RM Fall Tournament (9/20/08)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
segregold
Wakka

RM Fall Tournament (9/20/08)

Post by segregold »

RM will (definitely) be having an NAQT tournament on September 20th, 2008. The set will be IS-77, which is exclusive to RM for Maryland and D.C. (at present, I don't think there are any tournaments in Delaware or Virginia using the set). Princeton's tournament (10/11) later in the year will be running the same set, but if you weren't planning on going to it or don't mind sending a B team, we invite teams from further away (especially TJ, Gov and State College) to attend.

Price will be $60 per team, with a $10 discount for bringing buzzers, a $10 discount for each additional team if more than one is brought, and a $10 discount for registering before September 13th. This tournament will start at 9:00 (with registration beginning around 8) and should end between 2 and 3:00. Some sort of breakfast may be provided, but if so it will be continental to the extreme.

If you're interested in attending, please contact me as soon as possible to have some idea of a field. My email is [email protected]. Direct questions or concerns to the same address.
Last edited by segregold on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Keith Jamieson
Richard Montgomery High School
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: Preliminary announcement: RM Fall Tournament (September '08)

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Do you know, at least, whether these will be house written or not?

Thanks for making the announcement though, and keep us informed. We may not go to any Sept. tourneys but we would like to for the first time... ever, i think.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

These will definitely be house-written questions.
Keith Jamieson
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Do we have a date set?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Do we have a date set?
Excellent question. RM is dealing with the double-whammy of new coaches and a new principal this year, so we haven't had the chance to really sit down and discuss a fall tournament yet. One of the top priorities once school gets back in will be mapping it out. Insofar as I know, we're still on track for a late September/October tournament; something will happen at RM in the fall.
Keith Jamieson
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

More details on an RM fall tournament: a very tentative date is Saturday, September 27th (the last weekend of September). We are considering modified speed or trash (RM's pyramidal tournament remaining in the spring). Would there be any interest in attending a quasi-pyramidal trash tournament at RM on that date? When I say "quasi-pyramidal", I mean at about the difficulty of NAQTs or NAQT-As, but on largely pop culture, modern music, sports, modern literature (meaning not pulp but post-1945 lit), possibly some contemporary politics/current events and film questions.
Keith Jamieson
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

The content of the answers doesn't affect pyramidality (see Yaphe's trash tournaments). If you wrote a bunch of trash questions like NAQT does you'd have a pyramidal high school trash set.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Given the scarcity of dates for hosting high school quizbowl events in the greater DC area this fall, it would be absolutely criminal to steal a weekend for a trash tournament. You'll never convince me that high school trash is anything but a horrible idea to begin with, and doing it in DC when there can easily be an academic event every weekend (and, if you haven't noticed, an academic event has already been announced for the date you are talking about: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5907 ) seems downright destructive.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

segregold wrote:More details on an RM fall tournament: a very tentative date is Saturday, September 27th (the last weekend of September).
I'd like to point out that there's already a tournament scheduled for this date in the same county at Blake High School.

Edit: Perhaps if I improve my reading skills a little, I might be able to avoid repeating what Matt's already said.
Last edited by Howard on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Given the scarcity of dates for hosting high school quizbowl events in the greater DC area this fall, it would be absolutely criminal to steal a weekend for a trash tournament. You'll never convince me that high school trash is anything but a horrible idea to begin with, and doing it in DC when there can easily be an academic event every weekend (and, if you haven't noticed, an academic event has already been announced for the date you are talking about: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5907 ) seems downright destructive.
Thank you for your vitriol.

The point about Blake's tournament is, however, a fair one. I'll confer with my overlords and see if we can't come up with something more amenable.
Keith Jamieson
segregold
Wakka

Re: RM Fall Tournament (9/20/08)

Post by segregold »

Look like this is going to be an NAQT tournament now.
Keith Jamieson
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

If Gov and State College's attendance (as well as that of any other non-area teams) is conditional on further discounts, I could consider some sort of "discount for teams coming from more than 100 miles away" or something. But, if not, we do really need the money.
Keith Jamieson
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

segregold wrote:But, if not, we do really need the money.
The thing to do is write questions. Still, naqt is always better than trash so good job.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Do you guys have a fixed date yet? The 20th seems awfully close to not have your question source nailed down...
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

The thing to do is write questions.
Excellent point, Daichi, and we will indeed be having a house-written pyramidal tournament in the spring. As for now: I was not aware exactly how bad our financial situation was until my first meeting with our new coaches on August 25th. Can the argument be made that I should have been writing questions anyway, just in case? Sure. But I had other things to work on and I was being perhaps blindly optimistic. Considering that "RM house-written tournament" really at this point means "written by Keith," I hope you guys will forgive me for not being able to complete seven-ish in three weeks.
Do you guys have a fixed date yet? The 20th seems awfully close to not have your question source nailed down...
We move fast here at RM. The last week has been a state of subdued panic as we try to figure out how we can possibly have a tournament in September. I thank GDS for providing me with the idea of an NAQT tournament. I've gotten the green-light from NAQT; at the moment, it's just a question of school approval, which should be forthcoming. Since we're not writing the questions ourselves, I think we should be fine for September 20th. As I recall, last year we prepared in about two weeks as well, and whatever you guys may say about RM Spring '08, I hope you will at least concede that it was well run. In any case: this thing will be NAQT.
Keith Jamieson
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

OK, with tournaments in Phila and Richmond running the same set, doesn't that leave the tournament somewhat team deprived? If no one from the DC area goes to Richmond (unlikely) or Phila (slightly less unlikely), we might be fine, but don't you think losing State College, GDS, and maybe additional VA schools would have an adverse effect on the field strength?
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

The 10/11 Reynolds tournament is not happening due to a necessary change in date causing a change in set. That IS set should now be available for you to use.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

segregold wrote:Tournaments in Richmond (10/11) and Philadelphia (11/15)......
What Philly tournament? Did you mean University of Pittsburgh's SAGACITY in Pittsburgh? BIG driving difference for those of us who live on the East Coast!
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

BroNi wrote:
segregold wrote:Tournaments in Richmond (10/11) and Philadelphia (11/15)......
What Philly tournament? Did you mean University of Pittsburgh's SAGACITY in Pittsburgh? BIG driving difference for those of us who live on the East Coast!
UPenn's tournament was on the 22nd I thought.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

It is (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6155) but they are using house-writes, not NAQT.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Princeton is using this set as well, which we will likely attend.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

OK, with tournaments in Phila and Richmond running the same set, doesn't that leave the tournament somewhat team deprived? If no one from the DC area goes to Richmond (unlikely) or Phila (slightly less unlikely), we might be fine, but don't you think losing State College, GDS, and maybe additional VA schools would have an adverse effect on the field strength?
Ray, don't you go to my school? Aren't you on my quizbowl team? Can't we talk about these things in person instead of on the forums?

I'm going to officially call this as "happening" because my coaches have approved it and it's highly unlikely that our school won't let us host it. Should that happen, it will be canceled with at least a week's advance notice (and, in any case, I should hear from the administration within the week).
Keith Jamieson
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I'll defer to George to post for sure, but I heard that the 10/11 thing in Richmond that would have been using this set has been replaced entirely by the 11/22 tournament.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Matt Weiner wrote:I'll defer to George to post for sure, but I heard that the 10/11 thing in Richmond that would have been using this set has been replaced entirely by the 11/22 tournament.
Yes. As per the above post by me, this is the case.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Princeton is using this set as well
Yea, that was our conflict, but we're 99% attending this with hopefully 2 teams.
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

We haven't started practice yet so I can't give you an exact number, but GDS will be there with 1-3 teams.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
Melonman64
Lulu

Post by Melonman64 »

I can't confirm anything, but I e-mailed our coach about this, and it looks like State College may be coming down for the tournament. As soon as I find out I'll post something.
Tom, State College
Salt Lake Dream
Lulu

Post by Salt Lake Dream »

Whitman would like to send a team. We will bring a buzzer.
Whenever "Falkland Islands" is the answer, you know that you're supposed to say "Islas Malvinas" because they truly belong to Argentina.
Daniel Brezina
Walt Whitman 09'
UMBC
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

This is an It's Academic taping date; Blake cannot attend.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Maggie Walker will most likely be bringing two teams to this.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Hey sign us up for like 1 team and 1 or 2 buzzer systems.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Kellenberg will be there with 2 teams, 3 buzzers and an experienced moderator.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

My principal at long last got back to us today, so this tournament will actually be happening.

Thanks to teams who have already registered or given me some kind of registration information. Keep in mind that the deadline for early registration discounts is this Saturday. The absolute deadline (which is not entirely absolute, but I will make life difficult for you if you register after it) is Tuesday, September 16th. For administrative purposes, it would be greatly preferable if we could have a pretty set idea of how many teams are coming by that point.

