00. A number of players elected to stay and play out some rounds, but as an organized event it didn't so much fly (a bummer, as I had put a decent amount getting things all set up for it). Consequently nobody was charged any money for it, but will still be playing those questions tonight and tomorrow somewhat.

Detailed resuts are being compiled.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Could somebody please explain what happened in round 2 of Div II finals? There seemed to have been some misunderstandings or something.
We played one team we were supposed to play, then one we weren't, and then we went home.
Isaac Hirsch
Never Gonna Play Again