Missouri 08-09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: Missouri 08-09

Post by Matt Weiner »

ReinsteinD wrote:So what you're all saying is that, if MSHSAA disappeared, teams throughout Missouri would recognize the superiority of good quizbowl and stop playing bad quizbowl? Do you realize that they use a four-quarter format because coaches want it that way and that if lots of coaches felt otherwise the format would change?
Yes, it's understood that a vocal group of coaches of bad teams want to cripple their competition instead of getting better, and have used their position on the advisory board to pass backroom rules that essentially make it illegal to try to improve. That is, in fact, the problem we are discussing here.
I realize I'm on the verge of setting up a strawman here, but let's be realistic about what would happen if MSHSAA dropped quizbowl. Some teams would cease to exist, including a small number of decent ones, and a lot of teams would continue to play bad quizbowl and like it.
Hey, the "anything that improves participation is good" argument: still dumb. The logical conclusion of what you are saying here is that we should just play softball and call it quizbowl. Then every school would have a team, with 30 people on it! Wow, look at all that participation! Let's give ourselves some awards for being such great evangelists!

The reality is that if you're not playing good quizbowl, there's no point in playing at all. Good questions and good formats encourage you to LEARN THINGS, which is the point of this activity. Bad questions and formats reduce to nothing more than reflex tests, math contests, and rewards for trying to make psychic connections with the writer. School-sponsored Trivial Pursuit serves absolutely no purpose, and increasing participating in it is no achievement. Real quizbowl does have a reason to exist, and if Missouri has 80 teams playing that in the future rather than 200 teams playing what they have now, then they will have 80 more teams who are getting a benefit out of the activity than they presently do.

Also, please tell noted states without any regulatory power on their high school teams Maryland, Virginia, Minnesota, Michigan, Texas, North Carolina, and Georgia that they have poor participation in high school quizbowl and are being elitist or whatever your "what the coaches want" argument is supposed to be arguing towards. They will laugh at you. Note also that in addition to Pennsylvania and South Carolina, which don't have as much participation but are likewise unregulated, those states have produced EVERY real national champion. It's not a coincidence.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

William Lloyd Garrison wrote:Living or dying, defeated or victorious, be it ours to exclaim, "No compromise with slavery! Liberty for each, for all, forever! Man above all institutions!"
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Not only have all national champions come from unregulated states, note that those national champions have a history of doing things that MSHSAA specifically bans, like going to college tournaments (AS A TEAM) (see: TJ '05, some State College team John told me about) and (for the love of god of course) traveling more than arbitrary distance x to go to tournaments. The MSHSAA isn't just guilty of existing while other states have gone on their merry ways winning championships. They've enacted measures that discourage teams from getting good and make it harder for them to win!

EDIT: Magin, did you quote that just for me?
Andrew Watkins
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Debate operates under similar restrictions to quizbowl, with the caveat that they have greater freedom and motivation to attend national tournaments, and they have a one tournament exception to the travel ban, I believe. I know NKC went to Harvard's debate tournament last year. However, the crux of my argument is that all the non-MSHSAA activities seem to be doing just fine without MSHSAA's interference.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Is it because the makeup of the representatives involved with MO HS debate is more interested in competing nationally than those who are in charge of quiz bowl in MO?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)

Well, as long as bad quizbowl permeates the state we'll never know.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Understood... it just makes a difference regarding any real progress towards change. Sad to say that democracy and majority rules in many organizations, so knowing how amenable they are to change is something that needs to be kept in mind.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

"And my friends, that's not change we can believe in. [awkward smirk and laugh]"
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
carpenoctem
Lulu

Post by carpenoctem »

marnold wrote:This is back farther up, but I think it's worth addressing.
everyday847 wrote:Yeah, Missouri debate is really healthy. Neosho HS was fourth and Parkview HS was seventh in 2006-2007 in one of nflonline's overall rankings. That means that they have large clubs of very skilled debaters, for the uninitiated. Springfield Central HS and Neosho HS won a national award for excellence in debate events. SCHS had a policy team semi; Parkview had an LD debater make it to essentially octos. Three MO public forum teams were in the top fourteen, and one octo'ed, one quartered. There was a MO finalist in extemp commentary.

