Joint Quizbowl Project

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Joint Quizbowl Project

Post by Stained Diviner »

UPDATE 2: Read this post before using the sign-up sheet.
UPDATE: Here is a sign-up sheet.

Inspired by a Chris Chiego post a week ago and the fact that some of us have more free time in March than we were expecting, I am wondering if people would be interested in working on a project together in the coming weeks. It would be good to have one or two days in particular to have several people working in order to get the project going and/or completed.

If you have some free time for any day(s) in the range of March 20-29, and if there is a project you would like to work on during that time, post here. The idea is that you would be donating your time to a project not designed to bring in revenue. If the project did actually bring in some revenue, then the people who worked on it could figure out which charity to give the money to.

If you are available and willing to contribute, post here to indicate what days you have available and projects you would be willing to work on. The projects could involve writing a set to meet a need that is not being met, increasing/improving quizbowl's online presence, or designing outreach projects. (Now probably is not the time to do outreach, but it could be a good time to make plans for September.)

This is very open-ended now, though if there is interest I would be happy to play a role in turning that interest into something more concrete. I am willing to contribute to this myself.
Last edited by Stained Diviner on Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Re: Joint Quizbowl Project

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

Can we throw out ideas without committing to working on them? There are several projects that I think the quiz bowl community could really use but that I personally don't necessarily have the time to commit to:

1. Incomplete quiz bowl answerlines (failing to include the entire names of countries and their native-language names, original-language titles of creative works, equivalent synonyms, etc.) are a huge pet peeve of mine and the cause of many an unneeded protest and a lot of angst across circuits. Different answerlines between different sets (i.e. "but NAQT accepted that when I gave it as an answer!") are also weird and off-putting. Enter the Standardized Answerline Repository (SAR). Ideally, the SAR would be the source of every quiz bowl set's answerlines. Obviously, each writer could adjust prompts or "accept ____ before"s according to the parameters of their question text, but this measure could save a lot of writing time and energy and reduce protests/streamline protest resolution. It would be a publicly accessible zip file so that anyone can open it up.

2. In the same vein, I had a nascent idea for a phonetic pronunciation guide coding project. Basically, how it works is you would input a block of text, and the program would convert said text to IPA and then a phonetic rendition of said IPA. I'm sure this exists in some Github repo out there, probably for NLP purposes. After running a block of text through the program, it would convert every word to its phonetic pronunciation, after which you could simply pick and choose which phonetic pronunciations to include in your actual packet. Of course, you could change phonetic pronunciations ex post facto to make them easier for American moderators.

3. An implementation of Ophir's "jumping between tossups and bonuses with the stroke of a single key" outside the context of advanced stats. I am guessing this should be fairly straightforward, though I could be wrong.

4. Failing (3), we could have standard README's accompanying electronic sets telling moderators how to most efficiently read the packet file given to them (i.e. how to manipulate the file window so that tossups and bonuses are displayed at the same time on Mac, Windows, and Linux). Firsthand experience tells me this will save lots of time at tournaments. Of course, the README's could be mostly standardized so that individual set packetizers won't have to do much work at all.

5. A true standardized master list of resources for middle school and high school quiz bowl, ideally divided between free and paid resources. Something like Jacob Reed's excellent master list of resources, but for players starting out in middle school and high school. Also, it should include other ancillary resources like PACE's Quizbowl 101 guide and Best of the Best forum threads covering every aspect of a newbie getting into qb.

6. A comprehensive feng shui-incorporating packetization tool, such that the intersection of every reasonable non-contradictory feng shui request can be implemented.

7. I've started a set of standardized flyers for people involved in adjacent academic activities like MUN, speech and debate, robotics, Science Bowl, etc. to also give quiz bowl a shot. Ideally, these could be used by any quizbowler anywhere to gin up interest amongst students in other activities. If you're interested in helping out with that particular project, please PM me with an email and I'll share the Google Drive with you.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
BenWeiner27
Wakka

Post by BenWeiner27 »

i never see pigeons in wheeling wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:06 am Can we throw out ideas without committing to working on them? There are several projects that I think the quiz bowl community could really use but that I personally don't necessarily have the time to commit to:

1. Incomplete quiz bowl answerlines (failing to include the entire names of countries and their native-language names, original-language titles of creative works, equivalent synonyms, etc.) are a huge pet peeve of mine and the cause of many an unneeded protest and a lot of angst across circuits. Different answerlines between different sets (i.e. "but NAQT accepted that when I gave it as an answer!") are also weird and off-putting. Enter the Standardized Answerline Repository (SAR). Ideally, the SAR would be the source of every quiz bowl set's answerlines. Obviously, each writer could adjust prompts or "accept ____ before"s according to the parameters of their question text, but this measure could save a lot of writing time and energy and reduce protests/streamline protest resolution. It would be a publicly accessible zip file so that anyone can open it up.

2. In the same vein, I had a nascent idea for a phonetic pronunciation guide coding project. Basically, how it works is you would input a block of text, and the program would convert said text to IPA and then a phonetic rendition of said IPA. I'm sure this exists in some Github repo out there, probably for NLP purposes. After running a block of text through the program, it would convert every word to its phonetic pronunciation, after which you could simply pick and choose which phonetic pronunciations to include in your actual packet. Of course, you could change phonetic pronunciations ex post facto to make them easier for American moderators.
These two in particular would not only make things easier for players and readers, but also for novice packet writers. One of the most annoying parts of finishing up WAIT was finding and then adding pronunciation guides. A tool to help with that designed specifically for quizbowl would be quite helpful.
Ben Weiner
Wayzata '20
Minnesota '24
VP of Tournament Direction, PACE
Stained Diviner
Auron

Aseem Keyal has worked on pronunciation guides using this list. I don't know the current status of that program or whether he wants help with it.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Oh boy the COVID hackathon.
Ideally, the SAR would be the source of every quiz bowl set's answerlines. Obviously, each writer could adjust prompts or "accept ____ before"s according to the parameters of their question text, but this measure could save a lot of writing time and energy and reduce protests/streamline protest resolution. It would be a publicly accessible zip file so that anyone can open it up.
This would be a really cool idea...if NAQT was willing to share their answerline database, because as it stands right now I don't know if they will. You'd also need someone to maintain it slash update it in case challenges occur.

Some other ideas I had kicking around:
1. Will Alston suggested a career panel at a future high school national tournament, where prominent QB people talk about their career paths. Maybe a podcast series on it as part of our outreach?
2. Anything else Chiego suggests for outreach
3. Developing a template for a QBWiki player page and updating every player's article to follow it. Also more general QBWiki upkeep.
4. Update the hsqb stats database in various ways, including but not limited to adding a functionality like the NAQT database where a player's entire tournament career was available.
Last edited by Sima Guang Hater on Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

I would be down to plan and work on a 24 hour hackathon. I would much prefer this happens in the next two weeks before my spring quarter from hell starts ahead of my qualifying exams in June. Alternatively, such a quizbowl hackathon could occur in the summer. I heartily endorse this idea and think it could be a great way to produce an easy college or high school event. It's pretty easy to use QEMs + my packetizer to put together a set without the need for complicated Google Drive permissions as well. I really like the history feature on QEMs.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

I am thrilled that Reinstein has announced this and hope to see multiple projects come out of it.

As far as outreach goes, I actually think right now would be an excellent time to lay the groundwork for outreach in various regions over the summer and into the Fall; you can make lists of schools, gather contacts, investigate current competitions, and draw up email templates in addition to trying to figure out the schedule of novice events to point new teams to in a region. Then, once late summer rolls around, you can start the outreach push (and I'm starting to come around to the idea that outreach initial contact emails should start in late summer, with follow-ups coming after school starts) with relatively little legwork.

I'm in a bit of a time crunch right now, but here's what I can offer for this project: if any coach, college team, high school team, etc. is interested in outreach in your area, I'm happy to walk you through the process of identifying potential contacts via school/district websites, share some personalized templates for emails, and offer suggestions about timing follow-ups after the initial response and answering common questions. Also, I am very interested in discussing outreach efforts with folks in California, especially in the region between NorCal to SoCal.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Stained Diviner
Auron

I'll try to start signups tonight or tomorrow morning. If you have a project idea that has not already been mentioned, please bring it up now. It does not have to be something you would work on--it should be something that you would like to see exist or be significantly improved.
David Reinstein
Scone
Lulu

Post by Scone »

Perhaps we could start working on another newsletter to expand on ways for prospective programs to get involved and start playing?
Samir Sarma
Eden Prairie '22
Georgia Tech '26
rdc20
Lulu

Post by rdc20 »

Some of the quizbowl-related Wikipedia pages need some work. The NASAT and ACF pages in particular could use better sourcing and detail.
Robert Condron
Strake Jesuit 2020
University of Chicago 2024
Stained Diviner
Auron

Greg Gauthier emailed me to ask about considering JAGUARS 2. Another possibility is a further development of Ophir's stats if he is interested.

(He hasn't posted on the forums since 2010, but we olds remember him.)
David Reinstein
Rikku

Deviant Insider wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:20 pm (He hasn't posted on the forums since 2010, but we olds remember him.)
He staffed the last Cal Cup tournament 2 weeks ago!

In any case, here are a couple more (small-scale) projects to toss onto the pile:

7. A standardized email outreach template for regional circuits along the lines of what Chiego has proposed, but with Mad-Libs style fill-ins. Maybe customize them to different type of admins, like principals, activities coordinators, talented and gifted coordinators, etc. This would make it substantially easier for coaches to just churn out mass emails (or snail mails).
8. Memorized elevator pitch for students in middle school, high school, and college to use on their respective peers. Obviously, the elevator pitch alone can't do the job, but we have to come up with the core of a message that conveys the fun of the activity to those who are looking for a Jeopardy-like game and also an academically serious angle for those who are looking for that.
9. Fundraising guides to teams who want to put together trivia nights or other events to facilitate nationals attendance, along with information on how to request funds from one's own schools. Maybe learn how to solicit prizes for top teams from local Rotary Clubs/Kiwanis/Masonic Lodges. There are also a number of wealthy philanthropists who would value the facets of knowledge we emphasize, and perhaps we can embark on more public-private partnerships or alliances with other activities like America's Battle of the Books to drive interest in both activities.
Ankit
Cal '16
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Deviant Insider wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:20 pm Greg Gauthier emailed me to ask about considering JAGUARS 2. Another possibility is a further development of Ophir's stats if he is interested.

(He hasn't posted on the forums since 2010, but we olds remember him.)
UCSD uses a spreadsheet system on GDocs to keep score for their tournaments. I've thought about working with others associated with the team to improve these stats and allow for at least keeping track of powers and bonuses which should be easy. A lot of tournaments don't even have conversion (i.e. power percentage and ppb) data on each question which would be invaluable when evaluating how hard an answerline or clue actually is.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Stained Diviner
Auron

Here is a sign-up sheet. Please sign up and encourage others to do likewise. Spread the word.

Keep in mind that this whole thing is very open-ended at this point--it might lead to several good outcomes, and it might lead nowhere. At this point, we are finding out whether there are people willing and able to make it productive. I am extending the timeline through the end of April, since this pandemic is not going to end in March.

If you want to add a column, do it before the Outreach columns start, which are currently Column L.

If you sign up to be in a leadership position, then you are stating that you have the appropriate skills to lead the project and that you are willing to put in some preparation time and some follow-up time. If you sign up to be a participant, then you are stating that you have the appropriate skills to be able to contribute and that you will spend at least several hours participating.

I emailed a couple of people, including Aseem, last night night to get their input about this and have not heard back from them (which is very reasonable given the timeframe and the amount of disruption some people are dealing with). If somebody has expertise in both quizbowl and hackathons, and they have time available these days, then they can take this thing over from me. I have never participated in a actual hackathon because they did not exist back when my Applesoft BASIC skills could have been helpful.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

We've got 8 people now, which is good, though more would be better.

Everybody is willing to work on an answer line list. The next most popular item is improving QBWiki/Wikipedia, and there are several other items that have enough interest that they could work.

If you have an opinion on the number of projects that should be undertaken, feel free to comment. If there is a lot of interest in working on answer lines and nobody else wants to lead, I can do so.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

We're now up to twelve people, which is great. If you want to join us, please sign up by midnight at the end of March 19 so that I can contact people to finalize who is doing what when. You'll be able to join after then, but it will be easier to make plans for who is doing what when if you sign up before then.
David Reinstein
Alejandro
Wakka

Post by Alejandro »

i never see pigeons in wheeling wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:06 am 6. A comprehensive feng shui-incorporating packetization tool, such that the intersection of every reasonable non-contradictory feng shui request can be implemented.
Just a warning from someone who's tried this in the past: even simple sounding constraints, like no two questions in a row on Japan or some other topic, can make automatic packetization take too long. The approaches I've seen (shuffle questions in quarter packets, greedy algorithms, fill and distribute excess questions) don't scale well once there are a few constraints. As a result, whoever leads this project should look into more technical approaches like constraint satisfaction solvers or linear programming, or should simplify the problem and ensure that a small set of simple constraints are satisfied.
Alejandro
Naperville Central '07
Harvey Mudd '11
University of Washington '17
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Alejandro wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:08 pm
i never see pigeons in wheeling wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:06 am 6. A comprehensive feng shui-incorporating packetization tool, such that the intersection of every reasonable non-contradictory feng shui request can be implemented.
Just a warning from someone who's tried this in the past: even simple sounding constraints, like no two questions in a row on Japan or some other topic, can make automatic packetization take too long. The approaches I've seen (shuffle questions in quarter packets, greedy algorithms, fill and distribute excess questions) don't scale well once there are a few constraints. As a result, whoever leads this project should look into more technical approaches like constraint satisfaction solvers or linear programming, or should simplify the problem and ensure that a small set of simple constraints are satisfied.
You can see my approach on Github. My idea is that the editors should pick where questions go where in a spreadsheet, indicate those packets on QEMs and have the algorithm sort the questions by category. Hand tuning by editors is always going to be involved and it should always be involved. I've used this approach for both MWT and SUN and I was able to convert hundreds of questions on QEMs into Google Drive pdfs within one hour--most of that was spent saving files as certain Google Doc formats. I also supplemented this with some regex and bash scripting.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Stained Diviner
Auron

Thanks to the people who signed up. The project will occur on Sunday, March 29. If you have not yet signed up but want to, go ahead. There is no longer any need to use the available date column, and we are now down to five possible projects. If you sign up now, you should only sign up for one project. Also, if you know anybody who is not on the forums but might be willing to help, please recruit them.

I have narrowed the possible categories down to five: Answerline List, Advanced Stats by Moderators, QBWiki/Wikipedia, Novice MS Set, and Outreach to Adjacent Acivities.

The Answerline List will be overseen by Jacob O'Rourke.

The Outreach to Adjacent Activities will be overseen by Ankit Aggarwal.

The QBWiki/Wikipedia project does not currently have a leader but will definitely happen. Let me know if you are interested. If nobody else steps forward, I will lead it, though I would prefer that somebody else do it. There may also be an SQBS component to it--converting results from old tournaments that are in spreadsheets to a format that allows them to be posted in the Quizbowl Resource Database.

The Advanced Stats by Moderators and Novice MS Set projects are still on the fence. If you want to save those projects, step forward to lead them soon. At this point, those projects may or may not happen. Those projects are important, and there was some interest in them, so I would like to see at least one of them saved if not both. UPDATE: All five projects are happening.

A huge thanks to everybody who is contributing to this!
Last edited by Stained Diviner on Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Reinstein
Carlos Be
Wakka

Post by Carlos Be »

I have volunteered to spearhead the "advanced stats for moderators" project. Writers and editors have to make a lot of guesses with regards to difficulty, often with very little information. I envision this project as a series of steps that will allow future writers to evaluate their questions with data:

1. Expand individual question stats to every tournament. That is, collect data on tossup conversion, power rate, and bonus part conversion for each question. As Harris mentioned above, this alone would be very helpful for writers and editors. (To clarify, these would be just basic data. I do not think buzzpoints would be useful at this time.)

2. Develop statistics to analyze the data that we collect (and that we have already collected). Think like sabermetrics, but for qb. These statistics could include, for example, something that describes how well a tournament distinguished a given set of teams. There's no point in collecting a bunch of data if we cannot extract useful information from it.

3. With these data and statistics, test hypotheses about writing. Writers already make hypotheses, e.g. "anything in a John Green video is too easy for a lead-in" or "this has x database hits so y people will convert it." This project will test some common hypotheses and provide a framework for future writers to test their own hypotheses.

At the moment, steps 2 and 3 are open-ended. We may narrow the scope of what we'll work on after discussion.

If you're interested in working on this, join this discord.
Justine French
she/her
Stained Diviner
Auron

With Justine taking over advanced stats, the only project that is still up in the air is the Novice MS Set. I'll make a decision on that around the middle of the day Monday. As of right now, it's a No, but we'll do it if somebody steps up to lead either that or the QBWiki project or if a few more interested people sign up for it.
David Reinstein
Alejandro
Wakka

Post by Alejandro »

i never see pigeons in wheeling wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:06 am 3. An implementation of Ophir's "jumping between tossups and bonuses with the stroke of a single key" outside the context of advanced stats. I am guessing this should be fairly straightforward, though I could be wrong.
You can split the window into two, depending on your viewer. You can do this in Word by going to View | Split, which makes the packet look like this. Some PDF viewers let you split the screen too.
Alejandro
Naperville Central '07
Harvey Mudd '11
University of Washington '17
Rikku

Alejandro wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:51 am
i never see pigeons in wheeling wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:06 am 3. An implementation of Ophir's "jumping between tossups and bonuses with the stroke of a single key" outside the context of advanced stats. I am guessing this should be fairly straightforward, though I could be wrong.
You can split the window into two, depending on your viewer. You can do this in Word by going to View | Split, which makes the packet look like this. Some PDF viewers let you split the screen too.
Oh, I’m aware of that, but Ophirstats has a specific key-press functionality (“press space to jump, I think it was”) that would make adapting very easy especially for newer readers (of which the NorCal circuit encounters many).
Ankit
Cal '16
Stained Diviner
Auron

Good news! Colin McNamara will oversee the Novice MS Set, and I will oversee the QBWiki/Wikipedia/SQBS project. Five projects will run. Please keep signing up, and if you signed up when this got started, please get yourself down to one project.

We now have 23 people signed up. That's great, but we could always use more.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Thanks to people signing up. We are now up to 33 and still counting!

I am looking for somebody who can write a script to take information out of some text files and put it in a spreadsheet. It's a pretty easy job, but not so easy that even I can do it. If you can do it today (Wednesday) or tomorrow, let me know.

UPDATE: Ryan Rosenberg did it.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

We are getting organized now, so if you plan on signing up, sign up now. Also, if you did sign up, check your email at least once a day for the next few days to make sure you know what you are supposed to do Sunday and "where" you are supposed to do it.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

If you sign up from here on out, you should add your name to the sheet and contact the person who is leading the project. Don't assume that they will check sign-up sheet from here on out.

If you don't hear from your project leader by noon tomorrow (Saturday), feel free to contact them. When you go to sleep Saturday night, you should know what you are going to do Sunday and have some idea as to how you are going to do it.

Feel free to contact me at any point. We are looking forward to this!
David Reinstein