Announcement: Dede Allen Audio Film Tournament (Online, Asynchronous Audio Tournament)--October 18 to October 29

Old college threads.
magin
Auron

Announcement: Dede Allen Audio Film Tournament (Online, Asynchronous Audio Tournament)--October 18 to October 29

Post by magin »

Jules Bosse and I are pleased to announce the Dede Allen Audio Film Tournament, an online, asynchronous audio film tournament. It will use basically the same format as MARCATO, PAVEMENT, and MIKE (players listen to audio clips of about 65 to 75 seconds arranged in pyramidal order). All the clues will be audio snippets taken from or related to movies.

It’s a doubles tournament, so players should sign up as teams of 2.

This tournament has at least 10 rounds of 20 tossups. Instead of playing one team at a time, a complete field round robin will be simulated each round. If there are 16 teams in the field, you’ll have an aggregate score between 15-0 and 0-15 each round. That way, you’ll see how you performed against the field every round.

The tournament will be played on QBlitz, and cost $15 a person to play. Players should register and pay on QBlitz at this link: https://www.qblitz.online/events#Audio_Challenge. If price is an issue, or if you’re having trouble registering, please let me know.

If you're interested in playing, please sign up here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The current plan is for the first 8 rounds to count for a team’s final score, with the final 2 rounds being the final. The top 2 teams by aggregate score will play the final, the next 2 will play for third place, and so on.

The distribution is:

15% Directors
10% Places (questions where the answer is a geographic location)
20% Movies
20% Actors
35% Common Links

We’ve done our best to incorporate clues from many different genres, time periods, and countries. Our target difficulty: most players should know the vast majority of answers by the giveaway, as well as a few harder questions to spice things up. As a warning, some clips will have R-rated language (though they are included because those clips are famous or buzzable, not because we think it's hilarious when clues have swearing in them).

We’re very excited to put on this tournament. If you have any questions about the tournament, please reach out to either me or Jules or post in this thread.
Last edited by magin on Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Announcement: Dede Allen Audio Film Tournament (Online, Asynchronous Audio Tournament)--October 18 to October 29

Post by Cheynem »

Really looking forward to this and looking for a teammate, who, er, has seen a movie post-1990.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Re: Announcement: Dede Allen Audio Film Tournament (Online, Asynchronous Audio Tournament)--October 18 to October 29

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

Seeking a teammate who knows non-artsy movies and who knows the names of actors.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Very much looking forward to this!

Pursuant to Will's post, may I ask how arty/trashy this set plans to be?
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:33 pm Pursuant to Will's post, may I ask how arty/trashy this set plans to be?
There will be many questions on classic movies and movies that could be considered art cinema, as well as many questions on movies that could be considered popular or trashy. I can't give you a clear breakdown, since a number of movies could fall in either category, depending on your perspective, but we tried to ask about a wide variety of time periods and genres. Does that help?
Jonathan Magin

funkdaddio
Lulu

Post by funkdaddio »

i would say its a very even and good mix of the two. I purposely left out classic QB movie answer lines in my 50% of the tossups. (Bumpy vibes)
Julien BUMPY Bossé
OttawaU, McGill
Yeah, that's a thing
Lulu

Post by Yeah, that's a thing »

Cheynem wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:25 pm Really looking forward to this and looking for a teammate, who, er, has seen a movie post-1990.
women, fire and dangerous things wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:43 pm Seeking a teammate who knows non-artsy movies and who knows the names of actors.
Hi, friends
Connor Teevens
Detroit Catholic Central '11
Michigan State University '15
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

I've created a sign-up sheet for teams and free agents here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Jonathan Magin

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

The spreadsheet is view only.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

magin
Auron

Post by magin »

Cheynem wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:43 am The spreadsheet is view only.
Sorry, this should be fixed now.
Jonathan Magin

magin
Auron

Post by magin »

We're also looking for playtesters! We're interested in playtesting during the second or third week of September.

If you'd like to playtest these audio film questions, please email me at [email protected]. All are welcome.
Jonathan Magin

magin
Auron

Post by magin »

magin wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:46 am We're also looking for playtesters! We're interested in playtesting during the second or third week of September.

If you'd like to playtest these audio film questions, please email me at [email protected]. All are welcome.
If you'd like to playtest, there's still room--we'd like to start playtesting in a week or two. If you're interested in playtesting, please email me.
Jonathan Magin

magin
Auron

Post by magin »

One quick update: I've heard from a few people asking about the amount of film score clues in this tournament.

There are very few questions where all the clues are taken from film scores. A healthy number of questions have one or two clues taken from film scores to reward that knowledge, but we're trying to avoid questions that require deep knowledge of film scores to buzz in before the giveaway.

The rest of the clues are taken from dialogue, songs, and (occasionally) memorable noises. So if you're worried that you don't know deep cuts from obscure film composers, rest assured that we're not setting out to test that kind of knowledge.
Jonathan Magin

magin
Auron

Post by magin »

Update: Registration on QBlitz is now live! You can register for this tournament by clicking on this link (https://www.qblitz.online/events#Audio_Challenge) and selecting the Dede Allen Audio Film Tournament.

Please contact Noah Prince ([email protected]) with any website issues or if you have any trouble registering your team.
Jonathan Magin

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I've e-mailed about this, but I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this. A couple weeks ago, I had entered the registration code and could see all the upcoming rounds of this tournament. Now, those rounds have disappeared, there's no place to enter the registration code, and I don't see any indication that I'm signed up for this.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

orgoman
Lulu

Post by orgoman »

Mike,

I am having the exact same problem. I e-mailed Noah Prince on Friday and have not heard back yet.

Also - it would be nice to have a post explaining how this will work for those of us who haven't experienced a tournament of this type before.

Chip Horton
Ronald "Chip" Horton
Peripatetic Reader and Quizbowl Enthusiast
funkdaddio
Lulu

Post by funkdaddio »

orgoman wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:47 pm Also - it would be nice to have a post explaining how this will work for those of us who haven't experienced a tournament of this type before.

Chip Horton
Hey Chip,

so basically you will have the entire day to answer your 20 questions, each question will have a format like "name the director" and play ~6 audio clues from movies. When you buzz in your timestamp gets recorded. Whoever between you and your partner answers the question first will be your teams submitted answer. If that answer is incorrect you are negged -5, but if you neg after your partner submits their correct answer you're in the clear. Just like in quizbowl answers delivered at the end of all the clues are not penalized. Obviously do not confer with your teammate until both of you have submitted

your timestamps are then compared to every other team and youre given a score based on how your played against the field.

i hope this answers your question let me know if i can clear anything else up
Julien BUMPY Bossé
OttawaU, McGill
orgoman
Lulu

Post by orgoman »

funkdaddio wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:41 pm
orgoman wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:47 pm Also - it would be nice to have a post explaining how this will work for those of us who haven't experienced a tournament of this type before.

Chip Horton
Hey Chip,

so basically you will have the entire day to answer your 20 questions, each question will have a format like "name the director" and play ~6 audio clues from movies. When you buzz in your timestamp gets recorded. Whoever between you and your partner answers the question first will be your teams submitted answer. If that answer is incorrect you are negged -5, but if you neg after your partner submits their correct answer you're in the clear. Just like in quizbowl answers delivered at the end of all the clues are not penalized. Obviously do not confer with your teammate until both of you have submitted

your timestamps are then compared to every other team and youre given a score based on how your played against the field.

i hope this answers your question let me know if i can clear anything else up
Thanks! Much appreciated.
Ronald "Chip" Horton
Peripatetic Reader and Quizbowl Enthusiast
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Thanks to everyone who emailed to let me know about the errors on the site. I believe those are all fixed now.

All players can expect an email tomorrow to cover procedures and format and such. The registration window is still open through tonight, so we're just waiting for the field to be finalized before we send that out.

Please remember that:
- You'll need to pay your invoice in order to get a registration code.
- You and your teammate need to enter the registration code to play.
Both of these steps should be quick, but they are essential. If you have not yet arranged payment, please do that right away. We can accept credit cards via phone call, or we can bill through PayPal.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Only three rounds in and this set is terrific. Tons of fun.

For those of you worried about difficulty, especially in an audio format, don't be. I would imagine almost every question can be converted if you have film knowledge, give or take obvious holes in one's film watching knowledge. Obviously music knowledge will help, but you don't really need that to be good at this event, as a lot of the questions involve dialogue or sound effects.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Gene Harrogate
Wakka

Post by Gene Harrogate »

Co-sign, this tournament's great. The answerline selection is especially good.
Henry Atkins
ex-McGill
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

Thanks to everyone for playing Dede Allen!

If you'd like to provide feedback, there is a discussion forum set up under the Trash section (viewforum.php?f=19). I believe you have to be logged in and then request authorization to join the 2021 Dede Allen Discussion through the usergroups function of the user control panel. Once you request authorization, Jules or I can approve you and you can see the private discussion forum.
Jonathan Magin

funkdaddio
Lulu

Post by funkdaddio »

Thanks for playing everyone :party:
Julien BUMPY Bossé
OttawaU, McGill
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Bummed that I didn't realize this existed. I don't know how much interest there is, but I'd play if you guys ran it again.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

gyre and gimble wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:37 pm Bummed that I didn't realize this existed. I don't know how much interest there is, but I'd play if you guys ran it again.
Stephen, we are actually planning to run this again for people who didn't play the first time. Stay tuned for an announcement of a future mirror.
Jonathan Magin

Gerald Ford's Economics
Lulu

Post by Gerald Ford's Economics »

magin wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:08 pm
gyre and gimble wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:37 pm Bummed that I didn't realize this existed. I don't know how much interest there is, but I'd play if you guys ran it again.
Stephen, we are actually planning to run this again for people who didn't play the first time. Stay tuned for an announcement of a future mirror.
I'd like to second the interest in a new mirror.
Pedro Juan Orduz
HCHS '21 Boston University '25
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

Jules and I would like to gauge interest in a second mirror of Dede Allen.

If you did not play Dede Allen already but are interested in playing a future mirror, please add your name to this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

For reference, this is a 10 round tournament of pyramidal audio movie questions played by teams of two, with one round every day.

We would like to hold it on QBlitz again, with a tentative start date of January 17, 2022.
Jonathan Magin