Repeating Questions

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rleavitt
Lulu

Repeating Questions

Post by rleavitt »

I was recently moderating a tournament and a student asked me to repeat the question. I said no; was I right in doing so? What if a team had asked me to repeat a bonus-- is that allowable?
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Repeating Questions

Post by AKKOLADE »

Well, local rules & all that, but I don't think that there are any circumstances where repeating the question is acceptable.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

I would say that you should not repeat a question unless the rules of the event specifically allow it, or if you as the moderator believe there is a specific reason that you should... (Like a cell phone went off halfway through the question or some other unusual circumstance). If a student just had a lapse in concentration then that is their loss.

Our local league (MACC) has a repeat rule that allows the students to ask for a question to be repeated (before the end of the question, but not after it is done), but that is the only competition I have ever competed in that specifically allows a repeat.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

rleavitt wrote:I was recently moderating a tournament and a student asked me to repeat the question. I said no; was I right in doing so? What if a team had asked me to repeat a bonus-- is that allowable?
Local rules supercede all else.

If and only if *both* teams ask you to do this, you might consider either throwing out the question or repeating the question.

Otherwise you did the right thing.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Only my opinion on the matter:

The local rules should be clear if repeating a question is proper, and you should have been briefed by your TD if that is the case. My rule of thumb is that the reader decides if he/she screwed up reading the question which would warrant repeating (realizing that the phrase "eats shoots, and leaves" really should have been "eats, shoots, and leaves" or "eats shoots and leaves": emphases on the wrong syllables or phrases...). So if you think that how you read a question could mislead the teams unintentionally, you have the opportunity (not sure the "obligation" but to be fair...) to repeat the question.

Requests to repeat though are tricky. A player should not be asking you to repeat a tossup unless you misstate a word (I do that because I skim-read ahead sometimes and insert the wrong adjective or noun). But I usually don't repeat the entire question unless the rule states I should. If the students are talking and not paying attention as you are moving along in the game, that's their fault. If a sonic boom happens while you're reading a question, be fair and repeat it. Context dictates appropriate calls to repeat questions, though the default is usually "no."

The exception is math calculation tossups for me. I really make sure that the concept/setup is well-understood and that I don't rush through reading equations, especially when powers and parentheses are involved.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

In Illinois, bonus parts may be repeated (but only the captain can ask for a repeat) but not tossups. However, I always tell my team that excessive requests for repeats annoys the other team--and me!--and show the other team that they're not really listening if they do.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

AHS Eagles wrote:I would say that you should not repeat a question unless the rules of the event specifically allow it.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I would say that the rules shouldn't allow for repeating, either.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

leftsaidfred wrote:I would say that the rules shouldn't allow for repeating, either.
I agree. If we're in the realm of proposing local rules/reconsidering existing local rules, no asking for repeats (while allowing a moderator to go back and fix a pronunciation or other mistake) is a good way to go. Just wastes time otherwise.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Within Illinois format, repeating works. Our bonuses are read all at once, and teams then have thirty seconds to discuss all the parts. If the captain of the controlling team asks for a repeat, it is allowed, but the clock keeps running and the moderator stops talking if time goes off while they are still repeating. We do not repeat tossups, except for cases like the ones described above with moderator discretion.

Under normal NAQT or ACF rules, there would be no way to repeat anything with the clock running because time would run out by the time the moderator figured out what the student wanted repeated.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

leftsaidfred wrote:I would say that the rules shouldn't allow for repeating, either.
Unless there's some sort of egregious disruption, it is the teams' responsibility to listen to questions attentively. There have been plenty of times when I've screwed up because I wasn't listening.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
theattachment
Rikku

Post by theattachment »

WeekendatBernadette wrote:
Unless there's some sort of egregious disruption, it is the teams' responsibility to listen to questions attentively. There have been plenty of times when I've screwed up because I wasn't listening.
QFT. One of the problems a lot of teams have is that they don't know how to listen intently to questions. If repeat rules were allowed outside of a major disruption (i.e. a fire alarm) it would remove any incentive to listen to hear important phrases that say which thing the question is asking for. If there's an earthquake and the match resumes, repeat the question. If a person can't bother to listen, don't give them points they don't deserve.
Colin O'Donnell -- ex-Eden Prairie High School (man, that feels nice to say), eventually University of Minnesota
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

What about incompetent mumbling? Or overly fast reading in an untimed match. I've been accused of both of these, though I have become much better about the latter. I think questions are written so densely and often poorly, that it is hard to know where you should actually put emphasis or rest. It gets kind of confusing for teams occasionally.

If a team that I feel was listening but couldn't understand what I was saying, I don't feel like its a bad thing to repeat an odd part, especially if they tell me immediately. As a player, I've often been annoyed by this situation:

"This *unintelligible word* was inspired by *unintelligible word* while the creator was in Germany.."

As a player, I'm usually pretty vocal that I can't understand what the moderator is saying immediately. This may be considered rude, but I'd probably be like "Excuse me, What?!" and more often than not, a reader will repeat the offending part, so this hasn't really been a problem. This has more to do with bad moderating. As a moderator, I'm not usually opposed to reading a part of a question over if its a relatively friendly match. There have been times where I have slurred my words, and that happens. I think the case of mispronunciation/mumbling isn't being discussed here, but I agree that at the end of the question, there shouldn't be a repeat.

As far as bonus parts go... I'm usually okay with re-reading the lead-in if its one of those categorize these things that are often in silly NAQT packets, but only once. Especially if the lead-in isn't especially specific to say that its going to be one of a categorize type of bonus.
Saiem Gilani
Florida State '12, '1X
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Consult rules.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE