2022 PACE NSC Writing and Editing Application

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
Mike Bentley
Sin

2022 PACE NSC Writing and Editing Application

Post by Mike Bentley »

Hi everyone, this is an open call for editors and writers for the 2022 PACE National Scholastic Championship. To apply, please email me at [email protected]. Applications should be sent by Saturday, August 21st.

Applicants must have already graduated from high school and cannot be directly involved with any high school team.

For writers, please send along 4 sample questions that you've written (these do not have to be new questions) along with a general sense of what categories you like writing (you're not bound to write for just these categories). You can also include a brief statement about yourself, but this is not required. Writers and editors from last year's set do not need to re-apply to be writers. I'll be contacting that group separately.

Note that for newer writers, consider checking out the PACE Mentor program. More details on this year's program will be announced soon. This is a great way to get some guidance on question writing and is a path to writing for the NSC.

For editors, please send along 4 sample questions in each category that you are applying to edit to (along with which categories you'd like to edit). You can choose more categories than you'll end up editing. Typically, most editors will end up with about 2/2 of the set to edit. So, for instance, you could apply to edit for all of the science categories and then be assigned to edit the biology and chemistry. Please also include a short statement on your previous editing history and any editing philosophy you might have.

Editors should know that I plan on setting early deadlines for finishing this year's set so there's enough time to playtest and polish. Please schedule for having the majority of your work done in April.

I'd really love to get a diverse crew working on this year's set. If you're thinking about applying but are on the fence,I really encourage you to do so! I'm also happy to answer any questions privately too.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: 2022 PACE NSC Writing and Editing Application

Post by Mike Bentley »

Reminder to get editor applications in this week. Would be great to get a few more applications!
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Thanks to everyone who applied. I'll try to have responses by this weekend or early next week. Editor applications are likely closed but writers may continue to apply throughout the fall.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

As we hit the home stretch in set production, it'd be great to bring on board a few more writers interested in producing biology and chemistry questions. Email me at [email protected] if you're interested.

I'm also looking for volunteers for any of the following roles on the set:
-Second round of playtesting (will start in May)
-Asynchronously reading through some of the set and providing feedback
-Proofreading

Email me if interested. Thanks!
Mike Bentley