Who will win the State in Georgia?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Who will win Georgia

Poll ended at Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:14 pm

Brookwood
39%
Milton (asclipius)
32%
Walton
21%
Parkview (yeah right!)
7%

Total votes: 28

Wasatch
Kimahri

Who will win the State in Georgia?

Post by Wasatch »

Who do you think will win?
ManiacalClown
Lulu

Post by ManiacalClown »

In the event of Brookwood not making it to the final, there will be a Barry-led steel chair run-in in full support of the heel team.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

I'd say Brookwood has been the strongest of those teams this year, though Milton has been impressive as well. I can't remember their head-to-head record, but with two good teams, anything can happen. Walton is solid but I think will be much better next year.

BUT! One further note... I think we should clarify by saying this is Georgia Class AAAAA. There are still four other state titles (A-AAAA) on the line in Macon (well, actually near Macon, but let's not get technical) on March 20th. Central-Macon, for one, will be playing in AAA; there are no names anyone here would be familiar with in our division, but we always have surprises...

Also, unlike some other states (Arkansas, one that I know of), we have no overall state title, so there will be 5 undisputed state champions coming out of that tournament. Potential interclass matchups will have to wait for Nationals, if that.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

I predict Brookwood will show up for the 5A State Tournament.

I predict that Central-Macon will win 3A state title in GA.

I predict that Savannah Country Day will win the 1A state title.

4A is a tossup...Heritage, Woodward?

I have not doen my 2A homework.
ManiacalClown
Lulu

Post by ManiacalClown »

Yes, Arkansas is strange.

The Arkansa Activities Association regulates the 5 official state tournaments run by the Arkansas Governor's Quiz Bowl Association, but then AGQBA through a deal with Arkasas Educational Television Network runs their own tournament consisting of the winners and runners-up for each of the 5 classes that is taped in a studio, with the final 3 matches shown live.

Might be a webcast again this year.
MiltonPlayer47
Wakka

Post by MiltonPlayer47 »

I think that Brookwood will be our toughest competition in 5A. However, Walton is really good too. I would not count out Parkview, either. If they are able to get a team together, they WILL be contenders.
Steven Hanley
FSU (2004-2006)
UGA (2007-2009)
kelli
Lulu

Post by kelli »

mostly the same as Florida, three seperate division state championship titles...
ihatenicksaban
Lulu

Post by ihatenicksaban »

Chattahoochee always has a chance. Last year i never thought they would make it past the first round of the playoffs at state, then they kicked the living crap out of us. They have a remarkable ability to improve over the course of the year and since i haven't seen them recently i would have to put them in the running. Perhaps they engage in that studying thing Mr. Barry mentions from time to time.

edit: Nice self-effacing humor with that asclepius mention.
ChopinManiac
Lulu

Post by ChopinManiac »

Seriously, that asclepius question was not funny. Okay, maybe it was, but still, I think state this year will be extremely exciting. Of course I, just like everyone else, expects central-macon to take their division's championship, but for 5A i think the top 4 will probably come down to Milton, Brookwood, Walton and Chatahoochee. As has been proven before, anything can happen, but I think that if these 4 teams make it to the semi's it will be an exciting finish.

-Chopin
wasprsilds
Lulu

But.....

Post by wasprsilds »

There's always the Lowndes team that has yet to see competition. And being the fifth largest high school in Georgia we do have some talent. :)
harshrealm
Lulu

Post by harshrealm »

My vote goes to the guys over at Snellville, but I would also expect Milton to put up a good fight.
"Our greatest glory lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
ChopinManiac
Lulu

Post by ChopinManiac »

Just here to pose a question as to who will be attending the Woodward tourney. Milton is planning to go sans one of their starters and I was just wondering who else might be planning to attend, considering this will most likely be a smaller tourney. Thx

-Chopin
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Brookwood will have 2 JV teams at Woodward, but our varsity was previously committed to play at the SC Quizarama (Irmo HS).
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

There's a Woodward tourney? For high schools? News to me...

Guess somebody didn't get invited to the party... :oops:
jeffburns1
Lulu

Woodward

Post by jeffburns1 »

Noah,
She just sent out invitations about a month ago --- via email, I think, don't know how much snail mail she did. But the info is on the tournament calendar for February at http://www.gataquizbowl.org/

Varsity and JV. She may have meant to keep the fields rather small since she hasn't had a tournament in a while.
ChopinManiac
Lulu

Post by ChopinManiac »

NoahMink CHS,

If your team can go you should try and contact woodward to go. I would love to play you guys there seeing as how we have not seen each other yet this year.

-Chopin
harshrealm
Lulu

Post by harshrealm »

We'll be there, but we're losing two kids from varsity to Science Bowl state.
"Our greatest glory lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
ihatenicksaban
Lulu

Post by ihatenicksaban »

Science bowl, what a worthy endeavor...