High School Themed Tournaments?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

High School Themed Tournaments?

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

Now remembering the literature singles tournament at Weekend of Quizbowl, I was wondering if there was any possibilty of running any high school theme tournaments in the future like History, Geography, Science, etc...?
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Re: High School Themed Tournaments?

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Are you referring to side events or entire tournaments? Or to something with themed rounds, such as This Tournament Goes to 11?
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

It doesn't matter what type of tournament it is whether it involves individual rounds or entire tournaments.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I'm pretty sure he means subject area tournaments.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Side events seem more likely than whole tournaments. Chris Ray mentioned the possibility of 2 side events at Weekend of Quizbowl this year... I don't know that side events are that practical outside of 2-3 day tournaments like that and nationals. They involve teams arriving the Friday night the day before or staying late on Saturday, and many schools tend to like to leave. Really it would depend on field size and the number of people traveling long distances to a tournament/their travel schedules, as well as the projected end time of the main event.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

The issue with high school subject tournaments is that you'd be hard pressed to find people to write them. If you limit the subject to just the high school canon and maybe a little above it, then you're not going to be able to have a ton of interesting answer choices (and these tossups would probably be better served as tossups in real tournaments anyways). If you increase the difficulty to create more interesting answers, then you might as well just make it an open event and invite high school players.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I do a themed high school tournament, which is High School Celebrity Shoot. It is not meant to be pure quizbowl, and it doesn't even use buzzers! It is meant as an entree for some of the more timid teams to getting some interest in competing. Celebrity Shoot is biography-only across the curriculum (lit, hist, science, fine arts, etc.) with much more sports and entertainment replacing calculation questions (of course). It is a mixed team and individual competition which I've run since 1995. It is a whole-day event. Difficulty level spans from easy/entry-level to intermediate (maybe higher than an NAQT A set?).

If you are interested, I hope my hosts at Case and Duke will post something. There is interest in Minnesota to try it out as well.

And if anyone not in high school wants to help, please let me know.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

First Chairman wrote:I do a themed high school tournament, which is High School Celebrity Shoot. It is not meant to be pure quizbowl, and it doesn't even use buzzers! It is meant as an entree for some of the more timid teams to getting some interest in competing. Celebrity Shoot is biography-only across the curriculum (lit, hist, science, fine arts, etc.) with much more sports and entertainment replacing calculation questions (of course). It is a mixed team and individual competition which I've run since 1995. It is a whole-day event. Difficulty level spans from easy/entry-level to intermediate (maybe higher than an NAQT A set?).

If you are interested, I hope my hosts at Case and Duke will post something. There is interest in Minnesota to try it out as well.

Somehow I don't think that's what Zach was asking about. At all.

Ted Gioia and co. ran an excellent lit singles at Weekend of Quizbowl last year. I don't know how that's escaped notice in this thread for so long, but it was run.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I don't know if it escaped discussion, but if we're thinking about running a themed tournament over March 15 weekend at Mason, that would be fun to reprise if anyone wanted to do it.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

metsfan001 wrote:
First Chairman wrote:I do a themed high school tournament, which is High School Celebrity Shoot. It is not meant to be pure quizbowl, and it doesn't even use buzzers! It is meant as an entree for some of the more timid teams to getting some interest in competing. Celebrity Shoot is biography-only across the curriculum (lit, hist, science, fine arts, etc.) with much more sports and entertainment replacing calculation questions (of course). It is a mixed team and individual competition which I've run since 1995. It is a whole-day event. Difficulty level spans from easy/entry-level to intermediate (maybe higher than an NAQT A set?).

Somehow I don't think that's what Zach was asking about. At all.

Ted Gioia and co. ran an excellent lit singles at Weekend of Quizbowl last year. I don't know how that's escaped notice in this thread for so long, but it was run.
Um, Guy, see the first post. That's what inspired Zach's question. I, for one, would love to play that again this year if it exists. And I agree that Celebrity Shoot-out doesn't sound like what Zach's looking for. The two side events Chris mentioned getting for WoQ this year could quite possibly be the only hs ones this year, for reasons mentioned above. Anyway, Zach, if you do manage to find a theme tournament, be aware that the difficulty level is likely to be decently high. I really don't think that a one day tournament other than Celebrity Shoot Out would be capable of hosting a subject-area side event. I can see one round during lunch being possible, but that doesn't seem like it would be worth it.
Sam L,
PACE
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:Um, Guy, see the first post. That's what inspired Zach's question.
I LOSE
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Please tell me I'm not the only person who, at first, parsed this thread as "Tournaments with Answers that are High Schools."
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

alkrav112 wrote:Please tell me I'm not the only person who, at first, parsed this thread as "Tournaments with Answers that are High Schools."
I have bad news for you.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

alkrav112 wrote:Please tell me I'm not the only person who, at first, parsed this thread as "Tournaments with Answers that are High Schools."
You aren't alone.
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

JohnGlerum wrote:You aren't alone.
I just thought they were tournaments directed to High Schoolers... which I thought was strange to ask about.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Outside of WOQ, which would have trouble running a themed tournament on Saturday night unless the main tournament was organized, probably the best way to do it would be to have a shortened main tournament. With power matching, you could run a good tournament in five or six rounds, leaving the afternoon for some themes. It would be bad if the entire circuit headed in that direction, but it might be good if a place with an active circuit had one tournament like that. If you're going to play in ten tournaments over the course of the year, having one afternoon devoted to a single subject probably would be a good thing, especially if you could choose from among two or more themes.

Last year, Illinois hosted a tournament for individuals after NAQT State. It wasn't a theme tournament, but it could have been. Having it at night, however, makes it for die-hards only, since most coaches do not want to register for a tournament that starts close to dinner time. The person who really needs to be die-hard is the Tournament Director, since getting enough questions and moderators would be a challenge in addition to combining the registrations with the team registrations.

The topics might not be exactly the same as college topics, since Social Science would be a stretch and RMP probably would end up having a lot of Greek Mythology. However, Literature, Science, History, Social Studies (ie History/Current Events/Geography/Social Science), Humanities (ie Fine Arts & Literature), or Computational Math (c'mon, it's a side tournament) would all work fine.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)

Computational Math (c'mon, it's a side tournament)
Doesn't matter.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Reinstein, if you ever run a computational math-themed tournament, I will deny ever having known you.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

I would so love a fine arts themed side event. I'll write the art history for one if I ever am in a position to push for one.
mabye more theme events at lunchtime in leiu of a coaches game? if you are willing to let the tournament run a little later and have food at the school, this could be fun. I think it actually happend at wilimington.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

jonah wrote:Reinstein, if you ever run a computational math-themed tournament, I will deny ever having known you.
I'll do so as well. I'll also play, though.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I'll need you guys to moderate before you disavow me.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

If anyone runs a computational math tournament, I swear, I'll chase you down and kick you really hard in the balls. I'm not even joking.

EDIT: And passes it off as a quizbowl tournament. Duh.
Last edited by Sir Thopas on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

metsfan001 wrote:If anyone runs a computational math tournament, I swear, I'll chase you down and kick you really hard in the balls. I'm not even joking.
I might be able to find out who hosts mathcounts for you.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Mathcounts 2009
Kimahri

Post by Mathcounts 2009 »

Ow! My balls!
Sonic the Hedgehog and the Fox
Wakka

Post by Sonic the Hedgehog and the Fox »

Mathcounts 2009 wrote:Ow! My balls!
For shaaaaame! Math didn't exist in that movie, except for when Joe told Frito that 30-20=80.

Ahem.

Well, I'd like to see more subject-area sideshows at high school events, if they can be pulled off. Especially computational math sideshows. Really complex differential equation-type computational math sideshows.
Rafe Haddox
Ex-James Island '09 (you can email me for details, if you'd like)
Tiocfaidh ár lá!
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

The likelihood of getting people to write two different high school subject tournaments is not tremendously high. Since it seems like we'll be using 1-2 sets actually written for the high school level for the main tournament(s) at WOQ instead of mirroring a college event, I think using the Illinois novice (or a similar event) for a doubles tournament and trying to get one subject tournament together would be the best way to go. If anyone has proposals for that or is interested in collaborating on something like that, shower us with your generosity I guess. Since I'll be busy writing the main event I probably won't be able to put something like that together, this year.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Personally, I think the doubles tournament should be a regular-difficulty tournament, not a novice one.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

metsfan001 wrote:Personally, I think the doubles tournament should be a regular-difficulty tournament, not a novice one.
I would freelance a packet or two for a regular-difficulty side event. Eight packets to go!
Andrew Watkins
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

everyday847 wrote:
metsfan001 wrote:Personally, I think the doubles tournament should be a regular-difficulty tournament, not a novice one.
I would freelance a packet or two for a regular-difficulty side event. Eight packets to go!
Err, by regular difficulty, I mean the college version, not the HS version. Just to make it clear.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

metsfan001 wrote:
everyday847 wrote:
Err, by regular difficulty, I mean the college version, not the HS version. Just to make it clear.
I write all too much HS regular difficulty. I'm also an awful judge of HS regular difficulty because my knowledge back then deep in some areas and nonexistent in others. I can handle college regular difficulty a bit better.
Andrew Watkins

I personally like the idea of just mirroring some college tournament for such a side event, like how they were using MLK last year.

Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Deesy Does It wrote:I personally like the idea of just mirroring some college tournament for such a side event, like how they were using MLK last year.
I think the (hopefully continued) trend of good high school players playing college tournaments is going to make something like that increasingly difficult.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

It shouldn't be too hard to custom-write the doubles tournament (at whatever difficulty level is desired). You only need, at most, 200 tossups. No bonuses are necessary. Certainly 4 or 5 people could write that with basically zero effort in the over six months between now and WOQ.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

I might be willing to write part of a history singles/doubles/team/whatever side tournament for the WoQ.
Last edited by ClemsonQB on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Personally, I would love for someone to have a singles (or doubles) geography tournament. The last (and maybe only ever?) legit high school geography competition (AAA Travel Challenge) went under recently. Maybe something at a larger tournament like WoQ or a National.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

I would like to retirate my interest in a Fine Arts side event, possibly for WoQ. I would be happy to contribute questions, paticuarly visual arts questions.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

rmgeokid wrote:Personally, I would love for someone to have a singles (or doubles) geography tournament. The last (and maybe only ever?) legit high school geography competition (AAA Travel Challenge) went under recently. Maybe something at a larger tournament like WoQ or a National.
I'd be happy to write it if people really want it, but I would have to think there would be more demand for a history tournament or something of the like.

(And AAA was hardly "legit" — they broke ties in the preliminaries with coin flips, then assigned individuals to teams with random drawings, then brought out buzzers and asked hoses like "The Cliffs of Dover are in England. Where are the Cliffs of Moher?" Steven Young of TJ '04, once my geography teammate, won the inaugural AAA in part by buzzing on "Dover" in the above question with "Ireland" because he was pretty savvy from his years of playing It's Academic.)
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

I never was around to play AAATC, I heard it was pretty bad. That sounds like some terrible writing. Are there any other High School geography competitions? Maybe I just long for my GeoBee days. Just one more year.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

History would probably get really high demand. In fact, I'm demanding it right now. High school quiz bowl doesn't really need more geography.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Kyle wrote:I'd be happy to write it if people really want it, but I would have to think there would be more demand for a history tournament or something of the like.
Actually, one of my teammates says this would be his dream come true.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

rmgeokid wrote:I never was around to play AAATC, I heard it was pretty bad. That sounds like some terrible writing. Are there any other High School geography competitions? Maybe I just long for my GeoBee days. Just one more year.
No. Before my time, National Geographic used to host a project-based high school geography competition, but I think it only lasted one year and I know it wasn't very popular.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13

I think a high school geography tournament would be a disaster, just as I feel a college geography tournament would be a disaster.

Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:I think a high school geography tournament would be a disaster, just as I feel a college geography tournament would be a disaster.
all those high schoolers wending their way through dead tossups
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Clearly what we need is Kyle, Charles, Ray Anderson, and Jeff Hoppes to write 75 tossups each and create 15 rounds of 20/0 geography.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

And Dallas.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:I think a high school geography tournament would be a disaster, just as I feel a college geography tournament would be a disaster.
probably the truest thing you've said in the past 24 hours
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Sir Thopas wrote:
all those high schoolers wending their way through dead tossups
I remember playing a Charles Meigs geography theme packet once. It was quite difficult, but it was also awesome.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
intothenegs
Wakka

Post by intothenegs »

Kyle wrote: I'd be happy to write it if people really want it, but I would have to think there would be more demand for a history tournament or something of the like.
I'd play this (geography) if it happened somewhere near Virginia (like Weekend of Quizbowl). A history theme tournament would be equally awesome.
Chuhern Hwang
James Monroe High School Class of 2009
University of Virginia Class of 2013
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

The failure of a geography tournament would rest on the skill of the players. If there are at least 12 talented players, it would be fun and something I would love to participate in.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

Find me 11 skilled high school geography players. Seriously.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18