Teams from which I've heard:

-Kellenberg
-Walter Johnson
-Maggie Walker
-Whitman
-GDS
-Gonzaga
-Detroit Catholic Central
-Thomas Jefferson

Ike from Stow Monroe Falls is also playing solo, and State College may also be sending some people. I sent out an email to the Beltway League list today, so we'll probably be able to add several more D.C. area teams to that list. If anyone knows a team that might be interested in attending this tournament but hasn't heard about it, please go ahead and tell them.
Keith Jamieson
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Teams which are coming should bring all of the buzzer sets that they can, by the way- we ourselves currently have either none or half a set, depending on how generously you count.
Keith Jamieson
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

To correct the original post, our tournament is on 10/11, not 11/15.

EDIT: Thanks.
Kunle Demuren
Ocean Lakes (VA) Scholastic Bowl (2003-07)
Princeton College Bowl (2007-)
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

segregold wrote:This tournament will start at 9:00......
9:00 for the first game or at 9:00 registration will open?
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

We're hoping to start the actual tournament by 9:00. Registration should begin at around 8.
Keith Jamieson
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Updated officially registered teams list:

-TJ (3 teams)
-Maggie Walker (2 teams)
-GDS (3 teams)
-Ike (himself)
-Gonzaga (1 team)
-DCC (1 team)
-Whitman (1 team)
-Kellenberg (2 teams)
-Walter Johnson (1 team)

There may be a few more groups registering between now and the 20th, but that is probably a fairly good idea of which teams are attending. We are probably going to be using some form of bracketing; the brackets should be worked out on Thursday, when I will also post the final barring-outrageous-surprises field.
Keith Jamieson
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Wow, I count exactly 0 A-teams not among the top 21 in the preseason poll with 6 in the top eleven. Needless to say, this is a very strong field.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

ClemsonQB wrote:Wow, I count exactly 0 A-teams not among the top 21 in the preseason poll with 6 in the top eleven. Needless to say, this is a very strong field.
Yeah. I don't remember ever seeing such a strong field in a tournament so early in the year. And, I expect to see the field get even stronger.
John Barnes
Maggie Walker Governor's School

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

The field strength has piqued our interest. Charter will send its A team if everyone's parents say ok. I will try and confirm our registration tomorrow.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:The field strength has piqued our interest.
I'm imagining a bunch of Charter players foraging on the African plain, when they suddenly catch wind of a strong field and all stand to attention and look around, meerkat-style.

Or something.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Well, we are "in the hunt" to win a national this year. So you've got to go where the strong teams are.

Really, I wasn't quite ready to do a trip. We just got finished doing our tryouts. Hence the team A only.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

jbarnes112358 wrote:
Yeah. I don't remember ever seeing such a strong field in a tournament so early in the year. And, I expect to see the field get even stronger.
And it certainly did. I was kind of expecting Charter to take an interest in joining the party.

It is going to be tough trying to qualify for nationals at this one. Good Luck everyone; we are going to need it.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

For those of you curious about how the bracketing is going to work, we are probably going to have one bracket for the A teams and another one or two for the B and C teams, with a round robin system within the brackets. I'll figure out a way to do short playoffs so that B and C teams are not categorically disqualified from winning the tournament.
Keith Jamieson

It strikes me that the reason so many good programs bring B teams to these types of events would be to play against high quality A teams to improve, and that segregating them yet somehow making them eligible for the overall title seems contrary to the best interests (and logical running) of a tournament.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Deesy Does It wrote:It strikes me that the reason so many good programs bring B teams to these types of events would be to play against high quality A teams to improve, and that segregating them yet somehow making them eligible for the overall title seems contrary to the best interests (and logical running) of a tournament.
I agree with Dees. I've never seen a tournament that has all the A Teams meet in the prelims unless said tournament didn't have a formal play-off, which I haven't seen in high school qb so far as I can remember. Doing both seems a bit strange.
Sam L,
PACE

Upon further counting, with 15 teams it seems to me you could easily run a tournament with 2 8 team prelim pools (one with a bye) that play round robin, and then have the top 6 teams play another round robin, and then a one game final if the top 2 teams have tied records, an advantaged 2-of-3 final if the top team is one win ahead of the 2nd team, or naming an outright winner if someone clears the field by 2 wins. That brings you to a 14 round tournament, with one packet to spare.

segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

I'm just going off what Ian Eppler requested. If it's not the consensus view, we can change it. With so few teams, though, and so many of them strong ones, I think some kind of a round robin is best.
Keith Jamieson
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Charter is not included in that count of 15, correct? If so there is no bye.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------