WEEKZERO (FBS College Football, 2010 - Present)

Old college threads.

When would be best to play these questions?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:39 am

Thursday, August 12 at 10 PM Eastern
43%
Saturday, August 14 at 8 PM Eastern
43%
Some other time (maybe the week of August 16-20?)
14%
I'm not going to play this but do enjoy pressing buttons
No votes

Total votes: 7

EvanKnox
Lulu

WEEKZERO (FBS College Football, 2010 - Present)

Post by EvanKnox »

EDIT -- Here's the set on the packet archive: https://trash.quizbowlpackets.com/2671/

Howdy y’all! In celebration of the return of college football, I’ve written 80 and change tossups focused on FBS college football from the start of the 2010 season (e.g. Cam Newton’s Heisman year) through now, which roughly corresponds to the time period in which I’ve watched college football. Tentatively, I’m hoping to read 40 of these questions on Thursday, August 12 at 10 PM Eastern (see poll to give opinions on that & alternate times), in #packet on the main Quizbowl Discord; if there’s interest I can read the rest of the questions, potentially at some other time, otherwise I’ll go ahead and upload the questions to the packet archive after the first reading.

I haven’t playtested these questions or anything, and in some cases it’s rather unclear to me which clues are easier or harder, so while it might be a fun time, I wouldn’t expect a polished or high-quality experience.

Additional details:

Title: WEEKZERO (When Evan Easily Kindles Zeal for Educational Recreation Opportunities)

Content: As stated, this is focused on FBS College Football, roughly August 2010 to present. This isn’t strictly enforced for clues, so clues from before August 2010 or clues about upcoming events in the 2021 season, clues from other leagues (e.g. FCS, NFL/NFL Draft, maybe CFL), and very occasionally clues from other sports (e.g. NBA, NASCAR) are included. However, the idea is that every answer is at least a little relevant to the events of these last 11 FBS college football seasons or the offseasons in between them, and there should be some college football clues within each question.

Otherwise, this is largely just stuff I thought would be fun to write, with a few concessions to making sure there’s some geographic diversity; I have no predetermined distribution geographically or time-period-wise or whatnot, so this isn’t intended to be comprehensive or equally representative or anything.

EDIT -- Here's my format-based distribution for the set:

Out of 80 tossups (the whole packet, save a few extras)
Games (e.g. 2020 UAB vs. Louisiana Tech) -- 8 questions
Matchups (e.g. UAB vs. Louisiana Tech, UAB vs. Memphis/"The Battle for the Bones") -- 6 questions
Schools (e.g. UAB) -- 10 questions
Team-Years (e.g. 2017 UAB) -- 4 questions
Players (e.g. Spencer Brown, UAB quarterbacks) -- 8 questions
Plays (e.g. 2017 UAB blocked field goal vs. Louisiana Tech, UAB kickoff return TD's -- don't worry, the plays should be more memorable than this) -- 8 questions
Locations (e.g. Legion Field, Camellia Bowl, Birmingham AL) -- 10 questions
Coaches (e.g. Bill Clark) -- 6 questions
Miscellaneous (e.g. Milo's Sweet Tea, Komodo Dragons, anything that doesn't seem to fit elsewhere) -- 20 questions

Format: As stated, they’re all tossups. They are not powermarked.

For years, my convention is to use the year games occurred in for games (e.g. the most recent national championship game is the 2021 CFP National Championship Game), but to use the year most of the games occurred in for the season itself (e.g. Alabama’s most recent season is 2020 Alabama, although 2020-2021 Alabama is obviously still fine to say too).

EDIT: after some discussion on the Discord, I'm going to be more generous with years (like in national championship games, so you can give the season's year as well), and with descriptions of games and team-years also more accepted than previous (which is something I'd started doing when I wrote this, but I get less fun when I get busy).

The “this _____” can get a bit confusing, since “this game” could theoretically mean an individual game (e.g. 2020 UAB vs. Louisiana Tech) or a bowl/bowl-like game (e.g. Peach Bowl, C-USA championship game), particularly on early clues. I'm still trying to think my way around that, so maybe it'll improve, but just know what to expect. For instances other than “this game”, I’ve tried to alleviate difficulties with liberal pre-question notes.

Hope to see y'all for the reading!
Last edited by EvanKnox on Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Evan Knox
Cedar Shoals HS '14, UGA '19, Duke '22
$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy
Lulu

Re: WEEKZERO (FBS College Football, 2010 - Present)

Post by $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy »

Hello based department?!?
Sam Rombro
Arizona '20
Maryland '18
Writer, NAQT (inactive)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'd like to see you read all 80 as 4 packets of like a Zoom event that requires a small admission fee. I dislike playing events I really enjoy in gigantic shootout atmospheres. This sadly is a decade past the decade I truly loved college football, but I'm interested.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Evan has graciously offered to send this packet to read on CO weekend, so for people in attendance who want to play some shootout questions (probably on Sunday sometime), this might be a fun idea.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
EvanKnox
Lulu

Post by EvanKnox »

Howdy again everyone! As Dr. Cheyne mentioned, it sounds like some folks may read this at Chicago Open, so I'll be delaying posting the set on the archives until after that happens.

For folks who aren't going to play these questions at Chicago Open, I'm going to go ahead and hold readings in #packet. The poll suggests that some folks would find both Thursday and Saturday best, and both have more folks than next week; as such, I'll plan to read at least the first 40 questions on Thursday, August 12 at 10 PM Eastern, and at least the last 40 and change questions on Saturday, August 14 at 8 PM Eastern.

Looking forward to seeing y'all there!
Last edited by EvanKnox on Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan Knox
Cedar Shoals HS '14, UGA '19, Duke '22
EvanKnox
Lulu

Post by EvanKnox »

Sorry for late notice -- the reading tonight at 8 PM Eastern (e.g. 20 minutes from now) will be in #packet2 and the corresponding voice channel. Hope to see you there!

EDIT: With all the Discord readings done, here are the scores from them!

Scores from first 40:
Sarah Mueller: 180 (20/4)
Josiah Takang: 40 (6/4)
Erik Bubolz: 35 (6/5)
StephenB: 15 (2/1)
William Barnes: 15 (3/3)
Harris: -15 (2/7)

Scores from second 47:
Sarah Mueller: 200 (21/2)
Josiah Takang: 85 (11/5)
StephenB: 35 (4/1)
Erik Bubolz: 35 (5/3)