Black Lives Matter: a statement from NAQT

A place to discuss topics affecting quizbowlers as a community rather than quizbowl as a game.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Black Lives Matter: a statement from NAQT

Post by Important Bird Area »

NAQT wrote:NAQT stands against racism and police brutality. We are angered by the unjust killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and so many others. Moreover, this spring's protests have underscored the fact that systemic racism influences every aspect of American life, including quiz bowl. NAQT is committed to ensuring that our questions and our tournaments reflect the world's diversity.

A great deal of work must be done to address the underrepresentation of many communities in quiz bowl, and we recognize that NAQT has a responsibility to join in the struggle against structural racism. We know that we have fallen short in the past, and that we need to do more to encourage the involvement of African-American, Latinx, and Native American students in quiz bowl. We are and will be considering a range of possibilities for concrete action. As we confront these issues we will likely make mistakes; we want to keep listening to the ongoing conversation, and hope that the community will continue to hold us accountable. We look forward to expanding the horizons of the quiz bowl community.
As NAQT prepares to go forward, we want to listen to community voices and contribute to the ongoing conversation. Please feel free to share your thoughts with us: here, through our social media, or by writing to us directly ([email protected]).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred