Trashtastrothree-Preliminary Announcement

Old college threads.
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

This is a preliminary announcement for the third installment of Trashtastrophe, an all pop culture set written with accessibility in mind. Unlike the previous two installments, T3 will include bonuses. I encourage high school hosts, however, to run this as a tossups-only side event to an academic tournament. As before, the tossups will be free of swearing, racy content, opinionated language and clues, and possibly offensive content with the high school audience kept in mind.

WHAT?
T3 is an all pop culture tournament. The distribution is listed below. This tournament, in my opinion, will be the trash analogue of the T-Party set. Tossups will be kept under seven lines, and knowledge will be rewarded with early buzzes.

IDEAL FORMAT
While the tossups-only version should be played in teams of two, the bonuses will be slightly more difficult and will most likely require a full team to compete well.

WHEN?
This tournament will be finished by October. I am currently looking for mirrors in all regions.

MIRRORS
This area will serve as a placeholder for mirrors as they are announced.

DISTRIBUTION
• 8 Movies & TV (Ideally four of each)
• 4 Music
• 4 Sports
• 1 Video Games
• 3 Miscellaneous (Trash Lit, Internet stuff, Consumerism and Advertising, General Knowledge, Multi-category)

WRITERS
I am again looking for contributors. I am aiming to have this tournament played widely enough that a person can both contribute a packet or half-packet and play. Please make a post in this thread or drop me an email if you are interested. I will certainly offer discounted mirrors in exchange for contributions.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: Trashtastrothree-Preliminary Announcement

Post by Mike Bentley »

So are the sets from the first two tournaments ever going to be released?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

KHAAAAN please wrote:Trashtastrothree-Preliminary Announcement

This is a preliminary announcement for the third installment of Trashtastrophe, an all pop culture set written with accessibility in mind. Unlike the previous two installments, T3 will include bonuses. I encourage high school hosts, however, to run this as a tossups-only side event to an academic tournament. As before, the tossups will be free of swearing, racy content, opinionated language and clues, and possibly offensive content with the high school audience kept in mind.

WHAT?
T3 is an all pop culture tournament. The distribution is listed below. This tournament, in my opinion, will be the trash analogue of the T-Party set. Tossups will be kept under seven lines, and knowledge will be rewarded with early buzzes.

IDEAL FORMAT
While the tossups-only version should be played in teams of two, the bonuses will be slightly more difficult and will most likely require a full team to compete well.

WHEN?
This tournament will be finished by October. I am currently looking for mirrors in all regions.

MIRRORS

DISTRIBUTION
• 4 Music
• 4 Sports
• 1 Video Games
• 3 Miscellaneous (Trash Lit, Internet stuff, Consumerism and Advertising, General Knowledge, Multi-category)

WRITERS
I am again looking for contributors. I am aiming to have this tournament played widely enough that a person can both contribute a packet or half-packet and play. Please make a post in this thread or drop me an email if you are interested. I will certainly offer discounted mirrors in exchange for contributions.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9385
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:So are the sets from the first two tournaments ever going to be released?
I'll be happy to give you the first one for Wastebinning since I had editorial control. It's up to Jeff whether or not to post the second.
Last edited by Dan-Don on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Dan-Don wrote:
KHAAAAN please wrote:Trashtastrothree-Preliminary Announcement

WHAT?

IDEAL FORMAT

WHEN?

MIRRORS

DISTRIBUTION
• 4 Music
• 4 Sports
• 1 Video Games

WRITERS
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9385
So wait, are you suggesting that Jeff Geringer shouldn't write so many high school trash sets?!
Andrew Watkins
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

While I hesitate to ask, is this finished?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Considering nothing came of the Midwest Academic Questions venture, I'm guessing 'no'. :sad:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

I split the discussion of a possible TERP mirror into a new thread.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred