There Are Alternatives to Zack Snyder

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

There Are Alternatives to Zack Snyder

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Sure, Superman vs. Batman was terrible, and pretty much every other film Snyder touches will be terrible in similar ways. Nonexistent or terrible characterization, over-reliance on special effects, no plot development, and Ben Affleck as Batman. But DID YOU KNOW...DC comics actually licenses good material still?

Enter: The expanding library of direct-to-video DC Animated Movies. While not related to the Batman animated series from the 90s, most of these actually hold up as decent stories. Particularly notable is the animated adaptation of the classic Frank Miller story Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. Certainly worth a watch if you're as tired of bad DC adaptations as I am.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Re: There Are Alternatives to Zack Snyder

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

I liked Batfleck...

But yes, Snyder is awful, 300 and Watchmen were subpar, Man of Steel was subsubpar, and Batman v. Superman was just...well, it was at least watchable.

I'll add this Vox piece, as well: http://www.vox.com/2016/3/30/11329886/b ... ack-snyder

On the other hand, the DC animated archive is absolutely fantastic! I can recommend, in addition to Dark Knight Returns, Red Hood and Flashpoint Paradox (and hopefully the upcoming Killing Joke!), as well as the entirety of the DCAU, i.e. the Timmverse or collection of animated TV shows created by Bruce Timm -- Batman the Animated Series, Superman the Animated Series, JL, JLU, and a couple others.

(I can promise this favoritism will show in GRAPHIC...)
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

UlyssesInvictus wrote:the Timmverse or collection of animated TV shows created by Bruce Timm -- Batman the Animated Series, Superman the Animated Series, JL, JLU, and a couple others.
Don't forget Batman Beyond!
(I can promise this favoritism will show in GRAPHIC...)
Hooray

EDIT: I didn't want to clutter the thread with a new post, but Mike's praise for Superman: TAS below reminds me of one of my favorite scenes in television, ever. Warning: spoilers and tears
Last edited by Sima Guang Hater on Mon May 09, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Superman the Animated Series is arguably the definitive fictional take on the character for me. But it's just a character that's hard to do live action, I think.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

Having watched most of the DC Animated Series, I'd like to affirm the above.
Also, this might be unpopular(?), but I think that the Dark Knight trilogy was quite refreshing when it/each of its movies came out and is, at the very least, better than BvS. Thus it might be a good alternative to Snyder.
Last edited by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin on Mon May 09, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Just chiming in to say that Under the Red Hood's Joker is the funniest Joker committed to the screen since Jack Nicholson. The DC Animated stuff is uniformly awesome, and The Dark Knight Returns is probably the best of the bunch. Good thread, Eric.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Was that statement that Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is possibly better than Batman v. Superman meant to be sarcastic?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

Cheynem wrote:Was that statement that Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is possibly better than Batman v. Superman meant to be sarcastic?
Yup. Just understating the somewhat obvious there.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13