Possible Fall Tournament at James Monroe

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
intothenegs
Wakka

Possible Fall Tournament at James Monroe

Post by intothenegs » Tue May 20, 2008 10:52 pm

James Monroe High School will tentatively be holding a tournament this November. We're located in Fredericksburg, VA, a convenient hour away from both Richmond, VA and Washington DC. This is just to gauge interest and see if any teams would want to attend such a tournament. It will most likely be house-written in the form of 20/20 Tossups and Bonuses.

We haven't decided on an exact date yet, but if there is enough interest, we will probably go ahead and run this.
Chuhern Hwang
James Monroe High School Class of 2009
University of Virginia Class of 2013

Galstaff, Sorceror of Light
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Possible Fall Tournament at James Monroe

Post by Galstaff, Sorceror of Light » Wed May 21, 2008 5:44 pm

Maggie Walker generally makes an effort to attend inaugural tournaments in the area. I can't speak definitively, but our team would most likely be interested.
Sam (Sarah Angelo) Luongo,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
President, PACE
Member, ACF

I'm a goff (in case you couldn't tell)
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by I'm a goff (in case you couldn't tell) » Wed May 21, 2008 5:45 pm

Depending on logistics, I'd be willing to make the drive up from Richmond to help staff. I could probably coerce a few other experienced folks to come along, as well.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS

intothenegs
Wakka

Post by intothenegs » Wed May 21, 2008 10:22 pm

GoffmanProphecies wrote:Depending on logistics, I'd be willing to make the drive up from Richmond to help staff. I could probably coerce a few other experienced folks to come along, as well.
Thanks! Any help would definitely be greatly appreciated; we've never run our own tournament before, and we're still trying to learn/find out how to go about running one.
Chuhern Hwang

Howard
Yuna

Post by Howard » Thu May 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Definite interest in this. Fredericksburg is close enough that it's an easy trip for us. On the other hand, if there is a DC or Baltimore tournament on this date, we'd probably do that tourney instead, as it would be close.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman » Thu May 22, 2008 10:06 pm

intothenegs wrote:
GoffmanProphecies wrote:Depending on logistics, I'd be willing to make the drive up from Richmond to help staff. I could probably coerce a few other experienced folks to come along, as well.
Thanks! Any help would definitely be greatly appreciated; we've never run our own tournament before, and we're still trying to learn/find out how to go about running one.
You are in the company of a lot of people who can help you through it. I also have last year's audiofile of Evan Silberman's Bootcamp "talk" on organizing tournaments from his experience.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)

STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell » Fri May 23, 2008 2:27 pm

Howard wrote:Definite interest in this. Fredericksburg is close enough that it's an easy trip for us. On the other hand, if there is a DC or Baltimore tournament on this date, we'd probably do that tourney instead, as it would be close.
I'd like to think that this can count as 'the' tournament in the greater DC/MD/VA area (I'm assuming that this isn't the long-time date for one of the MD suburb tournaments.)

As an aside, I will be happy to edit this tournament as I have done for Cave Spring. Email me for details.

Is Mr. Blackburn retiring after this year, or am I confusing things in my addled brain?
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO

intothenegs
Wakka

Post by intothenegs » Fri May 23, 2008 10:01 pm

STPickrell wrote:
Howard wrote:Definite interest in this. Fredericksburg is close enough that it's an easy trip for us. On the other hand, if there is a DC or Baltimore tournament on this date, we'd probably do that tourney instead, as it would be close.
I'd like to think that this can count as 'the' tournament in the greater DC/MD/VA area (I'm assuming that this isn't the long-time date for one of the MD suburb tournaments.)

As an aside, I will be happy to edit this tournament as I have done for Cave Spring. Email me for details.

Is Mr. Blackburn retiring after this year, or am I confusing things in my addled brain?
That would be amazing. Thanks!

As far as the date goes, I am going to talk with our coach and try and reserve our school for a Saturday, probably in November, sometime soon, and if that works out I'll post an update.

Unless I've been completely misinformed about it, Mr. Blackburn will be staying at James Monroe at least for another year.
Chuhern Hwang

segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:56 pm

RM likes decent tournaments in the D.C. area. If the price is right for our shriveled coffers, we'd try to make it.
Keith Jamieson
Richard Montgomery High School

intothenegs
Wakka

Post by intothenegs » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:54 pm

Yeah, I guess I should update this somewhat.

November is not going to work for us, so this will likely be in the winter, probably February or sometime like that. Once school starts I'll discuss this more with our coach and principal and try and set a new date.
Chuhern Hwang

Robbie Ram
Wakka

Post by Robbie Ram » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:10 pm

Depending on the date, we will seriously consider attending.

Michael P. Campana, coach/ sponsor
"It's Academic" Quiz Bowl Team
James W. Robinson, Jr. Secondary School
Fairfax, VA
Michael P. Campana
Coach/sponsor, "It's Academic" Scholastic Quiz Bowl Team
James W. Robinson, Jr. Secondary School
Fairfax, VA