2021 HSNCT discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2021 HSNCT discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

This is your question-specific discussion thread for the 2021 NAQT HSNCT.

Standard disclaimer:

If you are planning to play a mirror of the 2021 HSNCT set, please do not read further posts in this thread. (There is one mirror currently planned, hosted by Toronto July 10-11; it's possible we may add other mirrors to our schedule.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
meebles127
Tidus

Re: 2021 HSNCT discussion

Post by meebles127 »

Could you please share the bonus from the TJ-Barrington game with the answer line J.K. Rowling?
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Berniecrat
Tidus

Post by Berniecrat »

Could I see the question on I think dissolving the Parliament or something similar to that? The clue about the quote of turkeys voting for Christmas confused me and I ended up negging with Scottish independence referendums (which is wrong, but I'm curious if I missed something in the question.)

Could I also see the question on nuclear envelope? My teammate negged with nucleus on the RAN clue and protested, and the staffers said there were lots of protests on that same clue, so I was wondering if the answer of nucleus was unambiguously wrong at that point.

Thanks!
Arjun Nageswaran
Aptakisic '17
Stevenson '21
Harvard '25
Important Bird Area

meebles127 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:43 pm Could you please share the bonus from the TJ-Barrington game with the answer line J.K. Rowling?
2021 HSNCT round 19 wrote:The claim that "our cultural institutions are facing a moment of trial" appeared in a letter published in Harper's Magazine in 2020. For 10 points each—

A. 153 public figures signed a document titled "a letter on justice" and what other concept?

answer: open debate (prompt on partial answers; accept A Letter on Justice and Open Debate)

B. This British author, who faced backlash in 2020 for transphobic comments such as criticizing an article over its use of the phrase "people who menstruate," was among those who signed the letter.

answer: J. K. Rowling (or Joanne Rowling)

C. The letter was also signed by this American activist, who is often called the "father of modern linguistics."

answer: (Avram) Noam Chomsky
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Berniecrat wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:11 pm Could I see the question on I think dissolving the Parliament or something similar to that? The clue about the quote of turkeys voting for Christmas confused me and I ended up negging with Scottish independence referendums (which is wrong, but I'm curious if I missed something in the question.)

Could I also see the question on nuclear envelope? My teammate negged with nucleus on the RAN clue and protested, and the staffers said there were lots of protests on that same clue, so I was wondering if the answer of nucleus was unambiguously wrong at that point.

Thanks!
2021 HSNCT round 6 wrote:An ill Albert Broughton was absent for a 1979 one of these events, which was likened to "turkeys" voting for an "early Christmas" by James Callaghan. A June 1, 2018 one of these events was initiated over the G\:urtel scandal, and led to the (*) resignation of Mariano Rajoy. Traditionally, a ministership is dissolved following the success of—for 10 points—what type of vote showing the government's lack of parliamentary support?

answer: vote of no confidence (or motion of no confidence; accept no confidence vote (or motion))
2021 HSNCT round 7 wrote:A protein complex in this structure is rich in phenylalanine-glycine repeats. The hydrolysis of GTP by Ran is coupled to transport across this structure by importins and exportins. Lamins are intermediate filaments in the interior of this structure, which contains (*) pore complexes and is disassembled in prophase. For 10 points—what pair of lipid bilayers surrounds the organelle containing a cell's DNA?

answer: nuclear membrane (or nuclear envelope; accept descriptions indicating the membrane of the nucleus; accept nuclear lamina before "lamins"; accept nuclear pores or nuclear pore complexes before "interior"; accept nucleus before "across"; do not accept or prompt on "nucleus" after "across"; do not accept or prompt on "cell membrane" or "membrane" or "envelope")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Berniecrat
Tidus

Post by Berniecrat »

2021 HSNCT round 6 wrote:An ill Albert Broughton was absent for a 1979 one of these events, which was likened to "turkeys" voting for an "early Christmas" by James Callaghan. A June 1, 2018 one of these events was initiated over the G\:urtel scandal, and led to the (*) resignation of Mariano Rajoy. Traditionally, a ministership is dissolved following the success of—for 10 points—what type of vote showing the government's lack of parliamentary support?

answer: vote of no confidence (or motion of no confidence; accept no confidence vote (or motion))
Hm ok I suppose Broughton being absent would rule out any answer related to the Scottish referendum, although I guess some contextual clues would be nice to rule out that (also from Wikipedia it appears his name is Alfred Broughton, which obviously would not affect any gameplay, but maybe something to clean up before the packets are put for sale or whatever?)
2021 HSNCT round 7 wrote:A protein complex in this structure is rich in phenylalanine-glycine repeats. The hydrolysis of GTP by Ran is coupled to transport across this structure by importins and exportins. Lamins are intermediate filaments in the interior of this structure, which contains (*) pore complexes and is disassembled in prophase. For 10 points—what pair of lipid bilayers surrounds the organelle containing a cell's DNA?

answer: nuclear membrane (or nuclear envelope; accept descriptions indicating the membrane of the nucleus; accept nuclear lamina before "lamins"; accept nuclear pores or nuclear pore complexes before "interior"; accept nucleus before "across"; do not accept or prompt on "nucleus" after "across"; do not accept or prompt on "cell membrane" or "membrane" or "envelope")
Was the part about accepting nucleus before "across" in the original set or was that afterwards ? My teammate buzzed around the Ran clue before "across" was mentioned and was negged because of answerline instructions, and his protest on that (which ended up mattering for game outcome) was denied.
Arjun Nageswaran
Aptakisic '17
Stevenson '21
Harvard '25
Important Bird Area

Berniecrat wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:57 pm it appears his name is Alfred Broughton, which obviously would not affect any gameplay, but maybe something to clean up before the packets are put for sale or whatever?)
Good catch! I'll go get that fixed.
Berniecrat wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:57 pm

Was the part about accepting nucleus before "across" in the original set or was that afterwards ? My teammate buzzed around the Ran clue before "across" was mentioned and was negged because of answerline instructions, and his protest on that (which ended up mattering for game outcome) was denied.
This was indeed an update we made earlier today. Here's the version as-read on Saturday:
original answer line from 2021 HSNCT round 7 wrote:nuclear membrane (or nuclear envelope; accept nuclear lamina before "lamins"; accept descriptions indicating the membrane of the nucleus; do not accept or prompt on "nucleus"; do not accept or prompt on "cell membrane" or "membrane" or "envelope")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Gemomania
Lulu

Post by Gemomania »

May I see the flipping a coin tossup?
anuttam
sagittarius '22
cal
Abdon Ubidia
Wakka

Post by Abdon Ubidia »

Important Bird Area wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:05 pm This was indeed an update we made earlier today. Here's the version as-read on Saturday:
Was it realized after the fact that the ruling on the protest had been incorrect, or is there some other reason for the updated answerline not reflecting the protest resolution?
Anson Berns
Montgomery Blair '19
Brown '23
Important Bird Area

Gemomania wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:19 pm May I see the flipping a coin tossup?
2021 HSNCT round 5 wrote:After the last instance of this repeated action, two men briefly discuss how fingernails and beards grow after death. An "Elizabethan" who passes the time by performing this action suggests "divine intervention" may explain why (*) 92 instances of it produce the same outcome. At the start of a Tom Stoppard play, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern repeatedly perform—for 10 points—what action, resulting in all heads and no tails?

answer: flipping a coin (accept coin flips or tossing a coin or other synonyms; prompt on partial answers)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Berniecrat wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:57 pmWas the part about accepting nucleus before "across" in the original set or was that afterwards ? My teammate buzzed around the Ran clue before "across" was mentioned and was negged because of answerline instructions, and his protest on that (which ended up mattering for game outcome) was denied.
Even without the update to the answerline, your teammate should have gotten points for that answer on the protest (or at the very least been prompted). The entire clue that had been read specifically referred to the nuclear pore complex, which can reasonably said to be "in" the nucleus by virtue of being part of the nuclear envelope (which is a part of the nucleus, clearly).
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

Abdon Ubidia wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:30 pm
Important Bird Area wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:05 pm This was indeed an update we made earlier today. Here's the version as-read on Saturday:
Was it realized after the fact that the ruling on the protest had been incorrect, or is there some other reason for the updated answerline not reflecting the protest resolution?
The updated answerline should exactly reflect the protest resolution.

edit for clarity: As the HSNCT Science Editor, I re-wrote this answerline to exactly reflect the decisions made by the protest committee.
Last edited by touchpack on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT
Halinaxus
Wakka

Post by Halinaxus »

Are the scoresheets from HSNCT publicly available anywhere (or are there plans for them to be)? I know there used to be links from the games pages on NAQT's website to the scoresheets from most of the Minnesota tournaments earlier this year, but those seem to have been removed (although I can still access the ones I already viewed from my Google Drive).

If there's a reason for this (privacy concerns, a lot of work to set up, etc.) I completely understand. However, I really appreciated visually seeing the progression of my team's games from earlier this year and I suspect a lot of other people might find it useful as well. I would think setting this up would be as simple as putting them in a Drive folder set to "anyone on the web can view but not edit," but I'm obviously not privy to how NAQT handles online scoresheets.
Reilly Melville
Chaska High School '22
Purdue University '26
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

May I see the Resident Evil TU, the Borderlands BU, and the WoW BU? Thank you!
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF President, PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021
geetan_madala
Lulu

Post by geetan_madala »

Can I see the Hawthorne and Gibraltar tossups? Thanks in advance.
Geetan Madala
President/Founder - Wakeland Quiz Bowl
c/o '23
Important Bird Area

Halinaxus wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:18 pm Are the scoresheets from HSNCT publicly available anywhere (or are there plans for them to be)? I know there used to be links from the games pages on NAQT's website to the scoresheets from most of the Minnesota tournaments earlier this year, but those seem to have been removed (although I can still access the ones I already viewed from my Google Drive).

If there's a reason for this (privacy concerns, a lot of work to set up, etc.) I completely understand. However, I really appreciated visually seeing the progression of my team's games from earlier this year and I suspect a lot of other people might find it useful as well. I would think setting this up would be as simple as putting them in a Drive folder set to "anyone on the web can view but not edit," but I'm obviously not privy to how NAQT handles online scoresheets.
We do not plan to make scoresheets from our championships available to the general public. Please contact us directly ([email protected]) if your team has a particular reason to request a particular scoresheet and we may be able to provide screenshots.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Halinaxus
Wakka

Post by Halinaxus »

Important Bird Area wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:42 pm
We do not plan to make scoresheets from our championships available to the general public. Please contact us directly ([email protected]) if your team has a particular reason to request a particular scoresheet and we may be able to provide screenshots.
Not a problem, just curious. Thank you for the quick reply!

On an unrelated note, may I please see the tossup on naval mines? I believe it was in round 11, though it might have been 12 or 13. I remember getting it on the "magnetic type" clue and being a little surprised I was still in power. Thanks again in advance!
Reilly Melville
Chaska High School '22
Purdue University '26
Important Bird Area

ganman0305 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:25 pm May I see the Resident Evil TU, the Borderlands BU, and the WoW BU? Thank you!
2021 HSNCT round 19 wrote:This video game's "Dashing Dad" challenge requires players finish it in under 3 hours. "Maiden" was a PlayStation 5-only demo for this game, in which weapons can be upgraded by visiting the Duke's Emporium. Tomonori Takano confirmed that, counting hat and high heels, a character in this game is (*) 9'6" tall. Ethan Winters meets the vampire-like Lady Dimitrescu in—for 10 points—what May 2021 entry in the Resident Evil series?

answer: Resident Evil Village (or Resident Evil VIII or RE8; accept 8 by itself after "Evil"; prompt on "Resident Evil" or "RE" before "Resident")
2021 HSNCT round 5 wrote:In a DLC episode, one of these beings is altered to become an "Interplanetary Ninja Assassin." For 10 points each—

A. Name these one-wheeled robots manufactured by Hyperion. One of them is a playable character in a game subtitled "The Pre-Sequel."

answer: Claptrap(s) (accept CL4P-TP; prompt on "Fragtrap")

B. Claptrap robots appear in this Gearbox looter-shooter FPS series about groups of Vault Hunters. Its third installment was released in 2019.

answer: Borderlands (accept Borderlands 3)

C. The Borderlands games center on a planet with this name, which has a moon named Elpis. Kratos rescues an artificial girl with this name in God of War 3.

answer: Pandora
2021 HSNCT round 13 wrote:A 2005 "corrupted blood" plague that broke out in this video game was studied as a model for real-life pandemics by epidemiologists. For 10 points each—

A. Name this Blizzard MMORPG that depicts the unending battle between the Alliance and the Horde.

answer: World of WarCraft or WOW (do not accept or prompt on "Warcraft" by itself)

B. Players were first infected with corrupted blood via the Zul'Gurub one of these events, in which a large group of players collaborates to explore a dungeon and defeat a powerful boss.

answer: raids

C. The corrupted blood plague wiped out nearly every character who visited this city, the capital of the dwarves and home of numerous smiths.

answer: Ironforge
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Abdon Ubidia
Wakka

Post by Abdon Ubidia »

touchpack wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:03 pm

edit for clarity: As the HSNCT Science Editor, I re-wrote this answerline to exactly reflect the decisions made by the protest committee.
I'm a bit confused then why the Stevenson protest that started this thread didn't go through considering
Berniecrat wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:57 pm My teammate buzzed around the Ran clue before "across" was mentioned
Does this account differ from the way the protest was relayed to the committee?
Anson Berns
Montgomery Blair '19
Brown '23
Important Bird Area

geetan_madala wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:28 pm Can I see the Hawthorne and Gibraltar tossups? Thanks in advance.
2021 HSNCT round 10 wrote:In a story by this author, Annie asks "is it alive?" after being given a late gift for her wedding to Robert Danforth, a mechanical butterfly made by Owen Warland. This author depicted a couple being told "Welcome, my children, to the (*) communion of your race" in a story whose title character sees his wife Faith at a Witches' Sabbath. For 10 points—name this author of "The Artist of the Beautiful" and "Young Goodman Brown."
2021 HSNCT round 11 wrote:George Rodney resupplied this territory after winning the Battle of Cape St. Vincent. "Red hot shot" was used to destroy "floating batteries" built during an attempt to capture this territory. Richard Howe's convoy action ended a "great" siege of this territory that began in 1779. Like (*) Minorca, this territory became British under the Treaty of Utrecht. For 10 points—name this "rock" near the tip of the Iberian Peninsula.

answer: Gibraltar (accept Great Siege of Gibraltar or Rock of Gibraltar)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Halinaxus wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:48 pm On an unrelated note, may I please see the tossup on naval mines? I believe it was in round 11, though it might have been 12 or 13. I remember getting it on the "magnetic type" clue and being a little surprised I was still in power. Thanks again in advance!
2021 HSNCT round 11 wrote:Two boys died examining one of these non-vehicle weapons developed by David Bushnell during the Revolutionary War. Albert Hertz invented a "horn" for these devices that used chromic acid to generate an electrical trigger. A magnetic type of these weapons are named for their resemblance to (*) limpets. Small namesake vessels "sweep" to find—for 10 points—what unmanned weapons that, upon contact with ships, explode?

answer: naval mines (accept answers such as river mine or underwater mine that identify an explosive mine deployed in water; prompt on "bomb(s)" or "explosive(s)" or "torpedo(s)"; do not accept or prompt on "land mine(s)" or "depth charge(s)")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Could I see the TU on Heather Heyer please?
Em Gunter

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
nickdai
Wakka

Post by nickdai »

Could I see the Zerg tossup? Thank you!
Nicholas "Nicc" Dai
戴若涵

Westview High School '21
University of California, San Diego '25
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

meebles127 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:36 pm Could I see the TU on Heather Heyer please?
I think this was a bonus part.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Cheynem wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:54 pm
meebles127 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:36 pm Could I see the TU on Heather Heyer please?
Well the bonus then.
Em Gunter

Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

meebles127 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:04 am
Cheynem wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Well the bonus then.
The bonus part on Heather Heyer incorrectly said "Chancellorsville" instead of "Charlottesville" during gameplay. We have corrected this error, and I apologize for the mistake.
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
Important Bird Area

nickdai wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:42 pm Could I see the Zerg tossup? Thank you!
2021 HSNCT round 15 wrote:A leader of this race led an assault on Augustgrad, the site of a Keystone that inspired the Second Great War. Members of this race on the planet Char were recruited by Zagara. Sarah Kerrigan was assimilated into this race, whose players immediately build (*) spawning pools to set up their namesake aggressive "rush." For 10 points—name this xenomorphic alien race that fights the Terrans and Protoss in the StarCraft games.

answer: Zerg (or Zerg Swarm or Zerg rush; prompt on "(the) swarm")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

joshxu
Lulu

Post by joshxu »

Can I see the bonus that was attached to the aldosterone tossup in Round 15? I'm curious to see what we would've gotten had we converted the tossup. I'd also like to see bonus 7 from Round 15—I believe it was biology but I'm not entirely certain. Thanks in advance!
Josh Xu

Santa Monica High School (Class of 2021, Captain, Team President)
UCLA (Class of 2025)
nolanjunes
Lulu

Post by nolanjunes »

Can I see the Indiana tossup from Round 4? I was confused as to why the answer to the clue in the first line from God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater was not Rhode Island.
Nolan Jones
Carmel High School '22
Purdue University '26
Important Bird Area

joshxu wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:54 am Can I see the bonus that was attached to the aldosterone tossup in Round 15? I'm curious to see what we would've gotten had we converted the tossup. I'd also like to see bonus 7 from Round 15—I believe it was biology but I'm not entirely certain. Thanks in advance!
2021 HSNCT round 15 wrote:In the 1800s immigrants from what is now this country introduced kolache pastries to Texas. For 10 points each—

A. What modern-day country contains the city of Pilsen, where ethnically-German brewers invented pilsner beer in 1842?

answer: Czech Republic(or Czechia or Cesko or Ceska Republika; do not accept or prompt on "Czechoslovakia")

B. In 1516 a "beer purity law" was adopted in this Bavarian city, which hosts Oktoberfest.

answer: Munich

C. Prior to World War II, millions of ethnic Germans had lived alongside Czechs in this border region, which was annexed by Nazi Germany in 1938.

answer: Sudetenland
2021 HSNCT round 15 wrote:This species is the only member of superorder Xenarthra to have colonized the U.S. For 10 points each—

A. Name this insect-eating mammal whose unique flexible armored carapace provides protection from large predators.

answer: nine-banded armadillo (or Dasypus novemcinctus)

B. Armadillos are used as a laboratory model for this disease, which—like tuberculosis—is caused by a Mycobacterium. This long-term infection may cause skin lesions and nerve damage.

answer: leprosy (or Hansen's disease; accept lepers)

C. Nine-banded armadillos exhibit an unusual form of polyembryony in which they always give birth to this many identical offspring.

answer: 4 or four
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

nolanjunes wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:43 pm Can I see the Indiana tossup from Round 4? I was confused as to why the answer to the clue in the first line from God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater was not Rhode Island.
2021 HSNCT round 4 wrote:Eliot claims numerous residents of this state are his children to keep his fortune out of Fred's hands in Kurt Vonnegut's God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater. A battle in what is now this state ended with the burning of Prophetstown in 1811. The Battle of (*) Tippecanoe took place in this state, whose fictional town of Pawnee is the setting of Parks and Recreation. For 10 points—name this setting of the basketball film Hoosiers.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Woody
Lulu

Post by Woody »

Important Bird Area wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:24 pm
nolanjunes wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:43 pm Can I see the Indiana tossup from Round 4? I was confused as to why the answer to the clue in the first line from God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater was not Rhode Island.
2021 HSNCT round 4 wrote:Eliot claims numerous residents of this state are his children to keep his fortune out of Fred's hands in Kurt Vonnegut's God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater. A battle in what is now this state ended with the burning of Prophetstown in 1811. The Battle of (*) Tippecanoe took place in this state, whose fictional town of Pawnee is the setting of Parks and Recreation. For 10 points—name this setting of the basketball film Hoosiers.
Thanks for asking about this tossup, I wanted to see it as well! Eliot Rosewater is from Indiana, Fred Rosewater is from Rhode Island -- this clue is correctly pointing to the children of Rosewater, Indiana. I was very excited to see this clue come up as a first-line clue, as God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater is one of my favorite novels.
Jimmy Dunn
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl 2004-2009
Michigan State University 2009-2013
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl Coach 2017-present
Important Bird Area

Abdon Ubidia wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:54 pm
touchpack wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:03 pm

I'm a bit confused then why the Stevenson protest that started this thread didn't go through considering
Berniecrat wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:57 pm My teammate buzzed around the Ran clue before "across" was mentioned
Does this account differ from the way the protest was relayed to the committee?
We're looking into the details of what went wrong about this protest situation; expect a fuller statement from NAQT with more information in the next few days.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

joshxu
Lulu

Post by joshxu »

Could I see the German Requiem tossup from Round 7? Just wanted to see some of the clues again. Thanks!
Josh Xu

Santa Monica High School (Class of 2021, Captain, Team President)
UCLA (Class of 2025)
Important Bird Area

joshxu wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:46 pm Could I see the German Requiem tossup from Round 7? Just wanted to see some of the clues again. Thanks!
2021 HSNCT round 7 wrote:This work's third movement begins with a bass soloist singing Psalm 39. George Bernard Shaw quipped this work was "patiently borne only by the corpse." Violins are omitted from the first movement of this work, in which sopranos first enter singing an F—A—B-flat motif on the text (*) "Selig sind," part of a libretto assembled from the Luther Bible. For 10 points—name this vernacular work for the dead, by Johannes Brahms.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Gemomania
Lulu

Post by Gemomania »

I unrelatedly found out today that penguin and random house have been merged into one company for some time. For the bonus that asked for the largest publishing company, or something to that effect, we were going between penguin and random house, deciding on the former and being told the answer was the latter. Is the answerline correct, or have I missed something or misremembered? May I see that bonus?
Last edited by Gemomania on Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anuttam
sagittarius '22
cal
Important Bird Area

Gemomania wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:53 pm I unrelatedly found out today that penguin and random house have been merged into one company for some time. For the bonus that asked for the largest publishing company, or something to that effect, we were going between penguin and random house, deciding on the former and being told the answer was the latter. Is the answerline correct, or have I missed something or misremembered? May I see that bonus?
2021 HSNCT round 13 wrote:Cornelis de Houtman's expedition to the East Indies landed at this port city. For 10 points each—

A. What Indonesian city names a type of small chicken, which in turn names a combat sports weight class between flyweight and featherweight?

answer: Bantam (or Banten; accept bantamweight)

B. During World War I, "bantam" battalions—such as those of the Cheshire Regiment—were formed from men who did not meet this organization's usual height requirement. In the 18th century its members were sometimes called "redcoats."

answer: British Army (accept U.K. Army; prompt on "army" or answers like "British military"; do not accept or prompt on "Royal Army")

C. Bantam Books, whose name comes from its specialty in producing small paperbacks, is a subsidiary of this largest paperback publisher in the world.

answer: Random House
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

angrybird
Kimahri

Post by angrybird »

I was wondering if conversion/power/neg/ppb stats for the field have been calculated yet.

If so, could you say what were the 5 most powered questions and the 5 least powered questions (in prelims or the first 2 or 3 rounds of playoffs, as after that a lot fewer teams played the rounds)?

Could you similarly reveal the 5 bonuses with the highest average ppb and the 5 bonuses with the lowest average ppb?

Thank you.
Zaid Siddiqui
Detroit Country Day School
Important Bird Area

angrybird wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:24 pm I was wondering if conversion/power/neg/ppb stats for the field have been calculated yet.
We don't have these available just yet.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Important Bird Area wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:57 pm We're looking into the details of what went wrong about this protest situation; expect a fuller statement from NAQT with more information in the next few days.
The protest was relayed to the protest committee as described by Arjun. The protest committee decided that Stevenson deserved points for buzzing in right after "Ran" and providing the answer "nucleus." The resolution of this protest was not properly communicated to the moderator and scorekeeper in the game room. As a result, Stevenson never received the points they should have earned, which would certainly have flipped the game result, since it ended as a 5-point loss for Stevenson.

We apologize profusely to the Stevenson team for this error. We will adjust the official score for this game, and the prelim records for Stevenson and Carmel A. Unfortunately, we cannot know what impact different playoff seeding might have had on the playoff results and final standings.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Woody
Lulu

Post by Woody »

Important Bird Area wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:02 pm
Gemomania wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:53 pm I unrelatedly found out today that penguin and random house have been merged into one company for some time. For the bonus that asked for the largest publishing company, or something to that effect, we were going between penguin and random house, deciding on the former and being told the answer was the latter. Is the answerline correct, or have I missed something or misremembered? May I see that bonus?
2021 HSNCT round 13 wrote:Cornelis de Houtman's expedition to the East Indies landed at this port city. For 10 points each—

A. What Indonesian city names a type of small chicken, which in turn names a combat sports weight class between flyweight and featherweight?

answer: Bantam (or Banten; accept bantamweight)

B. During World War I, "bantam" battalions—such as those of the Cheshire Regiment—were formed from men who did not meet this organization's usual height requirement. In the 18th century its members were sometimes called "redcoats."

answer: British Army (accept U.K. Army; prompt on "army" or answers like "British military"; do not accept or prompt on "Royal Army")

C. Bantam Books, whose name comes from its specialty in producing small paperbacks, is a subsidiary of this largest paperback publisher in the world.

answer: Random House
I think the answerline for part C should be adjusted to "Penguin Random House" with prompts on "Penguin" or "Random House" individually

EDIT: Actually, technically it's the subsidiary of the subsidiary of Penguin Random House, so that would make the question incorrect. I think it would be better rephrased to "Bantam Books, whose name comes from its specialty in producing small paperbacks, is a subsidiary of this other publisher which merged with Penguin Group in 2013"
Jimmy Dunn
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl 2004-2009
Michigan State University 2009-2013
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl Coach 2017-present
cyoung
Kimahri

Post by cyoung »

Could you share the tossup on Vampire Weekend? I'm just curious to see what else was clued.

Thanks in advance!

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
C Young
BHS '24
Important Bird Area

cyoung wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:28 pm Could you share the tossup on Vampire Weekend? I'm just curious to see what else was clued.

Thanks in advance!
2021 HSNCT round 7 wrote:A 2013 song by this band declares "it's etiquette, you idiot, spend time behind the line." In 2016 producer Rostam Batmanglij left this band, which interpolated the closing line of their song "Finger Back," "I don't wanna live like (*) this, but I don't wanna die," in their song "Harmony Hall." Father of the Bride is a 2019 album by—for 10 points—what band led by Ezra Koenig that also released Modern Vampires of the City?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

PieInTheSky
Lulu

Post by PieInTheSky »

Can you share the bonus question with "springbok" as one of its answers?

Thanks!
Chinmay Sahasrabudhe
EB '21
Illinois '25
Important Bird Area

PieInTheSky wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:28 pm Can you share the bonus question with "springbok" as one of its answers?
2021 HSNCT round 4 wrote:Isolated mountains found in this terrain are locally known as kopjes. For 10 points each—

A. What South African term describes the large flat plateaus of short grass that cover much of the country, including a "High" example in the east?

answer: veld (or veldt; accept Highveld)

B. This small country, which lies between South Africa and Mozambique, is also largely covered by veld.

answer: Eswatini or Swaziland (or Kingdom of Swaziland or Kingdom of Eswatini or Umbuso weSwatini)

C. This variety of antelope inhabits the western parts of the Highveld as well as the Kalahari Desert. It lends its name to the national rugby team of South Africa.

answer: springboks (accept Antidorcas marsupialis; prompt on "bok(s)")
(The directive to prompt on "bok" is a ruling from the protest committee.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

etotheipi
Lulu

Post by etotheipi »

Can I see the tossup on LaTeX and the 20th tossup of round 12?
Arya Karthik (they)

Lambert HS, 2018-22
Georgia Tech, 2022-24
St. Catherine's College, Oxford, 2024-25

2022 PACE NSC; 2023 ACF Nationals
Important Bird Area

etotheipi wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:45 pm Can I see the tossup on LaTeX and the 20th tossup of round 12?
2021 HSNCT round 9 wrote:This system's current version is "2e," which is stylized with an epsilon. Oren Patashnik developed a reference management utility for this system, whose name reflects Leslie Lamport's modification of an underlying system created by Donald Knuth. Computer Modern is the default (*) typeface used in—for 10 points—what plain text document-preparation system, often used in academia, that is based on the TeX typesetting system?

answer: LaTeX (do not accept or prompt on "TeX")
2021 HSNCT round 12 wrote:A song by this man that was sampled in Will Smith's song "Wild Wild West" remembers a time when "my only worry was, for Christmas, what would be my toy?" Another of this man's hits warns "when you believe in things that you don't (*) understand / then you suffer." "I Wish" appeared on this man's album Songs in the Key of Life. "Superstition" and "Isn't She Lovely" are songs by—for 10 points—what blind African-American soul singer?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Arjun_G
Lulu

Post by Arjun_G »

Could I see the literature tossup with the answerline "Greece"? Thanks in advance.
Arjun Gonuguntla
Mira Loma High School
2019 - Present
Important Bird Area

Arjun_G wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:30 am Could I see the literature tossup with the answerline "Greece"? Thanks in advance.
2021 HSNCT round 12 wrote:The assassination of a politician from this country is fictionalized in the novel Z. An author from this country wrote about an 1889 rebellion in a novel variously known as Freedom and Death or Captain Michalis. In a novel set in this country, the narrator opens a lignite mine and befriends the title Romanian-born (*) santuri player. For 10 points—name this country home to a Nikos Kazantzakis character named Zorba.

answer: Greece (or Hellenic Republic or Ellas or Ellada or Elliniki Dhimokratia; prompt on "(Zorba the) Greek" after "lignite")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

Important Bird Area wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:00 am
2021 HSNCT round 9 wrote:This system's current version is "2e," which is stylized with an epsilon. Oren Patashnik developed a reference management utility for this system, whose name reflects Leslie Lamport's modification of an underlying system created by Donald Knuth. Computer Modern is the default (*) typeface used in—for 10 points—what plain text document-preparation system, often used in academia, that is based on the TeX typesetting system?

answer: LaTeX (do not accept or prompt on "TeX")
explicitly rejecting tex seems very harsh

maybe the hs curriculum has changed, but i was curious that this got tossed up given that it is mostly a thing college students & academics use
Eleanor
they/she