I'm bored so let's suggest music

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
JA01
Wakka

I'm bored so let's suggest music

Post by JA01 »

Suggest some of your favorite music artists. I don't care what genre, country, or century they are. Anyone that you love listening to please comment. Thanks!
Jade Anderson
Smithtown High School West President Class of ‘19
Stony Brook University President Class of ‘23
armitage
Wakka

Re: I'm bored so let's suggest music

Post by armitage »

If you like math rock, highly recommend this EP youtube algorithm fed me a few weeks ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNPacj2jIqA&app=desktop
Richard
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

I've been listening to a lot of Wiki and Your Old Droog recently, they're both really good rappers that have released awesome albums this year. Both have a real New York sound.
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

I'd highly recommend Eden. He's a combo of indie/edm (his new stuff anyways). It's all good stuff.
Last edited by tksaleija on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

armitage wrote:If you like math rock, highly recommend this EP youtube algorithm fed me a few weeks ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNPacj2jIqA&app=desktop
Along the same lines (but with a decently different sound than Richard's suggestion) take a look at Monobody's self titled album, they're a math rock band with pop-ish tendencies from Chicago and they're amazing
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

On the opposite side of the spectrum, if you're interested in modern folk Sarah Jarosz is excellent.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Gang Signs and Prayer is the new album by Stormzy, a British grime rapper. It's different from what I've heard a lot of recently, and I find it really refreshing and one of my favorite albums so far this year.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
yeah viv talk nah
Wakka

Post by yeah viv talk nah »

NIHILS, an Austrian electronic band, released a fantastic album called Perspectives earlier this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z660ErzKbhY

If anyone likes classic English indie rock, check out The Night Café: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZkKK5IDbYM

Another one of my favorite artists is D.D Dumbo, who is absolutely amazing at "building" songs live (his recorded albums are just as great): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IV96qV-8xw
Ani P.
Farragut, UMD, PSU
Charm Bison
Wakka

Post by Charm Bison »

Fountains of Wayne (yes, the "Stacy's Mom" band, shut up) is really underrated. Check out some of their other songs:

"Radio Bar": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG6JDS3GE44

"Someone to Love": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw2UAwnj1UA

"Bright Future in Sales": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw3WY94is38

I've also been listening to Daft Punk's live album Alive 2007, aka the greatest remix album ever made.
Sam Brochin
Hunter College High School 2012—2018, Pitt 2019—who knows
2016/2017 HSNCT National Champion
"sam brochin take me the **** to waffle house" — Max Shatan
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

Billy Joel is still my main man
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Tom Lehrer's songs are good, funny, and also sometimes interesting as historical documents.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

Steeve Ho You Fat wrote:Gang Signs and Prayer is the new album by Stormzy, a British grime rapper. It's different from what I've heard a lot of recently, and I find it really refreshing and one of my favorite albums so far this year.
I do really like some of the tracks on GSAP, but I don't really like "quiet stormzy" r&b. On that note, New Gen is a really good compilation album by some of grime's younger artists. You should also check out Godfather, Wiley's latest from earlier this year.
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Carleton College '18
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

Post by Off To See The Lizard »

Smino's newest project, "blkswn" has been getting repeats on my Spotify since the beginning of the year.

Big Thief's new album, "Capacity," is also quite powerful.
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
Santa Claus
Rikku

Post by Santa Claus »

I've been listening to a lot of Caravan Palace while studying, as their songs don't really have lyrics and are nice and catchy. It's French electro-swing - I really enjoy Lone Digger off their album <I°_°I>.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
bretthogan43
Lulu

Post by bretthogan43 »

You've gotta listen to Dying Fetus. Their blend of brutal death metal with a technical edge receives praise from fans of all types of music.
Brett Hogan
former player, Wallace State Community College
Athens State University alumni
Jewish Pugilist
Lulu

Post by Jewish Pugilist »

If you want some cool lyrics on bizarre subject matter, check out AJJ (Formerly Andrew Jackson Jihad)
Peter Torres
University of Central Florida 2014-2019
Who Cares About Nausinous
Lulu

Post by Who Cares About Nausinous »

Since someone else mentioned death metal, I highly HIGHLY recommend Aether Realm's album Tarot, which dropped a few months ago. There's so much going on in every song, especially the 19-minute long adventure at the end. It's definitely album of the year for me, and I try to get all my friends to listen to it even if they don't like metal.
Luc Wetherbee, the kid with the flower
Ithaca High School '17
Cornell '21
The guy with the flower
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

In the country music world, I really like Jade Jackson's new album Gilded. Her voice reminds me of Frances Quinlan of Hop Along, who's one of my favorite singers.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
Auger recombination
Rikku

Post by Auger recombination »

If you like folk-esque music, I suggest Sufjan Stevens, the official musical accompaniment of the OU academic team's road trips. I'm especially a fan of his album Illinois
Finn Bender
Edmond Memorial '15
OU '19
Colorado '21
MiltonPlayer47
Wakka

Post by MiltonPlayer47 »

I'm a big fan of Eleanor Friedberger. Her 3 solo albums are nearly flawless, and the first three albums that she did with The Fiery Furnaces (Gallowsbird's Bark, Blueberry Boat, and EP) are all excellent.
Steven Hanley
FSU (2004-2006)
UGA (2007-2009)
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Lately I've been listening to Broadcast's Tender Buttons (dream pop + psychedelia), Weyes Blood's Front Row Seat to Earth (kind of a mystical folk rock), and of course Beach House's Depression Cherry (more dream pop).

Other recommendations:
Frankie Cosmos
Alvvays
Best Friends
Girl Ray
Radiator Hospital
Makthaverskan
Dead Ghosts
Black Lips
Nobunny
Chemtrails
Fazerdaze

Some of these are hard to categorize. But if you're a fan of "indie rock," they're varied enough that if you click through all of them I guarantee you'll find something you like.
Muriel Axon wrote:Frances Quinlan of Hop Along, who's one of my favorite singers.
respect
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

I'm terrible about keeping up with new music, but I really love Courtney Barnett, who just came out with a new album with Kurt Vile. It's not as good as her other work, I don't think, but it's got her usual vocal and lyrical style that makes her great. You'll like it if you enjoy playful lyrics dense with naturalistic images that are simultaneously funny and emotionally engaging.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

This summer, Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith gave one of the better concerts I've been to. So composed and careful, sounds like a whole ecosystem. She has a new album out, The Kid, and it's super good.

The Botanist is MY kind of metal. Post-black. A nicer version of Wolves in the Throne Room.

Carla Dal Forno sounds like your really cool friend who doesn't say much and has a room full of succulents.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
Nate714
Lulu

Post by Nate714 »

I'd recommend Bastille (of "Pompeii' fame), which is probably my favorite band. Here are my favorite songs from them:

bad_news https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtVPa5baudI: This song is probably on my top 10 list for best songs of the decade so far. The lyrics are really eerie and mysterious, yet powerful, and it fits well with the music video. Something about this song brings chills down my spine, and invokes emotions in me that no other song I have ever listened to.

Of The Night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCTDKLjdok4: This song is absolutely genius, even though it's a mix cover of "Rhythm Of The Night" by Corona and "Rhythm Is A Dancer" by Snap!. It takes this Eurodance songs and translates it into a fantastic piece of alternative indie. Definitely give this a listen.
Nathan Finn
St. Lawrence University '23
Leonia High School '19
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

Nate714 wrote:I'd recommend Bastille (of "Pompeii' fame), which is probably my favorite band. Here are my favorite songs from them:

bad_news https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtVPa5baudI: This song is probably on my top 10 list for best songs of the decade so far. The lyrics are really eerie and mysterious, yet powerful, and it fits well with the music video. Something about this song brings chills down my spine, and invokes emotions in me that no other song I have ever listened to.

Of The Night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCTDKLjdok4: This song is absolutely genius, even though it's a mix cover of "Rhythm Of The Night" by Corona and "Rhythm Is A Dancer" by Snap!. It takes this Eurodance songs and translates it into a fantastic piece of alternative indie. Definitely give this a listen.
Dude!! Awesome suggestion, and I second the idea. Always fun songs. They came out with an album last year called "Wild World" and it's super good.
Aleija Rodriguez
MCMC/MCCC 2019
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

I'm suggesting, in honor of a good quiz bowl player who has chosen to end her quiz bowl career for the time being, a band called Streetlight Manifesto. It's ska-punk and it's super great to head bash to. Singing along is easy too because the lead singer's voice is kinda raspy so it'll drown out any embrassing missed notes. Good band.
Aleija Rodriguez
MCMC/MCCC 2019
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

tksaleija wrote:I'm suggesting, in honor of a good quiz bowl player who has chosen to end her quiz bowl career for the time being, a band called Streetlight Manifesto. It's ska-punk and it's super great to head bash to. Singing along is easy too because the lead singer's voice is kinda raspy so it'll drown out any embrassing missed notes. Good band.
Best post in the thread.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
armitage
Wakka

Post by armitage »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:
tksaleija wrote:I'm suggesting, in honor of a good quiz bowl player who has chosen to end her quiz bowl career for the time being, a band called Streetlight Manifesto. It's ska-punk and it's super great to head bash to. Singing along is easy too because the lead singer's voice is kinda raspy so it'll drown out any embrassing missed notes. Good band.
Best post in the thread.
Pretty sure Streetlight Manifesto - "The Big Sleep" led me to watch The Big Sleep (1946) which led me to get a tossup on the novel at 2012 Minn. Open. G'times.
Richard
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Sun Ra is my favorite jazz musician underrepresented in the current canon, so I'll suggest listening to Space is the Place for a 20:00+ freak out that will surprisingly stick around in your head in the hope that he'll be more than an ACF nats bonus part.
Rachel
UChicago 09
bmccauley
Wakka

Post by bmccauley »

The Avett Brothers, for me, are an incredibly underrated band. Elements of folk, rock, bluegrass (depending on the song) mixed with some storytelling lyrics. Highly recommend checking them out.
Bernard McCauley
Coach, Great Valley High School (PA)
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:
Best post in the thread.
Jumping off of Streetlight Manifesto (who are as awesome as stated above) I'd like to suggest the Screaming Females, another badass New Brunswick staple. They're more solidly punk, but also has some fantastic guitar work from the band's (amusingly) sole female member. Who is also the lead singer/screamer, so the name's not totally false advertising.

Also, MC Solaar is fantastic even if you can't understand French, as is Rashid Taha even if you can't understand French or (Algerian) Arabic.
Jason Golfinos
Trinity School '13 (inexplicably in charge, 2011-13)
Princeton '17 (inexplicably in charge, 2015-16)
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

As long as we're going foreign, Yasmine Hamdan and Emel Mathlouthi are both really really great Arabic singers.
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Carleton College '18
YungBrownie
Kimahri

Post by YungBrownie »

My top 10 artists in no special order:
  • Tycho (experimental/indie electronic, probably my favorite)
    Jinsang (lo-fi hip hop)
    ODESZA (electronic/EDM)
    Thievery Corporation (lounge)
    Caravan Palace (electro swing)
    Home (electronic)
    Proleter (lo-fi)
    Télépopmusik (electronic/pop)
    Empire of the Sun (electronic/pop)
    Jay Park (Korean/hip-hop)
Rohan Vora
Downingtown STEM '18
NYU '22
L.O.V.E.
Lulu

Post by L.O.V.E. »

To add to the ska-punk bandwagon, I suggest both Arrogant Sons of Bitches and Bomb the Music Industry. Both bands were fronted by the now Pitchfork-approved Jeff Rosenstock. I really recommend the songs "You Still Believe in Me?" and "Syke! Life is Awesome!" for BTMI, and all of the Three Cheers for Disappointment album by ASOB.
Evan Suttell
Lakewood (OH) '17
MSU '21
mazinomer
Lulu

Post by mazinomer »

My favorite band right now is probably Palm. Listen to their albums Trading Basics and Shadow Expert if you're into math rock. In the same math rock vein, Women's album Public Strain is insane. Other then that, I've been bumping the new King Krule record and a lot of Alvvays.
Mazin Omer
Ottawa Hills High School '19
Harvard '23
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Post by Red Panda Cub »

mazinomer wrote:My favorite band right now is probably Palm. Listen to their albums Trading Basics and Shadow Expert if you're into math rock.
Lol, I went to school with half of this band. Can confirm they are good.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
Jewish Pugilist
Lulu

Post by Jewish Pugilist »

tksaleija wrote: "Syke! Life is Awesome!"
This track, in particular, is what first got me into Bomb the Music Industry a while back. It is so great and really accessible
Peter Torres
University of Central Florida 2014-2019
kady
Lulu

Post by kady »

YungBrownie wrote:My top 10 artists in no special order:
  • Tycho (experimental/indie electronic, probably my favorite)
    Jinsang (lo-fi hip hop)
    ODESZA (electronic/EDM)
    Thievery Corporation (lounge)
    Caravan Palace (electro swing)
    Home (electronic)
    Proleter (lo-fi)
    Télépopmusik (electronic/pop)
    Empire of the Sun (electronic/pop)
    Jay Park (Korean/hip-hop)
I have to second Odesza. It's incredibly hi-fi for all you audiophiles out there.

More recommendations:
The Coronas (alt rock)
Dan + Shay (country)
Lil Peep (hip hop)
You Me at Six (rock)
Kady Hsu
Rancho Bernardo '19
Berkeley '23
PACE
https://socalquizbowl.org/
BradCarson
Kimahri

Post by BradCarson »

Odezsa and Empire of the Sun, all the way! :)

User was reminded to enable a signature.
Sjenk225
Lulu

Post by Sjenk225 »

This one's ridiculously catchy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Steve "Jenk" Jenkins
Strayer '21
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Sjenk225 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:55 pm This one's ridiculously catchy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Epic.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
jmarvin_
Wakka

Post by jmarvin_ »

armitage wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:16 pm If you like math rock, highly recommend this EP youtube algorithm fed me a few weeks ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNPacj2jIqA&app=desktop
Oh hey, I knew the guy in this band when I lived in Boston! Nate Sherman is a madman, tunes his guitar to BF#BF#BF# (seriously!)

He's now one of two bonkers guitarists in a band called Good Game, which is worth checking out but perhaps not to everyone's taste (if you like Invalids, you'd like it)
john marvin
university of chicago - joint ph.d., philosophy and philosophy of religions, 2028
university of chicago - m.a. philosophy of religions, 2021
boston college - b.a. theology, 2018
warum
Lulu

Post by warum »

armitage wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:16 pm If you like math rock, highly recommend this EP youtube algorithm fed me a few weeks ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNPacj2jIqA&app=desktop
"Angle" by Elephant Gym is another good math rock album.

If you like very sad-sounding indie rock with beautiful vocal harmonies, I recommend the 2018 self-titled EP by boygenius.
Natan Holtzman
Stanford 2024, UNC 2016, Enloe 2012
Kenneth Curlings
Kimahri

Post by Kenneth Curlings »

Fuddle Duddle wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:26 am Tom Lehrer's songs are good, funny, and also sometimes interesting as historical documents.
"As we're poisoning pigeons in the park"

User was reminded to add a signature.