FSU HS Tournament on April 5th in Tallahassee, Florida

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
wd4gdz
Tidus

FSU HS Tournament on April 5th in Tallahassee, Florida

Post by wd4gdz »

HS Brain Bowl Tournament
Florida State University (Tallahassee, Florida)
Saturday, April 5th, 2008

INTRODUCTION:
Your school is invited to enter a team or two in the Spring 2008 Brain Bowl Tournament, to be held at FSU in Tallahassee, Florida, on Saturday, April 5th, 2008. Please feel free to contact me, Billy Beyer, at wfb04 at fsu dot edu with any questions, or to register your team(s). Here are the most important facts:

ELIGIBILITY:
This is intended as a high school tournament. One or two teams may participate from the same school, but players on any given team must be enrolled in the same school, and we can't accommodate switching from one team to another during the tournament. There will not be a separate JV division.

FORMAT:
Owing to the number of rooms we were able to reserve, we have capped the field at 16 teams. For that reason, schools are limited to bringing only one or two teams. We plan to evenly divide the field into two brackets, and have the teams play a round-robin in that bracket. This will be followed by playoffs. The exact schedule won't be known until we know have many teams are participating.

FEES:
The entry fee per team is seventy-five dollars. Questions from this tournament can be purchased by teams attending for $10 and questions from previous FSU tournaments can also be purchased.

Discounts include:
-$5 per functional buzzer system
-$10 each additional team from the same school

Please make checks out to either "William Beyer." If this is not possible, please use "College Bowl at FSU" Cash is also acceptable.

QUESTIONS:
We are using NAQT IS-74. This tournament will feature untimed rounds in which there will be 20 tossups (worth 10 pts. each) and up to 20 bonuses (worth a possible 30 pts. each.) Questions will be distributed across various academic categories, with a smattering of pop culture thrown in. There will be powers (worth 15 points), but there will not be bounceback on the bonuses. Since it's an NAQT tournament, there will be math, so be sure to bring a pencil and paper for use during the calculation questions.

SCHEDULE:
Registration will begin at 8:30 AM EST, and we hope to start Round 1 at approximately 9:00 AM. There will be a break for lunch (not provided) and the entire tournament should be over by 5:00 PM.

This tournament will be located on the bottom floor of Bellamy Building at FSU. Registration will take place in Room 001 of Bellamy and all matches will take place in Rooms 001 - 008. I would recommend parking in the parking garage located near the corner of Woodward Avenue and Tennessee Street. Here's a map of FSU:
http://www.fsu.edu/map2007/2007-MapPRINT032500.html
Bellamy = 8
Parking Garage = 70

The deadline for registration is Tuesday, April 1st, 2008. However, since the field size is capped at 16 teams, early registration is a very good idea. To register, simply e-mail me (wfb04 at fsu dot edu) stating your interest, and include the following information:
1) Name of your school and coach's name.
2) Number of teams that you will bring.
3) Number of functional buzzer systems you will bring.

---

Thanks,
Billy Beyer
FSU College Bowl
Last edited by wd4gdz on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
Saiem
Wakka

Re: Possible HS Tournament at FSU (Tallahassee, FL)

Post by Saiem »

yeah actually, I'd do that.

Edit: I can't personally do the PACE set... unless there is a second one that is cycling around that wasn't used at the Gulf Coast Tourney on February 2nd. I would prefer something more academic. The sectionals one might be okay. Or IS 72/74, whatevs. All of them seem like pretty legit options.
Saiem Gilani
Florida State '12, '1X
hardeecoach
Lulu

Re: Possible HS Tournament at FSU (Tallahassee, FL)

Post by hardeecoach »

How about a CAC-format tournament to get us ready for State the next weekend? As long as no Polk County teams are registered, you could probably get a packet from Peggy Harrod that was used for the Polk County tourney.
Peggy Saddler
Coach, Hardee Senior High
Wauchula, Florida
wd4gdz
Tidus

Re: FSU HS Tournament on April 5th in Tallahassee, Florida

Post by wd4gdz »

I have heard enough response from teams to say we're definitely hosting this tournament, so please register.

Field Update:

Leon 1-2
Lincoln 1-2
Montverde 2
Pensacola 2
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

Rickards is probably one or two. I will get back to you later today or so.
hardeecoach
Lulu

Post by hardeecoach »

Is much as I hate to do it, we have to decline. That is the end of our spring break and only a few days before state.....
Peggy Saddler
Coach, Hardee Senior High
Wauchula, Florida
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Leon (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Miller County (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Montverde (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Tate (2 teams, 1 buzzer)

Expressed Interested:
Chiles
Lincoln
OWC
Pensacola
Rickards
Saint Lucie West Centennial
Wesley Chapel
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

We will be there Billy. With 2 teams. and 1 buzzer.
Saiem Gilani
Florida State '12, '1X