CSI III (12/13/08) @ Cave Spring HS (Roanoke, VA)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
kamikaze
Rikku

CSI III (12/13/08) @ Cave Spring HS (Roanoke, VA)

Post by kamikaze »

I am happy to announce the 3rd annual Cave Spring Invitational (CSI) will take place at Cave Spring High School in scenic SW VA. Roanoke, to be exact. We've scheduled our tournament for December 13, 2008. I understand that it's close to many school's winter breaks and there's a possibility of snow but we'll make it worth your time.

The format of the untimed match will be in three rounds:
Round 1: Lightning Round - short questions, usually one or two sentence clues
Round 2: Category Round - a directed round with bouncebacks
Round 3: Pyramid Round - tossups with non-related bonuses (similar to NAQT style)

* They are in-house questions however they will be edited, once again, by the illustrious Shawn Pickrell, editor of the VHSL questions.
* We are planning on five prelim rounds with a single elimination playoff for now. However, depending on how many teams show up, we may be able to pull off a double-elimination like last year.
* It looks like we are keeping the audio and visual questions and bonuses. It seemed to go over well last year. Also, those who purchase questions will get to keep the CD of music used at the tournament.
* We're giving out hardware for the top three teams as well as individual awards (Top 4 received trophies, 5-10 receive medals; all receive bonus goodies). Yes, a special award still goes to the individual with the most negs.
* The Coaches Challenge is also back! Any coach/chaperone/reader not affiliated with Cave Spring is eligible to play. Top winners will receive trophies AND gift certificates to some wonderful national chain store. The format will be similar to last year, where all contestants do a 20-25 questions worksheet at the time of registration. The highest qualifying scores will compete in a buzzer match shortly after lunch and before the playoff announcements. Fame and glory can be yours now!
* For those of you who may be traveling and want hotel accommodations, I managed to get a deal with the Quality Inn Tanglewood. Call (540) 989-4000 and tell them you want a hotel for the "CSI". Rates are $59 per room (comes to $67.19 after tax), which is fairly cheap and it's a hotel close to our location as well as 81/581/460 and some local restaurants and a mall. They have some double rooms that you can stuff kids into it, if you want, and have some amenities. If you have any problems with reserving rooms, contact James Justis at the same number.
* The letter of invitation and registration form can be found here: http://members.cox.net/~kamikaze1/CSILetter.doc
* We are on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event ... 4671120805

Costs: $60 for the first team from each school
$40 for each subsequent team (no limit)
$15 for a hard copy of the question sets, $10 for an electronic copy
-$10 per working buzzer system
-$5 for early registration (November 13, 2008)

Registered Teams:
Auburn (1 teams, 2 buzzers)
Bassett (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Blacksburg (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Heritage (2 teams)
Honaker (1 team)
Mercersburg Academy (PA) (1 team)
North Cross (2 teams)
Raleigh Charter (NC) (2 teams, 2 buzzers)
Rappahannock County (2 teams, 2 buzzers)
Robinson (NC) (1 team)
St. Gertrude (2 teams)
TW Andrews (NC) (1 team)

Expressed Interest:

We will take registrations up until December 11th. If you want more specific information about the tournament, lodging, format or if you want to register your team(s), you can e-mail me at csquizbowl <at> yahoo <dot> com. My team and I look forward to meeting you all. Thank you.

EDIT: Upgraded preliminary announcement to more detailed information.
EDIT 2: Updated field and hotel accommodation/information.
EDIT 3-23: Updated field.
Last edited by kamikaze on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:40 am, edited 23 times in total.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
(2022 - ?) Tournament Director, Blacksburg HS
(2021 - 2022) Scholastic Bowl coach, Eastern Montgomery HS
(2005 - 2020) Scholastic Bowl coach, Cave Spring HS
First Chairman
Auron

Re: CSI III (12/13/08) @ Cave Spring HS (Roanoke, VA)

Post by First Chairman »

Hmm... technically you should have this as an event rather than a group, but hey... it works.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Oops... my bad! It is an event on Facebook. I just misspoke/mistyped in my original announcement.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

NAQT questions?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

leftsaidfred wrote:NAQT questions?
The past two years CSI has been house-written with a speed round, category round, and normal toss-up round.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Sarah beat me to it but yes, we do house-written questions. Some of our distinguished alumni do contribute to writing the questions and we then have them edited by the head honcho of VHSL quizbowl, Shawn Pickrell. Each match consists of three rounds like Sarah said. The first round is 10 speed check questions. The second round is a category round. The team behind in points gets their first choice at a one of two categories. Usually there's a theme for the categories and we're tossing around the idea of letting the teams coming to the competition vote on which theme we ought to use for our tournament. We're in the midst of compiling a list of possible themes for you all right now. Not sure if that's a good idea but if anyone wants to voice their opinion, please let me know. Finally, the last round is a pyramid round, similar to NAQT format.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

kamikaze wrote:Sarah beat me to it
...Sorry, Mr. Powers...I guess you're online more regularly now that the announcement's been posted than you have been the rest of the summer...
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

I'm pretty sure Honaker will be returning, Mr. Powers. As with the EQUINE, whether we'll have enough people to form a second team is beyond me for now. Last year's tournament was great. :grin:

Oh, and kudos to whoever wrote the category round of Pirates vs. Ninjas. I completely dominated the ninja half of the round. :lol:
Charlie Perkins
Coach - Honaker High School 2015-2021
W&M 2014
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

I love this tournament.
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:
kamikaze wrote:Sarah beat me to it
...Sorry, Mr. Powers...I guess you're online more regularly now that the announcement's been posted than you have been the rest of the summer...
No need for apologies, Sarah. I appreciate your feedback and help on the forum. I'll be more of a regular visitor when school starts up later this month. As a matter of fact, I was hoping to get your thoughts on whether or not you and your compatriots would want a say in the theme for the category round. Or would you rather be pleasantly surprised?
HHS_Charlie wrote:Oh, and kudos to whoever wrote the category round of Pirates vs. Ninjas. I completely dominated the ninja half of the round. :lol:
You're welcome. It's my favorite round, too. :P Mad props to you if you remembered Hattori Hanzo. We look forward to seeing you guys back as well.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

I can't speak for the rest of the team, but surprises are fun. If your players are having trouble deciding what to write on, then we'd be happy to provide some feedback. Otherwise, let your team have fun with their category choices. From my (limited) experience, people write more efficiently if they like/feel like they're learning from what they're doing, rather than something they really don't like.
Sam L,
PACE
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Updated original announcement with more information and keeping the thread alive. Have at it. Oh, and due to public opinion, we are keeping the Category theme a secret.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Finally got a deal (actually, the same one) on the hotel rooms. It's the same place as last year and I went ahead and posted the information up on the original announcement. Also did a very preliminary field update. Happy Halloween everybody! :twisted:
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Thread bump. Also, today is the last day to receive the early registration discount. We already have a good field forming up for this year's tournament so be sure to get your registrations in as soon as possible.

One of our team members has offered an idea that we're also bouncing around. In order to encourage people showing up early so we can get this thing running on time (and provide you with a good time), we may have a mini-Guitar Hero/Rock Band tournament in the morning. Or Super Smash Bros Melee... we don't know yet. We just have a big screen projector and sound system, waiting to be tried out. We're testing the waters with it this year and we may be able to offer prizes for it. If you're in the CSI, you get free entry into this one as well. Just show up early. If you have any opinions on it, please let me know.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

kamikaze wrote:Thread bump. Also, today is the last day to receive the early registration discount. We already have a good field forming up for this year's tournament so be sure to get your registrations in as soon as possible.

One of our team members has offered an idea that we're also bouncing around. In order to encourage people showing up early so we can get this thing running on time (and provide you with a good time), we may have a mini-Guitar Hero/Rock Band tournament in the morning. Or Super Smash Bros Melee... we don't know yet. We just have a big screen projector and sound system, waiting to be tried out. We're testing the waters with it this year and we may be able to offer prizes for it. If you're in the CSI, you get free entry into this one as well. Just show up early. If you have any opinions on it, please let me know.
Personally, it sounds like an excellent idea. I'd love to enter, but something tells me we won't make it early enough. However, may I suggest using Super Smash Bros. Brawl instead of Melee? However, some still consider Melee to require more competitive skill... :wink:
Charlie Perkins
Coach - Honaker High School 2015-2021
W&M 2014
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Hey is that Patrick Henry-Roanoke or Patrick Henry-Glade Spring? I'm guessing the former, but wanted to make sure.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

STPickrell wrote:Hey is that Patrick Henry-Roanoke or Patrick Henry-Glade Spring? I'm guessing the former, but wanted to make sure.
You're correct, Shawn. Patrick Henry (Roanoke) just started up a team this year, it seems.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
Sinneo
Kimahri

Post by Sinneo »

HHS_Charlie wrote:Personally, it sounds like an excellent idea. I'd love to enter, but something tells me we won't make it early enough. However, may I suggest using Super Smash Bros. Brawl instead of Melee? However, some still consider Melee to require more competitive skill... :wink:
I'm sure we'll get there before the tournament starts..
MLWGS-Gir wrote: If your players are having trouble deciding what to write on, then we'd be happy to provide some feedback. Otherwise, let your team have fun with their category choices. From my (limited) experience, people write more efficiently if they like/feel like they're learning from what they're doing, rather than something they really don't like.
You must ask us for this "feedback" as well, we'll tell you if the topics are satisfying to us... :grin: I must ask you Sarah--is "The Pension Grillparzer" an allusion to The World According to Garp? I read it the novel a few months back and found it comical, yet intriguing. That little anecdotal story was confusingly interesting, ya know. Anyways, just curious.
Jordon Van Dyke
Honaker High '09
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Just a quick update. We have 20-22 teams right now and we may have to cap the field at 24. If we find any more moderators who can help us out, we can expand the field to accommodate. Any team submitting registrations after the cap has been reached will be put on a wait list. It's a good field forming so far.
HHS_Charlie wrote:Personally, it sounds like an excellent idea. I'd love to enter, but something tells me we won't make it early enough. However, may I suggest using Super Smash Bros. Brawl instead of Melee? However, some still consider Melee to require more competitive skill... :wink:
Well, we basically have all the equipment for Rockband/Guitar Hero without having to search... Super Smash Bros, we have to do some scrounging. Surprisingly, nobody on the team owns it. It's not that we're going to rule it out at this point but I'd like to hear more feedback before we commit to it.
Sinneo wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote: If your players are having trouble deciding what to write on, then we'd be happy to provide some feedback. Otherwise, let your team have fun with their category choices. From my (limited) experience, people write more efficiently if they like/feel like they're learning from what they're doing, rather than something they really don't like.
You must ask us for this "feedback" as well, we'll tell you if the topics are satisfying to us... :grin:
Eh, it's moot anyway. We have the theme for our category round sorted out. As a matter of fact, questions are being thrown into packets and will be shipped off to Shawn (hopefully) later this week.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

I'm going to temporarily say that we wish to add a third team here at Rapp because we have a lot of people signed up. If this changes, I will post back here.
A.J. Collins
President of the Alabama Academic Quizbowl Team, 2010-2011

Rappahannock County High School '09
Alabama '13

This is ALABAMA QUIZBOWL!
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Interrupting to confirm to Jordan that Cameron and I named our VCU Open team The Pension Grillparzer after the short story by TS Garp. We talked our English teacher into letting us read it for a "modern novels" project...

Also, Mr. Powers, glad to hear you got the category stuff sorted out. Best of luck to you guys.
Sam L,
PACE
sageorator
Lulu

Post by sageorator »

Blacksburg is interested in coming to this. We've just had a heck of a time scrounging up enough people and with the coach being out. I hope we don't get wait listed.
John Lavender-Stott
Blacksburg High School '10
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

pretzeldude92 wrote:I'm going to temporarily say that we wish to add a third team here at Rapp because we have a lot of people signed up. If this changes, I will post back here.
I went ahead and put your new third team on the "interested" list but reserved them a spot for now. Let me know if it is a solid third team or not, AJ.
sageorator wrote:Blacksburg is interested in coming to this. We've just had a heck of a time scrounging up enough people and with the coach being out. I hope we don't get wait listed.
I went ahead and put you on the list of "interested" team. When Mrs. Costen shoots me an e-mail or you know for sure and post here, I'll go ahead and move you into the rest of the field. We're happy to see more local teams trying to do the circuit. That's for sure and we hope to see you in December.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
sageorator
Lulu

Post by sageorator »

Alright, thank you. I can now confirm that we will definitely be coming. I'm not sure if Ms. Coston will send you an email but I went ahead and emailed our registration to you. I hope that's fine and we're looking foreword to seeing you there.
John Lavender-Stott
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

I am confirm that we will be only bringing 2 teams. However, I see that this leaves you with 23 teams, so, if a SCAB team would need to be formed, then we should be able to supply players for that. But, we do not have enough for 3 teams.
A.J. Collins

Alabama '13

kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Just letting you know that we've reached our cap of 24 for now and closing the field. If we have any other teams interested, we'll keep them on the wait list. If we have enough moderators, we can expand the field to 30. So far, a great looking field with teams representing 4 different states... a first for our tournament. We're looking forward to seeing you all in a couple of weeks.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

We had a school drop out so the field is now open again. If you want to sign up some teams, let me know. Thanks.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Bob,

Do you have times set for registration and an approximate ending time for the tournament?

Thanks
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

AHS Eagles wrote:Do you have times set for registration and an approximate ending time for the tournament?
I was planning on sending you all some more details about times and parking (our lobby is getting a facelift... for some reason, they didn't do it during the summer). We are going to open registration up at 8 am and hopefully have the rules meeting and greeting at 8:45. First round starting at 9. If everything goes smoothly, we'll have you out the door by 4 pm. To encourage early registration, I think we're going to run a small Guitar Hero tournament... we're borrowing a projector, a big screen, and a sound system to make it happen. I think we may be able to have some prizes as well but we have to do some research into that.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

With 18 teams, is it safe to assume round robin with 3 groups of 6?
A.J. Collins

Alabama '13

sageorator
Lulu

Post by sageorator »

I believe that they were going to try to do a Swiss system. I'm not sure if they will still try to do that.

Just a heads up, though admittedly late. We may not be able to bring a buzzer, we will bring the extra $10 instead. I'm terribly sorry about this, even more so if it messes anything up, I take full responsibility.
John Lavender-Stott
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

pretzeldude92 wrote:With 18 teams, is it safe to assume round robin with 3 groups of 6?
You are correct, sir!
sageorator wrote:I believe that they were going to try to do a Swiss system. I'm not sure if they will still try to do that.
We were planning to do Swiss pairing but as we started hemorrhaging teams we just decided to keep it simple. When we hit the magic number 18, we decided to keep it simple. And no worries about the buzzers, I think we're still good.

Sorry for not updating you sooner... I've been dosing up on cold medicine and dealing with last minute details. We're ready to go and we have breakfast prepared for you. Plus, get here early and you get to play in our Guitar Hero: World Tour tournament! We look forward to seeing you all soon.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Quick results:

Raleigh Charter A defeated Rappahannock Co. A in the finals.
Heritage defeated Blacksburg to win 3rd place.

In the Coach's Challenge, the Raleigh Charter coaches took 1st and 2nd with St. Gertrude's coach finishing 3rd. Mercersburg Academy's coach came in 4th.

Thor from Heritage was the individual top scorer after prelims and I believe he came in 2nd in our Guitar Hero tournament. Although we didn't get a prize for the winner of that tournament, I figured he needed a shout out on the forums for an epic battle during lunch. The winner was Tyler from Rappahannock Co. I guess anyway who brings his own guitar has to be taken quite seriously.

More details will be pending. I have to enter in the last score sheets from the final round. I hope to have the stats posted by some time tomorrow. For now, I'm going to take some NyQuil and crash. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves and found their way back home safely. Thanks for coming!
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

I would like to say that this tournament was very well run. After the delays, everything ran smoothly. There were a couple of repeats in questions, of course, but the questions were of appropriate difficulty. 2nd place isn't bad. Our match against Raleigh Charter was close after two rounds (we were up 110-85), but I figured that they were gonna rock us in the pyramidal round and they did (outscored us 215 - 40).

Tyler is very serious about his Guitar Hero, and he was far more worried about this part of the day than any other. I think he is nationally ranked or something.
A.J. Collins

Alabama '13

DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

We also had a very good time, though making the trip from Concord in one day was a little bit brutal, especially in the morning. We definitely hope to return in the future.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
sageorator
Lulu

Post by sageorator »

I would like to thank Mr. Powers again for having us and hosting this tournament. Other than the initial delay and some typical stuff it was well run and went smoothly. The questions, for the most part, were good and of appropriate difficulty.

Congratulations to everyone who placed and/or won an individual prize.

Personally I feel good about how well we did. 4th is pretty good being shorthanded and without a coach, especially the intense victory over Honaker. Although we have yet to get over the large hump that is Rappahannock, I think we're getting better.

I guess I'll see Cave Spring on January 6th, as I believe it is.
John Lavender-Stott
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Great tournament. I had not anticipated that GH would be such a spectator sport, but the lunch battle was epic. Anyone who kicks off with "Hot for Teacher" has some onions.

Raleigh Charter had a great time and I'm hoping that my undertaking a pilgramage to Ronde Barber's high school will help the Bucs in Atlanta today.
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Stats are here: http://members.cox.net/~kamikaze1/2008Stats.xls

I will be e-mailing the copy of the questions to coaches who ordered them soon. All the coaches will be e-mailed these stats.

If anybody has any criticisms or comments about the questions or moderators, you can e-mail them at csquizbowl at yahoo dot com or post on the forums. We're always looking for ways to improve ourselves and provide everyone with a better playing experience. We tried to take the critiques from last year to heart and make the appropriate changes with the questions and moderators. Sorry about the repeats. I was hoping that either my kids, Shawn and I would catch them. Also have to apologize for some of the technical difficulties that may have occurred with the audio questions. I heard some the CD players or CD itself didn't work. I thought we had checked them all but apparently not. However, we did include spare questions to replace those tossups if they needed it.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
sageorator
Lulu

Post by sageorator »

Do you have individual stats? No pressure or anything.
John Lavender-Stott
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

sageorator wrote:Do you have individual stats? No pressure or anything.
Yup, they are all in the same Excel spreadsheet. I made three tabs. One for the playoff brackets, another to keep track of individual stats, and the third for the prelim matches and seeding.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

I was looking down the scoresheets, and a couple of things caught my eye:

A) We scored 425 against Heritage B, not 525. I told the scorer that when I was signing the sheet, but I guess she didn't change it?
B) In our match against Bassett A, the 5 tossups attributed to Tyler from my team are actually mine. Not a big deal, I guess, since it doesn't affect anything, but that is what I have on my scoresheets.

One suggestion for next year would be to not have single elimination if it can be avoided. All of our moderators were great, although B team says their first moderator did the category round incorrectly, as though it were VHSL and the categories were A and B, not the two holidays.
A.J. Collins

Alabama '13

kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

pretzeldude92 wrote:A) We scored 425 against Heritage B, not 525. I told the scorer that when I was signing the sheet, but I guess she didn't change it?
B) In our match against Bassett A, the 5 tossups attributed to Tyler from my team are actually mine. Not a big deal, I guess, since it doesn't affect anything, but that is what I have on my scoresheets.
Noted and fixed. Thanks.
pretzeldude92 wrote:One suggestion for next year would be to not have single elimination if it can be avoided. All of our moderators were great, although B team says their first moderator did the category round incorrectly, as though it were VHSL and the categories were A and B, not the two holidays.
We're always open for suggestions. The main reason why it was single-elimination was due to the number of packets on hand. I think we realized that 8 is just a bare minimum to run an OK tournament. What we plan on doing next year is either 1) at least writing 10 packets or 2) outsourcing our questions. Regardless of what we decide, next year, we will try to fix this.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School