NAQT 2004 High School Championship

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

How will you travel to the NAQT Natl's?

Plane
59%
Car/Van
41%
Your two feet
No votes

Total votes: 27

SPIRITdrummer6
Lulu

NAQT 2004 High School Championship

Post by SPIRITdrummer6 »

The NAQT 2004 HS NCT is going to be held at the Radisson Hotel Astrodome Convention Center in Houston, Texas, through the efforts of the Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance. The dates are set for June 5-6, 2004 (Saturday-Sunday). Teams will want to fly into one of the two major Houston airports, either George Bush Intercontinental or William P. Hobby. NAQT will be arranging and announcing a group discount with appropriate times. There will also be a discount on rental cars. There will be no shuttles or buses to or from the tournament site since the Radisson Plaza Hotel is attached to the Convention Center. The registration fee per team is $375 if paid before April 23, 2004. Registering online is recommended. For more information visit http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/2004/2004-hs-nct-details.html. Hopefully Taylor County will be going, of course there is always the factor of money. What other teams will be going?
Gerard Massey
Capt. of TCHS Quizbowl Team
ManiacalClown
Lulu

Post by ManiacalClown »

If we qualify on March 6, we should be there. 8)
kelli
Lulu

Post by kelli »

ya, martin county is planning on qualifying at vanguard, or as a wildcard team since there have been no NAQT tournaments in florida as to date...where did Taylor qualify at?
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

We're hoping to qualify at Vanguard on the 28th. If we do, and we can find about $1000, we'll drive there.

The same goes for PACE in Maryland... if we can find $1000 for that, we'll go. Anyone feel like donating money to send 3 underpriviledged kids to nationals?
ChopinManiac
Lulu

Post by ChopinManiac »

How do you qualify for nationals?
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

ChopinManiac wrote:How do you qualify for nationals?
NAQT:
  • Top 15% of the field in a official/unofficial NAQT event
    Winning any class or division of a state championshp with rules and questions similar to those of NAQT.
    According to the NAQT website, "Beginning April 21 of each year, NAQT accepts "wildcard" applications from schools that did not qualify under the above criteria but whose teams have demonstrated a high quality of play in academic competition throughout the year. Particular consideration will be given to schools that, for geographical regions, had difficulty attending NAQT tournaments."
PACE-NSC:
  • The top two teams at all PACE-affiliated events.
    The top four teams at PACE-affiliated events with more than 40 teams.
    The top four teams from the prior PACE-NSC.
    Wildcards as determined by the PACE-NSC.
NAC:
  • Winners of tournaments with eight teams or more.
    Finalists in tournaments in fields with 32 or more teams.
    Teams which “can demonstrate that they are the best of 16.â€
Hydrant
Kimahri

Post by Hydrant »

already qualified two teams!

:D

Now if I can just finagle my way into going and making it back in time for graduation
Booya!
Ted Curry
Kimahri

Post by Ted Curry »

St. John's will be bringing two teams to the tournament. Though the five-mile journey from our campus to the Reliant Stadium complex can be tough, I am confident both teams will be able to complete the journey.

See y'all in Houston!
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

In that case, we've qualified 3 teams for PACE i think; 3 teams for NAC; 2 teams for ASCN; and we've yet to play an NAQT tournament. It's too bad we only have 3 players on our team. Anyone want to join the Martin County Academic League? :)

Ted-- got room for 4 people to stay with you? :)
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

I know that PACE has a limit of two teams per school, and I think the other tournaments have similar restrictions. In addition, based on your reasoning, I think that TJ has qualified probably between eight and ten teams for PACE.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

PACE only lets you qualify two teams from school; ASCN lets you qualify one, maybe two if they need more teams; NAQT lets only one team qualify through regular play, but others can do so as wildcards; and NAC probably only lets you do one. I have no idea about the latter, though it's Chip, so it probably changes every five minutes.
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

I think that TJ has qualified probably between eight and ten teams for PACE.
That's awesome.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Whoops. After checking my notes, it seems that we've only qualified six for PACE, based on the exploits of both TJ A and B. Sorry for the haughty post; I just felt like getting into a numbers war.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
SPIRITdrummer6
Lulu

Post by SPIRITdrummer6 »

kelli wrote:ya, martin county is planning on qualifying at vanguard, or as a wildcard team since there have been no NAQT tournaments in florida as to date...where did Taylor qualify at?
Taylor qualified at the Savannah Country Day Tournament. This is kind of a big thing here. Just recently the School Superintendent "recognized" our achievement. Hopefully we can get some "recognition" with some support to Natl's. "I can't get no... satisfaction... " 8)

Taylor may see some of you at Vanguard, it hasn't been determined which tournys we'll visit. We have two potential tournaments... Valencia CC on the 14th (Valentine's Day whoopie...) and Vanguard of course, on the 28th. There are conflicts on both days.
Gerard Massey
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Is Taylor County HS is planning to compete at the VCC Two-Year Sectional Championship?
If yes, do you know if there are still spots open?
Anyone?

Perhaps I should contact Chris Borglum...
kelli
Lulu

Post by kelli »

as has been said in other threads, martin county is gonna bustacap at vaguard :wink: so hopefully you guys from taylor will be there too :)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

laszlow wrote:Whoops. After checking my notes, it seems that we've only qualified six for PACE, based on the exploits of both TJ A and B. Sorry for the haughty post; I just felt like getting into a numbers war.
Well, you've also had more opportunities to automatically qualify for PACE NSC. Some teams out there haven't gotten an automatic bid because they don't have a PACE-affiliated tournament near them.

Of course, if you qualified six for nationals, maybe you can send your two teams to ASCN and Chip's comp too... :lol:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
ManiacalClown
Lulu

Post by ManiacalClown »

ASCN needs all the teams they can get.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

PACE and (I think but I do not speak for them) NAQT only allow two teams from each school to qualify automatically, but consider allowing third and additional teams on a case-by-case basis. Pointing out that you have a third team which met qualification requirements will help your case.
SPIRITdrummer6
Lulu

Post by SPIRITdrummer6 »

wd4gdz wrote:Is Taylor County HS is planning to compete at the VCC Two-Year Sectional Championship?
If yes, do you know if there are still spots open?
Anyone?

Perhaps I should contact Chris Borglum...
We're not sure yet if Taylor will be attending Valencia CC yet. The decision on which February tournament we'll be attending should be set tonight. Kelli, hope to see your team there. You all did an excellent job here at Fall Brawl. Also, it was great to see you whip Matt Aulford and the rest of the Wakulla team.
Last edited by SPIRITdrummer6 on Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerard Massey
Silver
Kimahri

Post by Silver »

Just wanted to point out that June 5th is definitely one of the "popular" dates for Juniors to take the SAT. Which makes it kind of tough for some teams.
ManiacalClown
Lulu

Post by ManiacalClown »

Who cares about juniors? :o
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

What's the contact for Valencia's Tourny, we hadnt heard anything about it until now. We may be able to go to that.
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

there are plenty of test centers in the houston area. it's theoretically quite possible to take one or two tests and be back to prelims with only 1 or 2 rounds missed. also, if you don't foresee making playoffs, you could pretend that you're orthodox jewish or seventh day adventist or something and test on sunday. bottom line: it can be done
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

jewtemplar wrote:you could pretend that you're orthodox jewish or seventh day adventist or something and test on sunday. bottom line: it can be done
Quiz bowl isn't a valid enough religion? Some might differ on that...
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

NoahMinkCHS wrote:Quiz bowl isn't a valid enough religion? Some might differ on that...
I suggest shooting those people in the face.
Agent Smith
Lulu

Post by Agent Smith »

Anyone from FL going to either Rickards or that Embry-Riddle Tournament?

I doot EHS will go to the former...
Agent Smith
Lulu

Post by Agent Smith »

Dolemite wrote:
NoahMinkCHS wrote:Quiz bowl isn't a valid enough religion? Some might differ on that...
I suggest shooting those people in the face.
There aren't any "begats" in the NAQT rule book, are there? :lol:
SPIRITdrummer6
Lulu

Post by SPIRITdrummer6 »

MCDoug wrote:What's the contact for Valencia's Tourny, we hadnt heard anything about it until now. We may be able to go to that.
You can contact Chris Borglum at (407) 299-5000 ext. 6869 or at [email protected] or Lois McNamara at (407) 299-5000 ext. 1437. Since Mike wasn't at practice today we still haven't decided which tournament we will be going to. My other teammates have problems because of Val. Day *hint of cynicism*. At practice Vanguard was erased from our "Potential Tournaments" list, so I'm not sure if we're going or not.

When is the Rickards tournament and who do we contact? Taylor went last year and we really enjoyed it.
Gerard Massey
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Yea, I think that LAMP might go to NAQT if we can scrounge up enough cash and if everybody wants to. I was born in Houston and lived there until I was 12, so maybe we could pull a Martin County and just stay in my friends' houses, maybe not. Anyway, I know we're going to ASCN in Chicago (we go every year that we qualify). But if we somehow win the ASCA state championship, then we're gonna go to Panasonic and represent bama, oh well.
Agent Smith
Lulu

Post by Agent Smith »

"When is the Rickards tournament and who do we contact? " -SPIRITDrummer6

Probably their president. I don't know her e-mail; but I think Mr. Musgrove does. It's on the 3rd of April...
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

Just stumbled upon this thread while sitting at home on the tail end of a case of pneumonia ... in reference to the Valencia CC tournament on Feb 14th, I believe it's exclusively for CC teams. It's a CC qualifier for the NAQT ICT. And now, of course, it's about 38 hours away, so it would be too late to admit teams into the field. I think the last mention of this was 9 days ago, so my reply is rather outdated. Some collegiate tournaments in Florida will accept a couple of HS teams if there's room, but not this time, since it's an NAQT ICT qualifier for these teams (and more importantly, since the field is full). Valencia probably does the best job of running collegiate tournaments of any college in Florida, but their CC tournaments always have a pretty full CC field, relative to the number of classrooms and staffers available.

--Raj Dhuwalia
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05