SNAIL the 1st - MS Tourney @ Southwestern Piasa H.S.

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
mhasquin
Wakka

SNAIL the 1st - MS Tourney @ Southwestern Piasa H.S.

Post by mhasquin »

The Southwestern High School Scholastic Bowl team is hosting the SNAIL (SouthwesterN Academic InvitationaL) on Saturday, April 14.

Question Set
The Southwestern High School team is writing the question set in-house. There are 20 tossups and bonuses per round.

For teams that are accustomed to IESA play, we will have some slight modifications, such as bonuses being 3-parts each read one at a time. This style of bonus question allows for greater flexibility for the question writers. A rules sheet will be sent out when teams register. A sample of the question set will also be made available upon request.

Question Distribution
Tossup/Bonus (# of each category per round)
5/5 Science (including 1/1 Noncomputational Math)
4/4 Literature
4/4 History
2/2 Religion and Mythology
2/2 Fine Arts
1/1 Geography
1/1 Current Events, Philosophy, and Social Science
1/1 Pop Culture

Fees
The cost is $50 for the first team and $45 for any subsequent team (such as a B and/or C team).

Please plan on arriving at Southwestern High School by 8:00 am for registration. A moderator's meeting will take place at 8:15 and a meeting for coaches will take place at 8:30. We would like to begin play before 9:00 am.

We will have an initial cap of 24 teams. If there is interest and staff is available we will consider expansion of the field.

With a field of 24 teams, everyone will be guaranteed eight rounds of play.

Lunch
Pizza and other concessions will be available for purchase. It is preferable to stay on site for lunch.

Registration
You can register your team(s) at https://goo.gl/forms/PR6VtMLTBVm2RLlG2

If you have any questions, please contact Matt Hasquin at [email protected]
Matt Hasquin
Scholastic Bowl Coach - Southwestern High School - Piasa, Illinois
IHSSBCA Chair (2018-2022)
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: SNAIL the 1st - MS Tourney @ Southwestern Piasa H.S.

Post by the return of AHAN »

This is a great idea. I hope you've made a point of directly emailing the coaches in your area, as most middle school coaches aren't even aware of the existence of this board, let alone check it regularly. Let me know if you need help finding addresses.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mhasquin
Wakka

Re: SNAIL the 1st - MS Tourney @ Southwestern Piasa H.S.

Post by mhasquin »

the return of AHAN wrote:This is a great idea. I hope you've made a point of directly emailing the coaches in your area, as most middle school coaches aren't even aware of the existence of this board, let alone check it regularly. Let me know if you need help finding addresses.
Thanks Jeff. I have a draft of the email now and trying to pull emails from the IESA site is a bit of a challenge, but I'm working through it. Our goal was to write questions to be a better team. The kids expanded that into, 'how can we grow interest in the middle schools in our area.' So, we'll see how this works out.
Matt Hasquin
Scholastic Bowl Coach - Southwestern High School - Piasa, Illinois
IHSSBCA Chair (2018-2022)