Missouri S&T Fall Tournament (12/13/08)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Deckard Cain
Rikku

Missouri S&T Fall Tournament (12/13/08)

Post by Deckard Cain »

This is a preliminary announcement for the Missouri S&T Fall Tournament, to be held in Rolla, MO on December 13, 2008. Format is basically mACF, with house-written packets of 20 tossups with bonuses.
Last edited by Deckard Cain on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Chadbourne
Viburnum HS '04
Missouri S&T '09 and '11
Missouri Quizbowl Alliance member/president emeritus

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Deckard Cain
Rikku

Re: Missouri S&T Fall Tournament (12/13/08)

Post by Deckard Cain »

Due to a date conflict, this tournament has been moved to December 13. Full information to come in the next couple of days.
Matt Chadbourne
Viburnum HS '04
Missouri S&T '09 and '11

Deckard Cain
Rikku

Post by Deckard Cain »

The Missouri University of Science and Technology Academic Competition Organization would like to invite you to the 4th Annual Missouri S&T Fall Tournament, to be held on our scenic campus in Rolla, Missouri on December 13, 2008.

Format:
This tournament will be run in the college format. Games consist of twenty tossups worth ten points each, and if answered correctly are followed by non-rebounding bonuses worth up to thirty points. The questions will be written by members of the Missouri S&T Academic Competition Organization, as they have been for past tournaments.

The field is currently limited to the first 24 teams to register, though we will make every effort to include all interested teams. This year, schools will be welcome to register multiple teams.

We will be including powers and negs in this tournament. A “power” occurs when a player correctly answers a tossup extremely early into the question; this results in fifteen points instead of ten. A “neg” occurs when a team buzzes incorrectly on a tossup before the question is complete, and this results in a penalty of five points. Negs are applied only to the first team to buzz in on a tossup.

The tournament will feature a bracketed round robin and playoff, the exact specifications of which will be determined by the final field size. The field will not be divided into small and large school divisions, but the top-finishing small-school team (as well as the top four teams overall) will receive trophies.

Pricing:
Base fee for first team: $55
Base fee for second and subsequent teams: $50
Moderator discount: $5 discount for each competent moderator your school brings
Buzzer discount: $5 discount for each working buzzer system your school brings
Buzzer borrowing discount: $5 discount if we have borrowed your buzzer for an intercollegiate event
Alumnus discount: $5 discount if your school has an alumnus on the Missouri S&T team
Travel discount: $5 discount for every 100 miles your school traveled to the tournament (one-way, as determined by Google Maps)
Early registration discount: $5 discount if your registration is received before November 13, 2008
The minimum entry fee is $25 per team.

Formalities:
Please email me, Matt Chadbourne, at mwchadbourne at gmail dot com to sign up for the tournament. Registration on the morning of the tournament will begin at 8:00. Since the format we will be using is unfamiliar to many teams, we will have a short team meeting at 8:45 to review the rules. The first round of tournament play will begin at 9:00.

After the completion of the tournament, each team in attendance will receive an electronic copy of the questions used.

Pending affiliation, this tournament will be a qualifier for the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence National Scholastics Championship, to be held May 23-24, 2009 at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. The top four teams will automatically qualify for this national tournament, which regularly features many of the nation’s top teams.

A list of teams that have signed up for the tournament can be found on the Missouri S&T ACO webpage (http://web.mst.edu/~cbowl) and at the Missouri Academic Competition Message Board (http://www.moquizbowl.com). Both lists will be updated regularly. Our tournaments traditionally fill extremely quickly, therefore it is highly advisable to reserve your spot early, and you are more than welcome to reserve your spot in the tournament before the payment process has been completed.

We hope to see you and your team in Rolla this December and wish you the best of luck as you compete this season. As always, if you have any questions about the tournament, don’t hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Matt Chadbourne

President, Missouri S&T Academic Competition Organization
Last edited by Deckard Cain on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Chadbourne
Viburnum HS '04
Missouri S&T '09 and '11

Deckard Cain
Rikku

Post by Deckard Cain »

Current field as of 9/23: 13 teams

Fordland
Fort Zumwalt West (2)
Hallsville
Liberty
Pilot Grove
Richland (2)
Rockwood Summit (2)
Salem (2)
Savannah
Matt Chadbourne
Viburnum HS '04
Missouri S&T '09 and '11

Deckard Cain
Rikku

Post by Deckard Cain »

Current field as of 11/8: 26 teams

Belle
Crocker
Cuba
Eureka (2)
Fordland
Fort Zumwalt West (2)
Hallsville
Hancock (2)
Kickapoo
Knob Noster
Liberty
North Kansas City
Pilot Grove
Richland (2)
Rockwood Summit (2)
Rolla
Saint Clair
Salem (2)
Savannah
Waynesville
Matt Chadbourne
Viburnum HS '04
Missouri S&T '09 and '11

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Since no one's posted it yet, Savannah won this tournament after a truncated round robin playoff, while Liberty got 2nd, Richland got 3rd (and won the small school award), and Hallsville got 4th. Prelim stats are at http://web.mst.edu/~cbowl/hosting/0809/ ... dings.html. I moderated at this tournament, and I really dug that this tournament got every team a guaranteed 8-9 games, and that everyone stayed to play them all. Also I love any time that more teams get the chance to qualify for nationals in Missouri since that is something that doesn't get enough notice out here. The biggest problem I had with the event was mostly related to the use of an A-set here, because the set was not that hot and the fewer packets led to a funky playoff format. NKC notably got very unlucky because of a combination of a small number of teams making the playoffs and happening to run into the two best performing teams in their bracket beside them on packets that skewed pretty far away from normal distribution. However, I still think it should be emphasized that even if this is a poor set by national quizbowl standards, this is damn-near heavensent compared to things like Questions Galore. All in all, I find this to be a positive development for Missouri quizbowl, and I hope that in the future there are more tournaments like this one.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator