ACF Nationals Announcement

Old college threads.
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

ACF Nationals Announcement

Post by Birdofredum Sawin » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:30 pm

As previously announced: ACF Nationals will be held on April 1, 2006 at the University of Michigan. Here's some more information about the tournament. First, the fees:

Base team fee: $135 (same as last year)
Each additional team: $105 each
Working buzzer discount: -$5 (maximum of 2 buzzer discounts per school)
Competent moderator discount: -$10
Packet Formatting Penalty: +$25

And here is the discount/penalty schedule for ACF Nationals packets:
February 18 ... -$25
February 25 ... -$15
March 4 ... no penalty
March 11 ... +$15
March 18 ... +$25

Packets should follow the distribution guidelines available on the ACF
website at http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~paik/acf/writers.html

As you can see from the above fee, if you submit a packet that is improperly formatted, your team will be assessed a 25 dollar penalty. Please format the packets according to the specifications used for this year's ACF Fall and Regional tournaments. In particular, please note the following requirements:

Packets must be submitted as Microsoft Word documents. The text should be in size 10 Times New Roman Font. Do not number your questions or use tabs or any other mechanism that can trigger auto-formatting in word except for smart quotes and apostrophes. Do not put page breaks between blocks of questions. Please sort your questions by category. The answers to tossups should be preceded by "ANSWER: " and should have the required portions in bold and underlined. Please do not use bold or underlining in any part of any question that is not the answer. Bonus parts should be preceded by [point value] , and answers should be treated as specified above for tossups. At the top of the packet please write the name of the institution you represent and the names of the packet authors in bold.

Please send all packets and concerns about packets to me at the following address: adyaphe at gmail dot com. Also, you can register for the tournament by emailing me at the same address. When you register, please tell me if you plan to bring working buzzers or competent moderators.

If you have questions about the tournament site (how to get to Michigan, where to stay while you're there, etc.) please email David Rappaport at dgrap at umich dot edu.

Thanks,

Andrew

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:35 pm

Am I correct in understanding that a full packet consists of 30/30? That's what the memorandum says, but it's been some time since that many questions were required for a full packet, so I want to double-check.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance

recfreq
Wakka

Post by recfreq » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:38 am

Should that document from 1998 be updated? For one thing, lumping all of psychology, economics, anthropology, archaeology, linguistics, sociology, and political science into one question and reserving 7 each for lit, sci, and history doesn't seem to reflect the modern ACF distr. It then goes on to provide list generation, ordering, and matching bonuses as proven formats. Also, TUs can never exceed 8 lines in 12pt courier, which I like, but doubt everyone can follow.
Ray Luo, UCLA.

Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

Post by Birdofredum Sawin » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:35 pm

I guess I should have checked that link before I pasted it in from last year's announcement. In fact, you should probably ignore much of it and focus instead on the more recent updates (such as Subash's helpful tips, which can be found here: http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~paik/acf/subash.html ).

Also, please note that ACF nationals packets should consist of 26/26, and should follow this distribution:

Literature ... 5/5
History ... 5/5
Science ... 5/5
Religion/Myth/Philosophy ... 3/3
Fine Arts ... 3/3
Geography/Social Sciences ... 2/2
More "Big Three" (science, lit, history) ... 1/1
Your choice (could be any mix of the above, including yet more science, lit, and/or history; could also be as much as 1/1 trash) ... 2/2

In addition, you should pay attention to the more recent formatting requirements (e.g. the ones from Eric's ACF Fall post which I quoted in my original announcement in this thread).

Basically, for both difficulty and length I want questions to be moderately eased from last year's ACF nationals: tossups 1-2 lines shorter, and bonuses somewhat gentler on the non-experts in any given category. If you weren't at the tournament last year, I'll be posting a sample packet from it in the near future so you can get a sense of what I mean. Also, you can always email me with any questions about your potential packet.

Thanks,

Andrew

Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

Post by Birdofredum Sawin » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:48 am

This is just a reminder that although the deadline for the largest packet discount has elapsed (as of about 45 minutes ago), there's still plenty of time for teams to submit packets prior to the second discount deadline (i.e. next Saturday). If you've already submitted a packet, thanks for getting it in this far in advance.

Also, if teams are interested in playing ACF nationals but can't (for whatever reason) write a packet, it is possible to play in the tournament without writing a round. If you're interested in that, or if you have any questions about the tournament, please email me.

Andrew

Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

Post by Birdofredum Sawin » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:10 am

To keep this compelling thread alive: It's no longer possible to get a packet discount for ACF nationals, but if you submit a packet by next Saturday you won't be charged a penalty. Again, thanks to those teams who have already gotten their packets in.

Also, one small formatting note. Please divide the packets into categories as follows:

Lit tossups
Lit bonuses

History tossups
History bonuses
etc.

(As opposed to all the tossups en masse, followed by all the bonuses).

Thanks,

Andrew