HELP!!!!!!!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

HELP!!!!!!!

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I'm kind of a computer idiot and I'm trying to run that online/scobowl quizbowl but I can't seem to get anywhere. I've already downloaded some mIRC thing, (I think, I don't really know...) now what? If someone could give me detailed instructions it would be much appreciated..................
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Sir Thopas
Auron

Re: HELP!!!!!!!

Post by Sir Thopas »

Type "/server irc.slashnet.org" and wait for it to load. Ignore whatever may pop up.
Type "/nick whatever" to set the name by which you would like to be known.
Type "/join #scobowl" to enter the channel, and receive channel-specific instructions there as necessary, I suppose.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

This might be what you're looking for.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

aarcoh wrote:I'm kind of a computer idiot and I'm trying to run that online/scobowl quizbowl but I can't seem to get anywhere. I've already downloaded some mIRC thing, (I think, I don't really know...) now what? If someone could give me detailed instructions it would be much appreciated..................
Second that. Every now and then I get an idea of trying the trivia bot but I've never run IRC. The directions more or less assume I have and that I have the necessary software. Links to the appropriate sites (http://www.jibble.org/pircbot.php) get me a program that won't run.
:cry:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

If you have Firefox (and if you don't, switch, because this analogy is about 90% true... IE:Firefox:: :chip: :NAQT), you can download an addon called Chatzilla that works pretty well. For me, most of the allure is that Firefox addons in general are nice, tidy pieces of software.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Got it now. Pretty cool site! Now if I could just get one for my middle schoolers.....
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Why can't your middle schoolers go to it?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Errr.....middle schoolers on ACF questions. Probably not going to work, and I don't care how good these middle schoolers are.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

aarcoh wrote:Errr.....middle schoolers on ACF questions. Probably not going to work, and I don't care how good these middle schoolers are.
I used ACF Fall and sometimes Regionals questions in middle school practice when my current senior class was in 8th grade. They did pretty well.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I think that middle schoolers should be informed of this, and be allowed to participate of their own volition. If a middle schooler does this knowing that he/she is not likely to answer much, I can see nothing but improvement coming from it.
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

dtaylor4 wrote:I think that middle schoolers should be informed of this, and be allowed to participate of their own volition. If a middle schooler does this knowing that he/she is not likely to answer much, I can see nothing but improvement coming from it.
Yeah, ours come into #scobowl occasionally, and they seem to enjoy it/find it helpful.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Most of the questions in the Bot are taken from Scobol Solo. They are appropriate for 7th and 8th graders who are serious about quizbowl. The questions are definitely easier than any ACF questions. Some of you may be referring to other channels run by moderators who use questions around ACF Fall Level, which would be fine for a middle schooler as long as s/he was warned ahead of time that s/he wasn't going to answer a lot.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

ReinsteinD wrote:Most of the questions in the Bot are taken from Scobol Solo. They are appropriate for 7th and 8th graders who are serious about quizbowl. The questions are definitely easier than any ACF questions. Some of you may be referring to other channels run by moderators who use questions around ACF Fall Level, which would be fine for a middle schooler as long as s/he was warned ahead of time that s/he wasn't going to answer a lot.
Well, that's not really true. Most of the time ACF questions (specifically, ACF Fall) are played on scobowl. There are multiple sets (use the !get sets and !loadset command), and more are being slowly added.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008