QBWiki

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

QBWiki

Post by Stained Diviner »

What is the purpose of QBWiki, and how is it succeeding or failing to serve that purpose?

A big part of answering this question is figuring out what the audience is and how well it is serving that audience. It is possible to serve that audience.

Part of answering this question is to ask yourself whether QBWiki has what you want. Is there quizbowl information that does not get updated often and should be easy to find?

Keep in mind that there is a separate thread in the Miscellaneous section for specific aspects that should be improved, so please keep small picture or medium picture issues out of this thread.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
a Joe
Rikku

Re: QBWiki

Post by a Joe »

I confess I've always considered it a massive inside joke. The whole thing is decidedly unserious, no? I'm not really sure there even is an overarching purpose as it stands right now. Perhaps it could become a still-unserious repository of historical data, studying methods, in-jokes, recountings of historical events, and so on. It could use a massive, coordinated update.

That being said, my team first (re-)found out about good Quizbowl back in 2013 when we stumbled across the wiki (we were primarily a Chip team before that), and I'm sure this is not an isolated experience.

As for the audience, I'd say it's simply everyone involved in Quizbowl. I'm always the person who will say it's possible to serve the audience, but it will take a large amount of work. Perhaps this is a unique opportunity to do so.
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Snoopy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:46 am I'm not really sure there even is an overarching purpose as it stands right now. Perhaps it could become a still-unserious repository of historical data, studying methods, in-jokes, recountings of historical events, and so on.
I currently find it indispensable as an archive of data on past tournaments, sets, and teams—I agree that it's really fallen off in the past 5 or so years (but see Stephen Eltinge's really amazing work last year) and that we should absolutely push to fill in the gaps while the info is still readily available.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Marcion of Sinope
Lulu

Post by Marcion of Sinope »

Snoopy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:46 am That being said, my team first (re-)found out about good Quizbowl back in 2013 when we stumbled across the wiki (we were primarily a Chip team before that), and I'm sure this is not an isolated experience.
Yeah, I'll echo this—reading through pages on the QBWiki was a significant part of my introduction to good quiz bowl and to the wider world of the activity outside our circuit in downstate Illinois. There definitely could be a continued role for the wiki to serve as a easy-to-use repository of information, although I'd agree that that it would need quite a bit of work to reach its potential.
Mitch Baron
Yale University '22
New York University '20
Illinois Valley Central High School '16
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

QBWiki was one of the first things I stumbled across when I started playing quizbowl and the biggest thing I can suggest updating is the buzzer systems page. It's extremely outdated and that is what led to me writing my buzzer systems thread last year.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

I'm not completely sure what it would look like, but I think it would be cool to like save/store some of the live blogging done at national tournaments like HSNCT. There's a lot of content/details that get lost if they're immediately captured in the moment, so to speak, and I think that storing some of the liveblogs would be a good way to provide multiple perspectives on different wins and games of the past. I'm sure it would be just transferring a lot of tweets from users like Kyle Hill over to the forums, but that might be easier said than done. What do you guys think?
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF President, PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Thanks for the ideas. Based on this thread, I am going to spend a decent chunk of the day tomorrow looking at the main pages from the point of view of somebody whose only quizbowl involvement is very local, and try to get it to do a better job of connecting them to a good quizbowl circuit.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)