North Hollywood Invitational (Los Angeles, CA) - 2/17/2018

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
Golran
Auron

North Hollywood Invitational (Los Angeles, CA) - 2/17/2018

Post by Golran »

It is my pleasure to announce the North Hollywood’s Middle School Invitational Tournament to be held on Saturday, February 17th to be held at North Hollywood High School. This tournament is intended as an introduction to quiz bowl for Los Angeles area middle school and junior high school students.

This tournament will be using question set MS-23, provided by NAQT; top-performing teams will qualify for the Middle School National Championship Tournament to be held in Chicago in May 2018. As this set is being used by a number of the Academic Leagues in the San Diego area, please ensure that you have not heard this set already, or will not be using it in a competition for your league at a later date.

We can currently accommodate 18 teams. Should excess demand be complemented by excess staff availability, we will make every effort to increase the field size to accommodate as many teams as logistically possible.

Exact tournament format will be decided based on the number of registrations. Teams will be guaranteed 8 games, with a break for lunch. The opening meeting will begin at 8:45AM with the first games beginning at 9:30AM. We will break for lunch at around 12:30 PM. Further logistical details will be available shortly.

Fees:
$50 (*) – Registration fee for the first team from each school
$45 - Registration fee for each additional team from a school
Discounts:
$5 – Bringing a working lockout buzzer system for use throughout the day
$10 – Providing a volunteer to staff as either a moderator or scorekeeper
$10 - One-way travel of 100 or more miles, as measured by the top suggested route on Google Maps

We will accept cash or checks on the day of the tournament. If you need an invoice to create a purchase order, please contact me.

(*) We do not want finances to be a limitation to attendance. If the fee is prohibitive to your team’s attendance, please contact me and we’ll see what we can do.

We are using NAQT’s online registration system. To register for this event, you will need to go to https://www.naqt.com/registration/field ... nt_id=9161 and follow the steps there to create an account and register for the event. The registration deadline will be Wednesday, February 14th. We ask that you limit your team size to no more than 6 students. You are free to register multiple teams, and teams may play shorthanded with as few as 1 player.

If you have any questions, please contact me at [email protected] . I look forward to seeing you at the event.
Last edited by Golran on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Re: North Hollywood Invitational (Los Angeles, CA) - 2/17/20

Post by Golran »

Just sent to teams:
Hello to all!

Thank you for registering for North Hollywood’s Middle School Quiz Bowl tournament to be held on Saturday, February 17th. We’re looking forward to seeing you in about a month! In this e-mail you will find some basic logistical information.

The tournament will take place at North Hollywood High School. Parking will be on the campus of the school on the corner of Magnolia Blvd and Morella Ave. When you arrive, check in will be in the Kennedy Building in room K223. All games will take place on the second floor of the Kennedy Building. I have attached a campus map here for your reference.

Timing:

Check in will be from 8:00 – 8:30 AM with an opening meeting at 8:30, and games starting no later than 9:00. We will break for lunch at around Noon, with afternoon games resuming approximately 1 hour after lunch begins. We anticipate the day wrapping up from 3:00 - 4:00 PM (depending on how many finals games are necessary) with book prizes awarded to top scoring teams and players.

Check in process:

When you arrive, please report to Kennedy Building room K223. There, I will give you a folder containing your schedule for the preliminary rounds, unofficial score sheets for the your use, and other relevant information. During the check in process, you will also confirm your roster and the spelling of your players’ names in our stat-keeping software. Staffers will be available during this time to answer any rules questions at this time, and there will be another opportunity at the end of the opening meeting.

Payment is also due during check in in the form of either Cash (preferred) or check made payable to “Ian Drayer”. Receipts will be made available at this time.

If you are running late or need assistance finding the room, please call or text me at <cell phone number removed, PM me for it if needed>.

Food:

A light breakfast of pastries, juice, and milk will be available during the check-in period.

There are numerous lunch options about 1 mile east of the campus in the NoHo Arts District. We will also be ordering pizza from a local pizzeria for staff members. If your team would like to be added to our order, please let me know what you would like before the morning of Friday, February 16th, and I will make sure it is delivered on time for your team.

Awards:

Book prizes will be awarded to the top 2 teams and the top 5 individual scorers not on those teams. Individual top scorers will be based on points per tossup heard during the preliminaries. A player must hear at least 60% of the tossups that the team does to be eligible for an individual prize. The top 15% of the field (rounded up) will qualify for NAQT’s Middle School National Championship Tournament to be held Mother’s Day Weekend, May 12th-14th in Chicago, Illinois.

Game Format:

Each game will consist of 20 tossup questions each with the opportunity for a 3-part bonus question, divided into 2 halves of 10 tossup-bonus cycles. Each team will have a single 30-second timeout per game. You will be able to substitute players only during halftime or a timeout. The questions are power-marked with the opportunity to earn 15 points for answering early, and “neg” penalties for incorrect interrupts will be in effect. Players will not need to wait for moderators to recognize them before answering tossup questions; on bonus questions moderators will rule on any answer directed at them by any team member – bonus answers do not have to come from the captain. I’ve attached a copy of NAQT’s rules that we are following found at https://www.naqt.com/downloads/brief-rules.pdf , with full rules at https://www.naqt.com/rules.html .

Question Packets:

As a reminder, we are using MS-23 provided by NAQT. A paper copy of the questions will be provided to each school at no cost at the end of the tournament. These questions will still be used by other tournaments across the country, so please make sure you do not share or discuss any question content with anyone not in attendance at this event, including but not limited to posts on social media referencing specific clues, answer lines, subcategories etc. For example, tweeting “Got the American Literature tossup to clinch the tournament” is acceptable, while “Got the Mark Twain tossup to clinch the tournament” is not permitted.

Everything else:

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out to me at [email protected] and I’ll do everything I can to answer your questions or address your concerns. Good luck, and we’re looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday, February 17th!

Thanks,

Ian Drayer

Tournament Director
Attachments
NHHS school map.pdf
NHHS School Map
(164.06 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
brief-rules.pdf
NAQT Rules
(236.13 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Last edited by Golran on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Re: North Hollywood Invitational (Los Angeles, CA) - 2/17/20

Post by Golran »

The most up to date field can be viewed at https://www.naqt.com/registration/field ... nt_id=9161 .

Field as of 1/20/2018:

Carmel Valley A
Carmel Valley B
City School
Rolling Hills Country Day
Bernardo Heights
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated