CMST II (Fall 2022)

Old college threads.
jmarvin_
Wakka

CMST II (Fall 2022)

Post by jmarvin_ »

I am proud to announce CMST II (this time, it stands for Chicago-Maryland-Spearheaded Tournament), a 3.5-dot difficulty set in the vein of previous fall and pre-Nats opens intended to be played in autumn of 2022. The set is head-edited by myself (John Marvin), alongside editors Wonyoung Jang, Adam Fine, Jason Golfinos, and Clark Smith; we also gladly count among the writers Tim Morrison, James Lasker, Caleb Kendrick, Connor Mayers, Shahar Schwartz, Davis Everson-Rose, and Vikshar Athreya.

This set will feature some format experimentation, but is very much intended to be played as a normal collegiate circuit general tournament in the same slot as past "fall opens." The set will include 14 packets of 22 tossups and bonuses each, plus additional tiebreakers and replacements, according to a non-standard distribution specified below. It will be played as full 22/22 rounds (much like FLopen and the upcoming BHSU open) with two other deviations from standard mACF rules: powers will be awarded as 20 points rather than fifteen, and all "negs" will result in no penalty of deducted points (I have elected to spare you all from the logistical nightmare of getting collegiate moderators to flawlessly execute bouncebacks on bonuses, though if Illinois Open's use of them is well-received I may change my mind). All (powermarked) tossups will be written aiming for 130-175 words in length. The distribution is as follows, with editors for each category listed parenthetically:

4/4 Literature (Wonyoung Jang)

4/4 History (Jason Golfinos)

4/4 Science (Adam Fine)

4/4 Fine Arts (John Marvin, Clark Smith, and Wonyoung Jang)
- 1/1 Classical Music [Renaissance through contemporary Western art/academic music, including musically focused questions on opera and ballet]
- 1/1 Other Music [0.5/0.5 jazz/blues/fusion/etc; 0.5/0.5 other forms of music]
- 1/1 Painting and Sculpture [Renaissance through contemporary]
- 1/1 Other non-Music Arts [including film, architecture, fashion, design, performance or concept art, ancient arts, traditional/folk arts, and questions about opera and ballet/dance centered on the performance aspects rather than the music]

3/3 Thought (John Marvin)
- 1/1 "Philosophy 1" [most of what canonically fits into the quizbowl philosophy distribution: the analytic lineage, the continental lineage, the "modern" European lineage that predates them from the 16th-19th centuries]
- 1/1 "Philosophy 2" [ancient and mediaeval European philosophy, South Asian philosophy, East Asian philosophy, African philosophy, Islamic philosophy, philosophy/theory of race and gender]
- 1/1 "Soft" Social Sciences [anthropology, sociology, literary theory, IR theory, non-quantitative political science and political theory, comparative religion theory, geography theory, historiography and history theory, etc.]

1/1 "Hard" Social Sciences (Clark Smith) [linguistics, economics, psychology, law, quantitative approaches to politics/geography/etc.]

1/1 Religion (John Marvin)

1/1 Geography (John Marvin)

Astute readers will notice two glaring absences relative to the typical mACF 20/20 distribution: a lack of mythology and current events content. Fear not! One of the experimental choices made in this set is a decentralized distribution of 1/1 Mythology guaranteed per packet (and some unspecified amount of current events spread about as well). Mythology-centered questions will appear in the Literature, History, Thought, Geography, and Religion distributions; the intent is that the same mythology knowledge will be tested as expected in a typical packet, but that it will be filtered through the lenses of the various other realms and disciplines in which it appears. The philosophy behind this and other editorial decisions can be discussed in due time, when the set has actually been produced and played. Note also that, in order to control difficulty, we are quantitatively tracking that at least 50% of tossup answer-lines are appropriate for collegiate regular difficulty, and that there is no more than 1 highly difficult or canon-expanding answer-line per packet.

We will solicit mirrors and organize playtesting in due time. Presently (3/25), the set is about 1/3 written. Due to uncertainty in the lives of several key players in the set production, we'd like to state here and now that, should it appear that the set will not be healthily completed in its best possible state by fall 2022, we will be sure to announce several months in advance that the set will be postponed - we do not, however, anticipate this to be the case.

We are looking forward to sharing this set with you next autumn!
Last edited by jmarvin_ on Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.
john marvin
university of chicago - joint ph.d., philosophy and philosophy of religions, 2028
university of chicago - m.a. philosophy of religions, 2021
boston college - b.a. theology, 2018
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: CMST II (Fall 2022)

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

jmarvin_ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:47 pm 4/4 Fine Arts (John Marvin, Clark Smith, and Wonyoung Jang)
- 1/1 Classical Music [Renaissance through contemporary Western art/academic music, including musically focused questions on opera and ballet]
- 1/1 Other Music
I feel compelled to ask: what, other than jazz, do you foresee going in the second category here?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

jmarvin_ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:47 pm (much like FLopen and the upcoming BHSU open)
Buddy the U in BHSU stands for open
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
jmarvin_
Wakka

Post by jmarvin_ »

Auks Ran Ova wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:14 pm I feel compelled to ask: what, other than jazz, do you foresee going in the second category here?
I'm glad you asked! Jazz (and its antecedents / outgrowths) will occupy about half of this subdistribution, while the other half will be home to non-Western traditional and art music as well as some Western traditional non-academic stuff (say, Hindustani or Carnatic "classical" music, Gamelan music, Tango, Samba, European folk traditions to give a limited random smattering) and artistically relevant popular music (for instance, Americana, hip-hop, Asian/African/Latin-American popular music, non-academic electronic music movements like house or [the authentic, pre-bro] dubstep, musical theater written with attention to the music and not the performance aspects, etc.). We want to deliberately avoid anything in this 1/1 being essentially "trash," and everything is or will be written through the lens of (ethno)musicological and cultural-historical interest; it's hard to explain further what I mean by this distinction without spoiling contents, so I hope it gives you enough of an idea. All of the non-canonical "world"-y materials will be asked about in a careful way so as to remain as playable as everything else - you don't have to be scared of any tossups on erhu playing technique or a B-list pop star from Azerbaijan or something.
john marvin
university of chicago - joint ph.d., philosophy and philosophy of religions, 2028
Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams
Wakka

Post by Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams »

In a different universe, the BHSU editors weren't cowards and named their set CMST 2, thus forcing the editors of this set to name it CMST 1.5. Never forget what they took from you :sad: :sad: :sad:
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
UMN (dual enrollment) '19
Cornell ???
jmarvin_
Wakka

Post by jmarvin_ »

jmarvin_ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:26 pm
Auks Ran Ova wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:14 pm I feel compelled to ask: what, other than jazz, do you foresee going in the second category here?
I'm glad you asked! Jazz (and its antecedents / outgrowths) will occupy about half of this subdistribution, while the other half will be home to non-Western traditional and art music as well as some Western traditional non-academic stuff (say, Hindustani or Carnatic "classical" music, Gamelan music, Tango, Samba, European folk traditions to give a limited random smattering) and artistically relevant popular music (for instance, Americana, hip-hop, Asian/African/Latin-American popular music, non-academic electronic music movements like house or [the authentic, pre-bro] dubstep, musical theater written with attention to the music and not the performance aspects, etc.). We want to deliberately avoid anything in this 1/1 being essentially "trash," and everything is or will be written through the lens of (ethno)musicological and cultural-historical interest; it's hard to explain further what I mean by this distinction without spoiling contents, so I hope it gives you enough of an idea. All of the non-canonical "world"-y materials will be asked about in a careful way so as to remain as playable as everything else - you don't have to be scared of any tossups on erhu playing technique or a B-list pop star from Azerbaijan or something.
We realized it was worth clarifying that this "other music" distribution will be exactly half jazz (plus blues, fusion, etc) and half non-jazz. Our current plan is to packetize such that every packet has 0.5/0.5 jazz+ and 0.5/0.5 other non-jazz-non-classical music (so if a given packet has a jazz tossup, it will have a non-jazz bonus, and vice versa).
john marvin
jmarvin_
Wakka

Post by jmarvin_ »

I'd like to put out a call for any writers who are interested in contributing any amount of science, history, and literature questions. We could especially use some additional science, since one of our key writers for that category left the project for personal reasons. History and Literature are still in good shape personnel-wise, but they are big enough categories and our lives busy enough that any amount of contribution in those sections would be much appreciated. Between myself and the other authors, we don't need anything additional outside of the big three, as we have no shortage of ideas and interest for rounding the other categories out. Of course, if one were to get involved on the set for one of the big 3 and had some particularly cool ideas for other categories, we would by no means turn them down. Even without additional writers, we can still see this thing through with the present lineup - be wary not to confuse this post for a red flag regarding the set's future - but we'd like to make as good a set as possible and taking on additional contributions (especially science) will improve the quality of everything the current writers go on to produce.

Other than this unfortunate science situation, the set is progressing quite well, and is still on track to be playtested and ready by late autumn this year for the "Fall Open" slot. We hope to bring you an excellent quizbowl experience.
john marvin
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Are there any concrete plans for mirrors of this tournament in place? Looking forward very much to playing, just want to make appropriate plans.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Hi y'all. I'll be organizing hosting logistics for this tournament!

The set will be available for mirrors staring on November 19th, 2022. We will be open to people running this tournament into the first couple months of 2023.

Sites:
Northeast: MIT (12/10/22)
Mid-Atlantic: Maryland (12/3/22)
Southeast: Georgia Tech (11/19/22)
Midwest: Chicago (11/19/22)
California: UC Berkeley (12/17/22)
Canada: March 2023
UK: 11/15/22
Online: TBD

If your institution is in any of the regions above that do not have a mirror (or is in a region not listed that you think can support a site!) and is interested in hosting, please reach out to me at cjmayers [at] comcast [dot] net.
Last edited by Tippy Martinez on Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
connor mayers
maryland
jmarvin_
Wakka

Post by jmarvin_ »

There will be an online playtest mirror of this set on either 11/12 or 11/13, as determined by a poll. See here for further details.
john marvin
jmarvin_
Wakka

Post by jmarvin_ »

This set is now clear, and has been uploaded to the archive. We hope everyone enjoyed their time with it, and are happy to continue any discussion of the set in its subforum (to which anyone interested is now invited).
john marvin
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

jmarvin_ wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:45 pm This set is now clear, and has been uploaded to the archive. We hope everyone enjoyed their time with it, and are happy to continue any discussion of the set in its subforum (to which anyone interested is now invited).
For what it's worth, it may be easier to apply to make the forum public, rather than having it be private but all invited. I can't quite remember the process, but I think there was a forum thread about it last year.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

There was; just send a request to the admin email!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT