Searching for Tournaments in the Midwest

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TheImpaler
Lulu

Searching for Tournaments in the Midwest

Post by TheImpaler »

I just registered here, so if I'm posting this in the wrong area... well, you know, off with my head or something. Sorry.

Anyhow, I'm the captain of Royal Oak A (Michigan) and we've only really been in existence for the past two years. We were at NAQT Nationals this past weekend and made a couple of connections there, but we're still looking for more tournaments-- preferably in the midwest, because our only mode of transportation is our coach's Neon, and five people in a Neon can get very uncomfortable very quickly.

So, long-winded build up aside, can anyone provide me with names and contacts for tournaments in the area within the next year? I'll be eternally grateful and maybe name my firstborn after you or something.

Thanks.

Jane
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

You can find a list of all tournaments that were submitted to this sites's tournament database at this link.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

There is a tournament or two every weekend in Illinois from mid-October through early March. Next year's info is not yet up at http://www.ihssbca.org, but it will be when the school year begins. Usually, the only NAQT tournament open to foreigners is at Northwestern the final Saturday in October, but in general there is something for everybody.
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

Tippecanoe, OH will be holding an NAQT tournament on November 5th. We are located about 20 miles north of Dayton on Interstate 75. Last year we had 40 teams compete in 5 divisions including teams from Kentucky and Michigan. The more the merrier!
Michigan State, Hartland, MI and University of Michigan all hold tournaments throughout the year.
To make more contacts, just talk to as many people as possible at tourneys and this will open you up to competitions that are held later in the year.
I do not care much for large yellow Avians.
PRStoetzer
Lulu

Post by PRStoetzer »

Are you the same school as Royal Oak Kimball? If so, your coach will get the emails about MSU's tournaments. MSU may have a September tournament this year. I'll probably get the ball rolling on planning that soon. We will also have our traditional March tournament.
Paul R. Stoetzer
President, Michigan State University Academic Competition Club
Former Captain, Eisenhower High School Quiz Bowl Team (2001-2003)
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

I will highly recommend Culver Academy's NAQT Tournament which this past season was held in February. Coach Phil Blessman is on this Board (somewhere???). You will be hard pressed to find a classier and better run tournament in a more beautiful setting (no offense to any other hosts out there).

Culver Academy is in Culver, Indiana, and is in the South Bend area.
TheImpaler
Lulu

Post by TheImpaler »

PRStoetzer wrote:Are you the same school as Royal Oak Kimball? If so, your coach will get the emails about MSU's tournaments. MSU may have a September tournament this year. I'll probably get the ball rolling on planning that soon. We will also have our traditional March tournament.
Yes, Royal Oak and Royal Oak Kimball are one and the same. Our school district is consolidating to one high school in the fall of 2006, so we're trying to remember to only register as Royal Oak, in preparation for that.

And yes, we do get e-mails about the MSU tournaments. I think we've been to just about every one in the last two years, and they're our favorites, so keep the e-mails coming.

Jane
APoikonen
Lulu

Post by APoikonen »

We will be hosting a tournament at Central Hardin High School on September 24 near Elizabethtown, Kentucky. We are located 40 miles south of Lousiville, just off of I-65 and will have both a JV and Varsity division this year. This will be a PACE-NSC qualifying tournament.

From a fellow Michigander now living in Kentucky, we would be pleased to have your team attend. More information about our tournament can be found at http://www.freewebs.com/chhsbruinsacademicteam
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

This would probably be a bit far for you guys, but other people in the Midwest would probably want to know that Washington University in St Louis is holding its 8th annual WU High School Academic Competition in winter 2006, tentatively scheduled for January 28.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Yeah, the WashU tournament was fun for me. I would recommend that one if you can travel to it.
thathindukid
Kimahri

Solon (tentative) tourney

Post by thathindukid »

Hi i'm the new captain at solon, announcing the tentative date of february 18, 2006 as the date of the solon NAQT tourney

Ajay Pillai
aka
Hadji Quest
wturner
Lulu

Post by wturner »

U of M in Ann Arbor will be hosting the Autumn Classic on December 3rd. U of M Dearborn also hosts tournaments, notably Michigan's NAQT states this year.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

This may be a bit of a stretch for you, though DCC has come before, but the University of Illinois has a tournament, Earlybird, on October 1st. This thread has more depth. I'll be there, so it has to be great, right?

MaS
TheImpaler
Lulu

Post by TheImpaler »

Do you know about how far that would be, driving-time-wise, from the Detroit area? Just a rough estimate? We could probably do it, but it might require some effort.
Jane Lawrence
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work like someone's watching."
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

TheImpaler wrote:Do you know about how far that would be, driving-time-wise, from the Detroit area? Just a rough estimate? We could probably do it, but it might require some effort.
Michigan makes the drive to Urbana-Champaign at least once every year, and it takes about 5-6 hours (from Ann Arbor)
TheImpaler
Lulu

Post by TheImpaler »

MLafer wrote:Michigan makes the drive to Urbana-Champaign at least once every year, and it takes about 5-6 hours (from Ann Arbor)
That may be vaguely uncomfortable with five people in a Neon.
Jane Lawrence
suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

Jane:

I grew up in Rochester Hills, MI and currently go to school in Urbana-Champaign, so I make the drive back and forth very regularly (I played at DCD, if you're curious). In addition, I am the tournament director and chief question editor for the UIUC Earlybird.

First of all, regarding the driving, everyone from Michigan knows that once you pass up the Metro Detroit area, you can do 95 mph down I-94 and nothing bad will ever happen to you. Second of all, regarding this tournament, it will be one of the best tournaments you attend this year, question-wise. The questions will be pyramidal like at NAQT and Academic Initiative (if they're still around), and unlike that sham of a "state championship" that's sponsored by McDonald's and Senator what's-his-face every year...in addition, they'll be highly academic and fairly challenging in nature (no current events, and at most 1/1 pop culture out of 20/20 total questions in each round).

Also, some of the best teams in Illinois will be there, including some that attended the NAQT HSNCT and/or PACE Nationals, and there are now teams from two different Indiana schools coming.

With an incredibly cheap tournament fee and incredibly cheap hotel rooms in the surrounding vicinity, this trip won't cost your team much money (except for the gas, which is kind of a hose any way you look at it). So, you guys should definitely make the trip down if you can, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Let me know if you have questions or want to register.

--Sudheer Potru
[email protected]
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

TheImpaler wrote:
MLafer wrote:Michigan makes the drive to Urbana-Champaign at least once every year, and it takes about 5-6 hours (from Ann Arbor)
That may be vaguely uncomfortable with five people in a Neon.
Just consider it a team building exercise!
pblessman
Rikku

Culver Tournaments

Post by pblessman »

Thanks to Tom Egan for the plug for Culver tournaments... we'll be hosting two tournaments this year which are open to teams from other states:

February 25, 2006 2nd Annual Culver Invitational
May 13, 2006 Midwest Championship

Our Invitational was attended by 18 teams last year, including two out-of-state teams: Detroit Catholic Central and Maine East (Park Ridge, IL). Culver is located about 1 hour South of South Bend, IN. Travel time from Detroit for most cars would probably be around 4.5 hours (260 miles). However, in a fully loaded Neon, you might want to add some extra time...
TheImpaler
Lulu

Re: Culver Tournaments

Post by TheImpaler »

pblessman wrote: Our Invitational was attended by 18 teams last year, including two out-of-state teams: Detroit Catholic Central and Maine East (Park Ridge, IL). Culver is located about 1 hour South of South Bend, IN. Travel time from Detroit for most cars would probably be around 4.5 hours (260 miles). However, in a fully loaded Neon, you might want to add some extra time...
And a few sticks of deodorant for good measure.
Jane Lawrence
emactruman
Lulu

Post by emactruman »

Sometime in october there should be one at White Cloud (near west of Grand Rapids but somewhat east of Kalamazoo) .
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

White Cloyd is next weekend. I don't have the tournament info handy, but email me [email protected] and I can find out.