You know what separates successful debate teams from mediocre ones? They go on lots of out-of-state trips. If you don't go to "national circuit" tournaments, like Yale, Harvard, Glenbrooks, etc., you're extremely unlikely to do well when the national finals come around. The only reason that Missouri is competitive in debate over the last several years is because these restrictions have not been applied to it. The reason that Missouri has been competitive in quiz bowl over the last several years is Charlie Dees.
Um, no: you're wrong. (EDIT: I missed Charlie pointing this out already. The other paragraphs are still unique, though.) Missouri debate has the same restrictions as quizbowl in terms of competing within state borders. Missouri teams can barely get to Glenbrooks and I think the Ohio Valley tournaments, but nothing else with TOC bids.

The angle to take is that Missouri debate does way, way worse in certain events than it should. In events where no real difference exists between National Circuit/TOC style and the local style (PF and IEs, for example), Missouri absolutely throttles the competition - my year I think Missouri closed out sems of PF. In events where good debaters travel and compete on a higher level, Missouri lags well behind states that have equivalently vibrant local circuits. Houston, Dallas, the Twin Cities, the Bay Area, Boston all have local circuits with the same amount of dedicated teams as Missouri but do FAR better in events like CX and LD where traveling to bid tournaments is worthwhile: the numbers you cited for their policy teams and LDers is way behind the powerhouse areas and roughly the same as my state of Colorado with an abysmal local circuit.

So the conclusion is this: when Missouri has a local circuit of the equivalent level to the rest of the country it owns up, but it is at a significant disadvantage when it prevents teams from accessing the national circuit where one exists. Since quizbowl is pretty obviously in the latter category, they should (1) bring the tournament quality up to the level of the rest of the country and (2) allow their good teams to go to quality tournaments elsewhere in the country.
Agreed. Missouri debate is anything but healthy, at least by standards of the national circuit. In fact, it's rather a similar situation to quiz bowl. Missouri is stifled from competing nationally because of MSHSAA rules, but even if these restrictions were removed, a lot of teams would probably still not compete on the national circuit. For one, it's very cost prohibitive: Missouri debate teams tend to be much larger due to the emphasis on individual events and Public Forum, and entry fees and travel fees are often viewed as too expensive for a tournament that not even the whole team can go to. Additionally, a very large portion of debate coaches in Missouri are resistant to the speedy National Circuit policy type debate, which prevents change.

The problem in these instances is that I'm not really sure how feasible it is to remove MSHSAA from governing quiz bowl and debate. It seems like MSHSAA has a rather large stranglehold on activities and sports that would be rather hard to escape. I can't see MSHSAA just relinquishing control to a coaches' association, and in the event that there was a splinter group of teams that broke off of MSHSAA to compete at national tournaments, etc., they would probably have to compete with no affiliation or financial support from their school at all, or else their school would face MSHSAA sanctions.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

carpenoctem wrote:The problem in these instances is that I'm not really sure how feasible it is to remove MSHSAA from governing quiz bowl and debate. It seems like MSHSAA has a rather large stranglehold on activities and sports that would be rather hard to escape. I can't see MSHSAA just relinquishing control to a coaches' association, and in the event that there was a splinter group of teams that broke off of MSHSAA to compete at national tournaments, etc., they would probably have to compete with no affiliation or financial support from their school at all, or else their school would face MSHSAA sanctions.
I'm not saying that it's likely that they will--it's reasonable that you can't see them relinquishing control. But they ought to do so, and that's what I'm arguing. I'm not considering the possibility of a splinter group of teams. I'm not calling for schools to leave; I'm calling for the MSHSAA to do so.
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

So it's been almost a week after August 6th, Mr. Gibbs. I'm assuming you haven't posted here because there's been a putsch?
Andrew Watkins

Oh god.
Questions Galore got the MSHSAA contract.
This is awful.

cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Deesy Does It wrote:Oh god.
Questions Galore got the MSHSAA contract.
This is awful.
Ouch.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

My heart goes out to you, the people of Missouri.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

Today we are all Missourians.
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Does anyone know how many other bids were submitted? A poor choice, to be sure.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Sorry to crash your thread, but I have some experience with Questions Galore:

You would be SHOCKED at how low Questions Galore bids. No one is going to beat them price-wise unless they are doing it for free.

But, you definitely get what you pay for.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)

Yeah, last year it was less than $30 per round, when the other reasonable bidders were around $75 I think, and one awful bidder was $300.

Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

tear.
Tennyson wrote:Tears from the depth of some divine despair/ Rise in the heart, and gather to the eyes
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

Pennsylvania's thoughts and prayers go out to Missouri.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

just wondering, how does parkway central usually do at tournaments?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so

They won MSHSAA state in 2004 and got second in 2003 and 2005. Ever since then they've been middling at tournaments like Wash U and haven't won their district.

Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

=[ so no chance of them going to nats?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so

Here are responses from regional meetings to the proposal about the "Charlie Dees rule"
6. Academic Competition -- To restrict nonschool competition during the season.
Smith-Cotton (Central District): Is this an issue? Put some sportsmanship rules in. Discipline that child. If one
advisory does this for an activity then other activities may. Could academic competition reduce the season time
line? if you can discipline this student then do, if not maybe this should change. 100% against this.
Moberly (Northeast District): Not a big concern. All about kids getting smart. 100% opposed to restricting
nonschool academic competition.
Blue Springs South (Kansas City District): Struggle to field teams, if the advisory committee recommended
something to better the activity we should support them. Would this be more restrictive and cause fewer to
participate? It would be difficult to say kids are learning too much. 100% oppose.
Waynesville (South Central District): Let them have fun and go do whatever they want. 100% in favor lf letting
them do what they want.
South Harrison (Northwest District): Athletics is safety.
McCluer South-Berkeley (St. Louis District): Trivia nights - policy. Limit academic knowledge. 100% opposed.
Republic (Southwest District): No comment. 100%opposed.
Dexter (Southeast District): Would this affect Beta or local trivia nights? Why not? Here for academics. 100%
opposed.
Remember, the rule isn't in place yet, so if these responses hold out, this could be a very good sign.

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

That's looking pretty awesome.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

The system, it's working! That's very heartening to hear. I hope Illinois' coaches will submit similar responses on similarly silly proposals to get rid of pyramidal questions and part-by-part rebounding on bonuses.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

al3xWal3x wrote:=[ so no chance of them going to nats?
Parkway Central is actually doing very well this year in terms of playing good Quiz Bowl--they took 3rd at WUHSAC and tied for 3rd with us (Francis Howell Central) at the NAQT Qualifier, as well as placing 1st at Mizzou's Tiger Bowl--and this is all with incomplete teams. They have bids for both the HSNCT and PACE NSC--I think they're just looking for the money to attend.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
pinkycook

Post by pinkycook »

Sir Thopas wrote:crap why did i let myself get sucked into this
Huh? what is this about?

It's about him getting into an argument on the moquizbowl.com board. Now who are you again?

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

For those who are curious, the MSHSAA State results are at http://champs.mshsaa.org/results/box.as ... ore_ID=352.

Personally, I think Ladue (which took 1st at MSHSAA State) falls in strength between the extremes presented in the argument that was going on at AHAN. Had they had a full team at NAQT State, they probably would have beaten out Parkway Central, but fallen to us (since PCH beat us in a fluke occurrence), taking 4th. In that case, the only team the questions (as opposed to the format) upset at MSHSAA State would be NKC, since NKC was the only team that beat Ladue at the Qualifier which was also at MSHSAA State.

Of course, the MSHSAA District/Sectional system which kept teams like us, Parkway Central, and Savannah (3rd, 3rd, and 2nd at NAQT State) from going to State made State an extremely poor determinant of the top teams in Missouri this year except for 1st/2nd.

Incidentally, I think Clayton's definitely a rising power in Missouri, especially given that I think Charlie is grooming some of their players (which shows--the guy from their team who was the 3rd highest scorer at State was 10th at the NAQT Qualifier.
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
paxhispanica
Kimahri

Post by paxhispanica »

Ikshu is good. I definitely expect Clayton to be a(n even greater) contender in the coming years.
carpenoctem
Lulu

Post by carpenoctem »

Charbroil wrote:For those who are curious, the MSHSAA State results are at http://champs.mshsaa.org/results/box.as ... ore_ID=352.

Personally, I think Ladue (which took 1st at MSHSAA State) falls in strength between the extremes presented in the argument that was going on at AHAN. Had they had a full team at NAQT State, they probably would have beaten out Parkway Central, but fallen to us (since PCH beat us in a fluke occurrence), taking 4th. In that case, the only team the questions (as opposed to the format) upset at MSHSAA State would be NKC, since NKC was the only team that beat Ladue at the Qualifier which was also at MSHSAA State.

Of course, the MSHSAA District/Sectional system which kept teams like us, Parkway Central, and Savannah (3rd, 3rd, and 2nd at NAQT State) from going to State made State an extremely poor determinant of the top teams in Missouri this year except for 1st/2nd.

Incidentally, I think Clayton's definitely a rising power in Missouri, especially given that I think Charlie is grooming some of their players (which shows--the guy from their team who was the 3rd highest scorer at State was 10th at the NAQT Qualifier.
Yeah, I was in no way trying to imply we would have won NAQT State with Marc, but rather was objecting to Charlie linking to those results without providing any type of context. With Marc at NAQT State, I think we would have had a pretty good chance of beating Parkway Central, and might have had a shot at Savannah, given we lost to them on a neg on tossup 20, but probably still would have lost to FHC and NKC.

EDIT: It's probably also important to note that Parkway Central was missing Jason Liang at NAQT State as well. But I mean, Liang's a scrub anyway. :wink:
Jack Chen, Ladue Horton Watkins HS
NKCtrashman
Lulu

Post by NKCtrashman »

For all of you non-Missourians this tourney (and districts and sectionals)was an absolute joke (Kwesschuuhnzz Guhhlllloorrre). This tournament has virtually no meaning.
Brandon Roney

North Kansas City High School '09
State Champs 07, 08, 09
University of Missouri '13
NKCtrashman
Lulu

Post by NKCtrashman »

Charlie was not in the wrong for not mentioning that you did not have your third highest scorer at NAQT State.
Brandon Roney

North Kansas City High School '09
State Champs 07, 08, 09
University of Missouri '13
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Disingenuous was probably the wrong word to use there--I do apologize for implying that it was an intentinoal omission. My point was that it was incongruous to compare Ladue's performance at the NAQT Qualifier & MSHSAA State--especially because the margins between the top several teams were extremely slim (as shown by our defeat of NKC yet eventual 3rd place finish).

Edit: I talked about something else being disingenuous. Whereas that was the wrong word to use there also (since no implication of intent was intended), it has no bearing on this situation.
Charles Hang

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Missouri Teams at HSNCT (Cross-posted from moquizbowl.com):

Francis Howell Central 7-3 (1-2 playoffs)
North Kansas City 5-5
Savannah 5-5
Parkway Central High 5-5
Truman 5-5
Tarkio 5-5 (0-2 small school playoffs)
Liberty 4-6
Glasgow 4-6 (0-2 small school playoffs)
Charles Hang