Board Game Recommendations

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
JA01
Wakka

Board Game Recommendations

Post by JA01 »

Looking for some board game recommendations (hence the title) :D
Jade Anderson
Smithtown High School West President Class of ‘19
Stony Brook University President Class of ‘23
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: Board Game Recommendations

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Twilight Struggle. Crazy political strategy game of Communism vs Capitalism
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone
Wakka

Post by Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:Twilight Struggle. Crazy political strategy game of Communism vs Capitalism
Highly recommend. Hannibal Rome vs Carthage is another great 2 player game
Here I Stand: Wars of the Reformation 1517-1555 is a more complicated multi=player version of the above couple of games (i.e. played on a board, with card draws over a short number of terms). Burn Luther at the stake! Take Vienna as the Ottomans. Lead a madcap British invasion of Rome in a last gasp attempt to save the Reformation.

Ticket to Ride is a highly enjoyable German style board game. Seven Wonders is a fun, quick to setup and play card drawing game
Oliver Clarke
King Edward's School, Birmingham '11
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

Betrayal at House on the Hill, History of the World, Galaxy Trucker, Small World, Mascarade all very fun
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Marshall Steinbaum and myself are major proponents of the game "Power Grid", in which players compete to build the most efficient power distribution system in Germany.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:Marshall Steinbaum and myself are major proponents of the game "Power Grid", in which players compete to build the most efficient power distribution system in Germany.
Power Grid remains the only German-style board game I've ever played, so it's got my endorsement!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Diplomacy is incredibly fun if you've got six nerdy friends and seven hours.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
gimmedatguudsuccrose
Wakka

Post by gimmedatguudsuccrose »

Bughouse
χ Smith
FHS '15
Chicago '19
Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone
Wakka

Post by Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone »

Granny Soberer wrote:Diplomacy is incredibly fun if you've got six nerdy friends and seven hours.
Also at least 3 of them may not speak to you for several weeks following your inevitable betrayal.
Oliver Clarke
King Edward's School, Birmingham '11
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23
Charm Bison
Wakka

Post by Charm Bison »

And you can play Diplomacy online!

http://www.playdiplomacy.com
Sam Brochin
Hunter College High School 2012—2018, Pitt 2019—who knows
2016/2017 HSNCT National Champion
"sam brochin take me the **** to waffle house" — Max Shatan
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

Play Strat-o-matic
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
Sam
Rikku

Post by Sam »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:
Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:Marshall Steinbaum and myself are major proponents of the game "Power Grid", in which players compete to build the most efficient power distribution system in Germany.
Power Grid remains the only German-style board game I've ever played, so it's got my endorsement!
I don't think anyone who outranks me is on the forums, so I'll go ahead and say that Power Grid also has the Official Endorsement (TM) of the University of Minnesota Economics Department.

A fun non-strategy game is Dixit. It's kind of like Apples to Apples, but without the atmosphere of forced levity that can sometimes become tiring.
Sam Bailey
Minnesota '21
Chicago '13
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Pandemic is possibly my all time favorite game. Really intriguing strategy game that's flexible enough to change it up if you feel like winning would make everyone feel more at ease.

Also, if anyone has Slugfest Games' Kung Fu Fighting that was published like a decade ago, I will buy it off of you.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

Sam wrote:
Auks Ran Ova wrote:
I don't think anyone who outranks me is on the forums, so I'll go ahead and say that Power Grid also has the Official Endorsement (TM) of the University of Minnesota Economics Department.

A fun non-strategy game is Dixit. It's kind of like Apples to Apples, but without the atmosphere of forced levity that can sometimes become tiring.
Ah, Dixit -- by far the greatest board game about monopolistic competition.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Thread might be dead, but Arkham Horror and its various expansions are a ton of fun.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Ithaca Cricket Ump
Wakka

Post by Ithaca Cricket Ump »

Twilight Struggle is great and highly recommended. Labyrinth: The War on Terror is just as good and maybe even a little better, since it comes with highly playable solo rules. (There are decent solo rules for TS that you can find online with a little searching, but they change the dynamic of the game in a way that the ones for Labyrinth do not.)

In the non-proprietary arena, backgammon, all day, every day. One of the greatest gambling games ever, thanks to the invention of the doubling cube, and unlike games like poker it is just as fun if you play it for nothing at all, and unlike chess has just enough variance in it where the inferior player will win enough to keep them interested (while the inferior team winning is not usually considered an optimal result in quizbowl, if you play for money it is absolutely essential to keep the donators in the game - you can shear a sheep many times, but slaughter it only once.) It can also be played by more than two players if you use the chouette format.
Scott M. Blish
Cheval, FL
Cornell 1990-92, 1997
Tournament Director, BrainBusters Fall
HSNCT moderator 2012-, MSNCT 2013-, SSNCT 2014-, PACE NSC 2013-, NHBB Nationals 2014-
Ithaca Cricket Ump
Wakka

Post by Ithaca Cricket Ump »

Also, an out of print but generally relatively easy to find game called Facts in Five, made by Avalon Hill, would be of particular interest to quizbowlers, I think. It is basically a far more intellectual and diverse version of Scattergories, with scoring rules that reward deep knowledge since you are awarded points proportional to the SQUARE of the number of acceptable answers you can come up with in five minutes.
Scott M. Blish
Cheval, FL
Cornell 1990-92, 1997
Tournament Director, BrainBusters Fall
HSNCT moderator 2012-, MSNCT 2013-, SSNCT 2014-, PACE NSC 2013-, NHBB Nationals 2014-
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

The game "Wits and Wagers" is the one where I've most been able to use my quizbowl knowledge to crush non-quizbowl people the most. It's a trivia game, with the twist that all of the answers are numbers (stuff like "What year was Liberia founded" or "how many feet tall is the Washington Monument"), each player writes down an answer, and then you all bet on which answer is closest (you can bet on not your own answer).
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:The game "Wits and Wagers" is the one where I've most been able to use my quizbowl knowledge to crush non-quizbowl people the most. It's a trivia game, with the twist that all of the answers are numbers (stuff like "What year was Liberia founded" or "how many feet tall is the Washington Monument"), each player writes down an answer, and then you all bet on which answer is closest (you can bet on not your own answer).
Same here.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Some aren't exactly board games, but I do have a few suggestions:

Roll For It. I got to beta test it at a local LGS a few years ago, and I find it a lot more fun than Yahtzee.

Fluxx. Simple game to learn, and the endless expansions can be meshed however you want.

Love Letter. Simple premise, and despite games being fairly quick, doesn't get boring.

Luchador! - I'm surprised Mike Cheyne or Fred didn't suggest this one. Takes a bit of set-up, but worth it.
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Not necessarily a "board game" per se, since the "board" consists of piles of cards, but Dominion is excellent and very replayable (especially if you have one or more expansion sets).
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Also not technically a board game, but another game that requires figuring stuff out and fast reaction times is Linkee. One player asks questions whose answers are all related, and without saying the answers out loud you're racing the other players to figure out what the connection is and say "Linkee." Would definitely recommend.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:The game "Wits and Wagers" is the one where I've most been able to use my quizbowl knowledge to crush non-quizbowl people the most. It's a trivia game, with the twist that all of the answers are numbers (stuff like "What year was Liberia founded" or "how many feet tall is the Washington Monument"), each player writes down an answer, and then you all bet on which answer is closest (you can bet on not your own answer).

I'm a beast at this thanks to quizbowl.
Rachel
UChicago 09
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:

I'm a beast at this thanks to quizbowl.
Same
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight